Cachers met while caching

I know this has been asked before, but I felt like an update!

Not including meets and local caches put out for events (where you're almost certain to bump into someone!) how many cachers have others met while out caching (or even in the supermarket, which would be more freaky!)

The reason I ask is that we bumped into yet another cacher last night about 7:15 (thedoc58) and apparently only narrowly missed the local FTF hound at the site. We're up to a grand total of 4 times now (learned Gerbil, Dallan72, Kewfriend and thedoc58) which doesn't sound much, but thats just over a year and 500 caches...

So anyone else? What about experienced cachers who've never met anyone! We love bumping into people, especially people we know of but have never met!

Dave

Met my first ever cachers at the site of Camley Street gardens Cache - the "Uraca's", a lovely american couple and i spent around ten minutes chatting to each other. At the start of Goldpots - Secret garden, i bumped into "the leadmagnets", and we chatted as we made out way to the final cache location together. While checking coordinates for a multi i was placing i happened to spy someone signing the log of another local cachers cache, Heffalump007, again we chatted and IIRC i gave him a clue to the whereabouts of another cache that he failed to find. Again at the site of a cache i met "Huga", he was trying covertly to replace Paddington street gardens, i was just attempting the final assualt on it, when i saw him reach the hiding place i could only guess he was trying to retrieve it, little did i know the area had become muggle city and he'd been trying to replace it for 45 minutes :bad:. Although i'd met Currykev the once before for me to hand over some cache, i mean cash, and for him to hand over some coins, i bumped into him trying to look inconspicuous on a local bridge whilst trying to get the FTF of a rather fiendish cache and finally -

I met ElDitton, not at a cache site, not at an event, but on a boat trip upto the Thames tidal barrier. There me and Squiggles were, minding out own business, looking intently at the GPS, (she wanted to see it change form westing to easting :bad:), when up popped this guy who asked "are you by any chance geocachers" :P

Uraca

The Leadmagnets

Heffalump007

Huga

Currykev

ElDitton

There was also a Dutch couple whose names i neglected to get so i'll leave the list at 8 fellow cachers met.

Seems to happen more and more these days - I'd found 300-odd before I met my first cachers 'in the wild', but I was spotted in a London park, sansGPS the other day by cachers who recognised me from an Oxford meet. And last Sunday three of us were cycling the Kennet and Avon canal (mpg video now here and smaller wmv video here. Right click and "save target as...") when we saw three cachers (+wife along for the walk) coming the other way. I'd say it happens once or twice per 100 finds now, on average.

Other than at and arround events we have met

Snerdbe

Dignut

The Crafty Diggers.

One of Arrks

The Cuckoos

Flyingmonkey 72

We see the Bolas Heathens but thats at the local school both our kids attend so i dont think it counts !

In addition we have been to see Team maddie, The time lord, Happy Humphrey and Shynaggh away from events and caches.

Mark can see the Iron Mountain travel bug hotel from his office window so has probably seen many more cachers.

Applogies to anyone we have forgotten.

Apart from events, and cachers I've been out caching with, I've bumped into 10 teams (I think).

Andybug and Ladybird, with an Ollie,

Beds Clangers

Baldie (without Luscious that day)

bones1

KiwiGary

SHAJE

Simon_C_here

Team XL5

Wadders

I've also met Izzy and the Lizard King, and one half of TattyteddiesN&H, but they're related so probably don't count

Edited by The Bongtwashes

Hmmm

Cachers I've met out in the field without it being an event or planned meet up....?

The 1st cachers I ever met out in the field were Kitebuggyboy and Ninkle, and for a while, we found ourselves bumping into them every Tuesday evening... very strange.

Then... the mysterious Mutato Nomine Caches appeared in Cheshire, and had us Cheshire Cachers going round in circles...

It was as that point I met:

Skippy and Pingu (who are now very good friends of mine!) :bad:

AC-P (another regular caching partner) :P

Phoenix (glad he's not caching anymore - chance for the rest of us to get an FTF!!) :P

Later on I met Team Falcon whilst they were in Cheshire, but aside from that, I don't think I've met anyone else rummaging around in the bushes. :bad:

H

We seem to bump into quite a lot of cachers whilst out caching. I'll try and remember them all here (in no particular order) but apologies to any we forgot:

snerdbe

Izzy & The Lizard King

The Washers

MarcB

Rosie's Rangers

tacanman

The Haywood Hornet

stevo185

PhilPamAndRob

Lathama

Modge_UK

dibbler69

There are quite a few more - I'll add to them as I remember them.

