Geocoinfest 2012 Montana ? Please post!

tsunrisebey

Alright :D Lots of Canadians and Alaskans, that's my kind of crowd :(

So, I guess I wouldn't be able to vendor but I can totally live with that. Maybe no one will put in for 2012 stateside and Montana will win by default, lol.

Thanks for posting all, least I can see there is interest!

tsun

Can we have strawberries and bananas for that Nutella? My "men" love it with the former and I'm partial to the later.

Seriously, Montana has always been on my short list of places I'd love to visit. I'd love to believe that by then we would be able to afford it, but right now I can't even figure out how to go visit my Dad who just spent 3 days in the hospital. However I'm an optimist and we do have plenty of time so let’s just say the 3 of us will be there and worry about how later.

Anybody else??

You know there's more people who secretly want to post but won't B)

I decided what barn we could have it in (and you think I'm kidding about that, lol). I'm thinking hay bales and wooden crates for trading tables/chairs. After the geocoin poker, we're gonna have a "hoedown" (not ho down, lol). The barn will be like walking into an old time saloon :cool: I'm telling ya, it will be a heckuva Montana party :D

Ya'll can google the Kleffner Ranch in Helena, Montana to check out the barn facilities :lol:

AG and avroair are probably thinking; "I hope she's not serious about this"..... :D

tsun

Anybody else??

You know there's more people who secretly want to post but won't :D

I decided what barn we could have it in (and you think I'm kidding about that, lol). I'm thinking hay bales and wooden crates for trading tables/chairs. After the geocoin poker, we're gonna have a "hoedown" (not ho down, lol). The barn will be like walking into an old time saloon :D I'm telling ya, it will be a heckuva Montana party :D

Ya'll can google the Kleffner Ranch in Helena, Montana to check out the barn facilities :sad:

AG and avroair are probably thinking; "I hope she's not serious about this"..... :ph34r:

tsun

That sounds like a blast...will there be a Chili Cookoff too?

Anybody else??

You know there's more people who secretly want to post but won't :D

I decided what barn we could have it in (and you think I'm kidding about that, lol). I'm thinking hay bales and wooden crates for trading tables/chairs. After the geocoin poker, we're gonna have a "hoedown" (not ho down, lol). The barn will be like walking into an old time saloon :lol: I'm telling ya, it will be a heckuva Montana party :D

Ya'll can google the Kleffner Ranch in Helena, Montana to check out the barn facilities :D

AG and avroair are probably thinking; "I hope she's not serious about this"..... :ph34r:

tsun

That sounds like a blast...will there be a Chili Cookoff too?

Hmmmm, it's either a Friday night chili cookoff or a Campfire night with nutella smores at the tsun ranch :sad: I prefer campfires but you can bring chili :lol:

On second thought, maybe I outta just skip the idea of GCF in Montana and just make it a big ole Montana geoparty. I did talk about hosting a Georodeo a year or 2 back :D

Alright :D Lots of Canadians and Alaskans, that's my kind of crowd :)

So, I guess I wouldn't be able to vendor but I can totally live with that. Maybe no one will put in for 2012 stateside and Montana will win by default, lol.

Thanks for posting all, least I can see there is interest!

tsun

I'd definitely give it my consideration over a lot of other places for a number of reasons. I'm an Alaskan and a number of my family live in Montana so it's a no brainer on that account. The fact that I've hiked and cached here has totally changed me though. It's one of the most beautiful and sometimes otherworldly places I've cached and I'd jump at the chance to combine it with a big event ;)

<<bump>> Any updates to this? I could post on our local Calgary forums if it's in the works.

2012 is a long way off, I know. However there is a reason I'm taking this poll as I would like to see Montana receive some serious consideration in the bidding process and see if it's even worth my time working towards a proposal.

