5 mile and 10 mile records?

PopUpPirate

If you click on a cache, then view Other Caches Nearby, each page has 20 caches on it. So, by the end of page 10, you are 200 caches away.

It's Spitting once said that Rivington was the caching epicentre, jokingly, but is it true?

From the Rivington Pike cache, there are 248 caches within 5 miles, and 654 within 10 miles. :blink:

What are the UK 5 and 10 mile records?

Edited by PopUpPirate

If you click on a cache, then view Other Caches Nearby, each page has 20 caches on it. So, by the end of page 10, you are 200 caches away.

It's Spitting once said that Rivington was the caching epicentre, jokingly, but is it true?

From the Rivington Pike cache, there are 248 caches within 5 miles, and 654 within 10 miles. :blink:

I don't know but I bet Oxford is in the top 5!

It's not quite so much fun since TheHoomer removed all the Route Canal series....

I never did get past the first one of those (the towpath was flooded the day I went!)

From the Rivington Pike cache, there are 248 caches within 5 miles, and 654 within 10 miles. :o

Not any more, Oxford has got left well behind [:blink:].

Come on all you new Oxford cachers out there, get some more placed for us to find [:o].

Not fully accurate (my archive stats are 2mths out of date)

latitude longitude count(*)

51.5 -0.1 140

53.6 -2.6 111

53.5 -2.6 100

53.6 -2.3 99

51.5 -0.3 97

56.4 -3.4 87

51.5 -0.2 83

55.9 -3.2 80

53.8 -1.9 78

51.8 -1.3 77

51.3 -0.2 73

51.8 -1.2 71

52.2 -0.9 69

51.2 -0.4 69

51.8 -0.6 65

53.7 -2.6 65

51.2 -0.3 65

53.6 -2.5 64

53.5 -2.0 63

52.0 -0.8 62

From the Rivington Pike cache, there are 248 caches within 5 miles, and 654 within 10 miles. :o

Not any more, Oxford has got left well behind [:o].

Come on all you new Oxford cachers out there, get some more placed for us to find [:blink:].

And you people in Cambridge too as I fancy another weekend away! :o

If someone has a full UK GSAK database, the program called "cachecluster" (or similar) should be able to do that.

Giving it ago with GSAKs built in facility. I'll let you know the results around Christmas time B), not sure which year though :D

BTW, anyone got a super-computer that I can borrow :laughing::laughing::blink:

Computer was still chuntering away to itself this morning B) , but hopefully it will have finished when I get home :D so I can start it off looking for the top 10 mile clusters :D .

I did do a quick(ish) test on caches within 20 miles of Oxford and it did seem to work quite well.

Frommy home co-ords

within 5 miles 5 (4 of which I placed)

within 10 mile 19 (thats including those 1st 5 cos i'm desperate for the numbers)

I don't think cache saturation is an issue round here.

You're lucky!

Within 5 miles: 5 - 3 of mine

Within 10 miles: 10 - 5 of mine

:blink:

You could always come back the Beds, Bucks, Herts border-land.... There's more rubbish rural microcaches than you can shake a stick at :laughing::laughing:

From my home co-ords, 5 miles = 98 caches and 10 miles = 362 caches, so not as dense as I thought and plenty of room for some more rubbish rural micros round the area of Luton :laughing:

I can just beat the first one as I have 99 within 5 miles of my home co-ords [Horsham, West Sussex], but only 308 within 10 miles, so you win that one! ;-)

Regards,

Martin

If someone has a full UK GSAK database, the program called "cachecluster" (or similar) should be able to do that.

Giving it ago with GSAKs built in facility. I'll let you know the results around Christmas time :D, not sure which year though :D

BTW, anyone got a super-computer that I can borrow :anibad::ph34r::wub:

Computer was still chuntering away to itself this morning :P , but hopefully it will have finished when I get home ;) so I can start it off looking for the top 10 mile clusters :D .

I did do a quick(ish) test on caches within 20 miles of Oxford and it did seem to work quite well.

Running for about 24 hours and 75% complete and GSAK crashes :D:D , I suppose my mediocre PC was just not up to the job.

I give in, for now at least.

Not any more, Oxford has got left well behind [:ph34r:].

Come on all you new Oxford cachers out there, get some more placed for us to find [:wub:].

Well after the failure of GSAK :anibad: I have just done a quick check on Oxford, and from our home we have 125 within 5 miles and 343 within 10 miles. So surprisingly (to me anyway) it would appear that Oxford is still not doing too bad on the cache density. Plenty of room for a few more though ;)