Have you been caught out there after dark

GPS-Hermit

My first night caching trip started out by me showing up at a friends door after a long drive and them saying. "Cool! I've always wanted to do a night caching run!". I thought they were crazy. BUT we drove another hour to the cache location and by then it was dark.

Now I carry a flashlight in my cache kit. I did find one cache by tripping over the rock it was under while my flashlight enabled friend was running all over the place looking.

mmmmmm, just stop and listen. What was that noise, is it getting closer? The mind wanders in the darkness, evil lurks around every tree waiting to jump out and..........

I've got a night cache out there and I by no means am a sissy. I walked in checking the stages without any light until I got close to the stages. I know the area very well and have traveled through so many times I can't count but let the darkness take over and it opens a new world. The heart races, you hear things that are not there, deer jump up and run right by you......you tend to take the lords name in vain and ask for some divine guidance to get you out.

Plan accordingly for those late runs or plan on adding some extra time to your adventure.

I often cache after dark on purpose. Fewer muggles at the cache site, fewer muggles in my way while driving to the cache area. I often zoom out for a FTF late at night when a new cache gets published. It's not the same as daytime caching. I like it. I've cached at night out by the river, up in the foothills, wherever. The world is definitely a very different place at night. For instance, it's much harder to spot the poison oak - especially in the winter when the leaves are gone. :)

I use a 1W single-LED flashlight. It's nice and bright. I don't like the multi-LED lights much. I do have a multi-LED headlamp I won in a raffle at an event. It works pretty well and leaves my hands free.

I prefer night caching in safe urban areas (college campuses are great!) because there are fewer muggles around to interfere. Not so much so in woodsy or bushy areas (a poke in the eye from a sharp stick really hurts).

I keep a 3-AAA LED flashlight and spare batteries in my pack at all times, and I have a larger flashlight in my truck.

Here in southcentral Alaska the darkest time in the woods is during the 'wet' months - spring & fall (ok - March/April & October/November). Summertime has delightfully long daylight with great twilight, and when the snow's on the ground the world at night is a much brighter place than you'd first think. But those 'wet' months - yuck! Definitely need all the lumens you can pack along... Folks doing my night caches in the wintertime (best time, as the swamps have mostly frozen up and the bugs are dead) learn that too much light is bad in the snow-bright night... but those LED headlamps work the best, as the reflective markers are designed to reflect back to the light source (the headlamp right above the eye makes visibility the best).

I think I have fewer DNFs when caching after dark. Maybe it's because I have to trust the GPS rather than instinct. I ALWAYS take along a flashlight.

I night cache every chance I get. Roughly 20% of my finds have been in darkness (yes, I keep track). Often times the search ends quicker at night. I attribute this to focusing on the flashlight. Whether I'm using a headlamp (usually) or a hand-held flashlight, I tend to focus my searching where the light shines and perhaps I'm a little more methodical in the searching.

There have been several difficult or sneaky micro hides that I've DNF'd in daylight which I found easily at night.

mmmmmm, just stop and listen. What was that noise, is it getting closer? The mind wanders in the darkness, evil lurks around every tree waiting to jump out and..........

Someone on these boards once said something like... "Fear not strange noises in the dark, for the creatures that intend to hurt you will stalk you silently."

Good words to keep in mind when you are in the woods, alone, and in the dark.

It's a long story, but as a newbie I found myself 2 hours from the parking lot (where I would receive a ticket for being parked after closing) with only 30 minutes of daylight left, and no flashlight. Fortunately I 'knew' the trail network well enough to find my way out in the dark.

Sure, bring a flashlight, but more important, know how much daylight you have left when you start. Divide that in half, add that amount to the current time and set your cell phone/pda alarm for that time. When the alarm goes off, turn around.

Night caching is one of my favourite challenges. There is something about it that I can't describe. As FTF hounds, we're on "alert" 24-7 (well, almost). Not long ago, a cache was published in our area at about 2:00 p.m. Being at the office, I couldn't jump on it so I left it for one of the other hounds to get.

Lo and behold, I got home at around 8:00 pm and it was still not found (or so the cache page said...!!!) At 11:30 pm, I decided that although it may have been found and not logged (hate that), I couldn't sleep if I didn't go.

So, I left the family asleep and headed to a busy section of highway in a remote industrial area, headlamp on, and geosense on "extra-high". The cache was cammo'd and hidden in a wall of ivy about 16 feet high and 100 feet long. So here I am, with semi-trailer trucks blowing by every 30 seconds, inspecting every frickin' strand of ivy to locate the micro.

