SCREEN NAME IS MORE THAN AN ALIAS

My user name is my first and second names transliterated from the Zerubian language. (It's one that I am attempting to develop for creative excursions, such as science fiction, so it's not real...yet, but it might show up in a puzzle cache of mine. :) ) The more direct connection is that I was studying physical chemistry in graduate school, and one of the big equations in that field is S=k ln W. One year, I had a vanity plate, S K LN W, and given that my first name is Kelly and last name starts with W, a connection was made. The KLN part simply evolved into Keillan (KAY-lin), and the "S" gives it a more distinct feel.

It could be more insane as I might have used my Zerubian third name, Ejyoszi (meaning Light of the Midnight Star). :P

wE DON'T THINK YOU CAN GET ANY MORE INSANE, kELLY! :ph34r::P

Quite a den of cats you have there. I like short-haired cats. It isn't just the hair, either. Long hair cats just seem less active. Maybe it is my imagination.

Longhaired cats ARE less active. Until one gets them trimmed. We have a long haired tabby....he gets bouncy when his hair is short (in the hot months--most of them here in TX).

A family trait is our larger than normal ears that stick out---kinda like a wing-nut. When our daughters enjoyed caching so much I suggested they have their own nickname. They quickly passed on nutlets but but reluctantly agreed that wing-lets had enough "cool" for them

Edited by wing-nut

Well, now that I've made comments in response to other people's posts, I guess I'll 'splain my SN.

One day, a few years ago, I was at work, lurking on a big conference call. (I really only needed to know the result, not actually participate.)

Anyway, the call started with a problem and simple solution already determined. Over the course of the call, the solution became incredibly complicated.

Based on the "common version" of Occam's Razor, "The simplest solutions is usually the best," I protested by immediately running out to AOL/AIM and Yahoo/YM and trying to register "occam." Of course it was already taken so I ended up with occam001 on each.

Later, a livejournal user got me started on that site and occam was taken. I didn't want to use the 001 there so I didn't register...the following day he suggested 0ccam (that's a zero) and it worked, so I am using that on livejournal.com, geocaching.com, Waymarking.com, navicache.com.

Google Mail required 6 characters, so it's something else. I try to get "0ccam" anytime I can, and "occam" if that fails, I'll fall back to the IM names, I guess.

When I was little, I drew a picture of my dad (BomberJohn) next to a jet plane (because he was in the Air Force) and wrote Bomber above the plane and John above my dad. He became BomberJohn and I called myself BomberJjr because my name is also John (although I'm not actually considered John Jr. because we have different middle names).

Started at toddwasillaag, which came from my email address of todd@wasillaag.org. Kinda stupid, huh. My wife hated it. Right before the lock down on name changes, I knew it was now or never for a change. We live in Alaska, and our last name is Stafford, so I came up with AKStafford. My parents cache in Oregon, and my brother caches in Washington, so I tried to get them to go ORStafford and WAStafford, but they aren't the team players I'd hoped they'd be.

Started out using my screenname and common handle drinkeii (first initial, last name, roman numeral II) from my email account in college. Then changed to FireRef, since those are two of my hobbies, being a teacher by profession, a volunteer fireman, and a sports official for several sports. I like the new handle, plus it doesn't sound like I'm drinking all the time - haha...

"Velvet" is the name of a character in one of my favorite series of books (the Belgariad/Mallorean series by David Eddings). She is the Huntress...a spy and an assassin who kicks some serious a** and traipsed all over the series' magical world to do it. I was looking for a hunting-type name and thought of her since hopefully I'll be able to cache all over the world, and that's how it came about.

Funny enough, there's another cacher in the same city who also chose her name from this same series!

A looooonnnnggg time ago I was given a nickname "madmike" for my insane willingness to take on the monster tasks at work that no one else wanted and "tame" them.

The name stuck and I've used it frequently on the internet for many years, including my website, madmike.com (which you are welcome to visit, but is horribly out of date and contains absolutely no info about geocaching).

When I signed up here, it seems that "madmike" was taken, so I thought a "geo" name would be fun. The first thing that came to mind were those stickers you see on delivery vehicles that say "driver carries no cash" and I came up with Driver Carries Cache.

There it is!

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

Hmm, well I've used this name since back when AOL was in 1.something :laughing:

Originally it was the name of a horse I used to ride, then I used it to name a RPG character of mine, then it became my messenger name and then email. I have also been known as Pirate Lass, but I didn't think about that when I made my account - and it's too late to change now. LOL

And since I get asked quite often - it's pronounced dar-shee-ell

My handle is a combination of parts of two words. I created it years ago when I first step foot into the Internet. The voices in my head said "You are Trizumi, set forth and do good things". Well, since then I have used the name for everything I have done on 'net.