Mrs BH and the childen also see markandlynn a lot as their children go to the same school as ours.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

I've bumped into the following on my caching travels:

4Burtons at "The Water Way"

Pink Paisley at "Premier Redz"

Bob of the Bongtwashes at "Beth-J" and again at "Homers Cache" beating each other to the FTF.

John of John and the Girls between "Sarky and Hutch04" and 05. He was not caching, but out for a bike ride.

Other cachers that I have met:

Newington Green - my parents

ID Monkey - at work and who I introduced to caching

Dakar4x4 - we used to work in the same office

I was FTF on a suburban Brum micro recently ("Stationary Stash"). I was just replacing the cache when Wisewol came trotting round the corner, GPSr in hand. He is the first and only cacher I've met. We had a chat and he mentioned how he often went FTF-ing in the dead of night with a big torch. About a week later, I had a new set published at midnight. By 3am he had 4 FTFs (and missed a 5th owing to an error by me :bad: ). Next day he found the rest and FTF'd the Bonus. All in all a fair trade for pipping him to a micro!

What's the crack with these event caches? Who organises them? Has there ever been one in Brum?

MJ

Badger and I bumped into a caching family the other Sunday, which was a bit embarrassing 'cos we were there replacing the cache they'd just spent ages looking for!

A long time back, when my finds were still in double figures, I DNF'd a local virgin cache straight after work, but took a chance that the Land Rovers would shortly be along to lead me right to it (based on their then prolific deflowering of Essex virgins) and so sat down and waited... sure enough about 10 minutes later a couple turned up with a piece of paper and a gps, and duly went straight to it, so I was able to surprise them as they signed the log and add my name to it too. Does sitting by a caching honey trap waiting for cachers count?

12 months, 290 caches we've met:

1 Obnoxoius family (who we never got to know who they were, and they never logged the cache)

1 Family who had already found a cache we were after (we walked past and left them to re-hide it, spoke to them as they were leaving -but didn't let on we were cachers- they found out as we had to leave a note on the cache page to say they had left their coat at the cache!)

1 Father of a cacher (10 year old at home, so we never met him)

and 20 minutes behind JollyJax and Ashaaria on the Alpha Quest -Y Bonus cache

and several caches -where people have put a time on the log- we've been half an hour or so behind, but no sign of anyone...

Edited by KandG

Oh, I bumped into a cache whilst caching at the weekend.....

ok, that sounds a bit obvious, so I feel I must explain that the cache wasn't in my gps*, nor was I looking for any cache at that point, I was on my way back to the car from what I thought was going to be my 12th and last of the day in Epping Forest, when I saw what was obviously a good place for a cache, complete with handy barkoflage.... wait a minute, that barkoflage really IS barkoflage! Two minutes later and I have my thirteenth and totally unexpected cache!

*Cos of something to do with gsak thinking I'd already found it though I hadn't, I'd just somehow managed to get it thinking I've done a lot of Purple_Pineapple's caches as well as my own, when I haven't.

I've managed to bump into three cachers while out caching, ignoring here the wonderful mob at the Marstons Meet.

The first (Saddlesore1000 @ Brampton Valley Way #1), beat me to an FTF as we met, him leaving, me approaching, both hurrying, on a path, didn't acknowledge each other, and hurried past in opposite directions.

The second, (Brynric @ Motorway Mayhem M42 J2 - Radford) we met in a motorway service area, both looking for the same cache, worked together and found it, and had a decent chat about caches he'd set, (some of my favourites btw.) and we'd each found.

The third (katiegremlin @ Honiley Hunt) beat me to an FTF by the time it took me to turn my car and park it, and we had a very similar chat to the previous one.

I work in a small office, of under 30 people (in a huge corporation). Just after lunch today, three desks away a group of three people were chatting, and I heard the word "travelbug". A bit of earwigging later, and I joined the conversation. Two more geo-cachers met, and one more possible convert to the hobby gained - so I've met as many in my own office as out in the world!

A few months ago we were attempting the first stage of a puzzle cache and due to an error on my part (hard to believe I know) had got the co-ords slightly wrong and instead of wandering round aimlessly within a park we were wandering around aimlessly on the road outside. On the point of giving up we were walking back to the car when a familiar voice asked us what we were doing. It was Bargee who happened to be driving past on a non-caching expedition who stopped when he recognised us. I explained what we were doing and although he hadn't done the cache himself by an amazing coincidence he had the first set of co-ordinates with him and was able to point us in the right direction. Possibly the luckiest start to a puzzle cache ever.

I've met Deva Duo, Obi Wan, Hayward Hornet (twice), Phantom Phlyers, Purple 69 and the MPK Crew while cycling past my own caches!

