SCREEN NAME IS MORE THAN AN ALIAS

We were driving to my first cache and my boyfriend PolskiKrol forced me to make up a name (b/c i couldn't just sign the log with my real name) Not knowing quite how obsessed we'd end up with geocaching, I said ThirstyMick as a joke, based off of his name, and my personal (half) Irishness, and bright red hair. It was supposed to be funny not mean.. but I'm a little embarassed now when I introduce myself to other cachers! I've thought about changing it, but at this point it would be a lot of work..

As a side note PolskiKrol and I are beer fanatics, travelling all over the Northeast to taste local brews and cache. I also homebrew. And drink a lot of water, see me getting defensive?

Edited by ThirstyMick

Guess mine's pretty simple to figure out... I live in North Carolina (NC) and I'm a parole officer. Sometimes when I call my clients on the phone and a family member answers, I can hear them say in the background, "It's your parole lady." Always sounded funny to me so I decided to go with it, hence...NCPAROLELADY.

Edited by ncparolelady

Mine came from an extended family hobby. We make Maple Syrup. When I first started helping out, I was a little overzealous and was always trying to figure out how to get more and faster. One of they guys mentioned that if I could squeeze the trees I would. Since the first cache we found was near one of the places we collect sap, we decided to use that name.

Edited by TreeSqueezers

Hi everybody,

this topic is not that recent but I'm new in geocaching and I read the old topics which are all interesting for a neocacher as me. ;)

I choose my nickname because of the metaphor of the butterfly.

"When a caterpillar makes its transformation into a butterfly, it is not an easy process. The little butterfly struggles to break free of the cocoon. In that very process of struggling to get out, the butterfly exercises its wing muscles and builds up the necessary strength to fly. If someone compassionately cut open the cocoon to make it easier for the butterfly, it will never gain the strength to fly. Instead it just dies."

I feel close to this metaphor because I managed my life myself and I am happy to make my own decision. And I think that bad experiences always have someting positive.

what doesn't kill you make you stronger, don't you agree ? ;)

the number is the number of my county in France (other people choose chrysalis, so, I had to add a number)

happy cache

my boyfriend discovered caching a year ago this past september and since then its been one of the little things we do together as a couple. = CUPL

we are from the county (i.e. out in the boondocks with nothing around but fields and rednecks) and i LOVE cows. = COWNTY

thus, CowntyCupl.

:laughing:

.............. i never said it was an interesting story, but you asked!

I used to play a game called Ultima Online. It's an online roleplaying game and it allows you to have a bunch of different characters. I decided to give all my characters the same last name so I came up with Elicate as the last name. It was just random. Now I use it when I cant think of a nickname on websites. It doesnt seem to be used that often so that helps. For instance I use it as my Xbox Live account name too.

Our screen name is an easy one:

Our first love is enjoying our RV lifestyle;

and we are from the Great State of Iowa.

Though we don't really have a long term goal, it will be interesting to see how many different states we can locate caches in. Right now it's just three, Iowa, Missouri and Florida; that list should grow a bit over the next year :P

Dick & Pat

RV'n Iowans

my wife name is Karen and mine is Jason. Pretty simple but we have a twist... In the car world a Jeep Liberty model from the years 2002-2007 is known as a Jeep KJ. The model designation has something to do with type of motor (K) and body style (J). How does this tie into us? We both drive Jeep Liberty's and love them so KJcachers works in 2 ways for us!

Edited by KJcachers

I went for my overall alias-for everything. But how I got FrogBlaster77 is a different story. On one vacation in Poland, some of the kids on the street called me Frog because there were four other guys with my name, which made a game of soccer really hard to play. So the name stuck. And seven is my soccer number, so that's where that came from. Where did blaster come from? Well, SevenFrogs just doesn't fit me. So I added some random word to make FrogBlaster77. :)

Not exiting but this is how the name came about.

It was early spring and across the street I saw what appeared to be about 200 yellow ping pong balls jumping around in the neighbors’ yard by the bird feeder. I asked my wife what they were and she told me they were Gold Finches. I ran out and purchased just about enough bird feeders to consume a 50# bag of Niger seed. I placed them all over the yard so I could have them also and multiple people started to call me the finch farmer.

Boring but true. :blink:

TFF

"SweetnSour" was my CB Radio handle back in the days of old (My mother was the Queen of CB's, so I grew up around a CB...also known as the 'internet of the 80's'). When I moved to Austin a few years back, I just added that on. What's funny is that everyone assumes I use this name because I like sweet and sour sauce...and I hate the stuff!

Edited by AustinSweetnSour

First time I ever saw this thread. Guess I need to pay more attention.

