Geocoinfest 2012 Montana ? Please post!

tsunrisebey

2012 is a long way off, I know. However there is a reason I'm taking this poll as I would like to see Montana receive some serious consideration in the bidding process and see if it's even worth my time working towards a proposal.

I'll have been to 3 GCF's once I've attended the Minnesota shindig. For those who know their geocoins, know that as far as geocaching goes, geocoins are the one thing I really love. This is the one event that I have made a priority to get to each year.

I realize some of you didn't even know Montana was a state until I posted this and some of you probably don't know where it's even located on the map. We're below Alberta, to the east of Idaho and west of North/South Dakota. We're the 4th largest state and it's really tough to complete the Delorme challenge :lol:

So what I'm looking for is by a show of posting who would SERIOUSLY consider coming out to Montana for Geocoinfest if it could actually pull of winning the bid? I'm looking at a 2012 bid.

Now other than the fact that you would have a awesome Montana host with a truly engaging personality here are some things to think about if you don't even know what's in Montana.

1. Me, tsun coins specifically the Cache only Cowgirl coin :P and my hike your arse off caches :D Helena, MT

2. Close to Glacier National Park

3. Close to Yellowstone National Park

4. Free nutella for everyone :grin:

5. Mountains

6. Lakes and rivers for those inclined to flyfish in Fall

7. Lots of great places for caching

8. Ghost towns

9. Great wild west history

10. Lots of wildlife; elk, moose, Griz, Mountain goats, bald eagles, etc.

11. No rush hour traffic and the Interstate is never packed :grin:

12. Cowboys and Cowgirls

13. Fresh air, clean water

14. me

15. Close to Canada, we speak Canadian :D

16. Mark us off your map :D

I can totally brag up a storm about Montana. Missoula/Bozeman/Great Falls are all within 2 hours or less, so plenty of airports to fly in and out of. Helena has an airport although it may seem really little to most of you but there are great wildlife mounts inside :grin:

Anyhow, can you please post here if you would seriously consider coming to Montana for GCF. I am running this thread for a reason, I kind of have to prove that people would consider coming here for the event so they will take me seriously.

Thanks!

tsun

Not only would I attend the event, I'd spend at least an extra week to explore the beautiful areas you are always telling us about.

I am serious. I would be there.

The only drawback I can see is #14 on your list. :lol:

Well, I keep that contact limited :P Too funny.

Thank goodness 2 people, now I only need 498 more, lol.

Add two more to the list. Dreddel and I would love to go, and we might be lucky enough to be on the road in our Schneider semi truck somewhere near Montana. If not, we'll take some time off and drive up there in the car. And if it'll help and/or count, we'll bring our two dogs, Neecee and Sally, too. LOL

Add two more to the list. Dreddel and I would love to go, and we might be lucky enough to be on the road in our Schneider semi truck somewhere near Montana. If not, we'll take some time off and drive up there in the car. And if it'll help and/or count, we'll bring our two dogs, Neecee and Sally, too. LOL

Yup bring the dogs!

Absolutely I would be there!!

p.s. It might be confusing saying that Montana is east of Idaho.... most people seem to think that Idaho is with all the other "I" states in the midwest... but come to think of it that would put Montana reasonable close to the other "M"...

Not only would I attend the event, I'd spend at least an extra week to explore the beautiful areas you are always telling us about.

I am serious. I would be there.

The only drawback I can see is #14 on your list. :lol:

Well, I keep that contact limited :P Too funny.

Thank goodness 2 people, now I only need 498 more, lol.

Count us as two. I'm sure Hedge Hopper would attend this one!

I would most certainly go. Heading into a major airport would clinch the deal, though, instead of having to make stops and transfer planes. Is the weather easy enough in the fall to reliably fly?

Love hiking - would be thrilled to find a cowgirl coin - and Montana is a big empty state on my map, too.

I would most certainly go. Heading into a major airport would clinch the deal, though, instead of having to make stops and transfer planes. Is the weather easy enough in the fall to reliably fly?

