Nevada Geocoin Update :(

ou8alizzard

We did prepay with the first seven summits geocoin. After that, all other coins were sold when we had them or if they were headed our way and would be here in a day or two. That helped us prepare.

We now prefer to order the coins and post them. It does cut down on the emails we get and the questions to where the coins are.

nielsenc

I think the coupon idea would work.

I was afraid to try to pre-sell coins (I'm terrible with money), but still wanted my own coin, so I am going through The Caching Place to get my coins minted. I am only out as much $$ as I want to spend. They handle orders and shipping to anyone who wants to buy a coin. They are also doing the artwork, which I'm sure will look great once I get my photos sent to them! (It's coming, Georgia, I promise!!)

We actually ran into the same problem with PayPal when we did the New York Geocoin. I think they just saw a whole lot of money coming in at once and it red flagged their system. They looked up the page that had the PayPal link on it and found where we'd listed the expected shipping date (obviously greater than 20 days). I was out of town at the time, but I know our Treasurer got on the phone with them and raised royal hell over this and they eventually backed down and allowed us access to our account again. I don't know what he said exactly, but apparently it worked. If you want to ask him, email me and I will send you his contact info.

Sorry ladycacher but prior to late September/early October this was the case. You either had the coins in hand to sell or trade or you didn't. Since early October I have pre-paid for 60 coins. Prior to that I bought what was available. Trading was minimal since I did not have my own personal coin and most of those who do have their own personal coins paid for them out of their own pocket. If a state club wants to put out a state coin or a group wants to put out a commemorative coin for an event they put the moneyu up front and make it then sell it.

The pre-order was a good idea to give people an idea of how many to get minted, that there was a market for but pre-order pre-pay has gotten out of hand.

My opinion and I am sticking to it!

I agree that pre orders are a bit out of hand.

not to pick on any certain person or group but I particularly don't like when weeks after taking my money a seller makes changes to the design, metals, or Qtys that will be minted. I prefer all that stuff to be set in stone before I pay. Again not to pick on anyone in particular just throwing in my 2 cents.

I think that Paypal's policy is very reasonable - 20 days will some be late? Sure. But should 20 days from the start of the presale be a good benchmark. I think so.

I understand the groups and organizations preselling, they are going to make as many as are requested that way. WI did NOT use paypal for any sales, they went through a merchant web site for them. I also believe that the coin design was fully approved, the dies created, only waiting on quantity and tracking numbers when orders were taken. Even with a delay with the tracking numbers, they were still shipped about a month from close of order taking.

My comment about not making a coin if you can't afford it was more directed to personal coin minting, and non orginization mintings.

I think anything more than a month is too long to be waiting for coins after ordering closes. Also I think at a minimum the dies should already be created and the mint should only be waiting for the work to mint and the quantity.

I agree that it isn't fair to those who ordered first thing to learn that either the art changed, or that the quantities have changed or a new metal is chosen etc.

I know it is always said that 'its your coin, do what you want' but I think that is not the case if you sell them before they are made. If you sell them so that you don't have pay for them yourself, they aren't yours, they are the buyers coins.

>Really? So how will coins get made them if "people like me" don't do it?

We don't seem to have a problem with this in our area. We have a lot of coins coming out from both organizations and personal cachers, and each of them has fronted the money and been reimbursed by sales. All of the coins were either sold entirely out with wait lists, or interest was gauged via pre-order (not pre-sales). It would seem, then, that people will make coins even without other people's money.

>Kansas - Pre-order by a person, one person (not group or business)

Aren't there TWO Kansas coins? The one I bought (first one offered) shipped pretty quickly after I paid. Kind of helps my point above. People are scrambling to make coins. People in Washington are making Hawaii coins. People in the SF Bay area are making coins for each of the world's greatest mountaintops, commemorating DNFs, etc. People are making coins for any and everything. Some are taking pre-orders and fronting the money, some just mint the coin and sell it for what they think they can get (e.g. turning a profit), some are using the caching community to finance their venture via pre-sales.

>Let me ask you this since you judge me.

>Should the rules change where the coins must be paid for by the creator/maker and in hand BEFORE you sell them to collectors? Seems to me if we did that, there would not be much to collect would there?