While out seeking caches I met Jill caching in the US and Phil and Rob of PhilPamand Rob on the Wirral. I also spotted some cachers doing the virtual at Bolton Abbey when we were out walking (not caching) and Happy Humphrey when he was trying to find a cache (that had been muggled) again as we were just walking by- we weren't sure it was him but the giveaway was that he suddenly became extraordinarily intersted in taking a photo of a duck as we passed! :D

Oooh, seems I have had more chance discoveries of other cachers than most.

I have chance met 20 different cachers/caching familes on 20 occasions!

There are two cachers that I have met three times.

I have chance met cachers in England, Scotland and Wales.

This does not include cachers met at events of course.

from my profile:

Cachers met caching purely by chance (not at events, all in Devon, unless stated otherwise):

The Coastway Cruisers (London), Haggis Hunter (Dorset), Davy Boy (Dorset), The Crinklys (Cornwall), Ullium (Scotland), Plymplodder&Smithmart, Skate, SixBrowns4him (Wales), Davy Boy&Plymplodder&Smithmart (Hampshire), Woodbury Walker (Dorset), Davy Boy, JustTheDriver, Skate, Achaos (Dorset), Lost_my_Bearings, WillDeBeast, Moote,Pengy&Tigger(Wales), Flying Boots(Wales), Rutson&XBox Explorers(Wiltshire), Plymplodders&Freddy McTavish.

Oooh, seems I have had more chance discoveries of other cachers than most.

I have chance met 20 different cachers/caching familes on 20 occasions!

There are two cachers that I have met three times.

I have chance met cachers in England, Scotland and Wales.

This does not include cachers met at events of course.

from my profile:

Cachers met caching purely by chance (not at events, all in Devon, unless stated otherwise):

The Coastway Cruisers (London), Haggis Hunter (Dorset), Davy Boy (Dorset), The Crinklys (Cornwall), Ullium (Scotland), Plymplodder&Smithmart, Skate, SixBrowns4him (Wales), Davy Boy&Plymplodder&Smithmart (Hampshire), Woodbury Walker (Dorset), Davy Boy, JustTheDriver, Skate, Achaos (Dorset), Lost_my_Bearings, WillDeBeast, Moote,Pengy&Tigger(Wales), Flying Boots(Wales), Rutson&XBox Explorers(Wiltshire), Plymplodders&Freddy McTavish.

An official GeoSlut..'scuse the language. :D

Not including meets and local caches put out for events (where you're almost certain to bump into someone!) how many cachers have others met while out caching (or even in the supermarket, which would be more freaky!)

I have actually lost count how many cachers I have bumped into by chance. I did bump into marmal as he was leaving Marks & Sparks as I was going in.

um, as far as I can remember (and apologies if I missed any out)...

Bedlington Duo

Daisy and her Man

Tizzie

Simply Paul

House of Boo

The Ollies

Andybug and Ladybird

Simon C here (what's that funny man doing up that tree?)

Billhillies

Gaz Nes and Layla

Sensei XYZ

The Wrinklies

Padmassana (who is the first other cacher I met)

Old Ragbag

The White Family

Sonic

The Fair Bears

Sinjy (no Sadie with him when I met him)

Speediesounds

thisisace

Bob Smith

DaBaEm

The Lolly Gang (we each thought the other was muggles and didn't greet each other!)

Not including people bumped into on event days, when the woods are thick with cachers. I have bumped into most of the local cachers more than once. I will add any more I remember later.

We've met a few in our 146 Caches:

MarcoXono (on only our 5th Cache)

Laughalot (pipping us to an FTF by 2 minutes)

The Hornet (does that count twice? On the day of an event but 5 miles from it and on an old cache)

Mr.Dewdrop (just coming away from another FTF and beating us by about 5 minutes)

8paws4Legs

Edited to add:

"The Cryptic Souls Boo" (1 from Cryptic Souls Crew & 1 from House of Boo on a joint mission)

Edited by Phil and Ruth

Hmm...I think the list might be very long...

Marmal

Klicknik and Dape teams (Prague)

Dazadude

Yob Kulcha

Pooter

Edinburgh Walker

Team Bostik

Billy Twigger

Tupperware Party

Swift (Northern Ireland)

Deputy Dawg

The Stubbornly Oaks (London)

mdf flyer (twice)

There are probably more! If you want to bump into other cachers, thechances are much higher if you visit new caches in the first few days after they're published.

We've met a few along the way, probably about the average number though from reading this:

- Marigaux Toby (as we were stuck along an obscure farmers track that nobody else would use!),

- Simply Paul in Regent's Park,

- John Stead writing on the cache log and a new family along with Wirral Way who appeared to be having a little difficulty so we didn't like to disturb them!

- Oh and we were just driving off from a cache when Bess's Friends where pulling up so a very near-miss.

:D

Just to add my tupence worth...

I've met (whilst out Geocaching) ...

Snerdbe

Super Ted

Wisewol (sort of in passing)

Starz Bars

Grizly Pair and

Daddy Cool

Also, my friend. Brian, at work and I were talking to one of our bosses at work when Brian start taking the P*** out of my geocaching when the gaffer says, "What's wrong with that, I go out with my son cacheing!". That shut him up.

Bedlington Duo

Daisy and her Man

Tizzie

Simply Paul

House of Boo

The Ollies

Andybug and Ladybird

Billhillies

Gaz Nes and Layla

Sensei XYZ

The Wrinklies

Old Ragbag

The White Family

Sonic

The Fair Bears

Speediesounds

thisisace

Bob Smith

DaBaEm

The Lolly Gang (we each thought the other was muggles and didn't greet each other!)

Not including people bumped into on event days, when the woods are thick with cachers. I have bumped into most of the local cachers more than once. I will add any more I remember later.

Are you a cache Geobabe or a Geostalker? :)

I sure to miss someone off my list, but here goes,

Deego (on only my second caching trip!)

aRRKS

Browni

Haywood Hornet (several times)

Alibags

Vimes

Chillie Slim Kid

mikelinandmalc

lost-tyke

Hampk - and yes, this was in the supermarket. It doesn't seem so strange if you know we live in the same village, but then Morrisons isn't our local supermarket! (Though we have met in the village Co-op aswell.)

from my profile:

Just been reminded by the above that we've also met Stuey and Lianne from The Cachehoppers :rolleyes:

Bedlington Duo

Daisy and her Man

Tizzie

Simply Paul

House of Boo

The Ollies

Andybug and Ladybird

Billhillies

Gaz Nes and Layla

Sensei XYZ

The Wrinklies

Old Ragbag

The White Family

Sonic

The Fair Bears

Speediesounds

thisisace

Bob Smith

DaBaEm

Are you a cache Geobabe or a Geostalker? :anitongue:

At one stage I think I was a geostalker - I kept bumping into Freespirit!

She was the first cacher I ever bumped into

I also have met:

The Lydford Locators (at the Ogbourne series for the first time)

Zr 7 (with Freespirit)

MMattyK (with Freespirt of course)

Team Whasp (Canadian cachers I met in Ottawa)

JB Colman (with 3 week old son!- not sure if they are still caching)

I saw some cachers last night at the fireworks display in Aylesbury.

One of them was even on the Mix 96 stage winning a competition!!! (Robert from Jolly Green Giants) :laughing:

Does that count?

I remember taking my sister-in-law and her boyfriend out caching in Devon. They asked if we ever bumped into other cachers. I said it was very rare... and what happened? We were joined by 8 other cachers and friends looking for the same cache on Burgh Island!

WE'VE MET A FEW CACHERS,

Sensei TSKC - on our 1st cache doing one of his

Jolly Jax - Round Aylesbury walk - Brookside

Bakandian - This was sent to tax us

Zensunni - Ken and Anne - Full House (Poker hand series)

Kiwigary - Round aylesbury walk - Off the Rails

Messe - Inside / Outside witney

Jodel - Wifi wander

Simply Paul - Eastern Weston

House Family - Eastern Weston

Da Rubber Chicken - Eastern Weston (Too many people wanting an FTF)

Cheers, Jill, Graham and Robert

Apart from at and around events, we've met three cachers that I can remember:

** Andy ** (Hidden Haven)

Cryptik Souls Crew (hoping to get an FTF on Zealous Scout, whose co-ords were located W when the cache was actually E)

Mark met Rodz when carrying out a maintenance visit on one of our caches

Jenny

I have met Dudley boy twice and Billy twigger ( great to hear he is improving and thanks for the updates ).But its strange how that with out meeting ,Some cachers stick in your mind, we look forward to meeting all cachers but for some reason these especaily stick out Dignut, lathama, rosies rangers, izzy and the lizzard king,the buckets, Fun loving geocacher, Modge-uk, Snerdbe, Lollybob, cheeky girls. I think its a familiarity think as i keep seeing ther names in cache log books normally as FTF before i have got there :rolleyes:

As i said i look forward to seeing all cachers, so next year may be a event or two.

HODGE

Edited by Family Hodge

Da Be Em (all three)

Xcavate

Sandstorm

Gary and Jane

Bertrand and his Tribunal

Paul Gotlg

Pause for Thought

Nobby Nobbs

The Bramblers

Sailor M

Dorsetgal & Geodog

les bois de les forges

Spinky Boy

And a couple of nameless young men who didn't log their find.

Edited by t.a.folk