<snip>

I realize some of you didn't even know Montana was a state until I posted this and some of you probably don't know where it's even located on the map. We're below Alberta, to the east of Idaho and west of North/South Dakota. We're the 4th largest state and it's really tough to complete the Delorme challenge :lol:

2. Close to Glacier National Park

5. Mountains

8. Ghost towns

10. Lots of wildlife; elk, moose, Griz, Mountain goats, bald eagles, etc.

15. Close to Canada, we speak Canadian :D

Thanks!

tsun

Let's see, less than 7 hour drive from Calgary? Count me in.

Glacier Park? You mean the one under Waterton? :lol:

mountains? ghost towns? wildlife? close to Canada... can't get any better

(funny side story, I was in Florida in February when some locals asked where we were from. Told them Alberta (insert blank stare), told them just above Montana (blank stare continues). Still trying to be polite, I say east of Washington state. At this point they give an unconvincing nod and a quick, 'oh yeah, I know where that is...')

Can we Say ROADTRIP!!

you know it!

I would definately come IF and only IF I could see Montana and all it's beauty (and your hike til it hurts caches) without snow all over the ground! :P

Some of the beauty is the snow. Although, in the latter half of this April, I'm ready for it to melt and for Spring to make an appearance.

Roadtrip!!! We would be in. I can see another CONVOY from Calgary down for this event.

Of all people I know, I thought of you first TC! Let's hid the road again.

We'd be in. Calgary CONVOY for sure!

Woohoo, what did we have at GW VIII? about a dozen vehicles? We should be able to top that next time.

We'd like to attend GCF 2012 in Montana as VENDORS.

We are tentatively planning to go to the 1st International EarthCache Event which is being in Portland, Maine on 2 Sept 2012. It might be an idea to choose a date well away from Labour Day weekend.

Early October (like the Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend) would be nice! That's a sure fire way to have more of your Canadian friends attend too since they're getting Monday off anyways!

Can we add some turkey and all the Thanksgiving fixin's to the hoe down :P ?

Count us in for 2 plus the dog. I hope this will be a canine friendly event since you're hosting it :laughing: .

Joe of Joensue .... if you post that you'll come to MT for GCF, I promise to take you to my secret spot on the Blackfoot river for some flyfishing B) If you're lucky, you can use a Hopper and catch yourself a sweet Brown :D

I'm There...... B)

f8155664-8763-4499-a359-4eee56f9181d.jpg

Edited by JoenSue

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I'm pretty sure GCF 2012 is in Vegas.

There were bids and they won? :huh: Where is the thread? Is there a date? :blink:

I am looking at the feasibility of Las Vegas. Nothing is confirmed, it's an idea I am pursuing. I brought up the location with a couple of the past committee members. The information was not supposed to be public since GCF 2011 hasn't even occurred yet.

I'm taking this poll as I would like to see Montana receive some serious consideration in the bidding process and see if it's even worth my time working towards a proposal.

I am running this thread for a reason, I kind of have to prove that people would consider coming here for the event so they will take me seriously.

Thanks!

tsun

The thread was started by the OP to gauge interest in a GCF in Montana. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I'm pretty sure GCF 2012 is in Vegas.

There were bids and they won? :huh: Where is the thread? Is there a date? :blink:

I am looking at the feasibility of Las Vegas. Nothing is confirmed, it's an idea I am pursuing. I brought up the location with a couple of the past committee members. The information was not supposed to be public since GCF 2011 hasn't even occurred yet.

You never stated it wasn't public or even a secret for that matter. In fact you brought it up SEVERAL times over the last few months, and also said you had recruited help. Of course it's not set in stone, but it's pretty probable.

I don't see what editing my post matters since it's been quoted.

You never stated it wasn't public or even a secret for that matter. In fact you brought it up SEVERAL times over the last few months, and also said you had recruited help. Of course it's not set in stone, but it's pretty probable.

I don't see what editing my post matters since it's been quoted.

I specifically told you not to share the information, the fact I brought it up more than once has nothing to do with keeping quiet about it. And yes, no point in editing anything now since the whole forum has emailed me and knows. Moving on from this.