Love hiking - would be thrilled to find a cowgirl coin - and Montana is a big empty state on my map, too.

You'd have to change planes at least once considering where you're coming from. Speaking only for the Helena regional airport, we have flights coming in from Seattle, Spokane, SLC, Denver and Minneapolis that I know of. You'd have to play around with something like Expedia.com to see what's available,

Weather :D You have to be flexible and like surprises :lol: When I drove down to SLC for GCF it was a raging blizzard but it mostly melted the next day and the year before when I left for Pittsburgh, I think it snowed a little bit around here but it was still nice out :P. Helena is at the foothills of the Rocky Mountain front, you never know how the weather will change because of them big ole rocks. It's not uncommon to see a swing in temperature of 80 degrees within 12 hours.

You'd have to change planes at least once considering where you're coming from. Speaking only for the Helena regional airport, we have flights coming in from Seattle, Spokane, SLC, Denver and Minneapolis that I know of. You'd have to play around with something like Expedia.com to see what's available,

Weather :D You have to be flexible and like surprises :lol: When I drove down to SLC for GCF it was a raging blizzard but it mostly melted the next day and the year before when I left for Pittsburgh, I think it snowed a little bit around here but it was still nice out :P. Helena is at the foothills of the Rocky Mountain front, you never know how the weather will change because of them big ole rocks. It's not uncommon to see a swing in temperature of 80 degrees within 12 hours.

Those events were in October. I maybe wrong, and don't like it much, but my understanding is that some people want GCF to take place in September, going forward. I haven't heard anything official.

Weather :D You have to be flexible and like surprises :D When I drove down to SLC for GCF it was a raging blizzard but it mostly melted the next day and the year before when I left for Pittsburgh, I think it snowed a little bit around here but it was still nice out :D. Helena is at the foothills of the Rocky Mountain front, you never know how the weather will change because of them big ole rocks. It's not uncommon to see a swing in temperature of 80 degrees within 12 hours.

Those events were in October. I maybe wrong, and don't like it much, but my understanding is that some people want GCF to take place in September, going forward. I haven't heard anything official.

Wasn't SLC in Sept last year? You're right, Pburgh was in Oct. Either way, it can and has snowed every month of the year :lol: I remember it snowed on Sept. 3rd in 1998 in Great Falls when I lived there. It was so green and then it got cold and snowed 1 day and everything lost their leaves and flowers the very next day. I'm pretty sure there won't be an ice-age going into effect that weekend :P Unless of course "The Day After Tomorrow" really does happen and hopefully Dennis Quaid will be around to warn us :grin:

The weather and airport vacinity would probably be the key negatives (aside from having the money to attend at that time). Might have to propose moving the date up by a month to avoid snow storms if you're seriously considering making a bid.

The good news is we got electricity in Montana now so no more woodstoves for our only source of heat, lol. Seriously, weather in September isn't bad here. Most of the time I'm in shorts and a t-shirt at the Griz games.

Airports, yes, that is a little more tricky but that shouldn't hinder anyone, there's Great Falls, Missoula and Bozeman that have plenty of options too and it's anywhere from an hour and a half to 2 hours at most drive to Helena. YOu can cache along the way and it's gorgeous scenery :lol:

Weather :D You have to be flexible and like surprises :D When I drove down to SLC for GCF it was a raging blizzard but it mostly melted the next day and the year before when I left for Pittsburgh, I think it snowed a little bit around here but it was still nice out :D. Helena is at the foothills of the Rocky Mountain front, you never know how the weather will change because of them big ole rocks. It's not uncommon to see a swing in temperature of 80 degrees within 12 hours.

Wasn't SLC in Sept last year? You're right, Pburgh was in Oct. Either way, it can and has snowed every month of the year :lol: I remember it snowed on Sept. 3rd in 1998 in Great Falls when I lived there. It was so green and then it got cold and snowed 1 day and everything lost their leaves and flowers the very next day. I'm pretty sure there won't be an ice-age going into effect that weekend :P Unless of course "The Day After Tomorrow" really does happen and hopefully Dennis Quaid will be around to warn us :grin:

No, it was October. They only changed it this year because so many coiners want to host 101010 events.

