Who Trades More Than Buys?

Hula Bum

With all this re-minting stuff going on I'm really starting to wonder if trading is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

2.-Do you trade more than you buy?

3.-Will you trade trackable for non-trackable or are you trading for the icon?

Due to the commercilization of coins I stick pretty much to trading, of course every once in awhile one sticks out and scream buy me!!

I could care less about the icon, I trade for the coin. I think tracking is a waste of money!!!

I'm just getting started collection (about 30 coins so far). Since I haven't minted any of mine own yet, the only way I have tradeables is if I buy an extra or two. So now just about anything that comes out that I like, I buy 3 (1 to keep, 1 to trade, 1 to possibly place in cache).

I'm assuming all the trading is mostly because people minted their own, giving them a bunch extra to trade (or to at least build up their stock?)

Seperate question - it seems most don't activate coins. But if you don't, how can you see the icon in your inventory? Am I missing something?

With all this re-minting stuff going on I'm really starting to wonder if trading is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1. Yes

2. No, probably not. I've got about 150 trade coins in my trade bag right now :anibad:

3. Yes, I have. I care about the coin, not the trackability.

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1. Yes

2. No, probably not. I've got about 150 trade coins in my trade bag right now :anibad:

Ditto

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1) A lot

2) Oh, yeah

3) Yup. It's always about the coin for me.

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1) Yes, but I am just getting started.

2) No, I have bought more than I have traded. I am building a base so that I can hopefully change this trend to the other direction.

3) I have traded for non-trackable, but this is rare for me. I like to activate my coins for the icon.

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1. Yes

2. So far no.

3. Yes.

I have purchased a few hundred geocoins lately so I have a stock of traders, and now I have come to the end of my buying spree so who wants to trade. What is the best place to build a trader/seeking list? I have purchased so many for the fact that the older desireable ones require 2-3 for 1 trades and I am willing if I like the coin. This is why minting quantities mean something to me. I can buy any minted in the 1000 range but I have to trade for the ones minted in the 200 range if I don't get in on the initial purchase.

....Do I need to point you to a profile so you can ask???

I didn't think of that. Good point. My first coin in my profile was finally added when I actually found one in a cache. Just bout 3 weeks ago.

To answer the qeustions.

I have traded, but don't now. Now it's just buying. When I did it was for a coin that I wanted that I didn't have. That doesn't have anything to do with tracking. What I trade is the extras.

Edited by Renegade Knight

As I wrote in another thread, trading in here can be intimiding and hard if you do not understand the personalities and the passion that many have. It took me time to post my first message and even longer for me to request a trade. I have made several trades with both forum watchers and active posters, so I personally do not feel as timid any longer. After feeling my way around in here, I finally branched out to the other websites that host the trading lists and wish lists of the coin collectors. The old timers may know where to go, but those who are just starting out, and there are many of us, may not know where to go or what to do to seek a trade. Posting in the pinned thread is a start, but most people in here seem to be beyond the posting in here or they are just not using it any longer. Also there are alot of people who have built up a nice collection that are just looking to trade for the newer coins with the older ones that are maybe more valuable now to a newer collector. As someone who has created a couple of coins, I hope that people do continue to purchase coins. I know that I do and I will continue to purchase them, but on the flip side I need to keep my budget in check by trading some too.

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1. Yes

2. I try!

3. Definately. Some of my favorite coins are non-trackable!

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1. Definately

2. I try to trade more, trades have a lot more meaning for me

3. I do not base a trade on trackability or icon availability

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1) Absolutely!

2) Try to, but lately it's been tough trading, coins people are looking for I don't have, and coins some have for trade I'm not interested in.

3) Don't care if a coin is trackable or not, so I will trade a trackable for non-trackable, don't care about the icon at all.

Check my trade list in my sig line.

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1. Yes, but mostly using coins I've purchased, as I haven't gotten around to minting a personal coin.

2. While my trading is on the rise (shipped out just over 200 coins in trade in the last 3 months :tired: ) unfortunately I think my purchasing has risen faster! :anibad:

3. Most definitely. Most of the coins I stalked the hardest are non-trackable.

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1. Yes I trade

2. I trade a little more than I buy. I didn't get many of my first coin edition to trade. My newest coin edition is going mostly into caches, but will trade some of those too.

3. Sometimes I trade to get an icon I really like, but I usually trade for a coin I like, whether trackable or non-trackable.

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

Well

1. Yes -my personal geocoin got me started...made a few slip ups but all went well.

2. NO, but only because I didn't have anything worth trading. Now that I have decent selection of traders (I think), I seek out more trades, NOW.

3. Yes (recent trade was 3 trackables for 3 non-trackables, I received the non trackables, although I thought one was trackable)

As a trader myself and this maybe another thread totally so sorry if it is...

If someone posts they are seeking a geocoin say "X" geocoin and I respond that I have "x" geocoin do you have trader list and I received e-mail stating I have "Y" geocoin how about that? This doesn't work for me....I like choices....I do have a Keeper/trader/seeking list that I updated about 3 weeks ago for all to view (I am giving you options you can oblige me with 3 or 4 two). If you don't have a trader list at least give me 3 or 4 options.....some of the coins on that list may not be top priority to me.....and like it or not some coins have better trade value.

