What's the name of the first cache you ever placed?

I have been caching for 6 months with 176 finds and 2 hides.

1st one hidden for 3 months.

Due to it being in a public park I keep replacement cache on

hand. Had to replace it todayas the cache had a DNF and I went to find it missing.

That's why I like to keep mine close to home.

Battle of Hanging Rock - GCH4ZK

Now archived and I have changed my handle since then. I really enjoyed the placement but after the second replacement can I gave up the real estate to let others hide there. Some of the muggles that found once even signed the log and became cachers. One muggle left a different kind of smoking material in there but still replaced and covered the cache as he found it. I was a little mad but hey he did cover it back up better than most cachers! :D

The Beasts of Caton Moor (GC16DDA) Was my first and so far only cache, adopted out when I emigrated a couple of months back. It'll be a year old this autumn. Being a multi in a desolate and barren (but beautiful) spot, with no other caches nearby, it's only clocked up 20 visits but the average find log length when I last worked it out was about 125 words ... I'd rather have 20 of those logs than 100 times "TFTC" anyday :D Edited by JeremyR

"Hi, Pilgrim!" It's not really all that 'old', hidden Feb 18 of this year -- now has 41 finds.

I only had about a dozen finds when I placed this one. I'd quickly recognized that most of the 'good' places for hides, those that offered folks a good reason to go there, were snapped up pretty quickly by others. In a small town like this, there just aren't that many 'super' opportunities for that quality of cache, so when our new Visitor's Center, which has close ties to & an excellent presentation & exhibits on our part in our 2 Civil War battles, opened up - I jumped on the opportunity to plant one there.

And yes, have learned quite a bit since then. I did some serious work planning & executing this one, so nothing learned regarding those two phases - I think I did it pretty well. But it's certainly been a learning experience regarding how slovenly some are at playing this game! And the biggest thing I've learned is, less than 10% are really interested in visiting for the quality purpose the site was chosen -- all the other 90+% really want is that Smiley.

Kinda sad....but in the balance scales that's what the game has become.

How did your first cache work out? Still going?

Learned a few things or did pretty good on the first attempt?

It's STILL workin' out after almost 5 1/2 years in the same recycled, half gallon, Sunmaid Chocolate Rasin container, but a second coat of homemade duct tape camo was needed after a few years. There's just no substitute for a good container in a great location for a long lived cache IMHO.

Veet Voojagig's Ballpoint Planet

I've invited people to copycat the cache and there have been nearly a dozen or so over the years.

My favorite is: Der Kugelschreiberplanet - VVBP Wormhole Germany 1

Norman Bird Sanctuary Cache. Placed over four years ago, with only a dozen or so finds under my belt. It is still out there with 89 finds. Based on responses from the locals, it was good first hide. I still get compliments four years later. I've never had to maintenance, although there was a log indicating I should replace the full log book.

(Edited for typo)

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

Elves in the Forest, GC791E, is still going strong, with 157 finds as it approaches its sixth anniversary this week. Typical of its time period, it's the first cache in a nice suburban park, and takes the finder on a walk up a stream valley. I hid the cache after geocaching for two months and finding 41 caches. It's gone missing once, which gave me the opportunity to replace a broken plastic drybox with a standard ammo can.

With this cache, I began my tradition of including the word "Elves" in all of my cache names. Call it The Leprechauns' branding strategy.

GCJ1DW Gone Campin' was my first, it's still active, found only 21 times since 3/28/2004 because it way out in the sticks and finding the right road can be tricky. I put over $100. worth of swag in it, and about half of the original swag is still in it... the other half has been traded for some nice stuff, so it's still one of the best-stocked caches in the area!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

This was a very timely posting, since when I clicked on the page for our first cache, I noticed that its fourth birthday is just 2 days away. Gotta get working on the cake. :D

We were extremely nervous about our first hide. We had a zillion ideas involving multis, puzzles, camo, etc., but decided that for our first one we should keep it plain and simple; just a half-mile walk up a moderate hill in some interesting woods, with an ammo can tucked into a standard hiding place. Even the cache name is boring: it's located on North Vaughn Hill, and the name of the cache is North Vaughn Hill. We got a lot more creative with our subsequent caches.