Within 15 minutes, I had it and whilst signing the log (yes, got the FTF), I remember yelling (nobody could hear me of course) - "WHO'S YOUR DADDY!!!"

Now our geo-bag has 2 flashlights, 2 headlamps, and various other night-devices in case we're called out in the wee hours.

From that experience, I now take a flashlight on EVERY cache hunt. Seems my failing 46 year old vision is insipred when a little bit of LED-power is handy.

Great thread, hope I haven't rambled too long.

HuggyFamily (Huggy Bear).

I remember once turning the backlight on the palm all the way up in an attempt to make one more find for the evening... Now we always keep a flashlight in the truck.

Keeping the flashlight in the truck won't help you if you don't have it with you :(

Seriously night caching can be fun. Let your eyes adjust to the night and you'll be surprised as to what you can really see at night. After spending 11 years in the Army you learn to use the night to your benefit. It can be your friend. And I do carry a headlamp and a flashlight as well. Only use them when needed because they will mess up your natural night vision unless you put in a red lens.

I think I have fewer DNFs when caching after dark. Maybe it's because I have to trust the GPS rather than instinct. I ALWAYS take along a flashlight.

I haven't had a DNF at night yet. About 1/3 of my finds are night runs. I agree with wesleykey's theory and also for some reason the cache stands out a little bit a dusk for me usually . . .

Someone on these boards once said something like... "Fear not strange noises in the dark, for the creatures that intend to hurt you will stalk you silently."

Good words to keep in mind when you are in the woods, alone, and in the dark.

What's really freaky is when a creature doesn't intend to stalk you and you both scare the hell out of each other! :)

I remember once turning the backlight on the palm all the way up in an attempt to make one more find for the evening... Now we always keep a flashlight in the truck.

Keeping the flashlight in the truck won't help you if you don't have it with you :(

I recently made that mistake and got stuck out on an unfamiliar trail with my flashlight in the car. :D When I found my way back, there was a Sheriff's deputy by may car. I sooo thought that I was busted for after hours :D (but turns out it was still open). He was just making sure the owner of the vehicle was safe.

SIDE: This deputy was leaving his business card in the wiper and a note to call his unit to confirm I made it back out safe after dark. Also a good way to make sure people out of there after hours without necessarily having to come back ;) .

So he asked what I was up to. I straight out said geocaching He raised an eyebrow and said, "Did ya find it?" turns out his brother is a geocacher and he is thinking of joining in too.

I went on the computer before I went to bed and saw a new cache

hidden about 5 miles from home. I live in the country in northern

Minnesota. I thought, ahhh my first FTF. So I went out with my

trusty LED flashlight and eTrex. Parked and hiked in about 1/2

mile, 220' from the cache my LED light goes out. I thought just

great!!!! So after strugglin through the trail, no moonlight, I hear

a big crash in the woods. Bear or moose I thought, as my hearts

pumpin about 140 beats per minute. Another 1/10 of a mile by

a big pond, a beaver slaps his tail on the water and scares me

half to death. Actually the lit screen on my eTrex was a problem

because my eyes were adjusting to the darkness. Someone else

got the FTF in the mornin, and I've yet to have a FTF.

Moral of story: Be prepared for the worst, have a backup light.

Don't believe that LED bulbs dont go out! Be prepared to spend

the night in the woods if you mess up!

Anthony

I've done the same with the display on my GPSr when caught without a flashlight on a FTF hunt.

Three new caches had popped up 10-14 km from my home along the coast so after dinner I went after them. The first was found as FTF at 20:37 and in September there's still a little light at that time. The second I went after got a lot more difficult since my GPSr didn't have all the small forest roads so I had to park about 500 m from the suggested parking coordinates because I couldn't find my way to there. I knew I had my flashlight in my bag but couldn't find it so I went ahead anyway with just my GPSr and leaving the bag in the car. There was still a little light to allow me to follow the path in the forest but when I got to the beach it had gotten rather dark and I couldn't find the cache! The time was now 21:10. Having spent ca. 15 minutes searching for the micro I decided to head back to the car and return and give it a try the next day and only had the light on the display of the GPSr turned all the way up and the breadcrumbs from my track to the cache on the map screen to lead me back to the car. That was a special experience walking through the dark forest with so little light.