My screen name...It was 'given' to me by a clerk in a 7-11 late one night while I was setting out for a hunt (I usually don't leave home until 10:00 PM or so)...It was a good spirited jab at my attire, as I was wearing a kangaroo leather hat fresh from Australia, and JimInPotomac and Sherman T. Potter (two close friends and caching pals)quickly picked up the name. It has now become a sort of reward to me. It's always cool to be knighted with a nick name, and in this case, a true honor for me because of what it represents.

-Cracker in the Hat

I thought I'd already posted to this years ago, but I guess not. Anyways, We got our nick before we found geocaching. My husband and I had been out hunting and what started out as a beautiful day turned into a weather nightmare. Long story short, even tho we both had compasses, 10 degrees differences between the two of them put us 2 miles from our truck. Funny how you can walk all day and have a great time till you realize you may be

lost,l then the boots gain 10 lbs each and every rock and log out there reaches up and trips you. Anyways, hubby decided it was time for us to invest in a gps and it was my job to learn to use it. Thats how I found this website. Even though we don't get out much I do enjoy it and have gotten a few friends into it. :unsure:

Navyg8tor is a combination of a few different things:

First, I am in the Canadian Navy;

Second, I drive a Lincoln Navigator;

Third, it is a reference to the use of navigational equipment used in the game;

Lastly, the 8 is just to make it look a little different and to help it stick in the head.

When I first signed up on the site I had my first name as my handle and it was kind of boring, so I though this one up, then started a new account with it when I had my first find.

My screenname on many other message boards has been One Sweet Shannon for years, adapted from a Dave Matthews Band Song and my first name. For geocaching we wanted a family nickname and my then-fiance's last name was Paugh (We've since married on Valentine's Day this year). It was one of his sons that actually came up with the name Bear Paughs and we all liked it.

(I do have a personal travel bug with which I record my miles and our adventures, and the TB name is One Sweet Shannon.)

Edited by Bear Paughs

My father and step-mother introduced my family to geocaching after I lost a pregnancy this spring. I was very depressed and looking for a way to turn our tragedy around. My DH and I decided that we needed to live life to the fullest and enjoy it a little more and my father thought that geocaching would help us do just that. He took us out on some hunts, showed us the ropes, we enjoyed it as a family and jumped in with both feet. Since this is intended to be a family activity for us, we named our "team" after our young son. He's a wee little geo-tracker (1 1/2 years old) and loves to go out with us on the hunt. Mommy and Daddy, and anyone else that wants to join us, are his brigade :laughing:

Edited by Brayden's Brigade

Well Ive always hated coming up with email address, screen names, and the like. I want something funny, imaginative, descriptive... and doesn't get outdated every time Ichange my hair color... hmmm.

So Team J.A.R. - its a family thing. We cache with my in-laws. My father in law, brother in-law, and youngest son all have the initials J.A.R.

Now I'm trying to come up with something cool for my personal sn so we can use the other for a title.

We enjoy reading all the creative geo-names in the postings! When we were trying to come up with a good name, the first couple of names we thought of were already being used. We finally made a long list and agreed on a few; the one that got through is the one we are using. It works for us because when we were dating back in our college days - please don't ask how long ago - we used to go to a park to do our homework but we always ended up feeding the flock of ducks on the lake instead of doing our schoolwork. And now we drive a van, so we are the ducks in the van. Oh, we also leave little duckies as our signature trading items!

ok... I'm stealing this thread idea from the West/Southwest regional forum.

Tell us how you come up with your geocaching screen name...

I'll start first.

Ozymandiasism

Ozymandias is one of my favorite poems that I learnt in highschool. Have always liked the idea behind it and so, naturally.... it becomes one of my screen names. "Ozymandias" is a rather common screen name, and therefore, I added the "ism" after it.

Ozymandias

Percy Bysshe Shelley

1792-1822

I met a traveler from an antique land

Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,

And on the pedestal these words appear:

"
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:

Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Ours is obvious. lol

We give out Scratch-n-Win tickets when we visit caches for trades.

We also created a Scratch-n-Win coin to scratch those lucky tickets.

;)

ok... I'm stealing this thread idea from the West/Southwest regional forum.

Tell us how you come up with your geocaching screen name...

I'll start first.

