Mcdonalds Micro Series

You would need to figure out a way to coordinate this series without ever mentioning the name "McDonalds," or promoting the restaurant chain in any way in the listing text. That could be an uphill battle.

Please consult the listing guidelines for placing a cache, and specifically the section titled 'Solicitation and Commercial Content', found here: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307#commercial

You would need to figure out a way to coordinate this series without ever mentioning the name "McDonalds," or promoting the restaurant chain in any way in the listing text. That could be an uphill battle.

Please consult the listing guidelines for placing a cache, and specifically the section titled 'Solicitation and Commercial Content', found here: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307#commercial

This.

And no.

Some will say yes, but we're all entitled to our bad tastes and wrong opinions now aren't we?

But seriously, no.

I can see three different things that will be objected to by different people:

1. McDonalds: Guidelines aside, why pick the epitome of consumeristic obesity? C'mon, it's just gross.
  2. Micro: Why limit it to Micros? Some people actually like to find stuff (McToys?) in their caches.
  3. Series: I'm all for a good series, based on an interesting theme, but a series just because there's enough guardrails/lampposts/fast-food-joints? Ack...

Each of these words, alone, has caused angst in the forums, to see all three put together in one sentence?

Hi. I appreciate your desire to hide caches. It can be fun to receive logs for one you have hidden yourself and it is one way to give back to the game for all the fun you are having. However, one of the great things about this hobby is being brought to cool places that you have never been. Places that you normally wouldn't find without someone placing a geocache there. If you try to make your caches with that thought in mind when you hide a cache those who find it will have a better time and will remember your caches as high points in there caching adventures. Micky D's are everywhere. There really isn't anything special about them. People will only remember them as "that McDonald's series." Besides, there are already plenty of unremarkable caches at fast food joints. Try to think of something more interesting. If you do your finders will reward you with better than average logs.

Have fun and keep thinking up ideas. You'll come up with a winner. :)

Is A Mcdonalds Micro Series A Good Idea?

No, it's a crappy idea. Ugh. :mad:

I was thinking of making a mcdonalds micro series that people could add to, there are thousands of mcdonalds in the world so we could have a big series. What do you think?

Postells

Ugh, even worse idea...encouraging more people to put even more crappy cache placements at all the crappiest "restaurants" in the world. :angry:

Just because there are "thousands" of the same thing over and over again, none of them unique, is another reason it's a bad idea. You see one of those, you've seen them all.

Parking lot micros...seriously, there are plenty of those everywhere already.

I think you might want to look up this chain over at the Waymarking site. :rolleyes:

Edited by Pup Patrol

Sometimes I look at cache listing and think to myself "Really?". I think that people sometimes get so caught up in wanting to put out a bunch of hides that they fail to ask themselves if it's a cache that they'd like to find themselves or spend their own time looking for. If the answer is no, then why would you want to send others out to do that. Personally I can't think of any good reason why I would waste any time at all looking for a bison tube at a McDonalds let alone multiple McDonalds, even if I were there getting lunch anyway. Is there really no place more interesting in or around where you live to do a cache?

If you want to see what kind of caches can be found out there, do some hunting for caches that aren't drive-bys, that require some walking and investment of your time to find. Search out caches that take you to wonderful locations, with scenic views or places of historical interest.

Once you've found caches that take more than 5 minutes of your time, then maybe you will have an inspiration for cache placements that people will appreciate for more than just to increase their find counts.

Try searching for some puzzle caches and multi-caches. Then you will see that some cache owners invest time and effort and thought into placing caches.

+2 to Too Tall John (lots of "two's") :rolleyes:

Wanting to add that it's a pretty good bet that McD Corp. probably will not give permission -- as it creates more liability for them (is the way they see it, not necessarily you). Sure, a franchise owner may go along with it, but in the end, it is the corporation that has the final say. If something could affect their getting another 4¢ or so, you can bet they won't go along with it.

All-in-all, I think it is in bad taste (pun intended -- without the calories).

McDonalds has over 32000 locations worldwide according to their website.

Of these only 2000 locations have been listed on the Waymarking.com site. A quick look at the visited dates for the waymarks show that approximately half of the restaurants have never been visited as a waymark. A large majority of the sites visited have dates from 2007, 2008 as their last visit.

