GeoTags V1 - Personal Geocoins, Goal:

AtwellFamily

After reading the post regarding geotags or other trademarked tags of such. I was wondering if there was something that could fill the gap. A Personal Travel Tag of sorts. Like a small geocoin 1.25" round x 2mm thick. Could be used instead of a travel bug dog tag or could be set free on its own. In any case it would be personalized.

What ours would look like: tag.JPG

Icon:tag-ico.JPG

To keep the cost down one side would be the same for all the tags. There would be a single icon for these and a unique prefix (provided I can get the numbers).

You can personalize the front with up to 4 colors in 2d art. All artwork will need to be approved by Groundspeak since these will be trackable.

Please visit our GeoTag Website to get all your answers.

(post edited by moderator to reflect updates - link added with Groundspeak permission)

Edited by Eartha

Ok, I'm interested but I'm also kind of confused.

1. Is it a coin but just not as thick as many coins out now or is it a tag (like pathtags)?

2. A different die is used for the front for each of us?

3. If it is like a coin, how does it differ from, let's say a micro, minus the fact we all have the same design on one side?

Thanks for any clarification you can help me with.

Tsun.

1. Is it a coin but just not as thick as many coins out now or is it a tag (like pathtags)?

3. If it is like a coin, how does it differ from, let's say a micro, minus the fact we all have the same design on one side?

Tsun.

I'm interested, 50 to 100 depending on cost each. What about die fees etc? And would be able to buy more in the furture?

Same here. I would be interested too. It sounds like a great project.

Most coins are 3mm and the other tags are around 1mm these will be inbeteeen that. About the thinkness of alot of micros.

Different front for your coin. The backs would all be the same. You can close a design upto 4 colors with 2d art. May add more color but price would go u slightly for your coin/tag

3. If it is like a coin, how does it differ from, let's say a micro, minus the fact we all have the same design on one side?That is correct it is a micro but personalized for everyone. Can keep the cost down with common side and getting to produce 1000 not 300. The price is also down beacue the cost of the icon is over 1000 not 300.

Tsun.

The key to making this work is getting to 1000 minimum production. The cost stated above $2.50-3.00 includes all die charges. I will be getting artwork from the mint on mine and a firm price at that point those who have shown interest will be contacted.

I'm interested, 50 to 100 depending on cost each. What about die fees etc? And would be able to buy more in the furture?

The die fee is part of the specified cost. As far as buying more in the future. YES. I am not sure the cost for additional small buys but will figure that out and get back to you.

Count me in for at least 50, maybe 100 if my finances look good at the time (can you say income tax refund?). Could I maybe be in for a set for me personally and another set for an event I am planning in June? It would make a great give-away or raffle. I really like this idea, I'm still kicking myself I missed out on the Top 40 project! Oh, will we have to come up with our own artwork for our side of the coin?

Count me in for at least 50, maybe 100 if my finances look good at the time (can you say income tax refund?). Could I maybe be in for a set for me personally and another set for an event I am planning in June? It would make a great give-away or raffle. I really like this idea, I'm still kicking myself I missed out on the Top 40 project! Oh, will we have to come up with our own artwork for our side of the coin?

Most coins are 3mm and the other tags are around 1mm these will be inbeteeen that. About the thinkness of alot of micros.

Different front for your coin. The backs would all be the same. You can close a design upto 4 colors with 2d art. May add more color but price would go u slightly for your coin/tag

3. If it is like a coin, how does it differ from, let's say a micro, minus the fact we all have the same design on one side?That is correct it is a micro but personalized for everyone. Can keep the cost down with common side and getting to produce 1000 not 300. The price is also down beacue the cost of the icon is over 1000 not 300.

Tsun.

The key to making this work is getting to 1000 minimum production. The cost stated above $2.50-3.00 includes all die charges. I will be getting artwork from the mint on mine and a firm price at that point those who have shown interest will be contacted.

Thanks for that clarification and I sent you a pm.

Perhaps I'm really missing something; how would this idea be different from PathTags? I've got a couple of PathTags that we found in caches, and can't make a lot of sense out them.