Yes: I am exploring 3-4 cities for GCF 2012 (including Las Vegas, New Orleans, Chicago and Philadelphia)

No: People in the above cities have not been in contact with me, I am exploring the ideas, and doing research

Yes: I am still looking for future locations and bids

This topic is about gauging interest in going to Montana for GCF 2012, back on topic...

Having a geocoinfest in Montana would be alot of fun. Skip Labor day weekend though, that conflicts with other events... But October is a great time to visit.

Even better, for those who want to go geocaching, the Cache Across America - Montana is right outside of Helena and is a really nice hike that leads to a tough scramble up a hill.

Would be nice to have it somewhere other than a huge city.

Jen

Well I gave myself some time to think about what has been posted here and I've got a few things I'd like to say. For those who have been around here for a number of years, you're used to me speaking my mind and being vocal, so this won't be a surprise to a number of you.

Please take this post for what it is which is only my feelings on this subject. I base what I am about to say on the fact that I've been a coiner since 2006, I have been an active member on these threads for just about as long, I've been a small-time vendor who has managed to buck the odds and not go belly-up or cheat people and I have given to this community every single year in ways seen and not seen. I think I've earned enough respect here (like me or not) to make what I say pertinent.

I've been to GCF - Pittsburgh, GCF - SLC, and GCF - Minneapolis. For each of those events, I helped raised funds and donated items to help the event because I can only imagine how stressful and costly an event like that is to organize. I always brought a tsun version of a coin with me which I have always given out freely, never even had to trade me if you didn't have a coin. I knew doing something special like that is appreciated by fellow coiners and makes for great memories. I left my personal coins and commercial coins in caches knowing what a pleasure it would be for people to find. So I'd like to think I've done my part and earned my stipes as far as GCF goes.

Most everyone knows how much I love Montana. I realize we're not exactly the hub of modern technology on a large scale like the big cities are. We're a little more unique and in my opinion that can be a big draw. Based on what I already know which I won't go into here and from what I saw posted, I'm 99% sure my bid was never going to be taken seriously. There is a bias against what some people seem to think Montana can and can't do. Sure it's easy to find a reason not to consider Montana for hosting; it might snow, it might be cold, we don't have big airports, we're rural, it's expensive to fly there, there are grizzly bears, elevation is above sea level <_< , there might be a forest fire, tsun won't have nutella, whatever. Come on you guys, open your minds and quit being so selfish and self-serving.

Let's mix it up a bit, let's get some fresh air, fresh caching perspective, let's have some good ole' country fun. You can't hack a country like atmosphere? Well don't come. I have put up with what I consider big-city events every single time. I'm uncomfortable in that environment, hate to drive in it and hate to cache in it yet I still support them and show up. I may whine a little but hey who doesn't? So what can we offer that a big city can't? Fresh air, big spaces, big caches, friendly people, you want to talk about an outdoor playground? Montana is just that. People this is outdoor adventure paradise (unless of course it's a blizzard out). We've got a ski resort in every single town in Western Monatana, some places we have several. We've got blue-ribbon fishing, we have the 2 most popular National Parks within a few hours driving distance. There's hiking galore, Cowboy and Indian culture, plenty of caching in town or in the mountains. Cross Canada off your map too. I can't even begin to describe the opportunities for adventure coiners and cachers would have if GCF was held in MT. People, tsun would be your main host :D

I know this might be a little more spendy than some would like but you know what, I keep traveling to these far-away events and I'm not well-off by any means. Canada, ND, SD, UT, WA, ID, WY, MN, OR are all places that don't need to fly, they can drive if they want. I think the flying/airport excuse is over-rated. This would be a great once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for people to get up this way and I think the support is there. Unfortunately I think you (members of the committee but maybe not all) are closing your minds to certain locations for biased reasons. Please don't insult my intelligence by saying you're not.

I'm extremely disappointed in what I've read and what seems to be taking place. Fact is I've been around here long enough, I know how things work. I've heard it at events and seen it in email exchanges so any attempt to address this post with "your bid to host is as good as anyone else's" doesn't fool me.

