SCREEN NAME IS MORE THAN AN ALIAS

We got our name because we are the only ones in our family that are willing to climb on things to get the cache. My sister and niece stood at the bottom of the hill, while my son and I climbed it to get the cache, and my niece cheered us on by yelling GO SPYDERMUNKEES GO..of course I was laughing so hard that I fell down the hill..but I did get the cache first. So we decided to stick with the name, it works for us. :)

(wow, cool string!)

Our family name (from my husband) is Arabic "Azami" , there is also a Japanese word "azami" meaning "thistle", so I have been using this cross-language pun for various things. My 5 year old partner loves to race and loves race cars, so I came up with ThistleRacers for caching.

When I was in college, I had a work assignment in a Business English class stolen and submitted by someone else as their own work. I was able to demonstrate that the original was mine and received credit, but thereafter and for the duration of my bachelor's studies, I used the company name Zurfco to demonstrate that the work was mine. It is an obvious bastardization of my last name. Because for us geocaching is a family activity, i.e., a group activity, I resurrected the ficticious company name.

My dog, silk, was my first dog ever. i had been working to get him for years (my parents were against it but after extensive research they finally gave in) and so i needed a new email at the time as well so i chose silksmybaby. since then we have gotten another dog but silksmybaby is still my name for every email, every login, and even though silk doesnt often go geocaching with me, this is his was of staying with me! :blink:

My nickname and my drug of choice lol.

Darn... I coulda been "BruceHeroin."

Actually, with your avatar, and your location, you could have been "Bruceki"

I was trying to create an account for my kids. The username they use for letterboxing is taken, and I pluralized it. Then they chose other names for themselves, and I'm too lazy to think of another name and go through account creation all over again. Anyway, I love to photograph butterflies.

Edited by Chrysalides

My nickname and my drug of choice lol.

Darn... I coulda been "BruceHeroin."

Actually, with your avatar, and your location, you could have been "Bruceki"

Already my nickname among friends unfortunately. (not only because of avatar and location. I am also part Russian and part Ukrainian)

I had no idea what your name meant until someone mentioned it and I looked it up. Kinda cool. I may read further.

Edited by brslk

I traded a Bob Marley tee shirt several years ago to a guy I met going by the name of Biscuit (pretty certain that wasn't the name on his birth certificate) for a guitar that he purchased for 5$ at a yard sale. The tee shirt was pretty awesome, but I have to guess, the guitar surely has lasted longer than that ole shirt!

I also use this name for my music.

~ 5$

Edited by FiveDollarGuitar

Mine's a combo of my first name and the initial of my last name. In the office I used to work there were two Mikes. We also knew a few other Mikes from other offices and when were we all together in the pubs or at work people just started calling us by our first name and last name initinal to avoid confusion.

Here's to all you Mike's out there. World domination will soon be ours.

As for my avatar, that's a pic of my Newfie.

MikeyG.

My name comes from how I first heard about geocaching! I was in the middle of my Bachelor of Education degree when a classmate did a presentation on how geocaching would be a great way to get kids outside and engaged in their environment. Since I was working on my degree at the Junior/Intermediate level, and it came from a school project, I assumed the handle of J/I Project :)

Mine's a combo of my first name and the initial of my last name. In the office I used to work there were two Mikes. We also knew a few other Mikes from other offices and when were we all together in the pubs or at work people just started calling us by our first name and last name initinal to avoid confusion.

Here's to all you Mike's out there. World domination will soon be ours.

As for my avatar, that's a pic of my Newfie.

MikeyG.

Mike here too. Named my son Michael. My number 1 grandson is also a Michael, and my brand spanking new number 2 grandson is also a Michael. Mike's rule!

As I explain it on my profile page, I love TV and movies and I grew up in the 70's and 80's so when I first set up my account with Geocaching.com I was looking around the room trying to find a "cool" username and I saw my DVD set of "The Fall Guy" TV show from the early 80's and there you go. It is interesting to know how people get their sceen names. :)

Mine is pretty boring, and obvious :( I loved Pokémon when I was younger (when it first came out), and was obsessed with Mew. Well being also slightly addicted to the internet I decided that a 'Cybermew' was an internet/digital/machine type Mew.... Well the stories and adventures of the Mew clan (something completely fabricated in my mind) came to be..... wow, thinking about it makes me, well, kinda sad for my younger self!! lol!

Although I could have had the name Cybermew on the internet at that time, and even here, when I was younger I also, for some reason, thought that the '3' made the name roll off the tongue better. So there you go, Cybermew3 ;)

Maybe all this is what I get for being Australian!

Mine started with my other hobby Georging which is tracking money through the website www.wheresgeorge.com which I started before coming here. Think of it as making geocoins for free. :D

When I first started I had not seen all the Georgers had cool names so I was just Clifford. *Yawn*

But soon after starting I got to attend a gathering. The Georger meet and greets and met all the guys with cool names so I got up and told them I did not want to be boring anymore. So I started to run ideas by them.

