GeoTags V1 - Personal Geocoins, Goal:

AtwellFamily

Big PROPS! go out to UOTrackers who put my ideas to a visually pleasing format. She was quick too!

Here is my coin in Petroglyph/Native American... Tsun style (every color, the wording, and design has significance, that's why it looks the way it does and I'm very happy). Thanks Jen!

Tsun.

tsun051-large.jpg

This is what I have in mind:

CF30tag2.jpg

But I have no idea how to fill in the outer ring

Or perhaps make the crow smaller so it is wholly inside the red ring (but I don't know how to do that either...)

Any suggestions? :blink:

Thanks! :blink:

CF30

This isn't exact, but this is what I played around with:

CF30_01.jpg

Not asking anyone to do a design for me or anything, I just want to know if my Avatar can be used on such a coin/tag and whether there would be room to have Rasta Heart-One Love along the top with jAY miLLS along the bottom?

Also if anyone here uses GIMP please pm me and tell me how to manipulate a square image into a round image if it isn't too complicated. Also keep in mind I am new at this so keep that in mind if you respond. Don't assume I will know what you are talking about, so keep it as simple as possible. Thanks

Can someone please explain to me why, ever since the forums went to this new format, I CANNOT read ANY messages except those on the first page of replies?? :blink::D:blink: I won't even be able to read THIS reply. I just get error messages. Can someone PM me or e-mail me thru my profile and maybe I can get this problem fixed. Please, I would really like to read all replies.

Thanks, CF30

We're new to the geocaching & geocoin scene so we have a few,but none of our own yet. This looks to be a great idea. :blink: For those quibbling over what they're called I kinda liked the idea someone gave already of the TRI-BRID COIN. The other nice thing about this TRI-BRID COIN is that is inexpensive-for those cachers who love the game but don't have deep pockets. Geocoins can get really expensive for your first personal ones-what with dye fees,250 coin min. if you want trackables,etc... I say three cheers for ATWELL FAMILY for this idea. we'll take at least 25 maybe more after I discuss this with the rest of my family.

Edited by packmaster4

LOL, I have learned something tonight!!! I clicked on "Options" (just below the "Add Reply" and "New Topic" buttons) and then clicked on "Standard" under "Display Modes". This has switched me from the "Outline" Format back to the old forum format. I had no idea I could do this. I thought I was stuck with the new "outline" format that I hate. This has solved my problem in following this and other long threads AND I have the format I like back!!! Oooh, and I figured it out all by myself!!! :D:blink::D Yay!!! Thanks, General Tupperware, for your concern. I'm back in the game!!! :blink:

CF30

blanktag1-2.jpg

This is as far as I can get using Gimp with my limited skills and have a couple questions.

- Can someone help me by telling me how to fill the color in with out going past the edge of the disk?

- How do I add text to curve along the disk? I want to have it say "Rasta Heart One Love" across the top with the text maybe a bit bigger and the hole between Rasta Heart and One Love. And "jAY miLLS" curved along the bottom. How do you get the text to curve along the edge.

- Will this image even work for this project?

Any help (advice) with Gimp on these things would be appreciated. If this an inappropriate thread for this I am sorry. I am just trying to get an idea what a coin/tag might look like. This is my first attempt at this so be gentle I know its not professinal looking and all that. Please don't assume I will know what you are talking about explain it in term I will understand nto lingo and such. Thanks

Edited by Jay Mills

LOL, I have learned something tonight!!! I clicked on "Options" (just below the "Add Reply" and "New Topic" buttons) and then clicked on "Standard" under "Display Modes". This has switched me from the "Outline" Format back to the old forum format. I had no idea I could do this. I thought I was stuck with the new "outline" format that I hate. This has solved my problem in following this and other long threads AND I have the format I like back!!! Oooh, and I figured it out all by myself!!! :D:blink::D Yay!!! Thanks, General Tupperware, for your concern. I'm back in the game!!! :blink:

CF30

I had no clue what you where even talking about so I went and changed the style in options to see , YIKES that would drive me crazy as well. Glad you got it figured out.