I'll even go one step further and be completely honest since I want people to know where I'm coming from. When I read the latest, a piece of me wanted to boycott all future GCF's, just not attend because of how this little game is played. I also had it go through my mind that I'm not going to bother sponsoring the event, nor raise funds and just concentrate on finding other events to attend. Yet the other half of me thinks it's not fair to punish the new hosts because of the actions of a few. Of course the negative thought process is driven by anger and disappointment but it passes and the compassionate side usually overpowers and compels me to do the right thing. So I will continue to support donations to the event no matter where the event is held because I feel that is important.

At this point, I'm highly considering going rogue in 2012 and hosting a geocoin event anyhow. No one says there can't be more than one giant geocoin event. The way I see it now is there are catalysts in life that force you to rethink things. No one should have the monopoly on specific events and when people get tired some take steps to make changes. I think I see myself taking a step to change the geocoin event world. Give us a little more choice if you will.

Take this for what it's worth, just one person expressing her thoughts, insights and feelings. In my opinion it takes a set of cajones to come forward and be honest like this especially being a small-time vendor. I always run the risk of alienating people because I stood up for myself where many people/vendors would never take the risk.

I guess that's it. Looking forward to seeing what opportunity life will present :D

Respectfully,

tsun

I really wish that I could Tsun... :) Maybe one of these days when I'm finished with school I will be able to take a cross-country drive out to Montana and Wyoming and Colorado like I've been wanting to forever. School and Work are just standing in my way right now... but some day soon I will make it out there. So, if your bid doesn't go through this year or next... sign me up in 3 years or so :D Otherwise, I hope everybody else enjoys their adventure!

I love the way you post from the heart Tsun :) .

I'm pretty sure when we brought up the idea of bringing GCF to Canada's west coast we were told to find others who would organize and host it because as coin vendors we were ineligible under the criteria at that time.

Has that 'rule' changed?

Sincerely,

Helen (more a country girl than a city chick)

At this point, I'm highly considering going rogue in 2012 and hosting a geocoin event anyhow. No one says there can't be more than one giant geocoin event. The way I see it now is there are catalysts in life that force you to rethink things. No one should have the monopoly on specific events and when people get tired some take steps to make changes. I think I see myself taking a step to change the geocoin event world. Give us a little more choice if you will.

Take this for what it's worth, just one person expressing her thoughts, insights and feelings. In my opinion it takes a set of cajones to come forward and be honest like this especially being a small-time vendor. I always run the risk of alienating people because I stood up for myself where many people/vendors would never take the risk.

Collective energy can do amazing things. GCF needs vendors and so perhaps if the vendors spoke up and said where they'd like to take their shop in 2012, you'd see a bit more support. Alternatively, going rogue with you in 2012 wouldn't be an entirely bad thing :anibad::laughing: .

I read your post and it first it bothered me but I gave it some time so I wouldn't rant at your rant and not provide any information.

First let me say I appreciate the kind help and generousity you give people who host Geocoinfest and the geocoin community as a whole. GCF is a huge responsibility and undertaking which I am sure all the people who have stepped forward and hosted one can attest to. I so much so that three people have flat out told me they never would to do it again. Insurance, security, A/V,

reservations, merchandise, vending, permits, fire-codes, volunteers and a myriad of other things to consider.

Geocoinfest was born from an idea I had back in 2006 for an event to bring vendors, coiners and people curious in geocoins together. It almost faltered before it started with an over zealous reviewer tried to take the focus off coins and wanted to charge entry fees of $600 a person! After Cornerstone4 volunteered to host the location, I continued it's legacy by default since everyone else took three steps back. I made it a priority to have as many qualified people as possible (previous hosts) who were not vendors (conflict of interest) evaluate locations and bids. Each year members of the hosting committee are asked to help pick future locations. Many people were sad they couldn't attend such an exotic location as Temecula Valley, so local multi-events were decided upon. There are currently 11 people who do so (sad to say one person died, two declined and three are no longer interested in coins).

