Civil War Series Geocoins

prntr1

FYI, I think a coin shaped like an ice cream cone would do well, could call it the Ice Cream Coin!!

Reckon ICM would buy one? Or a Gollum coin perhaps?

ON TOPIC: I don't readily find the relevance to geocaching, but that doesn't mean I won't spring for one or more.

©¿©¬

I was just getting ready to post here GCT0H6 would be a good place to put the Ice Cream Coin :huh:

People are just as entitled to their opinion as people are in making the coins, so I appreciate feedback both ways. Isn't it up to Groundspeak to approve the designs? If they feel something is unrelated to caching they can turn it down right?? I don't see this happening though since we've already seen coins that are non-cache related...

:huh:

Edited by The Blind Acorn

An opinion from the other side of the pond.

Relevence ? Questionable. Would I buy? no.

Short supply therefore have trading power? No. Would I buy? No.

Good looking coins? Yes. Would I buy? No. See Question 1.

Good price? At $6.00 yep. Would I buy? Probably not. see question 2

My suggestion is 500 coins at $6.00 a piece.

You will get presales at that level with probably a demand shortfall. Therefore questions 2 and 3 and 4 become relevant to a buyer and thus the dip into the pockets. At 1,000 coins I would have them on the list of wants and trade for them later.

I've found a lot of stuff in caches that had nothing to do with geocaching other than that someone put it into a cache. I've also seen a lot of travel bugs that have nothing to do with geocaching other than someone attaching a travel bug tag and putting it into a cache. With that said a nicley designed coin that is trackable is just a relevant to geocaching as all that other stuff. Well I guess that assumes people still put coins into caches (their intended purpose) instead of just on the shelf to display!! :huh:

I personally think the coins are great, I'll sign up for 2 of each. Yes that would be one for me to put on the shelf and put the other into a cache somewhere.

Edited by Redleg139

Nice idea but.....20.000 geocoins about The Civil War :)

20 coins, 20 icons maybe OK.

20 coins, one icon certainly not OK.

20 coins, 20 times shipping to Europe is about $ 100 extra, not OK :huh: .

I think one coin of the Civil war is more than enough, 20 coins with one subject is too much!

What about one complete serie and one shipping order? We always make a lot more money with the extra shipping of $ 5,00 at each coin. This looks like big business :) ! But I'll buy at least one :)

There is always talk about coins for the intended purpose to travel. What I think we need to realise is that is not real. The intention with most coins at this number is to sell the coins to finance the series. If you want to sell 20000 coins to travel and that is the intention then you will have a very long wait to sell them. (or deep pockets)

The fact is most coin issues rely initially on the buyer/collector to get them off the ground. The buyer/collector relies on a coin issue to have characteristics that make it worthwhile. Unless, you are one of those addicts then nothing will stop them.

Research within the forums will show that unless you have a coin such as a state/city organisation that has a big state/city support ie the local collector of this one coin, you will not get the initial support to finance your wish.

Therefore you are asking the collector/buyer to fund a major portion. To make the series attractive to this person you have to meet some parameters to get wide support. This series is asking for a commitment of $6.00 times 20 ie $120. Most coin clubs and individuals buy 2-3 sets per buyer for a reason. If those reasons don't exist then the commitment from this group may be one third less. You will then have the situation where the initiator of the series gets left with the bill. Recent examples of very slow sales I can think of are Fraher Family coin, Sattelite series and I am sure others could name a few more.

Research those coin issues that sell within seconds. You need some of the coin clubs to commit to the 30's and 100's.

There is always talk about coins for the intended purpose to travel. What I think we need to realise is that is not real. The intention with most coins at this number is to sell the coins to finance the series. If you want to sell 20000 coins to travel and that is the intention then you will have a very long wait to sell them. (or deep pockets)

The fact is most coin issues rely initially on the buyer/collector to get them off the ground. The buyer/collector relies on a coin issue to have characteristics that make it worthwhile. Unless, you are one of those addicts then nothing will stop them.

Research within the forums will show that unless you have a coin such as a state/city organisation that has a big state/city support ie the local collector of this one coin, you will not get the initial support to finance your wish.

Therefore you are asking the collector/buyer to fund a major portion. To make the series attractive to this person you have to meet some parameters to get wide support. This series is asking for a commitment of $6.00 times 20 ie $120. Most coin clubs and individuals buy 2-3 sets per buyer for a reason. If those reasons don't exist then the commitment from this group may be one third less. You will then have the situation where the initiator of the series gets left with the bill. Recent examples of very slow sales I can think of are Fraher Family coin, Sattelite series and I am sure others could name a few more.

Research those coin issues that sell within seconds. You need some of the coin clubs to commit to the 30's and 100's.

Belken,

Good points all, but much more valid if I was not financing myself. Also I hope to set these up where you can buy the first 10 all at once at around 4.50 each. $4.50 times 10 is $45.00. I can UPS 10 coins almost anywhere in the continental US for $4.95 or less using USPS, that's 10 coins in hand for around $50.00 bucks!!

I don't think it is unrealistic to hope that coins get back in caches, if they don't then I believe people should realize that this coin thing will die. Researching the forums show me that most new posters in the coin area are people that are excited they found a coin, and we all know, once found is almost certainly hooked!!

Thanks for the input!!

Edited by prntr1

Prtnr1.

Good luck. From finding a coin to commiting to spending money is a big step.

The icons on your profile for found trackables are from where?? Your owned coins are where??

At $4.50 you are competing with TB tags. A good call. That price also brings my interest up a few points. If you can achieve the quality at that price you will definately be bucking the trend.