Only just caught up with this thread, and I have to say a big AWESOME to Mike. A brilliant idea!! Count me in for 25+... (if it's not too late).

I like the GeoTags name for them. They a great concept that could be done again and again and again... as new people want their own, or existing people want more, or even a fresh design. I can see these going far and being around for a long time.

The art work appearing is amazing! (Quite scary actually!)

When does the art work need to be done by? I'll need to get cracking!

<snip>

This is as far as I can get using Gimp with my limited skills and have a couple questions.

- Can someone help me by telling me how to fill the color in with out going past the edge of the disk?

- How do I add text to curve along the disk? I want to have it say "Rasta Heart One Love" across the top with the text maybe a bit bigger and the hole between Rasta Heart and One Love. And "jAY miLLS" curved along the bottom. How do you get the text to curve along the edge.

- Will this image even work for this project?

Any help (advice) with Gimp on these things would be appreciated. If this an inappropriate thread for this I am sorry. I am just trying to get an idea what a coin/tag might look like. This is my first attempt at this so be gentle I know its not professinal looking and all that. Please don't assume I will know what you are talking about explain it in term I will understand nto lingo and such. Thanks

There are a ton of Gimp tutorials out there. Try Google. Telling you how to do it here would take up too much room. Here's a tutorial on making "curved" test. I'll admit that you have to play around with it a bit, but you'll get the hang of it after a few tries. Gimp Tutorial - Curved Text Good luck!

Edited by rasj

LOL, I have learned something tonight!!! I clicked on "Options" (just below the "Add Reply" and "New Topic" buttons) and then clicked on "Standard" under "Display Modes". This has switched me from the "Outline" Format back to the old forum format. I had no idea I could do this. I thought I was stuck with the new "outline" format that I hate. This has solved my problem in following this and other long threads AND I have the format I like back!!! Oooh, and I figured it out all by myself!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::P Yay!!! Thanks, General Tupperware, for your concern. I'm back in the game!!! :lol:

CF30

That also happened to one of my friends at one point... I think it was a bit-flip mixup on the server end that set that "bad" preference for some people. Glad to have you back again, CF! (great design, BTW!)

Coin-Tag-1.jpg

I need feedback. Ok I know the edges of the circle could be smoother and I can't figure out how to get my geo-nick to appear right side up but otherwise you kinda get the idea I have. How is this? Will this image work on this tag/coin? Thanks

Edited by Jay Mills

Coin-Tag.jpg

I need feedback. Ok I know the edges of the circle could be smoother and I can't figure out how to get my geo-nick to appear right side up but otherwise you kinda get the idea I have. How is this? Will this image work on this tag/coin? Thanks

Not as it is. I would suggest maybe sendng to Jamie at madhatter and he will produce the artwork for GeoTags at only $25. You can contact him at toyhappy at gmail.com

Not as it is. I would suggest maybe sendng to Jamie at madhatter and he will produce the artwork for GeoTags at only $25. You can contact him at toyhappy at gmail.com

To many colors? I am trying to keep this manageable on my wallet.

Big PROPS! go out to UOTrackers who put my ideas to a visually pleasing format. She was quick too!

Here is my coin in Petroglyph/Native American... Tsun style (every color, the wording, and design has significance, that's why it looks the way it does and I'm very happy). Thanks Jen!

Tsun.

tsun051-large.jpg

That is So awesome... so is Red otter!

<snip>

There's no doubt in my mind that Jamie can take that picture and turn it into something that will not only be "do-able", but it will also look great! The tag Jamie made for me was made from a picture of my dog that I sent him. He did a great job making it actually look like my dog, rather than just "some dog"

well worth the money.

Well that may be but also the colors need to be separated by metal. Wait to contact Jamie until you see the final pricing. I would hate to have you think the pricing was to high (which I don't think you will) and alrady have spead money on design.