So by making a broad acusation that the group doesn't seriously consider all the bids is a mistake:

Come on you guys, open your minds and quit being so selfish and self-serving.

We look at things closely and carefully.

Based on what I already know which I won't go into here and from what I saw posted, I'm 99% sure my bid was never going to be taken seriously

These accusations at the very least are unfair. Six other commitee members (including myself) have actually posted in the thread and said positive things about holding a Big Sky event. Does that mean "yes, let's go" --- no it doesn't. But it also doesn't mean it wouldn't be taken seriously.

This thread was created to guage interest, then dropped off as the OP took an 8 month hiatus. Then wonders why things have moved forward in your absence. Which I will address why lower in the post.

This isn't a vanity project, it's a year long commitment to put together a huge event. The commitee make the decisions because they care about geocoins, the hobby and coiners. I am passionate about keeping the event a Mega and holding a great event each year, if that's wrong then I guess I shouldn't run events. Another aspect of these events is how fun they are to attend, sucking the fun out of them... well, I'm not interested.

The GCF committee members have taken all the bids very seriously going so far as to call airports to see when renovations would be finished in time etc. And to pick a destination that has a wide appeal to most geocoin collectors. I take no fun telling someone that their bid was not picked.

Last year we received two bids. One from a non-coiner who was willing to learn and one from a vendor which is a direct conflict of interest, which other vendors are so quick to point out each time it happens. So the location options were limited. I think 2011 will be a great event. In the absence of any genuine interest I decided to start a preliminary task of researching cities and locations which will have a wide appeal for next year. I broached the subject with a few of the comittee members to gauge the reactions. When I was ready, I wanted to present my ideas to the forums for further discussion (seems I was pre-empted on this). I am also working on a locational website, which also isn't ready.

I would like to reduce the costs to vendors and host a quality event for attendees (many of whom are not coin people) and have a good time. And yes, I've planned a bunch of events so I'd like to think I've done my part and earned my stipes as far as running events effciently and GCF goes.

I am moving on from this. There is no conspiracy, no monopoly (I haven't made a dime from Geocoinfest events). I am not one much for politics, but rather to just have a good time. I appreciate your emotional candor but I do think that you dimissed things at first glance.

I think the flying/airport excuse is over-rated.
For me Helena is 11 hours away... which would be hell with a 3 year old in the car (not to mention 1000 miles and $160 in gas)! I think I will fly. If you would like to host an event, I think it's a great idea. I think you would be a warm and fantastic host and I would love to attend. Maybe even donate a few coins for the cause. :ph34r: There aren't enough coin events as it is. I am sorry if you feel the way you do and you said the things you said. You say you were being honest and so am I.

Mostest respectfully,

Mark

Avroair

Edited for bad grammar

Edited by avroair

Joe of Joensue .... if you post that you'll come to MT for GCF, I promise to take you to my secret spot on the Blackfoot river for some flyfishing B) If you're lucky, you can use a Hopper and catch yourself a sweet Brown :D

I'm There...... B)

referring (of course) to the pic above::

may I join you next time

:D :D :D :D :D

Edited by Pastor_B

I'm There...... B)

may I join you next time

Certainly :D but be forewarned ... only tsun Nutella, spread just the right way on a hopper, works with these browns....she wont give up the secret easily :ph34r:

GCFF .... hows' about Montana's Rogue Geocoinfishingfest..? :P

I'm There...... B)

may I join you next time

Certainly :D but be forewarned ... only tsun Nutella, spread just the right way on a hopper, works with these browns....she wont give up the secret easily :ph34r:

GCFF .... hows' about Montana's Rogue Geocoinfishingfest..? :P

Maybe I'll offer my River Guide services for a small fee, lol. Tsun's Rogue River Adventures. BYOR&F (Bring your own Rod & Flies). Load up on Elk hair caddis and Royal Wolfs. Don't forget your Gink either ;)