When I got back to the car I did find the flashlight at the bottom of one of the pockets I had searched in my bag so I could go after the third cache which I logged at 21:46, but only as number 2. :(

The next day I did find the second cache after work having looked at a map and seen how to get to the parking coordinates and still got to be FTF ;) I had looked at the right place and must have pushed it around with my hands but couldn't see it without light. So I did get 2 FTF's for my efforts.

My logging a DNF on the middle cache the night before might have kept some of the other FTF hounds in the area from going after it but I wouldn't let it beat me.

A fun memory to look back at here a little more than a year later.

I now also keep a dedicated geocaching bag with a flashlight and a headlamp ready to go.

/René

One time I went for a night cache and right when I found it, my mini mag burned a bulb. I now carry 2 extra batteries (not that they would have helped) and an extra mini mag light bulb in my geocaching man purse that I keep in my car.

You do know mini-maglights have a spare bulb in the base cap don't you?

no. I don't see a place for one on mine

Do not forget your GPS will tell you what time the sun will set, and what the moon phase is. A full moon can light your way at night.

Do not forget to mark the way point of your car if you are going far enough away that you will be out of sight of it. Then you can use the track back option to get you back to your car.

Do not forget extra batteries for all your electronics and lights.

Do not forget the BOOGY MAN hides behind the trees in the woods, not the closet door in your room.

Night catching is fun and mysterious.

One time I went for a night cache and right when I found it, my mini mag burned a bulb. I now carry 2 extra batteries (not that they would have helped) and an extra mini mag light bulb in my geocaching man purse that I keep in my car.

Unscrew the base cap, pull the spring out of it and you'll find the bulb in a red holder set into the base cap.

Unscrew the base cap, pull the spring out of it and you'll find the bulb in a red holder set into the base cap.

Holy nuts! That's awesome! Thanks, man. That would have been a big help.

Holy nuts! That's awesome! Thanks, man. That would have been a big help.

Glad to help. I didn't know it either until mine burned out and a Buddy changed it for me. :lol:

I work nights, so I do quite a bit of night caching on my off days. One night there was a letterbox (GCJ06M) I went after and was wandering around the area looking for the 2nd stage when I noticed someone with a flashlight coming towards me. As they got closer I noticed that it was two women and I’m pretty sure they didn’t notice me, at first. Now my thinking was that the only reason for them to be in this area, in the dark, was for the same reason I was. So I walked towards them and asked if they were here for the same reason I was. At that point they huddled together and rather quickly headed back the way they came. I'm pretty sure I scared the you know what out of them. At that point I decided that since I couldn’t find the 2nd stage, I would try again on another night. Besides, I figured those women had called the cops on me, and a SWAT team would be rolling into the area at any moment.

:lol:

I cache almost exclusively at night. Probably 80% of my 500 logs have been nightcrawling. We have coined the phrase "NIGHTCRAWLING" for such a practice. We once found a five stage cache which was all micros after midnight in dense underbrush. Nobody could believe we did it in the dark since most couldn't find it in the daylight! Several of our caches were set after midnight. Nothing beats the woods after dark especially on a cool clear night. Cemetaries too, but don't tell on us.

Team Rattlebars is notorious for nightcrawling.... locals will always state in their listings "NO NIGHTCRAWLING" if they don't want us around after dark (but hey :lol: )

We have a good list of excuses for the LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers) for after dark questioning and some of them know us by now and might stop and say "Find it yet?"

We have several logo's that pertain and all our pages have this background....

teamratt.gif

And this is our logo.....

rattlogo.jpg

And this is my favorite flashlight, the Fenix P1D which is 135 lumens and no bigger than your thumb (do a google search on Fenix or check eBay). This thing is like daylight!

fenix.jpg

Edited by Rattlebars

I'v done a couple reflector courses (the first two Nighteye caches, in the series before the one Lepidus referred to) but other that that, even though stay up late, I usually stay inside. On two caches, one a DNF'ed multi in Hew Hampshire and one of the nicer long- lived mountain hikes here (Kleaver Karl's Kache) I have run into dark by virtue of starting too late.

On the NH one, we were 80 feet from the final and couldn't see the way in when we decided to turn around. No light, of course. It was after sunset, but still okay twilight, but we were on a blazed trail with maybe 50 or more feet between blazes and no solid ground path. We really needed to get at least back to the main trails before the light was gone.

It's the most amazing feeling to be out in the woods while the light goes away. After a while, it doesn't look like it's getting darker, but everything gets grayer as your night vision sets in, and then grainier as you finally run out of photons.