Cliff's Notes was what we settled on and this works in both hobbies

With my Georging the paper money is often referred to as "Notes"

When I go out caching I always bring along my journal to keep track of my activities, and I always try to leave more of a message than TFTC in the online logs so it works for my notes in this game as well.

And anyone who needed help with Shakespeare or War & Peace knows it also kind of sounds like a yellow and black study aid as well.

fun topic, cant believe i read the whole thing today..

mine was from long ago when i got an AOL account back in 1998? 97? i wanted one that anyone from Hawaii would recognize but i was having a hard time. everything i tried was taken. last one i tried was howzit, which is kind of a Hawaiian slang for hello. It was taken so i just added some random numbers to it and it finally wasnt used!! problem was the numbers I chose were Howzit666 lol . when i used the name, everyone thought i was into devil worshiping, so i dropped the 666 and added "boy", making howzitboy. works great cuz any website i try that name is never taken!!

I was trying to come up with a name that summarized ALL of my hobbies, lol. Originally, I had something like "geobirdmtnbiker" to include caching, birding, and mountain biking, but it seemed too long and I wanted to simplify it. I figured since I'm always birding when I'm out trekking through the outdoors while caching or biking, and since the brand of bike I ride is a Trek, I'd just combine them into my current "BirdTrekker." I also have 4 fids (feathered kids/parrots) so I thought it included them nicely too. :) I put a picture of one of my fids on my profile page. Eventually, I'd like to create some kind of signature item that includes an image of a parrot on a bike holding a GPS, lol. I just need to figure out how to do that, lol. :D

My original name was a spur of the moment thing based upon a very old nickname. I never really liked it much, because people always added an interpretation or connotation to it that it shouldn't have. It took a while, but I finally settled on this one. Immediately after I changed, my wife looked at it and wondered, "Why are you peein' pure, and what exactly would that be anyway?" Oh, well!

My name has a few meanings. 'The Zodiac,' as you may recall, was a famous and elusive Bay Area killer who used the crosshairs symbol as his calling card. He would include this symbol in coded ciphers to the police and area media outlets. To this day, he has not been caught, however, police believe that the best suspect in the case passed away in the mid-1990s.

Between the coded ciphers, the crosshairs symbol (which could be used for X marks the spot) and the stealth he used to commit his crimes in public and get away with it, it was the perfect choice for an alias as all of these elements are included in Geocaching. Minus the criminal acts, of course...

When we considered geocaching I wanted to have a moniker we could use that worked for us as a couple. I threw out some ideas to my husband and he wasn't "wowed" by any of them. The area of town we live in is Grasmere so I thought "Grasmere Duo" would be appropriate. He was okay with that. I made sure the first cache we attempted was in Grasmere and our avatar is the old former Grasmere town hall. Not exciting but certainly descriptive for the local cachers.

I spent a bit of time trying to come up with various handles related to kayaking, racing, caching etc....I then just fell back to my good old name with a "!" Why because once I took into account that I would be signing numerous logs from nano to log books size Russ! is easier then the "Kayaker Enthusiast from Stockton California." For me size matters. :) One of my caching peeves is long named people taking numerous spots to sign their name.

Edited by Russ!

My name comes from 2004 when I was at a giant party with tons of people. all of a sudden this random stranger started screaming "Kattjävel!" which is a swedish single world for dadgum Cat. This strangers kept shouting it until I looked, she then happily pointed at me and with a smile said it again.

Somehow this appeared to catch on and the next week in school another stranger walks up to me and says "Hey, you're Kattjävel, right?"

A few years later I was asked by an american what Kattjävel means, and I told her.

Nowadays I use ThatDamnCat as a labels for my designs and have a small company called "ThatDamnCat Designs".

And I use it for geocaching.

ThatDamnCat is me, simply.

Edited by ThatDamnCat

Mine is my online name for pretty much everything. I came up with it when I was looking for a character name for an RP mush (anyone remember those?). The character never took off, but I liked it and it's usually not taken, so I kept it.

Depending on the group I'm out with, we're either Loki's Girls (me and SAzrael, with BenBen S. as Lord Chaos) or Chaos Inc. (all of the above, plus Swordsage). The first because, well, we're Lokians, the second because everything is chaos around the larger group. :)

Many years ago I was being towed across a river in my old dodge by a friends 4x4 on our way to camp. The front of the car went completly underwater and the headlights reminded me of the submarine lights in the Disney movie 20 thousand leagues under the sea and since I was the capt. of my car I became Captain Nemo.

When I started caching I just kept the name.

