Toughest, Most Brutal Cache Ever?

Ok..I found it....it was Snoogans. Right cache, wrong cacher.

Quantum Leap

I'd like to do this one someday. ;)

Mannnn, I was flattered until I saw that you confused me with Sparky.

Anyhoo, there's plenty of other cool caches in the area, so don't make it your ONLY reason for a trip to Houston. Try GQ's Headcase. That's MY favorite cache in the area and only about 12 miles from the first QL DEAD DROP.

NH Moose recently took a 180+ mile detour just to hit Quantum Leap while on a business trip. THAT really impressed the Missouri City Parks Director.

Sn ;);) gans

My friend and I are stationed on a ship in the Coast Guard, we were joking around one day about dropping one about 75 miles off the coast of Maine... what do you guys think?

Just make sure it is .10 miles away from any other cache. :bad:

Edited by EraSeek

Quantum Leap

I'd like to do this one someday. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, there's plenty of other cool caches in the area, so don't make it your ONLY reason for a trip to Houston. Try GQ's Headcase. That's MY favorite cache in the area and only about 12 miles from the first QL DEAD DROP.

NH Moose recently took a 180+ mile detour just to hit Quantum Leap while on a business trip. THAT really impressed the Missouri City Parks Director.

Sn :P:) gans

I would seriously consider flying out to this cache, if I thought I could finish it in one trip. But from the logs it seems like it would involve many trips :D

Maybe some day.

As for hard caches, Blood & Guts in Virginia (aka Iron & Stone) is the hardest one I've done

dave

I'm just looking for some ideas here. One of these days I'd love to attempt the hardest cache ever made.

So far I've got:

Gokyo Ri

Looks like it's way overrated in difficulty. "notice the large boulder lying in your way? Take a closer look and you will find a small tupper style box hidden below it." Looks like a 1.5 to me. Ok, terrain is a different story, though in another thread that discussed this cache one person who had been there pre geocaching, said it wasn't all that difficult and likened it to a multi-day backpack in any mountainous area

As for hard caches, Blood & Guts in Virginia (aka Iron & Stone) is the hardest one I've done

I haven't even attempted Blood and Guts, but it does seem to rate with any difficult cache. The first time it was found was by a team of 12 (I think) and supposedly it took them a number of weeks and 500 combined hours of work to post the find. All subsequent finds were also done by teams. I don't think one individual has posted a find on it yet.

Edited by briansnat

Okay guys and gals! I just saw the one in Tibet and most of us will never get to go to that one (but it would be awesome.) Tube Torcher in NC is an awesome cache. Took me, Knight Rider, and Askani'Son about 5-6 hours to complete. It was a very well thought out, entertaining cache. We had a ball! If you are nearby, say within a couple of hundred miles, do try it. There aren't very many 5/5's around here. I was just proud to finish it and be able to log a 5/5. Believe me it was a true 5/5! I actually dropped the terrain difficulty on one of my caches after this one. :(

There's a pretty wicked cache here in Northern California that has intrigued me, though I doubt I'll ever be seriously in a position to find it!

It's the DeLorme Challenge in Northern California.

It looks like finding the cache itself is very easy once you have the coordinates... but from looking at what you have to do to get the coordinates, I think it makes this cache arguably the hardest one to bag in northern CA and probably the entire state as well. (It hasn't been found yet-- it involves MONTHS of planning and terrain ranging from rainforests to forbidding peaks to cities to desert.)

The DeLorme Challenge might not be quite in the spirit of some of the AMAZING caches posted on this thread (i.e. the 5/5's) but it's still a very interesting one.

-mig, aka GoonyGooGoo

Edited by GoonyGooGoo

Quantum Leap

I'd like to do this one someday. :(

All I can say is: "Why don't I live in Texas!!!!????". That truely does sound like the Holy Grail of caches. I'm in the process of planning and constructing a grand caching hunt myself, but it will be inferior to that cache. But it did give me a few ideas.

Quantum Leap

I'd like to do this one someday. :huh:

Sn ;):P gans

wish I lived in Texas!

This looks like a hum-diddely-dinger!

So How long did it take to set this up?

Do you set up a special hunt for each hunter?

Quantum Leap

I'd like to do this one someday. :D

wish I lived in Texas!

I really don't remember how long it took. There was months of planning involved to get started. Some aspect of this cache is always in the planning stage.

I had to get a very important permission grant for the cache from another fairly well known cacher who wishes to remain nameless (or blameless as the case may be) and then I had to quietly recruit a virtual army of GeoMinions to help maintain waypoints that I couldn't properly maintain otherwise.