I would seem to indicate to me that the people who geocache/waymark are not particularly interested in visiting McDonalds as part of the game.

So in addition to all the previous post saying no I would think that this analysis would support the theory that it isn't a stellar idea. However there are many people that will find a cache regardless of the quality of the hide.

As a personal note just yesterday I was meeting a cacher that I had only talked to online. We decided to grab a cache together and had a choice of a very close one in a McDonalds parking lot and one further away in another business parking lot. We both decided that we didn't want to do the McDonalds cache.

Hi Postells!

(Disclaimer: This response is the result of my highly biased caching aesthetic. AKA: My opinion. Nothing more)

When I hide a cache, part of the process is bringing folks to a neat area and giving them a unique experience.

When I was perusing the latest version of the guidelines, I came across this quote by Uber-Cacher Briansnat:

"When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot.

If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot."

How kewl is that?

In light of that quote, and my individual bias, why in Gaia's name would you want to bring me to a crappy fast food joint?

Postells,

Welcome to these forums. :) From your profile finds, like us, you appear to be in the UK. There's a lot of good advice and (mainly) good humour to be found on these various forums and I don't like to be so negative in my reply to your very first post... but... I've got to agree with what they ^ have all said so far.

Do a few more caches, get more inspiration and then try and create a cache that is interesting and original, one that cachers will remember for more than 3 minutes.

Also, for us, one good cache is better than 20 indifferent ones in "a series".

MrsB :)

I was thinking of making a mcdonalds micro series that people could add to, there are thousands of mcdonalds in the world so we could have a big series. What do you think?

Postells

There's a certain kind of ice machine with a penguin logo on it, and a bunch of those had a color-matching magnetic nano cache. Not much trouble to hide, simple to find and put back without being too suspicious. If you have a very creative idea that works, maybe it would be OK -- I wouldn't discourage a fun and original style that the reviewers approve. Be sure you've thoroughly read and understand the guidelines, which help keep the game safe & fun for hiders, finders, and even non-cachers.

Think of what you'd enjoy finding, and do a hide that you think people will like, and that you don't mind checking on (maintaining). Some people love park & grab Micros. I have terrible timing when trying to hunt while nobody's watching, I draw suspicion in a parking lot looking for one, and so I often avoid that kind.

Edited by kunarion
If these proposed 'caches' were in my area, I would find them just to get them off the map.

I would thank you (perhaps a bit facetiously) for the smilie, and move on.

Same here. I don't have anything against McDonalds or McDonalds food, but a McDonalds cache doesn't seem particularly interesting. If they were in my area I'd find them anyways just for another smilie.

You would want to take Keystone's advice about the GS commercial guidelines. But, if the caches are approvable by a GS reviewer, I don't have a problem with the listings residing on this site. I can't judge whether or not it is a good idea. If the caches are not GS approved, you'd have to list them on an alternate site. I suppose you could also create your own listing site...and I guess you could even hide them without any listing and just email the coords to whomever you choose.

Personally I can't think of any good reason why I would waste any time at all looking for a bison tube at a McDonalds let alone multiple McDonalds, even if I were there getting lunch anyway. Is there really no place more interesting in or around where you live to do a cache?

While you (and many others) may find the location uninteresting, clearly there are cachers (like the OP) who think that McDonald's restaurants are a pretty cool place for a cache.

As long as I have been cachings (since February 2003), I have seen people hiding caches at the favorite fast food restaurants. I recall an early cacher putting micros at every Del Taco in the area. Another team hid caches at In 'n Out Burgers (a local chain but one that has become somewhat know outside the area). Another cacher worked for Trader Joe's (a local market that has in recent years expanded to all over the US). He hid caches at all the local Trader Joe's. And while we don't have any Cracker Barrel restaurants in California, I still knew about the Off Your Rocker series of geocaches.

It seems to me that the ideas of hiding a series of caches at the locations of a particular restaurant or other business is pretty common and often these caches are enjoyed by others.

I might have concerns when a new cachers starts creating such a series, but it wouldn't be because the location is not intereating.

Of these only 2000 locations have been listed on the Waymarking.com site. A quick look at the visited dates for the waymarks show that approximately half of the restaurants have never been visited as a waymark. A large majority of the sites visited have dates from 2007, 2008 as their last visit.