It has had 78 finds in four years. Only one find so far this year. I've thought of archiving it a couple of times, but every time I go back there I decide that I like the location so much that I don't want to archive it.

What I should do instead is hide a few more caches near it, as it's rather lonely out there.

As for what I learned from it: the main thing I got out of it is not to get crushed by a single negative log. As I mentioned above, we were very nervous about placing the cache. Would it be good enough? Will people like the location? Is the hide too easy? Are we too new, and will the old-timers think it's lame? Is the swag okay? And most importantly, are the coordinates accurate?

I spent a few hours over the course of several days trying to get coordinates that were as good and as consistent as possible. When I was finally happy with them, I hid the cache and sent my co-crab out to find it. At one point he's looking around, looking at his GPS, saying "It says I'm 8 feet away." I breathed a sigh of relief and said "Good, because you're 8 feet away from it."

So I submitted the cache, and it was published and found very quickly. One of the early finders said that the coordinates were 200 feet off. And since I was a total noob, and this guy was very well-known and had been around for years and had (at the time) the highest find-count in the state, I was kind of devastated by it. Luckily for me, though, the first finder said (among other nice things) that the coordinates were dead-on. No other logs have ever mentioned any problem with the coordinates. So I eventually convinced myself not to let the 200-feet-off log bother me (although it took a while).

But I still re-check the coords every time I go back, just to reassure myself that they're okay. :D

GCZKPV: Jackman Ridge

Placed at the camp I live and work at, I decided on a multi because, while there's a shorter way to the final (at a great overlook) the camp didn't want cachers parking in the middle of camp. The resulting route brings people over a pretty little stream, past a good deal of conservation land, and pauses at a glacial erratic.

Stage 2 of this cache has stumped a couple very experienced cachers, but strangely enough, when I bring a group of people staying at camp who have never cached before, they usually get it right away. I suspect that this is because that stage changed very little from when I first thought of it, six days after finding my first cache (although I hid close to 70 before I implemented the hide...). Seeing it through the eyes of an experienced geocacher obscures the simplicity of the hide.

It has 17 icon_smile.gif's & 3 icon_sad.gif's. I recently had to disable it since a Red Eyed Vireo had decided to nest within feet of the final.

402d9837-ccb0-4d2e-9ed8-49a62ac7acc3.jpg

The birds have all hatched & moved on, the cache is back! :D

Hop To It (GC6D5E)

Just over six years ago. There were other island caches in Michigan before it, but I believe mine was the first on multiple islands. There are several now. It didn't prove as popular as I had thought it would. Geocaching was obviously a lot smaller in 2002, and I guess less cachers had access to boats than I had anticipated. It received good logs in the winter, though!

I archived it in 2004 when the Michigan DNR started charging $30 to hide a cache. That policy has long since been changed and the fee removed, but I haven't recreated this cache. Maybe someday.

Edited by Dinoprophet

:D Very nice topic, thank you for starting it. I'm enjoying reading it.

Our first cache, Deep Swamp Dry Feet was hidden 3 weeks after creating an account, and I'm guessing we had maybe 10 finds (we had checked out the site and found a few caches before creating an account or logging anything).

It's still active. It started as a small trading cache in a very nice place. 37 finds in 5 years, not bad given its distance from larger urban areas, and the lack of nearby caches (though there are more now). I did have to change it out for a camo'ed micro when some local kids found it and took to raiding it and moving all over the area. I could probably go back to the small trading cache any time now - those kids are long gone.

