How did you hear about geocaching?

CacheMonkeez

The husband gave the wife a GPS for their anniversary? I wish I could get away with that!

quote:
Originally posted by blu-eyes:

A while back I had told my sister I wanted a GPS, and a few weeks later she sent me an article from the Tallahassee Democrat newspaper (July, 2001) about GeoCaching. I told my husband, and he gave me a GPS for our anniversary. He's not so interested in Geocaching, but doesn't mind me running all over.

Are there many Women who do this with out the spouse/boyfriend?

-blu-eyes-

blu-eyes [icon_smile.gif]

I've had a street pilot for awhile and one day at work, Nscaler brought his latest toy and was telling people about his latest hobby, geocaching.

Seeing that it would force me to get outside more with my son, I went out and bought a Vista.

Garmin Vista

Garmin Street Pilot

and a partridge in a pear tree

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Man:

On an unrelated note, it's disturbing to see how many people mentioned http://www.wilwheaton.net. I mean, have you seen this? If I never see him on TV or in film again it will be too soon.

To each their own, I guess. I really did not like Wesley Crusher on ST:TNG, but that was only a character, not the real Wil Wheaton. His blog can be fun, and his web presence in other areas (his interview on Slashdot, for example) has been quite respectable.

Ron/yumitori

I just got a new 4x4 and talked my friend into doing some off roading .He had told me about it and i thought it was a neet idea.When i got home and told my wife she looked at me with such a look.(married guys should know that look all to well)She didnt look any more pleased when I told her the price of a low end gps unit.Well I went out and bought one anyways.I was so exicited i couldnt wait to find my first cache and found one a few miles from my house.I punched in the cordinates and away I went .I came home an hour later discouraged ,I couldnt find the darn micro cache.I talked her into going back out with me to help me find this impossible to find cache.Reluctantly she went with me.With flashlights in hand she found it in about 2 min after we get there. After that she was hooked she now says itd the best purchase Ive ever made.As for my friend that told me about it he still hasnt got gps yet. icon_biggrin.gif

You dont have to be afraid of the creatures you hear in the woods.Its the ones that are silently stalking you that you should be concerened about.

I just got a new 4x4 and talked my friend into doing some off roading .He had told me about geocaching and I thought it was a neet idea.When I got home and told my wife she looked at me with such a look.(married guys should know that look all to well)She didnt look any more pleased when I told her the price of a low end gps unit.Well I went out and bought one anyways.I was so exicited I couldnt wait to find my first cache and found one on the website a few miles from my house.I punched in the cordinates and away I went .I came home an hour later discouraged ,I couldnt find the darn micro cache.I talked her into going back out with me to help me find this impossible to find cache.Reluctantly she went with me.With flashlights in hand she found it in about 2 min after we get there. After that she was hooked she now says itd the best purchase Ive ever made.As for my friend that told me about it he still hasnt got gps yet. icon_biggrin.gif

You dont have to be afraid of the creatures you hear in the woods.Its the ones that are silently stalking you that you should be concerened about.

Found this web site when I was searching for information on what GPS to buy my husband. We tried geocaching and were hooked. We then took our grandsons out and they were excited to find their first cache. They were sure that we had just hidden it for them. Now their Mom is hooked too, and goes when she can. Finally, we have found something to motivate the kids to get outside instead of looking for a new toy at K-mart! They have learned a lot about maps, latitude and longitude, using a compass, and using the GPS. We have all had fun tracking travel bugs, too. Great family sport! icon_smile.gif

Wow! Who knew Wil Wheaton was so popular? I actually had no clue who he was when I ended up at his page with the Geocaching.com link on it. I do online research in support of fund raising and was looking at the site of a potential donor. He had a link to wilwheaton.com and I followed it just for the heck of it. The next thing you know I'm out bushwhacking through briars and slogging through marshes and trading little trinkets for Happy Meal toys.

Where am I going? I don't quite know.

What does it matter where people go?

Down to the wood where the blue-bells grow-

Anywhere, anywhere. I don't know.

-A.A. Milne

Strangely enough, I heard about geocaching from my father. He's an avid hawkwatcher, and has a mountaintop hawkwatch where he spends a lot of time. There's a cache located nearby, and he's talked to cachers on their way in and out while sitting in the parking lot hawkwatching. When I showed him my new GPSr, he told me about geocaching.

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

I read about it on Randy Cassingham's site: www.thisistrue.com

I've been using a Garmin GPS for a long time on my boat, but it is just too hard to drag those batteries around in the woods. Finally, I wanted another GPS for small boats and I bought the legend. After I came back from a week up the Sacramento Delta, I couldn't wait to try out Geocaching. I picked the closest cache to my house and I was hooked.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

My oldest son got a summer job pumping gas at yellowstone (greatest summer job for a student). Knowing his proclivity to take off hiking with little preparation or plans for problems, The least I could do from 2000 miles away was get him a gps. Got him an Etrex even though he thought it was wasted money. Turns out, he used it! Luckily, he was never in a situation where the GPS was critical to his survival. He grew to really enjoy it.

Then got another Etrex for my second son upon graduation. He's the electronics hound. The two of us enjoy cache hunting.

By that time, I'd been surfing a bit and found the "Degree Confluence Project". A link there led my to Geocaching.com. Now this is my favorite site. Lots of good advice and humor.

