How Far Do You Drive To Caches?

How far do some of you drive to get to caches? I just started on Dec. 15 2003 and have 18 finds. Not too bad compared to the other cachers in this area. The problem being that I am now having to drive 30-45 minutes to get to new caches. Is it because I live in a remote area? Is it easier when you live closer to a bigger city?

Mastifflover

So far, most are very close by. I live in a suburban area outside Portland, Oregon. At last count there were 43 more caches to find within 5 miles of my house. I would definitely say if you live in a remote area it's likely you'll have to drive farther and farther from home to keep your find count climbing.

As for how far I'd drive: If it was reasonable, I'd drive 50 miles to find a cache, maybe even a hundred if I really felt it was worth the trip (or if I happened to be making the trip anyway).

I just did a little research on this one. Within 20 miles of Indian Pipe Trail cache, that is an early find of yours, there are 24 caches. Within 20 miles of my first find there are 633 caches. I notice that you have one hide already. By hiding a cache you are encouraging others to find caches. One response to finding is to hide caches to help pay back. We don't all live in a city with lots of caches, but we can all help spread caching.

I agree with WeightMan, hiding caches will encourage others to hide. I just hid three today. My first hides. I spent about 50 hours over 3 weeks to set up one Multi and two Trads, all within walking distance from home and all .2 miles of each other. Hopefully by placing them within easy access of each other it will encourage cachers to seek them all at once. I am also hoping that having a D/T rating higher than the average in this area will encourage better caches to be hidden within 20 miles from me. I like the harder ones. I've been a seeker since I was knee high to a grasshopper. :(

Driving to and finding a cache is usually the result of driving to some other activity or business. In other words, caching is a pleasant adjunct to some other activity or purpose for travel. If I'm out of the office for a meeting or project, I'll look to see if there are any caches in the area to search for during a break or at the end of the day. If I'm out of town on business I'll look for caches in that town. If I'm on vacation, I'll look for caches along the route or at the destination. There are times when the location of a hike or place to go will be a selected based on the number of potential caches in the area. Lately, I've been trying to find all the caches in my neighborhood that I can walk to. There's only two or three left that I can practically walk to now. Its been great. Its amazing how much more you can see just by walking.

Well, I once drove close 800 miles in a single weekend to do some caching. 350 miles to get there (stopped several times and scored a dozen caches along the way), 35 caches while I was there, and another 350 miles home (and another dozen caches found along the way).

Why did I do it? Because they were there! :( There are over 1000 caches within 75 miles of my house, but I still go out of town to cache, for the variety.

To date I haven't driven more than 150 miles for a day of geocaching. Even though there are hundreds of them within a radius of half that distance, I tend to seek out hides created by members of the sport who have a reputation for creativity. It's worth driving 150 miles, in my opinion, even if it results in a DNF - provided the hide is easy enough to reach but well camo'd and difficult to find; and I usually find a good previously unvisited restaurant or two during the journey. :(

Edited by gallahad

Aside from my own, the nearest caches to me are 15 miles in any direction. I've found a lot of the closer ones, although a new one just popped up this past week that I'll have to find....my first multi. <shudder> I'm now out to a 18 mile ring from my house to find caches, and it's getting bigger each time I go out. I'm a slow cacher, so it's going to be awhile before I have to drive more than 25 miles one-way.

Did a little search for caches in the nearest larger cities in my area and there were literally hundreds of caches within a 20 mile radius. Now I see how some of you folks can hit 10-20 caches in one day. I am soooo jealous!! :( Guess I will have to plan a trip to Buffalo Ny or Erie Pa. both about 2 hours away from me to do some power Geocaching!

Mastifflover

When I started out geocaching I would hit one or two and head home. But as the distance to unfound caches has increased I've changed tactics. Now I wait until I have a "critical mass" of unfound caches in a "distant" area. Then I make a full day of it, finding an average of 10 caches or so per trip. I would guesstimate that 97% of my caching has been within 60 miles of my home, but we are fortunate to have a fair number of caches here. I started out hunting only the easier caches on these extended trips but now I find that most of the "low hanging fruit" has been picked, so I've started tackling some of the tougher stuff as well.

Hey Mastifflover...

Just read your comments about not many caches near you and that you planned on going to Erie to find more. I just hid 4 more caches yesterday and there's lots more in the area already. Come on by! South Buffalo has alot of caches as does the Cleveland area where I have hit alot lately.

Btw. I found the cache that you just adopted back in early November and it was my first snow cache this season. Found alot more since then. Cya!

Just did a check... I have 146 *unfound* caches within a 30 mile radius, as the crow flies, but for all but 9 of those I need to take at least one ferry, and most of the remaining require a considerable drive-around. This means that I don't have much opportunities for "caching during lunch break" (never mind that self-employed people tend not to have lunch breaks), and that I find most of my caches either on the fly (while traveling for some other reason), or during a special caching day-trip.

Edited by Shunra
Did a little search for caches in the nearest larger cities in my area and there were literally hundreds of caches within a 20 mile radius. Now I see how some of you folks can hit 10-20 caches in one day. I am soooo jealous!! :mad: Guess I will have to plan a trip to Buffalo Ny or Erie Pa. both about 2 hours away from me to do some power Geocaching!

Mastifflover

Finding a lot of caches in a single day is a different kind of fun. You may realize that finding that take a hour or two each in the field are more enjoyable.

If I want to find a number of caches I drive 100 miles to Lincoln, NE or 150+ Miles to Omaha, NE - Council Bluffs, Iowa area. I have driven further than that on a geocaching weekend with the grandkids with grandma helping out. Lots of Lewis and Clark Caches in Eastern and Northern NE, Western IA and MO right now as the Lewis and Clark Centennial celebration is coming up soon. Sometimes my Son and I go on a day road trip together and take some of the grandkids along.

As I've posted in the past, there are 35 geocaches within 50 miles (as the crow flies) of my house. I own 10 of those. The closest cache to me that I don't own is 32 miles away. (I of course have found that).

The closest cache I haven't found is 54.7 miles as the crow flies. Of course I have to drive 50 miles to Vicksburg to cross the MS River, then 40 or so miles across I-20, then 10 or more off of I-20. So.... it's not the closest to me...

The closest cache in MS to me is 56 miles, but I again must drive over 80 miles to get to it. I've found 124 out of the 190 geocaches within 100 miles of my house. Most have required me to drive 80 miles one way.

Needless to say I usually only get to geocache once or twice a month. I have added 10 caches and have 10 more in the works - I'll get them out as soon as I can. There are new geocachers in the area and I want them to not have to drive 40 or 50 miles like I did.

I wonder if anybody lives in a more cache-deficient area that is EAST of the MS (and in the US) than me.

southdeltan

We currently have 482 within 25 miles of our driveway in NW suburban Chicago.

Trouble is, ony 29 left to be found(and at least a third of those are disabled now).

Means dedicated cache trips usually in the 30 - 60 mile one way range now, I really want my Geo Metro back - gas in the van is killing me.

Still extremely lucky to have 588 unfound cache within 60 miles.

Thanks to all the Chicago area and Southern Wisconsin area cache hiders for the fantastic number of caches in the area.