Kountry Katching Vs. City Caching

SixDogTeam

I think one way to describe Geocachers is by their cache type preferences...

Country Cachers: Like caches in State Forests type settings: Long hikes, woods, climbing, water falls, scenic views, hiking boots and sticks, stinking swamps, thorns, poison ivy, snakes, bushwaking,etc.

City Cachers: Urban Parks, playgrounds, ballparks, micros on lamposts, underpass hobo campground/trashheaps, guardrails, webcams, puzzles, muggles, etc.

Of course, there's plenty of crossover caching too. For us, give us the country life, we're scared of the city. What's yours? :blink:

I'm a Kountry Kacher. A big part of geocaching to me is the hike.

Don't forget that in country cacheing the greater distance you travel between caches. Not the density of caches in the country that you have in the city.

Not necessarily so. Here are Harriaman & Bear Mtn State Parks in NY:

e1081edd-387d-4d8c-8144-a77868b8f293.jpg

Edited by briansnat

Here in northern Minnesota the cache quality seems to be pretty high whether they are country or urban caches. Never seen a cache that involved a lamppost, parking lot, hypodermic needles, gay cruising, or any of the other usual complaints. I know we have some cachers that like to up the ante, but we also have a LOT of public land--though a fair amount is closed to caching. Somewhere around 40% of the land up here is public. That gives hiders a lot of room to work for placing great caches.

Seems to me the most important thing cachers can do for this sport is advocate for agencies to aquire more public land and vote for candidates that are in favor of increasing the public land base. All you have to do is look at the party platform to find this out--they don't hide it.

Of course no matter where I lived, I'd prefer at least a mile hike to a cache.

I like it all!

Some days its 10 miles of hiking for 1-2 caches, some days its 40 caches.

Either way, I usually prefer human-powered transportation (hike, bike or paddle) over the car when possible, 'cause how much exercise (and fun!) ya gonna get driving to within 300ft of every cache?

Definitely country caching!

We live ner the Pine Barrens and there is nothing like driving down a bumpy unpaved road, stopping and getting out of your car and being hit with that clean pine scent. The only sound you hear is the wind rippling through the trees (and not a muggle in sight!)

I go caching to get away from urban life. I dont particularly care to have to be constantly worried about some muggle watching me feel up a lamppost!

One thing about city caching is that often the caches - and particularly virtuals - are near things worth seeing, or places of historical interest. My wife and I did a 2,500 mile road trip from Mississippi to Chicago and back a month ago and found lots of caches along the way - many of them city caches. We discovered lots of fascinating places that the tourist guide books don't cover.

I'm a country boy when it comes to caching, but I'll do the urban ones too just for a change of pace. The walk to a cache is one of the reasons I do this crazy game, it gets me some exercise. The cache Robespierre mentioned above is on my list of caches to do before the snow hits Ohio, I'll get down to Marion again soon.

City/urban caches can be very interesting due to some historical or cultural link to them, but they also can be downright nasty. I'm thinking of a particular under-the-bridge cache in a busy downtown area in NE Indiana that fits in the nasty category. Then just a few minutes away is another urban bridge cache (GCH2JX) that is outstanding. It is a challenge, attested to by all the DNF's in its log.

I like urban, suburban, country and wilderness, depending on my mood, my time, and the oportunity. Urban caching always has the muggle discomfort factor, but, then some urban caches are way cool in their hiding spots and camaflage. I also quite enjoy a good local puzzle cache for a rainy day project. Living in a large metrapolitan area for the last few years, it is wonderul to head out and discover a beautiful little nearby park that I never knew was there and just enjoy and moment. In the end, a good hike in the woods is hard to beat for the pure joy of experience, but then, the cache becomes less of a focus and maybe even a little bit of spoilage in an otherwise prestine area.

I like them all if they are well done and offer something novel, interesting, or beautiful. I don't care for any that are just a box or film canistry stuck in some not-so-special spot as an excuse to hide another cache.

I prefer country caches. You get to see more wildlife and moe of a chance for "A wonderful day in the world of Ev...". hehe. but some of it has to do with how i feel too. If I just want to get a few finds I do urban caches, and that also has to do with how much time I have like if I get a late start. I do love thecountry caches more. I'm a country kinda girl anyways.

Its too far for me to maintain but I know of a place in AZ that is a 1500 feet gain in altitude up a trail 6 miles in that ends at an observation platform that has a light pole with a liftable base. I always wanted to place a micro in the base of the light.

Just because it would be funny. a GREAT hike and view that ends in a lamp post micro.

I'm just evil that way I guess.

Michael

Caching in the city can be fun, but not enough to keep me interested for any length of time. More something you do when you have enough spare time on your hands to be somewhat bored. The great thing about gps units though is how easy they make it to wander deep into the backcountry. The caches I plan for, look forward to, and remember afterwards are the ones that involve a good deal of hiking, climbing, and even planning to get to. The more off trail navigation required the better.

I prefer the country ones, but often do the city caches as i'm in the coast guard and pull into places like boston and NYC. My wife is getting tired of the 'log and rock lifting' and wants to do a micro in the Philly area... i'm excited to see her pains of frustration when she looks in all the 'country' style hiding places!

I tend to prefer the rural caches and all of my hides except for one (which is now archived) are rural for that reason. That isn't to say that I dislike urban. I tend to save those though for various circumstances. For example, I saved some for a snow caching day last winter. I am saving some others for snow caching right now. Sometimes I have just wanted to drive around and see what I see in the urban area and get some caches. I save them for a day of that. In the reverse, I save some rural caches for the perfect outdoor day. I have been saving a series on a bike trail for when I get a bike for over a year. With winter coming I guess they will be saved longer! Others I saved for the perfect hiking day. Etc etc. I guess I like to try to maximize my experiences or go after caches to suit my current mood! :blink:

Edited by carleenp

Star Prefers the kuntry caches , they are wonderful and give you a great hike . The city caches however can be fun and informative as well . Some city caches we have done have been very clever indeed . My favorite City Cache is one called Indiana Joe and the seekers of the Lost Cache GCJFF9

GCJFF9

and one of our favorite Kuntry Caches would be this one

GCKGEP

Wulf's Favorite Urban GCJBGB

Challenging Caches are great People !

Star of Team Tigger International

You know, that is such a steryotype.

I moved to Cacheville, USA from Ashtabula County, Ohio. In Ashtabula County, there is at least one of almost every type you'd want to find. And there are only 34 caches.

Ashtabula county is the most rural part of the state. The largest county area wise is mostly farmland and most of the homes have large yards (my childhood home is 5 acres of land), plenty of areas off the beaten paths, etc...

If you want a 2 mile walk to a traditional cache, we've got it.

If you want a 7 stage multi that takes at least an hour, we've got it.

If you want a 4 stage multi that requires driving between locations there's one of those, too.

We have two travel bug hotels, a sneaky micro, a micro in a tree, a micro under a tree, our very own micro in a light pole, we have caches about history of the county, we have caches just because, we have one entirely about baseball....

I've been told that some of the caches I've yet to find here in cacheville are mile long walks at least. Sure, we have our fair share of micros in light poles and guard rails, but at the same time, we have quite a few full sized caches.

Sure, caching in the boonies will yield you more opportunity for a long walk, and the city has it's issues with that - not as much open land, state parks require permits, etc... But caching in the city can be just as fun - and most cities tend to have more history associated with them then little cities.