Plus, I remember hitting Lima, MT, and driving back to SLC on my birthday! I do know that that major event takes place in October.

Edited by MustangJoni

The weather and airport vacinity would probably be the key negatives (aside from having the money to attend at that time). Might have to propose moving the date up by a month to avoid snow storms if you're seriously considering making a bid.

The good news is we got electricity in Montana now so no more woodstoves for our only source of heat, lol. Seriously, weather in September isn't bad here. Most of the time I'm in shorts and a t-shirt at the Griz games.

Airports, yes, that is a little more tricky but that shouldn't hinder anyone, there's Great Falls, Missoula and Bozeman that have plenty of options too and it's anywhere from an hour and a half to 2 hours at most drive to Helena. YOu can cache along the way and it's gorgeous scenery :lol:

Part of this is from a committee member perspective. One requirement is proximity to a major airport. Ideally less than 1 hour drive time. Weather messes with flights but also matters to people who cannot drive in the snow and ice. These are just things to really consider, thats all.

Weather :grin: You have to be flexible and like surprises :D When I drove down to SLC for GCF it was a raging blizzard but it mostly melted the next day and the year before when I left for Pittsburgh, I think it snowed a little bit around here but it was still nice out :D. Helena is at the foothills of the Rocky Mountain front, you never know how the weather will change because of them big ole rocks. It's not uncommon to see a swing in temperature of 80 degrees within 12 hours.

Wasn't SLC in Sept last year? You're right, Pburgh was in Oct. Either way, it can and has snowed every month of the year :lol: I remember it snowed on Sept. 3rd in 1998 in Great Falls when I lived there. It was so green and then it got cold and snowed 1 day and everything lost their leaves and flowers the very next day. I'm pretty sure there won't be an ice-age going into effect that weekend :D Unless of course "The Day After Tomorrow" really does happen and hopefully Dennis Quaid will be around to warn us :grin:

No, it was October. They only changed it this year because so many coiners want to host 101010 events.

Plus, I remember hitting Lima, MT, and driving back to SLC on my birthday! I do know that that major event takes place in October.

Lol....I remember you "thinking" it was a snowstorm, lol. That was just a skiff :P Ok, so maybe another Sept. if enough interest is garnered (just to be on the safe side).

I would definately come IF and only IF I could see Montana and all it's beauty (and your hike til it hurts caches) without snow all over the ground! :P

... My wife's family is in S. Dakota and I have family in Kalispell Montana, which we have visited with 3 times in the past few years. Each time there has been 6-8-10 inches of snow on the ground and not alot of fun for a tropical climate guy like myself. I tease my wife all the time that Glacier park and Mount Rushmore are fictitious places that only exsist in books! :lol: she has promised me that our next trip to your part of the world would be during a time when I can do and see more than snow! I've been hinting about Sturgis for bike week, but I'd come for GCF if it wasn't snowing everywhere I wanted to go!

:D

Weather :grin: You have to be flexible and like surprises :D When I drove down to SLC for GCF it was a raging blizzard but it mostly melted the next day and the year before when I left for Pittsburgh, I think it snowed a little bit around here but it was still nice out :D. Helena is at the foothills of the Rocky Mountain front, you never know how the weather will change because of them big ole rocks. It's not uncommon to see a swing in temperature of 80 degrees within 12 hours.

Wasn't SLC in Sept last year? You're right, Pburgh was in Oct. Either way, it can and has snowed every month of the year :lol: I remember it snowed on Sept. 3rd in 1998 in Great Falls when I lived there. It was so green and then it got cold and snowed 1 day and everything lost their leaves and flowers the very next day. I'm pretty sure there won't be an ice-age going into effect that weekend :D Unless of course "The Day After Tomorrow" really does happen and hopefully Dennis Quaid will be around to warn us :grin:

Lol....I remember you "thinking" it was a snowstorm, lol. That was just a skiff :P Ok, so maybe another Sept. if enough interest is garnered (just to be on the safe side).

