Business Trip Geocaching

geoguyver

I always cache on business trips, often flying out early or staying an extra day to cache. I have even been known to schedule meetings in places I normally would not go because it looks like an interesting cache area. Like Kansas City and Wichita this week, St. Louis next week. I will have to admit that i generally do caches of terrain level 2 or less when on business trips, just because I will be caching in slacks and hard soles. Lots of virts on the road too, whether you like virts or not you can usually count on them being there, they rarely get plundered.

When I travelled alot, geocaching wasn't born yet. By the time I started geocaching, my company all but ended any business travel and of course, since I was downsized I haven't done any business travel.

But IF I were to travel, I'd certainly geocache after work. It's better than sitting in the hotel bar and way better than staring at the ceiling of your room.

Edited by briansnat

I also do it all the time. Thank goodness for pocket queries and a PDA. I load up 500 caches and away we go. Sometimes my schedule is too tight, but most of the time I take the first flight out and the last flight back home specifically to have time to go caching. I think somewhere around 35 to 40 percent of my found caches are outside of GA. I have seen some great places in the U.S. just because of geocaches taking me there.

Two years ago (pre-geocaching involvment) I spent a week in Seattle. Sure wish I had been into it then. Due to the "economic down turn" (read recession) I don't travel on business much any more. When the chance comes up the first thing into the briefcase will be the GPS. :unsure: One of the worst things aboud business travel is finding something to fill up the off work hours. Caching would be great.

sure beats hanging around in the hotel room!!

Beats even sauna! I'm not sent very often to business trips, but I've used all the chances to cache on those few ons. Last time, after the seminar was over, and everyone else prepared to go to sauna, I borrowed my boss's car and found two nearby caches. I managed to get back to dinner in time. :unsure:

caching on the road is the only thing that stops me from stamping my feet and crying when i get sent out. a lot of my work travel is 8 hours of driving for 25 minutes of surveying. i print out several cache sheets for the area i'm going to and hit them after...okay sometimes before... my appointments.

There really isn't anything like driving around in a new community, looking for a park that you didn't realize was up the wrong way on the "new" road, to look for an ammo can full of Mctoys! Seriously, I do go caching when out of town and I like to take TBs with me if the business trip location jives with the TB's goals. I guess I get a kick out adding some miles to the TB's and getting them closer to their goals. It also sharpened up my caching skills (first night cache, in a new area, with unfamiliar roads, etc. Loved it! Still managed to get tanked in the hotel bar after the caching :unsure: .

I am looking forward to my seminar in Las Vegas next week due to the crap load out there. Most by the hotel are virtual caches but only 5 or so miles to a traditional cache. Viva Las Caches!

You might want to contact nevadageocaching.com. Most of the membership is from the Las Vegas area, they are very helpfull to visiting geocachers.

VENDOR: Since your company is our largest customer, we'd like to invite you tor a two-day conference about redesigning our product offerings. Your input would be helpful.

LEP: Where would this be?

VENDOR: Seattle, Washington.

LEP (drooling): Ummm, who would handle the arrangements for my trip?

VENDOR: Everything's on us. Hotel on Puget Sound, rental car, meals... everything.

LEP: Any chance I could upgrade that rental to an SUV? I have some friends in the area and we might want to do a little.... exploring.

VENDOR: Sure, why not?

LEP: Any chance I could sort of forget to catch the flight home, and stay a few days after the conference?

VENDOR: Sure, why not? The roundtrip is cheaper if you stay the weekend.

Chalk up 25 high-quality cache finds on Whidbey Island and in the Everett, Washington area. :unsure:

With my wife not enthralled with my geocaching activities business trips are practically the only time I can cache! I was in St Louis a few weeks ago and flew in a day early; rented a car and found 27 in one day (putting 200+ miles on the car). My count for the whole week was almost 40.

I am off to London in a few weeks and am trying to get in a day early so that I will have almost 2 days before getting back to work. (Then I will only be able to night-cache the rest of the week.)

The great thing about caching while on business trips is that almost anywhere I go there are more caches than where I live!

I am looking forward to my seminar in Las Vegas next week due to the crap load out there. Most by the hotel are virtual caches but only 5 or so miles to a traditional cache. Viva Las Caches!

You might want to contact nevadageocaching.com. Most of the membership is from the Las Vegas area, they are very helpfull to visiting geocachers.

Thanks for the tip! I will try contacting them. My presentation is done on Wednesday AM and I should have Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning to try and hunt around.

Business travel is made more fun with geocaching. Because of this, we now have found caches in 14 states. It is interesting to see the differences in caching philosophy as you travel around. We found one in New England (Massachusetts or New Hampshire) where the clue was - "By a big rock." We walked to the site and there it was - in the middle of a rocky wooded area, in plain sight, by a big rock. In the south and the midwest, most of the caches are fairly easy to find. Indeed, they are placed to be easy to find for the searching geocacher but hard to find for any muggle. In southern California, on the other hand, many cachers take devious delight in placing caches such that confound the most dedicated searchers.