I would seem to indicate to me that the people who geocache/waymark are not particularly interested in visiting McDonalds as part of the game.

I wouldn't use Waymarking statistics as an indication of anything. People look for caches in order to find a cache. If the cache is in a interesting location, that is a bonus. The Waymarking categories simply demonstrate the range of locations that different people find interesting. While historic markers may appear to be more interesting than McDonald's restaurants based on the numbers of waymarks and the numbers of visits, I would contend that it simply indicates there is a group that likes historic markers and a group that likes McDonald's restaurants. The Best Kept Secrets category is one that I personally believe has the most interesting places. Yet this category has relatively few waymarks and visits. Does this mean that McDonald's restaurants are more interesting than Best Kept Secrets? :mmraspberry:

Edited by tozainamboku

Personally I can't think of any good reason why I would waste any time at all looking for a bison tube at a McDonalds let alone multiple McDonalds, even if I were there getting lunch anyway. Is there really no place more interesting in or around where you live to do a cache?

While you (and many others) may find the location uninteresting, clearly there are cachers (like the OP) who think that McDonald's restaurants are a pretty cool place for a cache.

As long as I have been cachings (since February 2003), I have seen people hiding caches at the favorite fast food restaurants. I recall an early cacher putting micros at every Del Taco in the area. Another team hid caches at In 'n Out Burgers (a local chain but one that has become somewhat know outside the area). Another cacher worked for Trader Joe's (a local market that has in recent years expanded to all over the US). He hid caches at all the local Trader Joe's. And while we don't have any Cracker Barrel restaurants in California, I still knew about the Off Your Rocker series of geocaches.

It seems to me that the ideas of hiding a series of caches at the locations of a particular restaurant or other business is pretty common and often these caches are enjoyed by others.

I might have concerns when a new cachers starts creating such a series, but it wouldn't be because the location is not intereating.

I wouldn't use Waymarking statistics as an indication of anything. People look for caches in order to find a cache. If the cache is in a interesting location, that is a bonus. The Waymarking categories simply demonstrate the range of locations that different people find interesting. While historic markers may appear to be more interesting than McDonald's restaurants based on the numbers of waymarks and the numbers of visits, I would contend that it simply indicates there is a group that likes historic markers and a group that likes McDonald's restaurants. The Best Kept Secrets category is one that I personally believe has the most interesting places. Yet this category has relatively few waymarks and visits. Does this mean that McDonald's restaurants are more interesting than Best Kept Secrets? :mmraspberry:

Nope. Just more ubiquitous.

Your tiered argument aside, is there any reason why, when the OP asked for our opinions, we should not encourage him to do better? It isn't like we told him he couldn't do it his way.

......Only if I get fries with it...Welcome to geocaching and the forums. The first thing to know about caching is that all cachers never agree on anything...Like other things we all have, we all have our own opinions...some are rosey pink, some stink!...and there are those that try to stick theirs in your face....I think most will agree, not all of course, that they are pleased that you put your idea forward and asked for opinions. My advice to newer cachers is that they don't think about placing series, puzzles, multis or other complicated types of caches at first. Rather observe others cache placements and learn what you like about them...At first all caches are cool...most folks think that Lamp post skirt liffers (LPC) are cool the first time, but by the 10th they are not, they are predictible. The caches that most people enjoy are those that surprise them, that are unique...therein lays creativity. So if you want to place a cache that you will enjoy and others will remember..be creative. Think of a neat place to vist, a good or unique container, and a good way to hide it. No need to make your first caches overly hard or overly easy. Keep thinking and continue to share your your ideas.

Good Luck!

Wiseye

A geocache should give you more than a location where you can find a McDonalds. I've seen many caches at McDonalds, but the interesting caches I visited at McDonalds you can count on one finger. For me, this is definetly a NO.

Try to find interesting locations. This is not based upon the hame of a fastfood restaurant..