It's great to find a group of good people willing to help others.

Of course, after using the Etrexes, I wanted a unit with maps and picked up a Legend. It's been great. Even my wife (originally negative) has seen the benefits after I was able to navigate short distances through cities/areas to get to our destinations.

I think geocaching was trying to find ME!

I've always enjoyed hiking, history, orienteering, maps, and GPS.

I saw a geocaching shirt/patch/bumpersticker? and asked the person about it. They told me, (even went into the Degree Confluence Project) and I was interested, but since I didn't write down the URL or have a GPSr, I just forgot about it.

I saw an article in the local newspaper, explaining more about the sport and thought it was cool and worth investigating, but never got to it.

I stumbled across redirector #1 for Electromagnetic Fields Forever on 1/20/2003 (see the log). I knew some kind of geo-game was afoot.

I stumbled into the Low Water Rock-n-Roll Party cache on 1/22/2003 (logged), but didn't open it. I forgot the URL on the ammo can and eventually forgot about finding the cache.

I ran across a Want To Buy ad on 4/15/2003 for a GPSr in the austin.forsale newsgroups. Someone posted a reply indicating that the person should check out www.geocaching.com. I checked it out myself and finally realized what the cache I found was. I realized right then that this activity was for me, and I hurried right out there with BubblesPPG to bag it as our first cache. I've been hooked ever since.

BlazerMan

[This message was edited by BlazerMan on June 17, 2003 at 10:18 AM.]

About a year ago I had to find a Benchmark for a cell tower project in Silvis, IL and I wanted to be sure it was there. During the search I found this site and a conformation of a bench! As a result, I was able to run the bench about 1.5 miles East and up the hill to the top of the existing water tank. Should be a cell antenna there now.

Lost the site and found it again recently.

Experience - A list of non fatal mistakes.

I invented it. Even coined the term "Geocaching". Knowing I was on to something I did a domain check and some other dude had geocaching.com. That same dude got geocaching.org, so I thought I'd check out the site. dadgum if he didn't do it about the way I had come up with. At that point it was easier to be a finder then do the work for a website. So that was that.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

One of my readers sent a letter to the editor pointing out the website to other readers. He added the comment, "Jolly this has your name written all over it!"

I checked out the site. Immediately told a friend and within two days we had logged our first cache. (he in Indiana -- me in Illinois).

That night we compared war stories on the phone of our experiences. We both knew we were hooked for the long term.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Husband and I decided last fall that we needed to get off our ever-expanding rears and lose some weight. He found that our local newspaper's webpage had a section on day hikes in our county. There was a notation on one of the hikes that a geocache was hidden there with a link to geocaching.com. 30 pounds lighter and many cache finds later, we're having a ball!

My dad was looking for something that we could do together this summer and he ran across this site. We both became members right away and are now looking for a great beginer geocache. if you have any ideas please reply to my guestion in the getting started catigory. thanks for making this site great geocachers! I cant wait to get started on a great geocaching adventure!

Laura Hughes

The Best Half of our team attended a conference where there was a geocacher present. He took a few people out to find a local cache one evening, then was telling the Best Half about it at lunch the next day. She came home enthused and told me about it with the same result. Now we're pretty well hooked after just a couple of months. Actually, I suspect we were hooked after the first cache! Too bad we have to mow the lawn, etc. in the summer, it's really slowing down our caching activities. We've been to more local parks that we had never visited than we can believe. We've also found some really nice places out of state in areas that we never would have visited just driving through.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need .... roads" --Dr. Emmett L. Brown

I was looking through community ed classes offered by a community college and saw one that discussed the new sport of geocaching. I didn't take the class but I looked into it, signed up and decided to buy a GPS. Since I worked such bad hours I did wait until I had a new job before I started caching. I wish I had seen it earlier

Heard about geocaching a few months ago by word of mouth at work. Looked at the site a few times but did not have a GPS, however I've always wanted one. Wanted something to do with the kids over Memorial Day weekend so I went to Sports Authority and looked at the SportTrak on my lunch hour on Friday but decided I really shouldn't spend the money although the $50 rebate made it tempting. When I got home from work that evening I had a message on the machine, it was Sports Authority with a special $10.00 off any purchase for past customers offer. I figured it had to be an omen, and who am I to just ignore an omen! We've had a great time since, and plan on making it a habit icon_smile.gif

This article Got my attention.

Park rangers wanting people to come in and use facilities, until they come in and use them, then they want them to quit?

I followed thelink to the article, then I followed another link to this site, read some forums, priced a hand held garmin Etrex, went to a pagan wedding & wondered why the wife & I got a tent & camping gear for our wedding when we never seem to leave the AC.

Suggested this to her, pointed out all the equipment we had already, and it was off to the races!

They say this universe is bound to blow,

I say we crank up the Calypso Control!

~Jimmy Buffett

~Someday I Will~

As I was saying. I was looking for information on the length of a local lake I am rowing (Lake Woodlands TX / 77382) and one of the returns included the word caching. Being a computer type of guy, I could not compute how the word 'caching' could follow 'geo'. Obviously I had to check out the website. It turns out that web page was for a cache called Lake Woodlands Mud Hole. 'nuff said.