Who Else Is Unlucky?

unluckygeocoin

They are basically a geocoin that is not sold and is gifted out or left in caches. Usually the creator of the coin remains anonymous. One thing you know is it’s a really great person that’s behind the coin!

Thanks for the explanation, really appreciate it! I was wondering as I'd seen them mentioned before. The geocoin community is indeed a great and generous bunch between stuff like this and cointest giveaways.

Wash the sharpie off of your socks and use those 2 button eyes to fasten your overcoat...cause it takes deternination to aquire any of those mystery coins!

They are hard to come by and Mystery droppers already have socks, so go back to your old account and come up with the best you can for the Great Geo-Pumpkin!...Its not too late!

You have to Believe! <_<

Though I've never received a mystery coin, I'm not totally coinvinced that I really WANT one... my better half, bless her poor unaddicted heart, has a hard time understanding GCAS (GeoCoinAddictionSyndrome). I knew someone once that found one of those mystery coins in his mailbox, and that started him on a whole new addiction: trying to figure out who sent him that coin. It's kinda like the pusher on the playground: "hey kiddo... wanna try something.... won't cost ya anything.... "

First it's the mystery coin...

Next thing you know you're introducing yourself to a bunch of regular folks sitting around in a circle nursing their coffee: "hi... um ... I'm Mark... and I'm a GeoCoinAholic ... too"

Yep, that's how I got started: brother-in-law GAVE me a birthday present: my first GeoCoin: an Antique Bronze American Caching One Cache Dollar coin.

So, I wouldn't fret about it not being fair...

PM me with your address and maybe, just maybe, if my coin ever gets done...

oh yeah, ya gotta keep chanting: "oh great pumpkin, I believe..."

When I first read the topic heading I actually thought..."Another mystery coin?" <_< ...Really though!

You should be the next Mystery coin dropper..."The Unlucky Geocoin...If your lucky enough"...maybe only present it to people who have not had the chance at a mystery coin would really top the cake!

Good Luck!...Have you washed your whites yet? :P

When I first read the topic heading I actually thought..."Another mystery coin?" <_< ...Really though!

You should be the next Mystery coin dropper..."The Unlucky Geocoin...If your lucky enough"...maybe only present it to people who have not had the chance at a mystery coin would really top the cake!

That's what I was thinking,.. maybe he's doing recon?.. :)

That's what I was thinking,.. maybe he's doing recon?.. :)

If They are doin recon...Id say Pghlooking has got one in the bag! :D ...In that case, Send me an email and Tell me what your after! :mad:

JK...Nice gesture pghlooking!

I keep reading about all of you people who are finding all of those mystery coins. Who besides me has never gotten one?

It helps to have been caching more than 1 day!! It took me 5 years before I found my first mystery coin in a cache and had to drive 175 miles one way to get it, in the rain on a motorcycle with gale force winds in my face both ways. <_<:P:)

So ... from the title of your topic, what exactly is it that you don't think is fair? I agree that there are a lot of good and generous folks in here and the mystery coins area good example. What's not fair about someone spending their own money and then distributing coins to folks in a manner of their choosing?

Not trying to pick an argument, just trying to better understand the OP.

Edited by ScoutingWV

SockPuppetCoin_pin.jpg

How can the givers know who is not getting one if you dont post your real name or location?

There are many different types of mystery coins. The fact remains, most of the people who do these are very generous by making a coin and placing them in caches for others to find. I know of people who have driven hundereds of miles just to pick up a mystery coin. Ask Damenace how many times he tried to get an Easter Bunny Coin!

Hopefully you will be lucky enough to find one soon.

There are many different types of mystery coins. The fact remains, most of the people who do these are very generous by making a coin and placing them in caches for others to find. I know of people who have driven hundereds of miles just to pick up a mystery coin. Ask Damenace how many times he tried to get an Easter Bunny Coin!

Is that 'common' for mystery coins... placing them in caches? And if so, is it something that the mystery coin dropper logs, like 'TN L: mystery coin'?

Just curious and wondering, as don't know how one would know to drive hundreds of miles for one. I imagine a crowd of cachers descending upon such a hide all at once :-)

Is that 'common' for mystery coins... placing them in caches? And if so, is it something that the mystery coin dropper logs, like 'TN L: mystery coin'?

Just curious and wondering, as don't know how one would know to drive hundreds of miles for one. I imagine a crowd of cachers descending upon such a hide all at once :-)

I think that most cachers, us included, keep an eye on the mystery coin person's profile page. Periodically look up their profile (everyday, every hour...ok maybe not that much) and look at the geocaches found. Have a watchlist of caches in your area, etc. All these things help when trying to find a mystery coin. <_<

I haven't got any mystery coins yet but I don't think there are a lot of mystery coins going around up here in Canada but then again I've only been geocaching for a few months.

While I would love to find a mystery coin someday, we are more than happy just to have found out about geocaching. It's been a wonderful thing for our family and I'm thinking maybe one day we will just have to come up with a mystery coin of our own. We love leaving special items in the caches we find for the next cachers or owners.

I definitely don't think I'm unlucky, even though I don't have any of the "mystery" geocoins (found in geocaches or mailed). I think it is a lot about who you know and being fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time, or as some say being ever vigilant and able to travel 100+ miles out of your way for one.

I do however have a few "mystery" geocachers who have sent me geocoins for no reaon <_<

rasj

tsunrisebey

Toojin & Bart

They are unknown to me in rl and therefore a mystery. I couldn't be happier and feel more blessed and lucky. I think it is all about how you think about things :P

These people in particular have taught me what it is all about: it is far better to give than to receive.

edited to add another name

Edited by TokyoBlossom

I haven't got any mystery coins yet but I don't think there are a lot of mystery coins going around up here in Canada but then again I've only been geocaching for a few months.