Ozymandiasism

Ozymandias is one of my favorite poems that I learnt in highschool. Have always liked the idea behind it and so, naturally.... it becomes one of my screen names. "Ozymandias" is a rather common screen name, and therefore, I added the "ism" after it.

Ozymandias

Percy Bysshe Shelley

1792-1822

I met a traveler from an antique land

Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,

And on the pedestal these words appear:

"
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:

Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

You know... I just wanted to start a thread that can be fun to read and will tell us a little bit about each other in this forum. I guess my attempt of starting something drama free is apparently a failure. God knows we complain enough here.

But if more people feel this way. I will close the thread

I call myself Sawblade5 due to the fact or opinion that the Kansas State route shield does look kinda like a sawblade and because Kansas 5 is the closest state route to me. BTW I do love my state route shield.

Here is what the Kansas State Route Shield looks like:

a6c9db46-967a-449b-9caf-9402fdf10c57.jpg

You know... I just wanted to start a thread that can be fun to read and will tell us a little bit about each other in this forum. I guess my attempt of starting something drama free is apparently a failure. God knows we complain enough here.

Noone said it is a bad thread or anything, just the wrong location. This is for threads about Geocoins. If it would have been posted in the General forums, noone would have said a word, other than pointing you to the other threads on the same topic of course.

we had 9 people living under the same roof for years. 2 adults 3, children we had, 2 we adopted, and 2 grandchildren. (The Gang) and our address is 501.

It has always been easier to write the 501 Gang on things instead of writting out everyone's name, so when we started caching we just carried it on to caching.

Hence the 501_Gang

Ours is easy......

We have 3 daughters: Sam, Ash & Maddie

<======== Thats them over there!

Not a bad thread at all just listed in the wrong forum, maybe a mod could move it.

Back OT:

Team: Family

J: Jake (me)

S: Steph (wife)

A: Abby (5yr old)

M: Maddy (3yr old)

Wow JSAM, my name is Steph too and our daughter is Maddie too! ;)

"Hailmars" comes from a TV show on HBO about a decade ago. The show was a Sci Fi / Horror series that featured a different story each week.

The phrase "Hailmars" was a greeting given by Martians that were an advance scout for the "Invasion" on Halloween ..you know the story. They would give a roman style salute along with this greeting.

The nickname got stuck to me because the week after this episode aired a group of friends and I went to Columbus Ohio to hear General Robin Olds speak about his WW2 and Vietnam War exploits at the US Air Force Museum. Well as we roved around the displays (it is a very LARGE building) we would greet each other in this manor.

Well by the time the General was set to speak we observed his Honor guard of no less than four USAF blue beret Air Commandos greeting each other with the same salute. Needless to say that made quite an impression on everyone in the area having known just where this activity had started in the first place !! ;)

FWIW

Hailmars !!!

About 13 years ago, I made his up for IRC chat in college.

My grandfather ALWAYS played the mandolin. I loved the way it sounded (both the name & the music). Mandolin was kinda like Madeline.

I decided, at 18, that it needed to sound/read more girly - so I tinkered with it to make it what it is today!

Mandollyn

Well...my daughters name is Madelaine. Which has nothing to do with my nick, but it seems to be a sub-thread here!

My nick comes from waaaaay back when I bought some shares in a local BBS (we used to have the cheapest Internet access in town! Only $1 per hour! <-- yes, you read that correctly).

Anyhow, I wanted a nick that was new, exciting, and somehow related to pirates! "Scurvy Dog"? "Black Dog"? "New-Improved Lemon Fresh Dog"?.........

So I have had this name for YEARS....long before caching. Apparently it is also the name of some flower ... but that remains unconfirmed and is not part of my official mythos.

Noone said it is a bad thread or anything, just the wrong location. This is for threads about Geocoins. If it would have been posted in the General forums, noone would have said a word, other than pointing you to the other threads on the same topic of course.

After a couple years following these forums, I'm quite convinced someone would have found something to complain/whine about even if it was in a dedicated forum entitled "Discussions about your name threads". There are far too many people who make sport out of nit-picking other people on these forums ;)

If this topic had been put in another area, I never would have seen it. And I'd love to hear why people in the geocoin world call themselves what they do...

I've been told my geonick is lame. I used to work at Microsoft, and they gave me the alias "chrisgun" because my name is Chris Gunnerson. At MS (I am not there any longer), we actually called each other by our nick, so I really tended to identify with mine. If chrisgun had already been taken in the geocaching world, I wonder what I would have called myself....