Our first cache placed is : GCR8WX - Let's Play! [Lisboa]. A multi-cache set on a nice area, in Lisbon, our hometown. It was place in October, 2005. It has 264 finds and 22 DNF.

At first, we complicated things a little bit. We had to tweak some details, after all, the cache was placed there to be found. :D

It was great to learn so many things from it. It still is one of our favorites.

My first one was called The Splashing Cache and was placed on 5-10-08. I am a newbie to the game but thought I did pretty good for my first placement. The ammo box was well stocked with goodies and in a nice natural setting. Only 7 people have found it but the comments have been positive.

I have since learned that in this area, it's all about location, location, location. I threw together a quick cache that I put at my place of employment. I did not expect that it would see much traffic but I was sure wrong about that. It is just a very simple cache (almost a park and grab). I placed Have Any Shopping Cache? back on 6-2-08 and it has been quite popular. I never imagined it would get as many hits as it has.

I placed Stepping Stone Falls on 6-27-08 and it is probably the best one I have placed. It is in a real nice park and is a 3 part multi. It also has a very well stocked final but so far has gotten very little attention from the locals.

I guess most folks in this area prefer the quick park and grab type stuff. Ah well, live and learn.

Indian Creek. Muggled. I learned that you have to anticipate where muggles will poke and prod. I re-hid it the same spot with better concealment. The cache remains as Indian Creek II where I co own it with another cacher. It's a tough hide even today.

Nona The Kananaskis Kamping Cat Cache: GCQPDY

Hidden in September of 2005. I had been caching for just under two years and had less than 100 finds when I hid it. Never been muggled **knock wood** and still gets positive reviews. Been found 45 times which isn't bad for a Multi well outside of the city limits.

It was originally hidden in a coffee can and wrapped in a black garbage bag. Afterward I discovered that unwrapping a wet garbage bag isn't the most pleasant experience so I eventually replaced the container with an ammo can, which remains the only maintenance I have done on it.

I'm quite proud at how it turned out, something I can't claim for some of the hides that came after it.

Edited by DanOCan

June 20 2003 -- JD Riverbend Cache -- nice 1.5 mile walk in a pine flatwood to a boardwalk overlooking a small Florida creek. Melted to nearly nothing during a controlled burn in 2006 and not replaced.

Wow -- this brings back great memories.

When we placed it, there were only 10 caches in the park (Jonathan Dickinson Park). By December this year, when there will be a large caching event there, the park will have over 150 caches (and lots of wild and crazy people like me looking for them).

What did I learn -- always use ammo cans in areas where there are controlled burns -- AND -- even that does not always work because the rubber seal melts in extreme heat, as do plastic items inside.

:D

"Buried" at the Graveyard 5/26/2004 with 288 finds and many revisits for bug drops.

Side notes: I recently found OzGuff's first hide - very nice park. Also I have heard a rumor that Dr Who was afraid to do maintenance on his own cache and therefore archived it due to the ghosts of Revolutionary War soldiers.

edit to correct spelling

Edited by SgtSue

My 1st cache was a 4 stage multi with a final. They are placed in the Tosohatchee State Reserve in central Florida & take you to all the ponds in the reserve.

Two of the stages, 4 Ponds GC1BQ3 & Far Eastern Pond GC1B9EA, require a round trip hike of 1 + miles, two are just park & grabs, Gator Pond GC1B9P5 & Lake Charles GC1B9PN (hidden in the woods). The final, T-Bone Pond GC1B9PW is a 3+ mile round trip hike thru water, mud, swamps & palmettos.

I started this crazy game on 1/12/08 & had very good mentors.

If this is your kind of hunt for a cache you should try it when in the area.

All containers are are ammo cans, except 1 & it is a decon.

I placed them on 4/25/08 & the 4 multis have been found 13 times with 1 DNF. The final has been found 10 times with 1 DNF.

They are all in good shape & are not likely to be muggled.