These would be trackable. That is what I am trying to do. Bridge the gap from geo tags to coins. While at the same time making something like a personal travel bug. Trade, track alone or attach to something. The best of all three things, tag, coins and bugs. At a reasonable cost.

I'll start a list and will keep updating.

Atwell Family (CITO) - 50

Atwell Family - 50

GeoSmurz - ?

501_Gang - ?

Tsunrisebey - 100

aa8bj - 50-100

Droo - 100

Tokencollector - 25

Rubinconwb - 50-100

Castleman - 100

Oldnavy59 - 25

Thanks for helping me get things started. Please let me know if these numbers are correct.

I will be figuring out the pricing by mold, so if you are looking to get more than 1 mold please let me know. The pricing will vary depending on order quality far each mold. Seeing as that is the biggest cost in the project. I will be sending an email out this week to let all interested parties know the price.

Edited by Atwell Family

I'll start a list and will keep updating.

Atwell Family (CITO) - 50

Atwell Family - 50

GeoSmurz - ?

501_Gang - ?

Tsunrisebey - 100

aa8bj - 50-100

Droo - 100

Tokencollector - 25

Rubinconwb - 50-100

Castleman - 100

Oldnavy59 - 25

Thanks for helping me get things started. Please let me know if these numbers are correct.

I will be figuring out the pricing by mold, so if you are looking to get more than 1 mold please let me know. The pricing will vary depending on order quality far each mold. Seeing as that is the biggest cost in the project. I will be sending an email out this week to let all interested parties know the price.

I will be in for somewhere around 50-100 depending on the price. Also if you need another person to pick up the amount to 1000 or whatever it was let me know. I will do a set for my dad with his geocaching name.

oh P.S. I need a f between the r and the z

Here is the latest:

Tsunrisebey

Droo

Castleman

Atwell Family (CITO)

GeoSmurfz

aa8bj

Rubinconwb

Smort78

stellarscapes

Go JayBee

Tokencollector

Oldnavy59

delta123

501_Gang

Crowesfeat30

hobbycachegirl

Aiden's Cachers

Red Otter

creacher

With these and taking the low end of everyones commitment we are at 950 already. I will be putting an email together and sending it out mid next week.

Definitely!

Count me in..... now what are the deadlines for submitting artwork and the like? Is there an upper limit on participation? Metal finish types -- are we limited to one finish, or can we branch out and make copper, gold, etc?

Sorry -- forgot to quote my 'ante' --- let's say 100.

Definitely!

Count me in..... now what are the deadlines for submitting artwork and the like? Is there an upper limit on participation? Metal finish types -- are we limited to one finish, or can we branch out and make copper, gold, etc?

The finishes are nickel and brass. If we get past 1000 I'll see if I can get additional but the cost of the other finishes is usually more.

Thanks for joining the crowd.

Here is the latest:

Tsunrisebey

Droo

Castleman

Atwell Family (CITO)

GeoSmurfz

aa8bj

Rubinconwb

Smort78

stellarscapes

Go JayBee

Tokencollector

Oldnavy59

delta123

501_Gang

Crowesfeat30

hobbycachegirl

Aiden's Cachers

Red Otter

creacher

With these and taking the low end of everyones commitment we are at 950 already. I will be putting an email together and sending it out mid next week.

Hi,

Not to be too picky but it's Castle Man (2 words)

:laughing:

Here is the latest:

Tsunrisebey

Droo

Castle Man

hobbycachegirl

GeoSmurfz

aa8bj

Rubinconwb

Smort78

stellarscapes

Go JayBee

Aiden's Cachers

Atwell Family (CITO)

Crowesfeat30

Tokencollector

Oldnavy59

delta123

Red Otter

creacher

501_Gang

wsgaskins

coreynjoey

fairyhoney

Cap'n YB

GPX Navigators

O-Mega

I am not limiting the numbers on this project.