There is a personalized envelope and list of supplies for most of the cachers that I have met more than once and a few for cachers that I have never really met in person. (There's One in there for Mystery Woman, but all that is in it is a map to my house and the only required supplies needed are a handcuff key and some altoids. :D )The rest of the envelopes are generic with an enigmatic title, (I.E. The Megabrantis Cluster, When Pigs Fly, Banjo Music aka Why is Daddy Crying?, The Monkey's OTHER Paw, etc.) and list of required supplies, so anyone else can decide their own brand of torture. I'm fairly well known for devious hides but, some of these are horrifying even for me. Last time I checked there were 37 envelopes left and most of them were generic. I have another 20 that I am working on, but I got sick while on vacation, and didn't get all the waypoints that I wanted to complete them.

SNOOG7.jpg

I just placed this 5/5. I think it will be a problem for anyone to find, but if you happen to live elsewhere and want to send me the coordinates if you figure them out, I would be awfully impressed.

The Dreaded Pirate Geisel the Fierce

;) Either I think I'm 'brighter' than most, or your 5 on the difficulty is overrated. See my email, but I have the solution.

Unfortunately theres no way I'm can go 1670 Miles to check how difficult the terrain is.

:D Ok... now its probably a bit harder, since you modified it due to my feedback... but 5/5?? - - -time will tell.

Edited by Abby's Family

Quantum Leap

I'd like to do this one someday. :blink:

wish I lived in Texas!

I really don't remember how long it took. There was months of planning involved to get started. Some aspect of this cache is always in the planning stage.

I had to get a very important permission grant for the cache from another fairly well known cacher who wishes to remain nameless (or blameless as the case may be) and then I had to quietly recruit a virtual army of GeoMinions to help maintain waypoints that I couldn't properly maintain otherwise.

There is a personalized envelope and list of supplies for most of the cachers that I have met more than once and a few for cachers that I have never really met in person. (There's One in there for Mystery Woman, but all that is in it is a map to my house and the only required supplies needed are a handcuff key and some altoids. ;) )The rest of the envelopes are generic with an enigmatic title, (I.E. The Megabrantis Cluster, When Pigs Fly, Banjo Music aka Why is Daddy Crying?, The Monkey's OTHER Paw, etc.) and list of required supplies, so anyone else can decide their own brand of torture. I'm fairly well known for devious hides but, some of these are horrifying even for me. Last time I checked there were 37 envelopes left and most of them were generic. I have another 20 that I am working on, but I got sick while on vacation, and didn't get all the waypoints that I wanted to complete them.

SNOOG7.jpg

Snoogans! :rolleyes:

If you're in New Hampshire, I have a cache at Owl's Head. It may not be Tibet but read the description and the logs and see if you think its tough.

Looks like a great hike. Seems to be overated on the difficulty side tho. A 5 star difficulty shouldn't be "found easily". More like a 1/5 or at most a 2/5.

I'm on the west side of the country, but man that's a cache I've gotta do someday!

My Dream cache is pretty tough too:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...23-069de6abf486

Criminal was first finder of this one and has written a good story at the geo magazine site.

Well, if you include caching contests not listed at geocaching.com then this 20 step multi cache in the deserts around Moab, Utah would rank right up near the top.

http://www.vigps.com/index.php?option=cont...id=48&Itemid=28

Here is a story of our epic 6 week adventure in completing the challenge.

http://www.cachunuts.com/dcommand/finalstory1.htm

http://www.cachunuts.com/dcommand/finalstory2.htm

All stages of the contest are still in place for any of you thrill seekers. It would be quite a bit easier now with the cooler fall weather.

I haven't even attempted Blood and Guts, but it does seem to rate with any difficult cache. The first time it was found was by a team of 12 (I think) and supposedly it took them a number of weeks and 500 combined hours of work to post the find. All subsequent finds were also done by teams. I don't think one individual has posted a find on it yet.

Blood & Guts in Virginia (aka Iron & Stone) succumbed, today, to a challenge mounted by another team: The Blind Squirrel Squad. B&G is tough, but the satisfaction when it's vanquished is enormous. :P

Okay I challenge you all to find my Robert Service Poetry Cache. It is on an island in a lake in the Yukon Territory in Canada. It is an island with great history. does anyone have the courage to try?

I'll be going right by that island in June, but won't have a boat with me. I'll have to go back again sometime in the winter when travel will be a bit easier!