Geocaching. Or Not...

Metaphor

One of the first beautiful weekends of the Mid-Atlantic... Cache Across Maryland-- 10 caches and 1100 miles of driving (of which one placed is mine)... caches here, caches there...and I didn't look for one. Instead I worked in the garden, planting veggies, and enjoyed it.

What did you do, rather than go geocaching this weekend?

Cached some with a buddy yesterday, Metaphor. <_< Today went to Target, hit one cache, and sat on my rear most of the day to relax before next weekend's CITO (and finishing up the Cache Across Maryland caches). Oh, and I gave my rottie a bath... she sure needed it! My shar-pei watched in horror thinking she was next but she's pretty clean. She's a bit more prissy :ph34r:

I just got back from delivering a truckload of furniture to my Mom in StLouis, and while there caught my nephew's "last great performance" as Harold Hill in the school play at my old High School alma mater (he's a graduating senior, and is leaving to study for the priesthood, so no more drama for him.....then again, maybe just new drama of a different sort....).

And now I'm catching up on what I missed in the forums for the past couple days.....boy, never a dull moment with this crowd....

<_<

I no longer have weekends off (I work Monday - Saturday) but I got a surprise day off yesterday, so I spent the day CACHING with my favorite person. I couldn't think of anything else I'd rather do than hike 6 miles in the first "warm" weather of the year! This morning I got up early and made a FTF attempt (logged a DNF, like everyone else), came home, thought about doing work or housework or just lazing about reading, but instead spent the day CACHING!!!!! It was a balmy 70 degrees as my buddy Speedy38 and I dodged the briar on Eel River.

The weather is supposed to get cooler and rainy over the next day or two, so I figured I'd better get while the gettin's good!

There are things to do on weekends besides geocache?

I met 8 other Alabama geocachers and 10 geocachers from Tennessee in Attalla Alabama at 7 a.m. Saturday, we cached there for two hours, then headed south 100 miles to the AGA's Spring Fling, the transmission blew in my Suburban in Birmingham so I piled in with the Tennessee folks and we kept going to Verbena Alabama for the event. Found some caches there, picked up some more cachers and five carloads of us cached our way 50 miles back to Birmingham where we cached until 5 a.m. this morning!

70+ caches found, new friends made, old friends visited, the laughter never slowed down, lifetime memories made for all of us...

Why would I do anything else on a weekend?! :anicute::anicute:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Went Geocaching Saturday, planned to start at daybreak, but missed that by some 5 hours. Still hit 26 caches (plus 3 DNFs), where my old personal best was 9 in a day. Met three other cachers out on the trail, two of them in the same park.

I did drive the Geo Prizm instead of one of the gas guzzlers, though.

Today (Sunday) I spent half the day recovering, then got on my bicycle for a 20 mile trip and spent the rest of the day recovering from that.

I need more of these weekends before the pool warms up enough to go swimming. Then Geocaching will be pushed back to priority #2.

My first day this year riding the mountain bike! I rode along my favorite rails-to-trails, which had been wiped out from Hurricane Ivan and it's still in rough shape in some spots. I have a multicache along the trail so I checked on it, repaired the flood damage and got it re-enabled. I also did cache maintenance on one of my other caches and hid two new ones. Finally, I did a lot of volunteer work for geocaching, including a major favor for a dear friend, which made me feel good.

So, 12 hours spent on geocaching but zero finds. I'm happy as a clam!

I got back from skiing in Utah (no cache finds out there though there were some in the area) and yesterday, after unpacking, we decided to combine a cache hunt/hike and did a scenic, 4 mile loop and bagged 3 caches along the way.

Today, I spent the early part of the day playing in the dirt, working at an ongoing archaeological excavation where I'm a staff member. We were cleaning up the site from the winter and preparing it for the spring field school which starts next week. I left there early to get to the season opener for the U-16 girls travel soccer team that I coach (we won 4-0).

It would have been a geocaching free day if not for a terracache that was placed near the dig site. I hit that one while walking out to the site. My first terracache.

Edited by briansnat

Yesterday I stayed home and played in the forums, while my better half went to the beach to studyfor a test. (I wasn't allowed to go, I would have distracted her, she says)

Today, we drove 60 miles to Sleepy Hollow, NY. Had a great day wandering around the 400yr old cemetery there. Saw the graves of Washington Irving (author of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" ) and Walter Chrysler, William Rockefeller, among others.

Then went over to Rockwood Hall which was the home of William Rockefeller in the late 1800's, and is now a park with an awesome view of the Hudson River. Had a nice picnic lunch there. Then went over to a few other parks with some nice vistas.

Did about 5.5 miles of hiking. Oh, and we even found 8 caches along the way. All decent caches too. One was from 2000. What a great day!

I was in a bad mood at the end of the week and it was GirlGeek's birthday today, so we headed down to Southern Ohio and spent time around Lake Hope, one of the treasures of Ohio. Saw the areas of a lot of great caches but we were helpless since my Palm disappeared somewhere this week and we didn't have time to print all the caches. :anicute:

But, we spent some time doing stuff like watching satellites, making up words for the woodpecker conversations, watching beavers play in the dusk, and stuff that goes along with all that.

Seems to make slugging through the week worth all that. We did find two caches, a Locationless for her, and took the first steps in readying an Earth Cache.

It was an absolutely glorious weekend in NC. Sometimes I like to find special caches for the round numbers, so yesterday I took a 5+ mile riverside stroll to find Flow of the Haw for find #1600. :smile:

Along for the ride were my new geopals justmike and curmudgeonlygal who recently moved here. The waters were roiling from all the rains earlier in the week. It reminded me that I missed out on fall whitewater rafting season last year, and I do not plan on letting that happen again this year. We also found a few others along the way, and paid a visit to the resident trail gnome/wizard. :anicute:

Today we went to see a documentary short written, directed, produced and soundtracked by a friend that was shown at the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival. It's one of if not the most prestigous doc festival in the country, equilivent to Sundance. I'm really pround of Terry, and it was a great film. :grin: Then I test drove a Toyota Solara convertible :grin: ; I think we're getting one to replace Shadowgal's old Passat. Then I DNF'd a cache in a Nature Preserve in a suburban subdivision.