We bought an Astro van in 1990 when our son was an infant. We decided to get the vanity plate WRASTRO as a play on Astro, the Jetson's dog. We added a couple of license plate brackets that said "Jane stop this crazy thing" and "I ruv you rorge" as well as a small, stuffed Astro doll. In 1998 we bought our second Astro van and kept all of the toys. When we started geocaching there was no doubt what our caching name would be.

Plus, we have a daughter as well, so we are the perfect Jetsons caching family. George, Jane, Elroy and Judy.

My geo-name is a derivative of my nickname of many years, "Firestarter." (Some just decided Sparky worked as well....)

I got that nickname when I accidentally lit myself on fire.

Really.

:anicute:

I got all the e's at the end when I had to add that many to "spark," just to get a hotmail account. (IOW, Sparke was used, Sparkee was used, Sparkeee was used, etc) I hardly ever used the hotmail.... :unsure:

Edited by sparkeeeee

What the heck I'll play. Most people think it means Also Known As: Ivy Leaf, but thats not correct. My sorority letters are ]Alpha Kappa Alpha, one of our symbols is the English Ivy Leaf. Thus producing:akaivyleaf. It takes one to know one, so I'm always very pleasantly suprised when someone recognizes and understands my caching name for what it really is.

Edited by akaivyleaf

Our name comes from the first geocache we ever found: The First in Wales.

It's on a high ridge called The Blorenge, overlooking the town of Abergavenny. It was a blustery, chilly day and MrB had just got to grips with his new GPS. After spending 40 minutes stumbling around over ankle-breaking rocks we were muttering things like, "This is a really silly idea, this doesn't work, geocaching's hopeless..." when suddenly we found it! :laughing:

And we're still playing this silly game ;)

MrsB

My name is Chris.

My initials are CDK (well, technically, CD since I have one of those last-names that start with a lowercase "de" and I have no middle name... but that is getting too technical)

And... as a kid I used to watch this STUPID cartoon show called "I.M. Weasel" or something like that... and Weasel's plans were always foiled by his bumbling counterpart "I.R. Baboon" (I Are... get it?)

So... IRChrisCDK :-)

Here is a link to the wikipedia article on the dumb cartoon... I Am Weasel - Wikipedia

Hmm, come to think of it... I.R. Baboon might make a good avatar pic... Yup... I think I'll do it.

Oh... and just to truly facilitate this trip down memory lane... here is a link to a YouTube video that shows the I Am Weasel theme song/animation: I Am Weasel - YouTube

Edit to add all the links and such

Edited by irchriscdk

Once long ago & far away, when dirt was still being fit into the R&D budget...<BR><BR>There was a game Called Shadowrun, in the original book of rules is a cartoon of a mage who is wearing a button that says "668 Neighbor of the Beast" I spent about 3 days laughing at that, on and off.<BR><BR>My Charecter in the game started out with the handle "Gladhand" cause he had a cybernetic hand with 6 super sharp blades buit into it a la Freddy Krueger.<BR><BR>But everytime he got into a fight he would use grenades, and kill the enemy before he could close to hand to hand (oops).<BR><BR>And get Really DUSTY.<BR><BR>About that time Quake came out for the IBM 486. I needed a nickname. Dusty, was taken. I've used this ever since.<BR><BR>They say this universe is bound to blow,<BR>I say we crank up the Calypso Control!<BR>~Jimmy Buffett<BR><BR>~Someday I Will~

Am I the only one who doesn't get it?

My geo-name is a derivative of my nickname of many years, "Firestarter." (Some just decided Sparky worked as well....)

I got that nickname when I accidentally lit myself on fire.

Really.

:huh:

I got all the e's at the end when I had to add that many to "spark," just to get a hotmail account. (IOW, Sparke was used, Sparkee was used, Sparkeee was used, etc) I hardly ever used the hotmail.... ;)

I truly hope it was not bad, cause I am laughing my a** off!

I wish I knew I couldn't change my name when I signed up. I used this name in a fantasy football league because my last name is Ruff and people generally try to make tough sounding names for their team in fantasy football. It just kinda stuck. Not exactly a great name for geo-caching because people think that I think I am something I am not. Oh well...I guess I just have to meet more geocachers so they understand why my name is this. :)

I wish I knew I couldn't change my name when I signed up. I used this name in a fantasy football league because my last name is Ruff and people generally try to make tough sounding names for their team in fantasy football. It just kinda stuck. Not exactly a great name for geo-caching because people think that I think I am something I am not. Oh well...I guess I just have to meet more geocachers so they understand why my name is this. :)

you can change your name . there is a post here somewhere

you can change your name . there is a post here somewhere

Try here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=8749

But there really should be a good reason to change your name, it's a b'tch to change the database for a change. And everyone has read the following:

Choose username for this account:

This is the name that you will be known as on the site and log entries. This will be the permanent username that represents you to other members, so choose wisely!

right?