This is a good start just needs to be refined a bit. Not sure mint would do the refining.

Jay I'd be happy to help you, as I've told the others right now I don't have a fee, you just give me what you think it's worth when I am finished!

is that $25 each?

He will do all the artwork for $25 and 1 finished tag for his collection. He is very good, I have had him do a few things for me.

Count me in if this project is still in the works. I have some old art work that should work. When is the cutoff? What does the pricing look like? Email me through my profile and I will reply with my art work. I'm in for the minimum and depending on pricing maybe more.

My art work:

art.jpg

This is GROWING :rolleyes: way beyond what I thought the project would become.

I have gotten most of the deatils together and will be posting that information tomorrow morning. To try and help manage this I have created a webpage. I will be directing people to there for ordering. Between my post tomorrow and the webpage these should answer anyone's questions.

I am just trying to get the php form working on the webpage to accept file attachments (artwork). If you know any php with forms and file attachment experiance please contact me via PM.

Thank you, to all 65 (yes that is correct 65) of you who have shown interest. I will also try and contact as many as possible via your profile. But as you can imagine that has now become a very large undertaking.

....edited from 63 to 65 since posting....

Edited by Atwell Family

<snip>

There's no doubt in my mind that Jamie can take that picture and turn it into something that will not only be "do-able", but it will also look great! The tag Jamie made for me was made from a picture of my dog that I sent him. He did a great job making it actually look like my dog, rather than just "some dog"

well worth the money.

I don't doubt Jamie's ability, I am sure he and any number of folks would do a bang up job. I am just on a very stretched budget and have a very limited income at the moment (in between jobs and in the middle of a career change). As it is I will have to find a way to pay for this project, and it is the cheapest way available (I think) for me to have a personalized trackable. I just don't want to add to the expense if I don't have to, that is why I tried my hand at the design. Might have to just surrender and pay, or practice my GIMP designing skills as well as what is required for the design and wait for the next project. (Tongue in cheek) I tell ya I kind of regret ever stumbling into this forum, thisis a very slippery slope indeed.

Jay I'd be happy to help you, as I've told the others right now I don't have a fee, you just give me what you think it's worth when I am finished!

PM sent Jen

Well, it is a huge project, the largest I've seen yet TBH, but I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks for taking it on. If the price point is what I think it will be then these things will be competitively priced to any custom trackables I've found. I'm leaning towards 100 myself.

65*25(min)=1625 coins

But I know at least a quarter of the people said 50-100 coins.

Well over 2000 GeoTags!!!

Well, it is a huge project, the largest I've seen yet TBH, but I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks for taking it on. If the price point is what I think it will be then these things will be competitively priced to any custom trackables I've found. I'm leaning towards 100 myself.

65*25(min)=1625 coins

But I know at least a quarter of the people said 50-100 coins.

Well over 2000 GeoTags!!!

Closer to 2500 on the minimum side. 3500 on the maximum side and that is with 6 people that have just indicated interest but not given any numbers. This is now 3 to 4 times larger than expected and I want to thank you all. I hope I can pull this off.

I also want to thank those who have offered to help. If or when I may need some I will contact you. Does anyone know the paypal fee, I may have shaven this number so close that I don't have room for the incidentals (paypal, labels, evelopes, boxes, etc).

Ok, I have decided to design one of these thingies for my boyfriend, Strider. So put me down for another 25 - 30 or more if the price is right - again, whatever quantity gets me to around $100. I have a design in mind - have worked on it a bit. I may need a bit of help to "refine" the design but other than that I think I have it in hand.

BTW: Please don't tell Strider about this. It is a supprise!! :rolleyes:

CF30

OK, I need some help. I'm new to this coin designing thing, so I'm not too sure what would look best and I know there are some very knowledgable designers in these forums!! I have 3 possible designs and would love to hear some feedback on which would work/look best and if there are any recommendations for making it better.

3coins.jpg

Edited by Red Otter