Again good luck. You have now peaked my interest and I will watch carefully.

Humm.. only one problem - you missed the battle for Atlanta - since Atlanta held the keys to the Confederacy, (and I'm a transplanted Georgia/Atlanta girl); when Atlanta fell, so did the rest of the confederacy.

Otherwise, this is a most interesting set. Will they be all B&W or in color for the battle scenes?

Battle of Atlanta was began in August 1864, Sherman took Atlanta on September 1, 1864, it is the first coin of the next ten, I only had the artwork done for the first ten.

Thanks, any suggestions for the last nine??

Prtnr1.

Good luck. From finding a coin to commiting to spending money is a big step.

The icons on your profile for found trackables are from where?? Your owned coins are where??

At $4.50 you are competing with TB tags. A good call. That price also brings my interest up a few points. If you can achieve the quality at that price you will definately be bucking the trend.

Again good luck. You have now peaked my interest and I will watch carefully.

Belken, Good Points (marked in red)

I'm trying to put my money where my mouth is :huh: I have been buying two of each coin and am watching the current efforts to get coins back out in caches, I think Yemon has the best idea, but would like to see them travel

Quality should not be a problem.

If the pricing is at $4.50 each, then I would purchase all 10 at once. However, if you cannot achieve that pricing than consider releasing this series 2 coins at a time please.

Also, will you only be selling thse as sets? What if I want only certain coins and not all of them?

Looks like that pricing will be for the set of 10, individuals I might have to up very slightly to cover any additional handling (actual costs, envelopes etc...) obviously can ship 10 in one saves the cost of 9 envelopes.

But yes, I will be selling them by one by one.

$4.50 times 10 is $45.00. I can UPS 10 coins almost anywhere in the continental US for $4.95 or less using USPS, that's 10 coins in hand for around $50.00 bucks!!

That is a very good price. All things aside, I commend you for making coins that are so much cheaper than the norm. It's a great thing to see.

Having done many of the Civil War geocaches in Gettysburg and also those in other places (even here in little St. Mary's Co, MD) I have to say I'd be very interested in those coins. I am a bit bias though, I was born and raised in Richmond, VA and you kinda grow up with reminders of the Civil War all around you there.

They look great, nice work!! Put me down for 1 of each (looks like there are 4 in the set correct?).

Edited by SoMDCacherz
$4.50 times 10 is $45.00. I can UPS 10 coins almost anywhere in the continental US for $4.95 or less using USPS, that's 10 coins in hand for around $50.00 bucks!!

That is a very good price. All things aside, I commend you for making coins that are so much cheaper than the norm. It's a great thing to see.

So are you in for 2 of each :huh:

Seriously though, thanks I really am trying to get them out there.

Having done many of the Civil War geocaches in Gettysburg and also those in other places (even here in little St. Mary's Co, MD) I have to say I'd be very interested in those coins. I am a bit bias though, I was born and raised in Richmond, VA and you kinda grow up with reminders of the Civil War all around you there.

They look great, nice work!! Put me down for 1 of each (looks like there are 4 in the set correct?).

Not 4, 10 in the first batch, 10 in the second, 20 total.

Civil War Coins

I like them too and would probably buy a pair of sets - at least one of which would be for placing in caches.

My .02 on the flags for the reverse is that one of the "official" CSA flags might be more appropriate than the Navy Jack. Yes, today the Navy Jack is most commonly associated with the confederacy, but it was never an "official" flag design (though it appears in squared form in the two later CSA flags). It appears that you have the correct US flag, you would probably surprise some folks with the correct confederate flag.

I know that it would add to the cost, but evolving the confederate flag as the battles progress would be cool too!

I like them too and would probably buy a pair of sets - at least one of which would be for placing in caches.

My .02 on the flags for the reverse is that one of the "official" CSA flags might be more appropriate than the Navy Jack. Yes, today the Navy Jack is most commonly associated with the confederacy, but it was never an "official" flag design (though it appears in squared form in the two later CSA flags). It appears that you have the correct US flag, you would probably surprise some folks with the correct confederate flag.

I know that it would add to the cost, but evolving the confederate flag as the battles progress would be cool too!

You have surprised me, most people don't know about the "official" flag, for those interested here is a link, how many think it should be changed?

Official Confederate Flags

I could use them by placing a different coin in 20 different caches. Either my own as an incentive to be FTF or to restart interest after it has been in service, or I could put some in those memorable caches I find from other hiders. Then the challenge would be for you to get a complete set by following me around to those great caches or being first to mine. Of course I would have to set up a lot more caches.

Just an idea.

I already drop coins in memorable caches. Most I have activated, but a few were just dropped for trade purpose and thanks for the memories.

Thanks, any suggestions for the last nine??

I like the idea about the Confederate flag evolving over time...though I am partial to the Naval Jack.

The request for coins depicting events in Alabama makes me wonder if having one for every state where action took place would be cool?

My suggestion is a Raiders coin - Wilson's Raiders, among others, slashed through the South after The War of Northern Aggression, destroying infrastructure so that the South could not recover and re-enter the fray. Most of the really neat scenes of such destruction throughout the South have or likely will have geocaches... I would love to have a Raider coin to put in them.

Ed

I'd like a couple. Maybe Gen. Sherman using a GPS en route to Savannah?

I wish he'd have been using a Magellan.

Nice series idea, Prntr1. How about a tie in to this cache?

Did I miss it, can we order yet? Can't afford the whole set at once, but I'll watch with interest.

Didn't miss it, just getting ready to go to press!!!