I think as a newbie trader I have been/was taken advantage of a few times thank goodness it wasn't my mortgage payment.... :anibad: And hopefully I didn't step on anyones toes or break some trading etiquette rule(s) when I attempted to make a trade.

Hope I didn't derail the thread....

Steel City Babes

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1) I like to trade. Its kind of like the thrill of the hunt so to speak to track down something I really like or for my mission etc. Also since my money situation is critical right now it is about the only way I will get the coins I want.

2) Now I trade more than I buy because of the money situation.

3) I don't care about the icons as I rarely activate the coins in my collection. I trade for something I like whether trackable or not.

1.-Do you trade?

I love trading because you get to 'meet' more fellow cachers.

2.-Do you trade more than you buy? Anymore, Yes.

I started out wanting the icons, but since the explosion of icons they really don't matter as much any more. Tracking is not an issue to me, if I like the coin I would and have traded trackable for non-trackable. I've even traded 'so called' HTF's for 'easy to finds' just because I like the ETF coin. To me the 'value' of the coin is in the eye of the collector.

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

I have only recently started trading. I am pretty new to coins..and in order to have something to trade..you either need a personal coin, or you need to buy extras for trade. I don't understand how people can have hundreds of coins to trade...I only buy coins that I really like and intend to keep in my collection. The MWGB was my first trade experience. It was a lot of fun, and I would like to trade more, but I do not have many extra coins to trade. I recently minted a personal coin, and that gave me something to trade with, but it was a small minting, and I didn't save as many coins as I probably should have for traders. I have traded my personal (which is trackable) for non trackable coins because I liked the coin, and at the bash, I traded a non-trackable for a trackable. The majority of my coins are not activated. I seek out certain coins...trackable or not, simply because I like the design.

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1. Yes, I love to trade.

2. I so wish......... I have been lucky to have some Top 40 coins given to me by my boyfriend to use as traders or to sell and I worked with C&P and TCP to make some CITO coins for an event and had those extras to trade or sell. I have made some trades for my new personal coin, but since it has become a "re-sale" through TCP (do to some changes in my financial position) I basicly have already set up most of my trades that I will be able to make except for trades for the XLE's. I did just get some Geojellies that I will be trading :anibad: . I used to buy at least 3 of every design that I ordered. It was cheaper per coin when you figured it including the shipping cost and I would activate one and trade or sell the other. I have not been doing that lately, except for the coins I had already reserved. I know I will be doing an other CITO coin in the spring since it was a big hit at the event to be able to give everyone a coin and it really helped to be able to sell the XLE's to cover the expenses of the event. Besides that, it was fun and got local cachers intersted in coins. I hope sometime to be able to do more trading once I have more of an inventory again.

3. I release all of my coins. That being said, trackability is important to me. I have made trades for non-trackable coins. I have a friend who collects and usually he is willing to trade me a newer trackable for a non-trackable. I will purposely trade for non-trackables on his seeking list knowing that he will have "something good" for me. :tired:

1. Lots ...probably more than 300 mail trades

2. Right now I trade more than I buy but used to buy way more than I traded...now buying again

3. Definately except sometimes it tweaks me if it is a new untrackable passe coin & someone wants to trade for a more desireable older trackable coin...then I may want 2 coins ....but I will also trade multiple trackables for older non trackable coins I really want. It really just depends on the merit of the coin!

I like icons but I don't activate any new coins now except when I am putting them out travelling...however I don't mind adopting a coin that is activated if I want it.

That's my 3 cents worth

Edited by whitebear

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade? Yes - it seems more of an acheivement than buying and have met some great coiners in the process. Looking through the trading lists usually ends up with adding more to our wish list

2.-Do you trade more than you buy? Find this difficult - need to buy for the collection and additional to trade, can't afford to buy more for trade than the collection. Even the trades you will have bought initially from somewhere?? same when we end up with our coin with in theory surplus to then use for trade, we will still have bought them in the first place at one level. Have been known to buy another one of the coins I already have so that I can trade it for one that is on my wishlist when I'e run out of the trades for that particular coin. I don't have any must have coins to trade one out for for coming in.

3.-Will you trade trackable for non-trackable or are you trading for the icon? Yes and have done - we don't activate coins in the collection, so tracking and I guess therefore the icon not that relevant. If no tracking number I'd like to see the coin numbered in some way. Having said that our own coin will be trackable and have an icon.

Sue

1.-Do you trade?

1. Yes. I trade too much I think!! Trying to keep trades sorted out is almost a full time occupation! :tired:

2. Yes. I generally buy a couple of coins so I can trade with one. But if the coins I buy arrive and I dont like them, they both get traded (or sold if no one wants to trade me for them). My husband buys coins to put on eBay (oh the horror! :anibad: )

3. I like trackables because the option is there for them to be activated. The icons are starting to bug me because they are really cluttering up my profile pages :ph34r: I think I like trading just to get to see more coins, and as a kind of natural progression from international pen-friends. Geocoin collectors are great people ;)

1.-Do you trade?