Just giving my opinion, which is based in how I do business. I think there would still be plenty of coins to collect. Individuals in/affiliated with our regional coin club are minting at least 10 by my count and the ones that are selling coins (rather than trade-only) aren't taking money until they have already fronted the money to the mint and can show us artwork, estimated ship dates, etc. I don't think rules are necessary; I just prefer not to finance other people's coins -- its risky. However, Paypal has every right to impose rules on how they do business since they assume some amount of risk with every transaction. They don't know you. They don't know the caching community at large. They don't want to get burned.

Don't sell a coin. Sell a Membership in your Coin Club or Geocaching Association. The coin is one of the "Benefits" of membership and will be given to each paid member.

I just reread this post and it got me wondering, would using paypal to sell group memberships get a non-profit group in trouble with the IRS? Are fund rasiers ok with groupspeak? would it be interfering with some businesses turf??

Ok, my question is, are we getting a refund from paypal?  I have an invoice from them that I paid for the Nevada coin on November 9th.

Ya....same here. And my Credit Card bill showed it was payed the same day. So do we all have to threaten to dump PayPal now if they don't release our hostaged money?

I hope that whoever complained to them, is happy now. :D

If they thought they were waiting too long, they should have just asked ou8alizzard for a refund.

Personally I think this is a good call by pay-pal. Pre-sales work well for small sales... like back when geocoins were not as popular. Today all I'd have to do is create plans for a geocoin... pre-sell hundreds of them and a few limited editions and then run off to Mexico with the money... obviously it would be weeks before anyone noticed.

pre-sell hundreds of them and a few limited editions and then run off to Mexico with the money... obviously it would be weeks before anyone noticed.

I guess this is possible, but run off with what $3,000 or $4,000. It hardly seems worth it for that amount of money. I still have quite a bit of faith in fellow cachers. :D

I am not worried about the cachers who post, but, what if someone saw they could get 2 - 3k quickly? There are many other scams on the net for much less.

Interesting enough, when I was in the philippines I could not for the life of me use my paypal account. No problems in Hong Kong or China.

I too would like to know the status of this coin as I placed a group order and need to be accountable for it.

Thanks

Lynn

I just got off the phone with them again today they told me that it could still be another 7 to 10 days. The reason they tell me they need to do every refund 1 at a time. (I think there dragging there feet if you ask me).

I will be checking the account every day to see when they start doing the refunds when they do we will let you all know where the coins can be purchased from.

We are also looking at sending a password to all the folks that had paid for the coin the first time around so they can have first dibs

[We are also looking at sending a password to all the folks that had paid for the coin the first time around so they can have first dibs]

I hope this is the case. It wouldn't be right for all the people who have paid for coins before to loose their order due to not being able to get their order placed in time the second time around.

Since I will be using paypal to manage orders and shipping I wanted to talk to a live person about this. So I just got off the phone with paypal, and verified that we are reading the user agreement correctly. It provides for a 20 day pre-sales window.

So this means the "create a reservation list, place order with mint with 10-day turn, and THEN collect money through paypal" method is perfectly acceptable.

It also means that ordering dies, and approving pre-production coins has to happen BEFORE collecting money. However this doesn't stop the creation of a reservation list which seems that have worked well for me so far.

We'll see - I hope to open orders next week :D

How does PayPal give back the money?

Enjoy

as a credit to the buyers paypal account, the buyer can use the funds elsewhere on paypal transactions or send it back to a credit card or bank account as a credit.

I wanted to ask this.

Does the refund go to your paypal account or back to the bank?

I have one that said it was refunded but it does not show in paypal,I am off to the bank today to see if it is in there.

Thanks for your help.

So, that definitely means the coins will be minted anyway?

Yes we will be moving forward with the production of the coin :antenna:

So why IS it taking so long? Designs were done a while ago and money was taken something like 8 weeks ago.

I think the only other coin that's taken this long was the UK coin. :angry:

How does PayPal give back the money?

Enjoy

as a credit to the buyers paypal account, the buyer can use the funds elsewhere on paypal transactions or send it back to a credit card or bank account as a credit.

I wanted to ask this.

Does the refund go to your paypal account or back to the bank?

I have one that said it was refunded but it does not show in paypal,I am off to the bank today to see if it is in there.

Thanks for your help.

it goes to your paypal account. if you have bought something with paypal since then it probably used your paypal balance (refund) first then hit your bank account for the remainder of that transaction.