Edited to make bold the item that's bold but only the text of which was cut and pasted.

Edited by trainlove

Does anyone know how to find out a geocachers ID#? Please email to scott@shayden.com .

In the forums, hold your cursor over their name.

Now if they do not use the forums then you have to do a pocket query of caches that they have hidden.

Now if they have no hidden caches, I'm not sure how you find their super secret probationary number, I don't think GSAK shows id's of loggers of others cachers.

Does anyone know how to find out a geocachers ID#?

In the forums, hold your cursor over their name.

Now if they do not use the forums then you have to do a pocket query of caches that they have hidden.

Now if they have no hidden caches, I'm not sure how you find their super secret probationary number, I don't think GSAK shows id's of loggers of others cachers.

Also, if in the forum, you can click on their name and it will appear in the end of the URL. I just found this out. Thanks for the other suggestions, though.

Edited by GlobeSniffer

As a child my family spent just about every summer in Yosemite, I was even there during my junior high graduation. Later I married my girl (fastmach) there as well in 1989. I moved to Texas in 1994 and our last trip before we moved was to where else, but Yosemite. That was the last time I've been there it is more differcult to get into the valley these days then to visit Disney World in the summer! We are moving back to Oregon this spring so I'll be able to sneak in again to visit this next year. I no, I no, my avatar is a shark what can I say, I love the ocean too- maybe I should've been AquaDan :anitongue: Oh, by the way I am also known as Geocaver Dan on some fourms because I've combined my love of caving to geocaching.

Edited by Yosemite Dan

About 12 years ago I was on a scuba diving trip to La Parguera Puerto Rico with my local dive shop. I was friends with the owners, a man and his wife. The wife was Puerto Rican...

She kept telling me that I had to try the Mofongo down there. It is a recipe made with plantains and chicken or seafood...(very tasty)...

Well, we were in a fancy restuarant one night and when the waiter took our orders I mispronounced it and asked for the "Mofungoo" which I guess sounded like a bad word in some languages...

The dive shop owners wife laughed and corrected me yelling "Mofongo! It's Mofongo, Bob!...

Since that day everyone started calling me Mofongo and the name just kind of stuck...

When I met my wife, she also got certified to dive and we nicknamed her Mofino cause it sounded good and went well with Mofongo. Mofongo and Mofino...

When we created an account here we just used her nickname, Mofino, for some reason...

Fun thread reading the story behind everyones screen names... ;>)

Well I'll fess cause you'd never guess this one in a million years. How to explain....

When my son was about 2.5 we were going through one of those stages where toddlers "test" you by seeing what they can get away with, how far they can push you etc. One of the things that he would do was wait until we were in public, get a devilish little grin on his face, and either lift up my shirt, pull down on my collar or deliver a well placed poke to err...you can guess...

To establish boundaries I would explain to him that his behavior was not okay and that those were mommy's "privates". Eventually he passed through this phase and I forgot all about it.

Ah but toddlers have a mind like a sponge. Just because I forgot about it, he apparently did not. About 6 months later we were out at a restaurant with a group of friends. Just as there was a brief lull in the conversation he pointed to my chest and announced proudly "Those are Mama's Private Bones!"

Of course our friends just couldn't wait to get mileage out of that one, and make no bones about it :lol: .... it stuck.

Out of the mouths of babes....

In Latin, "meralgia" is broken into two words: "mer" for 'thigh' and "algia" for 'pain'. It was a neurological numbness and tingling that I had in the early 90's. When I went to the neurologist, he told me it was "just a thing", so I spent many hours researching it to discover that it's an entrapment of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve (basically the nerve that feeds the skin on the outside of your thigh). Yeah, it was just a "thing" but a pretty annoying one.

To avoid explaning all of that, I joke with fellow cachers that "meralgia is just a little less than a pain in the a**." ; )

Oh, and I use a hedgehog as an avitar because I "rescued" and owned one for a year. He was so smelly (and I tired of washing the wheel he used to poop in every night)! Also, I never really played with him much (they're nocturnal and it felt rude to get him out so I could show him off to folks who had never seen a hedgehog before), so I let someone else rescue him. His name was Mr. Hedgie Huff-n-Puff; I named a hedgehog-beanie-baby-cammo'ed cache after him that got muggled. The cache was re-containered, moved, and renamed, "The Demise of Mr. Hedgie Huff-n-Puff.

Edited by meralgia