While I would love to find a mystery coin someday, we are more than happy just to have found out about geocaching. It's been a wonderful thing for our family and I'm thinking maybe one day we will just have to come up with a mystery coin of our own. We love leaving special items in the caches we find for the next cachers or owners.

not quite a mystery coin but fun! lucky canadians!

Well it is a mystery to me since I can't read French...

Well it is a mystery to me since I can't read French...

google translation tools decoder coin for the ZTélé Quebec geocaching games

I haven't received any mystery coins. And I have never found one in a cache. I feel unlucky about that just because I might never be able to hunt for one of those Secret Agents or Fairies because nobody puts them in caches here in Germany (or Europe) and I probably will never be able to cache overseas (and I guess it will be nearly impossible to find one during a two-week holiday trip) :P

But I enjoy a lot to read all the mystery coin stories here in the forum, and who knows, maybe some day a bug will come to me, too <_<

When I first read your thread I thought "sockpuppet" then I thought "oh another mystery coin".

Mystery coins are a lot of fun but they require a lot of work too (unless you just happen to stumble across one in a cache and then post here trying to figure out what it is). Many of us that have found one spend quite a lot of time on these forums, watching the "mystery thread" and posting to it. We check the mystery coin's GC profile frequently (for me, several times a day). When one comes up on a cache near us, we drop everything (and I mean everything) and rush out to get it. Sometimes we're the first there; other times we are not. But, the rush of adrenaline on the way to the cache is great.

Mystery coins are a lot of fun and I appreciate the generosity of the mystery givers!

...Anthus

When I first started looking at the forums a GeoCoin Secret Agent coin was dropped in our neighborhood, or at least not too far away. The only reason I knew anything about it was the topic popped up on the forums and I read it. The coin had been retrieved very quickly after being dropped. The GeoCoin Fairy has been to Virginia once, and I think that was before I started geocaching. She has not returned. GeoLeprechaun, found out AFTER the coins were picked up that he had been here (coincidence that he visited the same park as the the Fairy AND at least one of the same caches?). I did not know he existed! No bugs, bunnies or other mystical coin depositing critters.

I've never even seen one, but I haven't been doing much caching since my son was born.

This is completely off the topic, but after my son was born I sort of stopped doing pretty much everything. He's four now and goes caching with me, usually several times a week. He loves geocoins (we just bought him his first, the I Am The Walrus coin as he loves the Beatles and can't seem to stop singing the song) and after we got a geocoin as a FTF gift he's very into going for FTFs to try and get more FTF prize coins.

There's nothing better than caching with my son, and hopefully soon you'll be rambling on about how great it is to cache with your son too ;-)

Ask Damenace how many times he tried to get an Easter Bunny Coin!

Well third time was a charm (and of course one blown out tire from driving over a curb!!!)!!!

I shouldn't even post to this thread as I have been very fortunate and greatful to have received many of these mystery coins. Despite the need to liquidate coins, these mystery coins as well as many personals will never leave my hands.

I hope to someday be able to give back to the community by releasing a mystery coin of my own. Of course you won't know it is me when I do it :unsure: !

When I first read your thread I thought "sockpuppet" then I thought "oh another mystery coin".

Mystery coins are a lot of fun but they require a lot of work too (unless you just happen to stumble across one in a cache and then post here trying to figure out what it is). Many of us that have found one spend quite a lot of time on these forums, watching the "mystery thread" and posting to it. We check the mystery coin's GC profile frequently (for me, several times a day). When one comes up on a cache near us, we drop everything (and I mean everything) and rush out to get it. Sometimes we're the first there; other times we are not. But, the rush of adrenaline on the way to the cache is great.

Mystery coins are a lot of fun and I appreciate the generosity of the mystery givers!

...Anthus

Ok, the term "sockpuppet"? What does that mean? I guess if you don't know what it means you may be one? Has any Mystery Coin been placed in the Hampton Roads, VA area? I don't own any but I have heard of a few of them. Also, do people just drop them in a cache and not post it until it is found or is it common for someone to drop it and log it as dropping them into a cache and then people rush out to get it? Looks like it would be a nicer surprise to find it without knowing it was there at all? I've also heard about them being sent in the mail too, is that a common practice too?

...Anthus

Ok, the term "sockpuppet"? What does that mean? I guess if you don't know what it means you may be one? Has any Mystery Coin been placed in the Hampton Roads, VA area? I don't own any but I have heard of a few of them. Also, do people just drop them in a cache and not post it until it is found or is it common for someone to drop it and log it as dropping them into a cache and then people rush out to get it? Looks like it would be a nicer surprise to find it without knowing it was there at all? I've also heard about them being sent in the mail too, is that a common practice too?

A sockpuppet account is usually created to mask ones identity. Very difficult to get away with a sockpuppet account seeing the powers to be have the ability to compare IP addresses for each profile. GC.com frowns on sockpuppet accounts. They will usually delete the sockpuppet account and then suspend your original account. Not worth the hassle, you will get caught. Many people have committed geocide with sockpuppets accounts.

As for mystery coins, there are three ways that these coins get dispensed, 1) the creator drops the coins in caches 2) The creator mails coins to helpers for dispensing into caches 3)the creator mails coins for keeping.

Ok, the term "sockpuppet"? What does that mean?

From the Forum Guidelines:

Sock Puppet accounts will not be allowed. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts will be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.
Edited by Jackalgirl