Fortunately, that's when the car came into view on both of these. And yup, I have a little flashlight in my bag now.

-Bill

[edit OOps.. click COPY click paste]

Edited by Bill Bailey

Just recently out after dark but I knew it was going to happen. Headlamps are the greatest plus I always carry a flashlight as backup.

Here is my log.

Just for FYI on why I didn't return on the original road on Saxon Mtn, the road is very ledgy with high drop offs and has some obstacles. The route I took was the shortest distance to a paved hiway. That in mind, it was almost 9 miles via GPS routing. I had not taken the Cascade Creek route before so I wasn't familier with the terrain, but I figured that it probably would be safer the the alternative.

I was not concerned with having to stay over if needed since I keep emergency supplies in the Jeep and that includes many ways of making a warming fire.

Edited by zoltig

I got introduced to caching while working a night shift, so most of my first finds were made before the sun came up. I was surprised how easy it was once I looked in the daylight! :D Now I do most of my caching in daylight because I swiched shifts and I'm spoiled! Need to go on some night runs again. :D It's more of a thrill if you ask me! But I recommend going with someone else.

Does anyone have any experience or comments about a Fenix P2D-CE ?

I can only speak to it in that the P2D would have been my choice, but it was not available when I purchased my P1D-ce. The 2 uses the same DAYLIGHT producing CREE LED. The switching is more convenient, but it is a little larger then the 1. The 1 is a bit hard to use because of the need to turn the bezel to switch among all the modes.

Click here for my interesting log for a night time find.

That was awsome! Thank you for taking the time to share. When the children are older, we will attempt trips like this too. Although, we cannot take the AZ heat, the other ones looked fab. :PB)B)

Does anyone have any experience or comments about a Fenix P2D-CE ?

I can only speak to it in that the P2D would have been my choice, but it was not available when I purchased my P1D-ce. The 2 uses the same DAYLIGHT producing CREE LED. The switching is more convenient, but it is a little larger then the 1. The 1 is a bit hard to use because of the need to turn the bezel to switch among all the modes.

Click here for my interesting log for a night time find.

Interesting story this close to Holloween. What does Amish smell like?

Anyway I got the Fenix P2D-CE. Amazing amount of light from such a small instrument.

Keeping the flashlight in the truck won't help you if you don't have it with you :blink:

Seriously night caching can be fun. Let your eyes adjust to the night and you'll be surprised as to what you can really see at night. After spending 11 years in the Army you learn to use the night to your benefit. It can be your friend. And I do carry a headlamp and a flashlight as well. Only use them when needed because they will mess up your natural night vision unless you put in a red lens.

my brother taught me about the eye adjusting and it is amazing how much light comes thru the clouds from the moon or reflects off of them from cities. It is worth the pratice if you want to try it in controlled environment. Anyway the LED headlamp is so light easy to take.

4 years of military night maneuvers, plus growing up in the bush has allowed me to see what others can't in the dark. I very regularly traverse bush trails at night, and scoff at those who require a flashlight to see every twig on the ground.

When I get near the cache location, a 2-AA maglight comes out of the pack for the final search. BTW, that 2-AA mag has saved many a daytime cache find, as well.

As stated by a few posters above, allow your night vision to adjust to the darkness, then leave the light in your pocket. Turning it on will result in another 5 minutes of night blindness until your vision adjusts again.

Gotta love night time caching.

Quite offen go on 24hour caching spree.

I believe you can get closer to GZ at night because you

use your gps and not your eyes.Eg Cache hidden in a

stump day time you start looking in every stump until

you are on top of it where at night you can't see all those

other stumps as you what till GZ before looking.

You also move slower at night allowing gps to settle

more quickly.

I go night caching often. I think not being able to see that great at night, makes your other sense's get stronger so you start to hear the "spooky" noises. :D Also i find that it cuts the Muggle ratio WAY down. I carey a Cache bag with me on all my Caching trips. Its one of those water holding types so that comes in Handy also Mid way through the trip :P In it it has all the usual items including 1 Mag light and one smaller (more powerful actually) LED type of light. I like to use super stealth mode when Caching at night though, It seems to make things a bit funer for me...lol

Lately, the Bower Tower pirates seem to be only going at night. We get kicked out of a lot of parks that have closing times, other times we end up finding other ways to get ourselves in trouble, all of us being 19, thats not hard. Otherwise, Night time treasure hunting adds a whole new level of difficulty to the game. So do paintball guns!... nah, bad idea...

-Reed Random

StupidPeopleProductions.com