While I was working in Alaska for the Forest Service, my husband had some female roomates during the summer months to help pay the bills. His screen name was "safechris" because he was committed to me and was basically a "safe" friend. When I got back from Alaska, I wasn't that creative for an email identity, so I just borrowed his and added my name. Pretty boring, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I had a dream when I was a kid, that I was a fireman (firewoman ;)) on Jupiter.

Fireman + astronaut = firestronaut.

Put out space fires!

:blink:

No-one can hear you mayday in space.

My name is Kyle Yankanich. Back in AOL 1.0 days, they only allowed 10 characters. KyleYankan/ich. I'm creative.

A lot of people think my name means I'm from Ohio, and named Melli. (I AM named Melli... but I'm not from Ohio. Only visited there once!) But the fact is that Melli was taken, and I frequently say to myself "oooohhhhhh Melli" when things are not going quite right. Or "OH Melli!" when things are going great! At the time that I was signing up and "Melli" was already taken, it was the first ooooohhhhh that brought my name to be what it is! :P

Mine is my online name for pretty much everything. I came up with it when I was looking for a character name for an RP mush (anyone remember those?). The character never took off, but I liked it and it's usually not taken, so I kept it.

Depending on the group I'm out with, we're either Loki's Girls (me and SAzrael, with BenBen S. as Lord Chaos) or Chaos Inc. (all of the above, plus Swordsage). The first because, well, we're Lokians, the second because everything is chaos around the larger group. :)

Heh. Oops... scratch that. :P Just changed my name, but it doesn't seem to have taken effect in the forums.

Edited by kitrona

my user name came back when i was about 5. my father had a cb in upstate ney york and his handle was buckshot. they called me buckshot jr. after he got out of the radio i dropprd the jr. part and just went by buckshot.when i finally upgraded to a computer and got my yahoo email i tried for buckshot but ended up being buckshot5025 now i use it as my hunting i.d. tag while out hunting on club land and as a calling card i made a while back to give people. it just works for me.

Bak in 1984, I was deep in the forests of Northern Canada when I got off course and was lost for weeks. I was forced to live of the land, capturing wild rabits and deer with snares, building dew traps to catch water each morning as the sun broke through the trees, a rebirth of myself and the land. I abandoned my need for possesions, for reliance on others for shelter, for food. I was responsible for mylself, I was in charge of my destiny.

After months of living like a wild man, a falcon came to me, and told me how to leave the forest. It was revelaed to me that the falcon was my spirt animal, and has guided me in life ever since.

=====

It is the tale, not he who tells it."

That's some deep stuff!

Edited by ExhaustScum

I've used theosus since I played dungeons and dragons in junior high in the 80s. It was a character name...I don't run into another theosus very often online. There have only been a couple of occasions where I tried to join a forum or web site, that my name has been taken. So I stick with it.

I go by Magnus McPhee as McPhee reservoir is the second largest body of water in Colorado (not now with the drought). :blink: That is where I love to fish and live ten miles away. But I name my caches as Cowboy's XXX cache as Cowboy is the alias of our 11 year old Grandson who lives in CT. He visits in the summer for a month. He love geocaching. Here he can ride horses, shoot guns, hike the forest, fish, build things, and tons of other things he doesn't do in the city. But year after year his favorite thing to do is geocaching....both finding, and building new ones. Horseluvr is my wife and fellow geocacher. We love the game.

Mine is from school.

When I was a teenager (about 14) was very much into heavy rock grunge etc, always wore black hoodies over my uniform.

Well one Christmas my friends had cans of the spray on glitter and were spraying everything including me. I got annoyed pulled a finger at them and they then sprayed that. I became sparklefinger to my friends ever since. Then I added an s to the end about 6 years ago.

Most of the time anything that is sparklefinger or sparklefingers is usually me, though there are a couple of places that that is not the case but not many.

Like all guys I talked about doing great things but really had no intention of doing them. We did a bit of backpacking and I talked about doing the Appalachian Trail (AT). My wife is more proactive and she ordered all the maps and books and started planning a thru hike. So we decided to thru hike in 1999 and headed to Georgia in March.

All thru hikers have trail names. Many hikers like to wait till they get on the trail for soomeone to give them a name. You could end up with a name based on an incident and end up with names like BOOGER, or Stitches or magellan, or slipper or nerd, etc.

We decided to give ourselves a name in order to avoid getting something obnoxious. So we had a brain wave and created a name based on our real names. We became MA & PA based on MArielle and PAul. When we got off the trail, some of our friends would call us by our trail names. When we started caching MA & PA was still available, although there were other variations that had been taken. In all geocaching circles and at all caching events, we are always addressed by our caching names and we are very confortable with them.

Edited by Ma & Pa

Mine started out as a nickname at school after an incident with me being covered in spray glitter at Christmas.

The people that thought it would be funny to spray my with glitter ended up with me showing one of my fingers to them and I ended up being called sparklefinger. <_< it's stuck but I have since changed it to sparklefingers