Yes, lots :tired: I blame it on BGF...he got me started over two years ago :anibad:

Depends upon the season. We are self employed and have a seasonal business. In the off season I trade more and in the busy season I buy more.

Heck ya, it's all about the coin and not the icon.

I trade more than I buy...after buying a personal coin so we would have something to trade.

Trade mostly for other personals, but will buy a coin I like if I catch it before it hits E-bay.

I like the icons but will pretty much trade for any personal coin...icon or not.

When we buy coins we usually get 2, one to activate for the Icon and one to trade later.

Edited by TeamEccs21

1.-Do you trade? Yes

2.-Do you trade more than you buy? I try to

3.-Will you trade trackable for non-trackable or are you trading for the icon? Yes...to me a coin is a coin. I do not care if it is trackable or not since I don't activate most of my coins. I don't really care about the icon. I'd rather fill up my "Moved/Discovered" list with icons than my "owned" list.

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1. Yes

Check out my list, maybe we can make a trade!

And as for the questions:

#1. Yes

#2. Not at this point, but maybe after we have our own coins that will be closer to a reality!

#3. Depends on the coin! I don't activate mine either. I've adopted a few that were but only activated one of my own (for a contest). I have an unactivated one still in my collection.

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1. As much as I can

2. 1800+ coins traded, 475 coins purchased (does not include personal coins)

3. I've traded a trackable for a non trackable micro.

Personal coins purchased 4780 (and growing)

TSD V1 600

TSD V2 360

TSD V2.5 1000

TSD V3 700

TSD MWGB 110

TSD GeoTag 150

TSD Frog Prince 50

BW V1 600

BW V2 700

BW V3 300

Team Sand Dollar

Edited by Team Sand Dollar

1.-Do you trade? Absolutely. I'd be surprised if there are active coin people who don't.

2.-Do you trade more than you buy? It ebbs and flows. Right now I am in a trading lull. Once the weather cools and the days get shorter I'll probably start sending out the e-mails again.

3.-Will you trade trackable for non-trackable or are you trading for the icon? Yes, yes, yes. While I do activate everything I keep, neither the icons or the trackability are particularly important to me. I would have to guess that the majority of my favorites are non-trackable.

Do you trade? -- All the time! I love trading!

Do you trade more than you buy? -- Yes. I do. I used to buy most of the coins I wanted, but now I trade mostly for older and newer coins I want.

Will you trade trackable for non-trackable or are you trading for the icon? --

Doesnt matter to me. I trade for the coin. (I collect what I like - where have I heard that before!) :anibad:

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1. Yes

2. I try!

3. Definately. Some of my favorite coins are non-trackable!

DITTO!!! :)

1.-Do you trade?

Yep - prefer it.

Early on it was 50-50. Now I trade more than I buy since I had my personals made. Wait - would that still be 50-50?

I'll trade trackable for non. For me, it's about the design and whether or not I like it.

I guess great minds think alike! :) Great questions HB! Not really the answers I expected.

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

1) Yes & loving it more & more.

2) I want to. I'm am trying to. I am determined that I am going to stop buying so much!

3) As I think everyone else has said, "It's about the coin."

So, three questions

1.-Do you trade?

Mostly just face to face, unless someone asks me.

Trading takes too much time, and I have more money than time these days. Plus, some of the smaller run geocoins are hard to trade for. My mother-in-law always said I had more money than brains. Now that I think about it, that must have been her way of saying I'm stupid. :)

I'll trade for anything we don't have, pretty much.

Seperate question - it seems most don't activate coins. But if you don't, how can you see the icon in your inventory? Am I missing something?

An activated coin is worth less to some folks. So, unless you are sure you will never get rid of it, don't activate it.

If you want the icons in your profile, then you need to activate. If you activate, then you need to find an archived cache or someplace else to place the coin or else it will always show in your inventory.

It's just a matter of personal choice.

1.-Do you trade? Yes.

2.-Do you trade more than you buy? No, cause we always keep a coin for myself. We are hoping to get our own personal coin minted after my upcoming deployment.

3.-Will you trade trackable for non-trackable or are you trading for the icon? I have, since it was an already activated geocoin.

1.-Do you trade? Yes

2.-Do you trade more than you buy? Most of my trades came from minting a personal coin, so I guess I'd have to say buy (had to buy coins in order to trade :) )

3.-Will you trade trackable for non-trackable or are you trading for the icon? Although my other half hates it when I do that, yes I do. If I like the coin enough it doesn't matter if it is trackable w/icon or not.

1.-Do you trade?

YES

Unfortunately NO but I'm working on that. I keep telling myself don't buy you can trade for it

later. Most of the time that doesn't work but more often than three months ago..

YES - I trade for the coin that appeals to me. I'm not concerned about trackable/not trackable/icon.

:)

1.-Do you trade? Yes, Love to trade. Sometimes I am slow with Mail trades

2.-Do you trade more than you buy? I am pretty even.

3.-Will you trade trackable for non-trackable or are you trading for the icon? Yes, I have in the past.

For me, I love in person trading. That is one of the reason I go to large events.