Shadow's Friend and I are interested in attending . And what's a little snow, It just mean you do not need a GPS to find a cahce.

Part of this is from a committee member perspective. One requirement is proximity to a major airport. Ideally less than 1 hour drive time. Weather messes with flights but also matters to people who cannot drive in the snow and ice. These are just things to really consider, thats all.

Can you give me a better idea of what you mean by "major" airport? If you're talking about the size of SLC, Denver, Minneapolis, than I guess MT can't run with them big dogs. However there are enough flights coming in and out of Helena and surrounding airports to get people here and home. I've never seen the airport shutdown due to weather here even in the nastiest of storms since MT is prepared for those types of events. Anyhow, if the reason for not allowing MT to host is because of airport issues, than so be it, that's out of my control.

I would love to have a reason to return to Montana. Was once there for a wedding. Flew in to Bozeman and the wedding was in Livingston. Some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. It was also the first time I went Prairie Dog hunting and was passed by a tumbleweed while walking down the street. LOL

I would definately come IF and only IF I could see Montana and all it's beauty (and your hike til it hurts caches) without snow all over the ground! :grin:

... My wife's family is in S. Dakota and I have family in Kalispell Montana, which we have visited with 3 times in the past few years. Each time there has been 6-8-10 inches of snow on the ground and not alot of fun for a tropical climate guy like myself. I tease my wife all the time that Glacier park and Mount Rushmore are fictitious places that only exsist in books! :lol: she has promised me that our next trip to your part of the world would be during a time when I can do and see more than snow! I've been hinting about Sturgis for bike week, but I'd come for GCF if it wasn't snowing everywhere I wanted to go!

:grin:

Glacier Park has snow all year round :P There is a reason they call it GLACIER park, lol. I can't promise you no snow here. If you can promise me no hot weather in Florida for GCF if you win the bid, I promise, I'll come down :D I can't function in that hot, humid stuff :D September is almost always a perfect weather month here :D I guess this is where we'll separate the men from the boys :grin:

I'd be game as an attendee and vendor. My son will be 4.5 in 2012, should be about time for him to road trip with me :lol:. Airports not a high priority since I'd probably be driving (2 states away). The only thing I see going against ya is Utah, Montana and Minnesota are located in a North-Westerly area of the country...in other words...if GCF 2011 was in an eastern state of some sort that would be a good thing for Montana in 2012!

4. Free nutella for everyone :D

15. Close to Canada, we speak Canadian :P

wow free nutella

but did you speak french canadian :lol:

its a great place for a photographer.

and only 3593,9 km from my home.

wait to find a safari condo or a new west to putt my will attend.

Edited by mickebush77

Can you give me a better idea of what you mean by "major" airport? If you're talking about the size of SLC, Denver, Minneapolis, than I guess MT can't run with them big dogs. However there are enough flights coming in and out of Helena and surrounding airports to get people here and home. I've never seen the airport shutdown due to weather here even in the nastiest of storms since MT is prepared for those types of events. Anyhow, if the reason for not allowing MT to host is because of airport issues, than so be it, that's out of my control.

I don't think I said anything about being not allowed to host. So not sure where you got that from. I was merely pointing out some requirements and things that should be considered. It's all fine and dandy to name a spot, but there's other things that factor into this as well.

Also, I don't think a vendor is allowed to spearhead GCF - or at least they weren't in the past. So you would have to have a local group of cachers, which I believe you can be a member of, but again not absolutely sure. I'm sure all the bid requirements are listed here somewhere, probably the 2011 thread.

EDIT ADDED

Well I found the other thread finally. Not as much info in there as I originally thought. I think I would email Mark for a requirements "cheat sheet" if you're serious about this.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Count me in :( I would attend and make it a vacation trip with Canyon Jeeper (hubby) and Johnthesalty (son). We would drive from Florida and stay at least a week to get in some hiking, caching and sightseeing. Maybe even find one of those beautiful Cowgirl coins :unsure:

Well I would be in too!!! I live close to the border and speak-a good Canadian too - EH!!! I'm up in Kalispell so definately would be an event not to miss. I wouldn't mind helping out a little either.

If our northern neighbors pass through Kalispell (or anyone coming through) with an RV, TT or Camper, I have room on my property to set up base at if you want to explore around Norhtern Montana for a day or two.

MONTANA 2012 or BUST!!!! :unsure::(

I'm down with Montana. I've always wanted to visit. Where I'll be in 2012, I have no idea, but if I can make it there, I'd be delighted to visit your state, Nutella or no. : )

Edited to add: if it turns out that I am available, and provided I'm still doing Geocoins then, I'd be delighted to commit some time as a vendor/speaker, or run a workshop or two there.

Edited by Jackalgirl

I'd be game as an attendee and vendor. My son will be 4.5 in 2012, should be about time for him to road trip with me :unsure:. Airports not a high priority since I'd probably be driving (2 states away). The only thing I see going against ya is Utah, Montana and Minnesota are located in a North-Westerly area of the country...in other words...if GCF 2011 was in an eastern state of some sort that would be a good thing for Montana in 2012!

Haha, Two VERY long states...and then almost all the way across MT too.

BTW...since I'm not local I guess I couldn't help too much with the planning(unless from long distance), but would certainly be willing to be a volunteer on the event weekend.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I would be in.

Can we hear from the coasts, most everyone who has responded lives only a couple states away! :unsure:

I've already got MT checked off my cache list and with all that hay dust on them cowboys and cowgirls would just make me sneeze... besides they wear all that horse poop on their boots - ewwww. But the free nutella and the chance to rub elbows with the tsun again is a big draw (can you teach me Canadian, please? hey?) along with heiny burning caches, gotta work off all that nutella somehow. So I'm in and would love to include a run to Sturgis, without all the noisy bikes, and the black hills... err, I mean JellyStone - all you northern midwest states look alike.

2012 is a ways off, but if the vacation time is available and i can find an affordable flight, i'd love to go back to Montana, probably take at least a week off and make a vacation of it :(

Edit to add: I agree with the September sentiment :unsure: Snowstorms scare me!

Edited by ThirstyMick

I would definately come IF and only IF I could see Montana and all it's beauty (and your hike til it hurts caches) without snow all over the ground! B)

... My wife's family is in S. Dakota and I have family in Kalispell Montana, which we have visited with 3 times in the past few years. Each time there has been 6-8-10 inches of snow on the ground and not alot of fun for a tropical climate guy like myself. I tease my wife all the time that Glacier park and Mount Rushmore are fictitious places that only exsist in books! :( she has promised me that our next trip to your part of the world would be during a time when I can do and see more than snow! I've been hinting about Sturgis for bike week, but I'd come for GCF if it wasn't snowing everywhere I wanted to go!

B)

Glacier Park has snow all year round :( There is a reason they call it GLACIER park, lol. I can't promise you no snow here. If you can promise me no hot weather in Florida for GCF if you win the bid, I promise, I'll come down :P I can't function in that hot, humid stuff :grin: September is almost always a perfect weather month here B) I guess this is where we'll separate the men from the boys :D

:unsure: Call me a boy if you must, I've been called worse... I once drove a semi with 30,000 lb of steer in it through a whiteout coming from Abaline to Sioux Falls... worst trip of my life... very horrifying to lose all sense of direction in this type snow for someone that only visits snow every few years... thus I've developed a STRONG fear of ending up in a snowbank and not being found until the spring thaw. I can think of at least a million other ways I'd rather kick the bucket instead of freezing to death! ;) September is as late as I'd care to visit, July or August sound even better! B)