OK, I edited my first post. I realize (and did at the time) the OP is probably an enthusiastic Youngster new to Geocaching. Just trying to be funny here. My first post originally said "Worst idea in the history of mankind". That was uncalled for, and unfair. When it's blatantly obvious the worst idea in the history of mankind was Porky's II. :blink:

A series of micros at a fast food chain? Not very original, been done many times. You would have to be careful, of course, of not making it commercial, as posted by the prominent reviewer Keystone. Then there's always the dirty little secret that most caches at such locations do not have permission of the landowner. Sign me up for the ammo box next to Waterfalls series. :)

Maybe I'm one of the few, but I think it's a fine idea. We consider it a bonus if we're out and the place we happen to stop for the kids to play or have dinner has a cache nearby. This has happened a couple times and it was fun.

The only issues I can see is getting permission, and of course, that you can't put McDonalds in the cache pages.

The only objection I would have is if there is a park or more interesting location nearby that was less than 0.1 miles away and then nobody could place a cache there because of proximity.

I would suggest finding at least 20 caches before hiding any.

http://coord.info/GC12J5T

I drive by this one at least 3 times a week and have been happily ignoring it since it was published 4 years ago

An amusing side note. The daughter was on an all-star cheerleading team for about 2 years. They practiced at a Gymnastics place in a strip plaza. In said strip plaza was a parking lot micro. This was in Lockport, since the guy I'm quoting is local to me. I was probably in that parking lot 150 times over a 2 year period (often with time to kill), and I never once looked for that cache. For all I know, I parked right next to it dozens of times.

These are just the musings of someone from the radical fringe element who actually uses the ignore list. Carry on with the Micky D's conversation. :anibad:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I browsed through your cache finds and noticed that all 8 of your finds are in Skegness, UK and they account for every cache in the entire city. I then did a bit of googling to see what's in and around your area. Looks to me as if there are many points of interest around your area without a cache close by. I noticed several parks in the area, Gibralter Point looks like a fabulous spot for a series of caches, and those windmills in the sea are just begging for a boating cache. I'm halfway across the world and if I can find several potential locations in 10 minutes online,I'm confidant that you can find some quality locations there as well. Good luck with your hides, just remember to ask yourself if the hide is something you'd want to find yourself.

Hi. I appreciate your desire to hide caches. It can be fun to receive logs for one you have hidden yourself and it is one way to give back to the game for all the fun you are having. However, one of the great things about this hobby is being brought to cool places that you have never been. Places that you normally wouldn't find without someone placing a geocache there. If you try to make your caches with that thought in mind when you hide a cache those who find it will have a better time and will remember your caches as high points in there caching adventures. Micky D's are everywhere. There really isn't anything special about them. People will only remember them as "that McDonald's series." Besides, there are already plenty of unremarkable caches at fast food joints. Try to think of something more interesting. If you do your finders will reward you with better than average logs.

Have fun and keep thinking up ideas. You'll come up with a winner. :)

+1!!!!

I say go for it. I doubt anyone else will pick up the torch and run with it to make it into the worldwide series you might be envisioning, but having a bunch of caches at McDonald's wouldn't be any more lame than a lot of caches that are published daily on the site.

So are you saying that because there are crappy caches out there that it would be good to have more crappy caches?

So when are there already enough crappy caches and time to place good caches?

I can see three different things that will be objected to by different people:
  1. McDonalds: Guidelines aside, why pick the epitome of consumeristic obesity? C'mon, it's just gross.
  2. Micro: Why limit it to Micros? Some people actually like to find stuff (McToys?) in their caches.
  3. Series: I'm all for a good series, based on an interesting theme, but a series just because there's enough guardrails/lampposts/fast-food-joints? Ack...

Each of these words, alone, has caused angst in the forums, to see all three put together in one sentence?

Ok, so this thread has been going for a little bit, but in light of Coldgears' revelation that his recent FTF thread was started as a joke, I'm making what I was implying in red a little more clear:

Three Angsty Subjects, all rolled into one? C'mon, this has to be a joke, right? <_<

Anyone? :unsure:

Anyone? :huh:

Bueller? :blink:

http://coord.info/GC12J5T

I drive by this one at least 3 times a week and have been happily ignoring it since it was published 4 years ago

If you mix up the letters in "I Am Loving It" (the grammatical expansion of the current McSlogan), it spells "ailing vomit".

(Which is probably what many people think about this idea for a cache series. :omnomnom: )

edit: speeling

Edited by docsigma