Thank you all for joining in. I am working on details and time line. Just to tell you a little now, the time line goes out to coins being delived in late May. With samples and this size group I think this is reasonable.

These would be trackable. That is what I am trying to do. Bridge the gap from geo tags to coins. While at the same time making something like a personal travel bug. Trade, track alone or attach to something. The best of all three things, tag, coins and bugs. At a reasonable cost.

Um...with all due respect these already exist. They are called "geocoins". They were given tracking numbers to allow for personal coins to be tracked. :laughing:

Um...with all due respect these already exist. They are called "geocoins". They were given tracking numbers to allow for personal coins to be tracked. :laughing:

I think it's a bit different, something like a personal Travel Bug. With the hole you could attach it to a hitch hiker and drop it off just like the dog tag ones from gc.com, but personalized.

But my point is that geocoins ARE personal travelbugs. That's why they have tracking numbers.

I'm not trying to pee in anybody's Cheerio's; I just see this as another group project, but nothing new.

I don't see the pee.... It would be like a micro geocoin and a group project.

Thanks for the comments.

p.s. May goal some day to to see a thread, regarding a coin that I produced, in which you make a positive comment about the coin or the project. Someday, I know it will happen. :laughing:

By bridging the gap it was to give the personalized coin but the price point of the tag and the attachability (if that is a word) of the bug. Some people don't have $500 bucks to make 100 coins. With this you can get 25 for around $100 and 100 for around $250. Giving more people access to coins.

Atwell Family, I do have a few questions though.

1. I see there are going to be two finishes for this coin. Do we get to pick out of the two. As far as if we want ## of one and a ## of the other or do we pick just one out of the two for the whole group?

2. Artwork. Is there going to be someone doing the artwork for everyone. Or do we have to do the artwork ourselves? I don't know for anyone else but I don't have the programs to do the artwork for this.

3. When we order the coins can we order one of them without the tracking number for a cheaper price? I want to keep one for myself but seems like a waist to me to put a tracking number on this coin if I am not going to trade it or sell it.

But my point is that geocoins ARE personal travelbugs. That's why they have tracking numbers.

I'm not trying to pee in anybody's Cheerio's; I just see this as another group project, but nothing new.

(

Who cares what you call it or how you categorize it? I would like to participate and so do others, is it important if Atwells have reinvented the wheel or come up with a fun project that people can get behind and have fun with. Sometimes I see myself as getting grumpy but I do believe you win that prize (not to crap in your lunchbox or anything).

(

Who cares what you call it or how you categorize it? I would like to participate and so do others, is it important if Atwells have reinvented the wheel or come up with a fun project that people can get behind and have fun with. Sometimes I see myself as getting grumpy but I do believe you win that prize (not to crap in your lunchbox or anything).

Let's please keep this on topic. kealia has options and I respect that fact we can all express them. I just want to keep this on topic. Thanks.

Now back to the topic at hand...

Atwell Family, I do have a few questions though.

1. I see there are going to be two finishes for this coin. Do we get to pick out of the two. As far as if we want ## of one and a ## of the other or do we pick just one out of the two for the whole group?

I will varify but you should be able to picke some of both at a minimum you can pick either and someone else can pick the other. Not limited by group agreement.

2. Artwork. Is there going to be someone doing the artwork for everyone. Or do we have to do the artwork ourselves? I don't know for anyone else but I don't have the programs to do the artwork for this.

I mentioned this in a PM to someone else. As far as the artwork goes you will need to provide. As far as being a graphics artist, that is not needed. The artwork I hav done for coins is mostly from some existing clipart put together in paint and word. The artwork in this thread was all done in word except the star/leaf part, that was paint.

3. When we order the coins can we order one of them without the tracking number for a cheaper price? I want to keep one for myself but seems like a waist to me to put a tracking number on this coin if I am not going to trade it or sell it.

As long as I have enough people getting tracking numbers that we get to the 1000 mark, which it looks like, then you can order as many as you would like without the tracking number. It would decrease the cost by $1.50. Wow, looking at the information I am putting together the price is very, very nice, even compared to other "tags".