I got home just in time to see the end of the Masters and cook up a yummy dinner.

Yup, it was a great weekend. :anicute:

It was planning and caching for me. I was deciding what cache would make a good milestone cache and got back home around 11 pm. Oh, I also grumbled about gas prices although they have gone from 2.24 on Wednesday to 2.19 Thursday to 2.11 Friday to 2.09 Saturday and I filled up today @ 2.05. Amazing how it was dropping each day, isn't it? I wondered what it would be in the morning but I wasn't going to push it.

Well, starting Friday after work, I went to son's soccer practice, made breakfast for the homeless mission, reformatted my wife's crashed notebook. On Saturday served the homeless breakfast, went to work for a couple hours, son's soccer game (lost 9-4), reloaded some of wife's software, took the kids and a neighbor GEOCACHING (4 for 4). On Sunday we went to church, then to son's rescheduled soccer game (lost 10-0, ouch), mowed the lawn, trimmed the redbud, dismantled a piece of play equipment that the kids had outgrown, then crashed on the lazyboy.

I'm sure glad it's Monday and I'm back at work...I NEED THE REST !!! :blink:

I bid on some PDAs on eBay, and snagged a couple (one for me, one for wife). Got the 8mb expandable Clie s320 for $28 shipped. :-)

Had to pay a bit more for the Palm m500, but that's ok ($41). I'm making the move to paperless caching.

Since the PDAs haven't gotten here yet, I downloaded the the PalmOS emulator off the Palm developer's site (registration required).

Works great. I'm toying with the FS emulator to mount an imaginary SD card and moving plucker/pdb to it to save memory. Pretty neat software. Does graffiti and everything using the mouse. And since it's a dev environment it spots memory leaks and other bad behaviour in software.

If you're half-techie and want to try out Palm paperless caching software without buying a Palm then go grab the emulator...

Went caching in the Findlay, OH area on Saturday with nine other cachers on one of my BVCY Hair-Brained cache outings. It was a wonderful day in the lower 70's with plenty of sunshine and great company. Snagged 31 caches with a confluence cache being the highlight cache of the day.

WHAT a beautiful Saturday, went though withdrawals - as I did NOT cache at all!

Worked one of the holes, passing our beer/sodas at a golf tournament for the Make-A-Wish Foundation fund raiser . . . it was fun, really fun. Sitting there between golfer 4-somes, I spotted some great cache hiding places (heh-heh), caching never got off my mind . . . I am suffering the shakes now - gotta go!

Worked one of the holes, passing our beer/sodas at a golf tournament for the Make-A-Wish Foundation fund raiser . . . it was fun, really fun. Sitting there between golfer 4-somes, I spotted some great cache hiding places (heh-heh), caching never got off my mind . . . I am suffering the shakes now - gotta go!

Did you plant some caches out there between thirsty people?

Did you plant some caches out there between thirsty people?

Oh yeah we did 21 in caching excellent Fort Worth, Texas

I have to agree with Grandpa Alex on both parts. It was a beautiful weekend in NC and I couldn't go caching either. :laughing: The grass is growing too fast and my better half wanted some things done in the garden. There is good news however, I hit a couple of caches during lunch today so I'm feeling much better. :lol:

Saturday went to my sons first invitational track meet....unaware that it was going to be a seven hour event. I am usually pretty good about being in the sun all day, usually i bring sunblock, especially when caching. However saturday I didn't have my caching bag, but I did bring a cooler full of snacks. Needless to say I got SUNBURNED.

Now for those of you not of the fair skin persuasion you may not understand what the words "seven hours in the sun, SUNBURNED" means. It means your skin burns like on fire and looks as if you have submerged your body in a pot of boiling water.....It sucks!! So I spent the hour and half drive home with A/C on full blast, then spent the remainder of the weekend on the couch attampting not to move while breathing, or as I smeared aloe gel with lidocaine all over my skin.

Now the weekend is over, and I still haven't left the house because my skin still burns, and i couldn't take the ridicule if i did manage to go anywhere, people always have to say, "hey, your sunburned" when they see a totally fried human being, and i don't have the patience to answer them with anything other than, "here's your sign!"

So, this week is going to be a bit cooler, and hopefully next weekend i will get out and hit a couple of caches while still in the cool spring weather.

It was an absolutely beautiful weekend in southwestern Pennsylvania.

Which is why it was such a shame to be at home, doing yard work. We had planned a little time Sunday to do maintenance, and place a new one, but that didn't quite work out.

On the other hand, a coworker of my father who we got interested in geocaching took his daughter out and found their first two on saturday..

Played Magic: The Gathering, and Matrix Online... played with my cats... messed around with my rock tumbler (belt keeps slipping off). Beautiful weekend outside, but klove had homework to do from college. :laughing:

My rock tumbler belt did that some. After kicking it a few times and then slightly oiling it I got it to stay. Ummm, I over oiled it first though and that made it worse! Try a small amount. Although maybe it was kicking it that worked. Who knows? :lol:

I reached a milestone on SaturdayCache Event . I hid 10 caches for the event. I also had to find over 30 caches, in 8 days, in order to make it to the big number. Now my wife has taken my Geocaching priveleges away for a few weeks. I spent all of Sunday doing honey dos. I weeded over 1/2 of an acre, plus lots of in house cleaning projects too.