My first cache placement was Where Eagles Soar. I placed this one 9/22/02, just one month and 21 find after starting. It's archived now. At the time I didn't think about flooding, so I didn't tether it, and it either floated away (most likely), or it was muggled (I don't suspect this, but it's possible).

It still remains one of my favorite placements, and I keep meaning to place another one there.....but in a higher spot, or I'll tie it down.

My first cache was The 969 Cache and was placed in my yard to meet cachers since I was new to the game. It has been archived and replaced with a new container that is much bigger than the original and is now a simple easy puzzle cache. Learned that the container was too small and that it was not that easy and most cachers dont like hard yard caches. I understood completely and changed it.

Edited by Sparticus06

After a month and a half of geocaching, I hid my first cache GCKD6D Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotteburg It's had 29 finds, including one by some idiot who went hunting for it the day after a blizzard. :ph34r: It has a beautiful view overlooking Charlotteburg Reservoir.

What have I learnt? Most geocachers are not willing to buy a hiking pass for the NWCDC, and hike a mile, even for a great view. Hasn't stopped me. I've since put out a few more in the Newark Watershed. Most people who have found my caches have enjoyed them very much. I've also learnt that I have a very punny sense of humor that evades most people. Oh, well. (See: Elvira, by the Oak Ridge Reservoir

Life, Duty, Honor, Country. I didn't really choose it; the location is the same as two previous caches, the second of which was popular but unmaintained. When it got archived, I thought it proper to replace it. In addition to being popular, the location calls for something which will be kept in good condition.

Technically I own four much older caches, but they are adoptions and I will pass them on when I find good owners. I've been surprised at how many owners of old caches respond to emails when they've not responded to logs which to me clearly call for a response. It's useful to know if there's a cache you'd like to adopt.

gc.com says I've "hidden" 13 caches. This does not account for adoptions. I've hidden 9 but currently own 13.

Edward

Great Caesar's Ghost has been found 52 times since it was placed in 2001.

I did make one tweak to it along the way. I wish that I didn't have to do it as I liked it better the old way but the final location was becoming a pain to maintain so I did what I had to do.

The ironic thing is that this cache was recently 'blamed' for starting the puzzle craze in the area. Minerva knows how much I hate puzzles.

Stately Tree was placed on Aug 15 of 2002 and has had 81 visitors so far. There has been only one admitted DNF, but I know of many more failed attempts. It's been loved and hated. I've learned that the average Geocacher doesn't want much as of an off trail experience as the typical Orienteer, so most of my other hides have offered at least one much easier approach. I still make route choice a major factor in most of my caches, but for Stately Tree all the potential routes are relatively gnarly.

My very first one was "Skunked" at the site of a historic marker outside a very old Masonic cemetery. It was a small brass pipe (too small to be mistaken for a bomb, yes) that was muggled by a city worker (my guess) who was checking the adjacent water meter.

My replacement was a hanging pill bottle inside one of the gate posts. It started out on a rare earth magnet so you couldn't see it from the top of the iron post and then after the 10th or 11th time of me going out with a coat hanger to fish it out when a cacher dropped it too far, I built a hook on the top of the pipe to hold it. After my 5th or 6th time of fishing that out or replacing it, I finally archived the cache.

I've thought about replacing something in the spot over the last few years, but never had something I thought fit into the spot...and just last week, I saw a new cacher received permission to place a cache INSIDE the historic cemetery. Glad to see people will be drawn back to the location...even if it's not mine any more.

Edited by KoosKoos

Well, I'm certainly not proud of it but here it is... "Wash and ???"

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a0-1a119f990cf1

And yes, it's still active. I keep hoping to hear that it's been muggled or removed by the gardeners butit just keeps going!

It was my first hide and I'll admit I placed in haste but like all things, it was a learning experience.

Since then I have more or less sworn off placing micro's in a bush especially in a high-muggle area.

When this one finally is gone though, I will replace it with a far more sinister hide :D