Would you give up caching?

I wouldn't. :D

Not too long ago I found a cache near a very fancy large house with a huge property. The owner peaked out of their door as I parked my car and hopped out. The cache was a small lock n lock hidden under a fern with a little worm wriggling on the lid. Now you wouldn't think finding something that small could give a person such joy but it did. Pure bliss! It occurred to me at that moment that they could have offered me their house right then and there in exchange for me promising to never cache again. And you know, I would have just walked away. :D

I wouldn't. :D

Not too long ago I found a cache near a very fancy large house with a huge property. The owner peaked out of their door as I parked my car and hopped out. The cache was a small lock n lock hidden under a fern with a little worm wriggling on the lid. Now you wouldn't think finding something that small could give a person such joy but it did. Pure bliss! It occurred to me at that moment that they could have offered me their house right then and there in exchange for me promising to never cache again. And you know, I would have just walked away. :D

Sorry that was me. Didn't mean to interrupt your search.

ah, totally would. to be debt free .... no college loan debt, no mortgage, no living paycheck to paycheck .?! Absolutely . I'd do it for my 4 y/o daughter and 6 m/o son. then I'd wait a few months until the dust had settled, make a new geo-name, and get my ace back out there. lolol

If you went to a competitor's site, would you still be officially geocaching? :ph34r:

For 20 million, I would give up caching. It would be very hard. All those trees with nooks in them, all those hollow logs, all those potential hiding places I would see as I travelled the world (seems that most of us have world-travel on our list of things to spend that money on).

But with my handy-dandy GPS, I could still do this: The Degree Confluence Project

If you went to a competitor's site, would you still be officially geocaching? :ph34r:

For 20 million, I would give up caching. It would be very hard. All those trees with nooks in them, all those hollow logs, all those potential hiding places I would see as I travelled the world (seems that most of us have world-travel on our list of things to spend that money on).

But with my handy-dandy GPS, I could still do this: The Degree Confluence Project

You're lucky. I used to have a cache at one of those...

For the record: for that kind of money, I can find a new hobby.

As others have said I'd give it up for a lot less than $20mill, there are a lot of other hobbies/pastimes out there which I could take up with that kind of dosh.

Conversely if I happened to come up in the lottery and won that kind of money with no strings attached I'd blow a lot of it on caching around the world.

For 20M. :huh:

Financial security for me and my family for the rest of our lives....

I wouldn't even post a goodbye geocaching thread. One heartbeat, I'd be here and the next, I'd be a puff of smoke and a distant memory.

I would quietly donate my massive sig item, geocoin & pathtag collections, to Groundspeak for the maze exhibits and any future Groundspeak museum plans.

I would quietly archive my caches and notify the local reviewers that my prime spots with lots of favorites are up for grabs.

Then scoot through the back door and not let it hit me in the arse or give a single look back.

For $20 million? Sure.

Then I would pay a couple of you to go and hide dozens hundreds of letterboxes in my area so I would have something to do in my free time. :D

And I might build an amazing destination geocache like someone else did so that the rest of you would come and visit. That wouldn't really be geocaching would it?

I would give up geocaching for far less, say a measly 5% of that 20 million. :P Would go even less if i could keep some of the things that go along with geocaching such as getting to continue the comraderie with geocaching friends. Luckily there are a few, imo, good quality (challenging, creative, placed in scenic areas) caches still being placed. Otherwise, it would take no reimbursement/compensation/bribe whatsoever for me to give the actual caching part up... :(

How about a counteroffer? For, say, $3 million, I'll give up opencaching, terracaching, munzees, pathtags, and any of the other weak sisters and just stick to geocaching.

Wait, what do you mean you know I already don't do those? Hey! Come back here with that check!!

I'd take the 20 million, move to another area and you would never see the name 'Legochugglers' on a log again.

....you may see a new account start up in the new area about a month later though.

The question is.. give up caching, not give up your screen name.

Sure. I'd buy an RV and visit all the good places in http://www.roadsideamerica.com/.

Just to be clear, the terms need to be defined. Like, define "geocaching" for the purposes of this exercise. :P Of course, there's always the option to just... not log the caches, I guess...

ETA: I could in theory hand the offer over to my husband, who would take it without hesitation. Then I could keep caching with the kids and Silvertongue. :P

Edited by Lady Loki

A friend of mine once told me that he had stopped collecting caches and was collecting (visiting) countries instead. I would be glad to pursue a similar collection in lieu of caching should someone want to make sure that my daughter gets through college and no one comes after my house.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. I discovered caching almost a year ago, and wish I had found it sooner. For me, it's the perfect hobby. I have been doing puzzles for years, and it has been getting harder and harder to find a challenge. Many of the geocaching puzzles are so creative and different, and I love the rush of finding a difficult cache. As for the finances - I've been lucky in that I've saved well, and am happy living a comfortable lifestyle without a lot of extras, and geocaching with my husband has definitely added much pleasure to our lives. I don't miss what I don't have, and want more than anything to have fun experiences. My biggest wish the last few years is that I could join my husband in retirement, but because I want more time to spend pursuing our hobbies, geocaching being at the top of the list! So even though the 20 million dollars would bring on retirement faster, it would be a curse for the rest of my life. And I'd miss seeing all my geocaching friends at the events. No, I'm pretty sure I would turn it down. (Anyone want to offer it to me to see if I'm wrong? :lol: )