The on trail versus bushwhacking argument also reveals differences. Much of the wilderness in southern California is rather sensitive - a couple of off-trail forays can easily lead to major erosion during the winter's rain. Some of the New England woods and midwestern grasslands seem that offtrail hiking will have no impact.

I'm looking forward to finding at least one cache in every state!

Team Geo-Jedi

I am currently sitting in a hotel room in Omaha on a business trip - entering logs and reviewing forums. Flew in a couple days early specifically to do some caching, and snuck out early today because meetings were done. Logged 19 finds, and saw amazing local sites.

Anybody have any discussions going about how caching is different in the various locations they travel?

Well that's funny, it's only because of business travel that I actually discovered Geocaching! I was on a trip to Nebraska when a friend introduced me to it - after that, I got a GPS for general navigation.

My family and I used the GPS extensively for travel and navigation, but it wasn't until we went back to Nebraska again - almost a year later - that we really got hooked on Geocaching! The entire family is definitely hooked for good now, I'm just sad it took this long and we missed so many opportunities in our travels this past year to have some real fun.

This same friend is on a business trip up here this week, and we made sure to return the favor and take him out hunting today as well. After all, it's all his fault! :)

Edited by FSU*Noles

Always. I travel for a living for my job as a software consultant - espeically once daylight savings kicks in, it's the best way to spend evenings after work. Beats filling my fat face and sitting in my hotel room, and I get to explore areas away from the "business traveler shopping/hotel strips" that are the usual only places other business travelers visit. My customers are always impressed that I often know more about the local parks and hiking trails than they do.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

I always find a cache or two on business trips. Nothing beats driving the rental car around a new area, drinking a latte, munching snacks, and looking for caches at the end of whatever work it was you were doing that day. Sometimes it can get a little hectic trying to squeeze in a cache before catching a plane.

The most fun I had was flying into Coos Bay, OR in a Horizon Dash 8 during wind warnings on a wet and cold November day. I only managed a couple virtuals (struck out on a traditional). But the wave action on the bar was truly awe inspiring.

Every chance I get.

I get a bit frustrated by poorly categorized caches though. Mainly, multi- or puzzle- caches that are not categorized as such.

Nothing worse than searching 30 minutes for a "traditional cache" in a foreign city, not finding it, and then going to post a DNF only to read the first 9 words of the description: "There is no cache at the above posted coordinates - "... Grrrrr. Back at the beginning of December, I posted requests to several owners of incorrectly categorized caches to get the cache type changed - they remain badly categorized. [:)]

I used to travel all over northern Europe and western US before I geocached. Now I rarely travel. However, I am travelling to Dallas later this month and will be dragging my GPS and caching PDA along in case I get an opportunity to find a couple of caches. The trouble with business trips is that they are often planned such that you don't really have much spare time during the day. While I do a lot of night caching locally, I'm not too keen on night caching by myself in an unfamiliar city where, it seems, everyone is packing heat. :bad:

Gorak

Always have made time to geocache on business trips. There is not much to do other than hang out at the hotel. Unlimited miles on the rental car make transportation no problem. The client has even cooperated a little: giving an evening or two to myself, letting leave a little early from the day's agenda, easiest routes to the cache area.

G

Geocaching has become an integral part of by business trips. It's allowed me to find caches in Denver, Boulder, Chicago, Switzerland, Italy, Portugal, and Vatican City. I'm headed back to Europe next week and plan on logging caches from Germany, France, and Spain. I'm just pissed that my trip to Sweden in March just got cancelled. And to think my wife thinks I'm obsessive. :lol: It's going to be a good year!

Geocaching has become an integral part of by business trips. It's allowed me to find caches in Denver, Boulder, Chicago, Switzerland, Italy, Portugal, and Vatican City. I'm headed back to Europe next week and plan on logging caches from Germany, France, and Spain. I'm just pissed that my trip to Sweden in March just got cancelled. And to think my wife thinks I'm obsessive. :lol: It's going to be a good year!

I need to get into your line of work! :P

turned out yesterday that the new cacher in my area, who had visited my cache, was sitting opposite my desk in the office! we found out when I took out a travel bug to clean it, someone else asked me what I was doing and they said "I know what he's doing - we've got some"...and that was the end of any work for an hour and a half as we demonstrated caching and the finds!

The people I travel with on business trips have had to learn to live with the fact that we WILL find a couple of caches on the trip. Some of them really get into it, others seem to put up with it with a nice, quiet resolve. Probalby just glad that I'm not draggin' them off to some strip club. :unsure:

Bret

I haven't been on an out of town business trip for several years due to budget cuts, but I have been to quite a few out of the office meetings in the tri-state area.

I always manage to find time for a few stops on the way to or from the meetings for a quick hit (hmm - business meeting - muddy shoes - wonder where he's been?)

I've also been known to make a few detours when traveling between meetings and during lunch.

-PD

I haven't traveled since getting back to work a few months ago, but plan on being is Seattle before the end of the month.

Will have to grab a few instead of sitting in the hotel room (yawn).I have a client that really enjoys hiking so maybe I'll try to bring him over to the dark side :unsure: