No Pencil/pen ...how To Log?

Kitch

Did you know that you could write on a piece of paper with a travel bug tag....the metal leaves a pencil like line when using the edge of the tag to write with.

any other ideas on how to log without your pencil/pen because you left it in the car and not one in the cache???

My Mom and I recently employed the dirty-stick manuever when I forgot the pen in the car. She did a great job considering the tools - we still took a digital photo with the cache container as extra proof of our visit.

She was also smart enough to have brought along one of her signature sticker-label to put in the logbook. Now that I think about it, she spotted the cache, too. Outsmarted me on all counts :lol:

Cache pages signed by a bunch of cut up bloody cachers... Yummy....

We went to check on a cache after the fires here in CA, the only thing in the ammo can that survived was the log book, barely charred.... We used a burnt stick, as there were PLENTY of them around. :lol:

Ohgr

I've used the lit end of a cigar

I'm picturing a guy wearing a nice smoking jacket while finding a 5/5 cache. :lol:

Yea, that's pretty much what Brian looks like when he caches. How did you know?

The squid! Don't forget the squid!

ObTopic: Also I carry extra pens and pencils with me so I can replace the missing ones.

I haven't used it while caching, but a .44 slug will work. It can be a bit light, but it gets the job done. :o How'd the cigar work out? Must be a bummer on small log books....

Divine, does that mean that you regularly carry squid with you when you cache? Man, I thought that I took the marine bio thing to extremes. :lol:

Divine, does that mean that you regularly carry squid with you when you cache? Man, I thought that I took the marine bio thing to extremes. :lol:

LOL, no, I was referring to how briansnat must look like when he's caching. He once posted a picture of himself choking on a squid. Couldn't find the picture anywhere now, but believe me, it ain't a pretty sight. :o

Well, a squid could be handy when there's no pen(cil) in the cache anyway. :D

The first cache that I found did not have a pen or pencil. I did not have one with me either. I did have my digital camera and my wife took a picture in front of the cache location. I logged it as a find anyway (with the picture posted). To me a picture is as good as a log book entry.

Edited by Texasair

Normally I carry a pen for logging, as well as a cache repair kit, but sometimes pens get borrowed from my cache gear and sometimes I'll skip carrying the cache repair kit (as when the cache is brand new, or when recent find logs state that the cache is in good shape). In circumstances where I've been caught at the cache location with no pen in my pocket and none in the cache, our letterboxing stamps come in very handy. The stamps and stamp pad never leave my cache gear because they have no other use. Anyone geocaching in Western Pennsylvania knows that if there is a green shamrock or a green elf stamped in a logbook, then The Leprechauns visited the cache.

Um ... I'm relatively new at this ... so forgive the ignorant response ... But when I forgot to carry a pencil to a micro cache, I simply took another walk to the cache the next day (remembering the pencil) and signed it. What's wrong with that??

Nothing, but if the cache is a 4-5 mile hike, or 4 star terrain, then it might not be so easy.

OL, no, I was referring to how briansnat must look like when he's caching. He once posted a picture of himself choking on a squid. Couldn't find the picture anywhere now, but believe me, it ain't a pretty sight.

Yeah, squid does have its own ink :lol:

23324_3700.jpg

Edited by briansnat

OK people, new geocaching guideline!!! No signing the log with bodily fluids and this includes earwax!! Ewww! Bring a pen, bring a pencil, bring a wooden match, chalk, a crayon, a sharpie, anything but that please and thank you.

Edited by Planet
We use blood here in Detroit :D

hay UMC reminde me to stay away from your caches

oh wait cibpo

cache in body parts out

Did that one already Team Lyon. Removed a dead deer carcass from one parking spot and removed the legs and hide and scrapmeat from an elk at another handicap parking spot for a cache on the next day. Called the game dept. to get permission first as I had unfilled hunting tags and didn't want to be cited for poaching.

CITO

CIBO

I normally keep a few pens in my camera bag that I (almost) always take along for the find. One time I forgot the bag on a night find on a cache run. I don't read the descriptions on most of the caches on these cache runs, so I get surprised from time to time. This cache had a logbook in a bag and no pen or pencil in the bag. Fortunately it was a themed cache even though I could not trade, I could sign the log.

WHY?

There were about 50 pens and just as many pencils in the cache! The only think in the cache that couldn't be used as a writing utensil was the logbook and bag.

I'm wondering why this topic continues to come up.

You should always have a pen and/or pencil with you.

The only time we didn't have either with us was our very first letterbox. We were out and just seeing what it was all about. We found the box, read the log, but couldn't stamp in because was didn't have anything with us. Since then, we've forgotten the logbook, stamp, trades, but two things we've never been without is the GPS and a way to sign the log.

I guess a lot of folks do a lot lighter version of caching than we do.

It happened to me just the other day.

I had to drive to Nashville to visit Estes Kefauver. Delays caused me to blow off an errand that I had intended to run before the meeting. This resulted in my being 35 minutes early to the meeting.

I had my camera, pda, and GPSr in the jeep, so I decided to go take a few photos for the Ritz contest and find a nearby micro. Since parking places are tough to find during the day, I left the jeep in the parking spot near the federal building and walked. After all, it was only a mile or so.

I had taken my first photo and was walking to the cache location when I realized that I had neglected to grab a pen. I figured that I would have to do the dirty-stick trick as there were no stores on the way.

Imagine my surprise when I found a shattered pen at the cache location. It was the first time that I was thankful for Nashville's general filthiness.