GeoTags V1 - Personal Geocoins, Goal:

AtwellFamily

Emailed some questions regarding colors (glitters/see thrus) and a few other questions.

Standard soft enamel colors only. I was not trying to make a inexpenve completely custom geocoin. Just fill a nitch. Sorry

We got past 1000, will we be able to get other finishes at an additional cost?

At this time I don't want to get into so many variations. As stated above, I was not trying to make a inexpenve completely custom geocoin. Just fill a nitch. Sorry

Can I use the gif file I have already done? The only thing that is missing is the cutout. I have not a clue how to import my artwork into your template, if it could even be done?

Are all color wheels the same, what I mean, are the color numbers I have from my color wheel I used the numbers you will need for artwork. If so do I put those in the comments?

You can use a gif you already hav but you need to indicate somewhere on it where the hole should go.

Look up PMS Color chart on the internet. The colors may not be exact but close. Your other choice would be to co into a printer to look at their PMS book.

For the Brass and Nickel plating do we need to choose one metal for our entire order, or may we split the finishes 50/50, etc.?

How will the activation codes be handled?

You can split the finishes any way you like, between nickel and brass.

CoinCodes will host the activation codes. There is a link from my website.

I thiknk this answers all the question today. I'll will check back later today but do need to get some work done today. :)

Thank you all for jumping in on my idea. :blink:

Up to date information is available at GeoTags

I realized in the first post I indicated $2.50-$3.00 range. I did have pricing about .10-.15 cheaper thinking we could get the 500 or 1000 piece price because of the quantity we are ordering. This is not the case the mint insists on treating each design separately. Because of the total number, the mint is giving us the 100 piece price on orders less than 100, so this is good :( . Because of the number of people involved I was able to make up some of the difference by spreading the icon and back mold changes over 2000 coins not just 1000 :) .

• Jamie provides professional art work $25 a geotag design + one finished tag. Contact information is as follows: Jamie Jones - MadHattersNeverland.com - ToyHappy@hotmail.com
  • I will be shipping these from Colorado to you, which is not included in the price. For any orders of 50+ coins, I will ship with insurance and via flat rate Priority Mail ($4.25 + insurance). For orders of less than 50 it will still be insured but shipped regular post.
  • To take advantage of the opening special I need your artwork to me by April 4. I will be out of town the last week of March and the first few days of April. So if you don't hear back right away it may be because of that. I will then get the artwork approved by Groundspeak and have the mint produce final artwork. Please provide artowrk in jpg, gif or bmp form.

If you have any question please feel free to email me at mike@atwellatwell.net. I will post answers to all questions in the forum so others can see what has been asked and answered.

So to recap, to take advantage of opening special I need you to complete the form at http://www.atwellfamily.net/geotags.htm by April 4 (with artwork included).

Thanks!

Mike

p.s. I was able to learn a little PHP scripting while doing this project. Please feel free to look at the rest of the site.

Order placed for 100. Thanks for getting eveything setup so quickly.

Tsun :)

For the first few pages of this thread I was very confused because I thought you were just doing the same thing as www.pathtags.com is doing.

So please carify....

The first 25 coins will cost me $100

and each tag after that is $2.40

So I could get 125 geotags for $340? (plus shipping from colorado)

Each tag with have it's very own unique tracking number?

For the first few pages of this thread I was very confused because I thought you were just doing the same thing as www.pathtags.com is doing.

So please carify....

Larger than other tags, these will be 1.25" (32mm). The other big difference will be tracking at geocaching.com with a tracking number that begins with GT not the normal PC.

Cost is correct.

Edited by Atwell Family

So please carify....

Larger than other tags, these will be 1.25" (32mm). The other big difference will be tracking at geocaching.com with a tracking number that begins with GT not the normal PC.

Cost is correct.

So you basically you have cut the cost of minting trackable coins in almost half by:

- Reducing the size (not by much but a little)

- Making only 1 side customizable

- not having each design have a custom icon (all your customers will share a common geotag icon)

- Eliminating a few of the metal choices

- Limiting design to 4 colors and soft enamel only

Please correct me if I am wrong

I am thinking I need to work on my next design :)

So please carify....

Cost is correct.

The only downside, if it can be seen as such, is that all of these GeoTags will have the same icon.

Still trying to decide if I want in on this project... I got in on the Geo-40 project and I still have lots of those coins left. Mostly, I'm trying to justify the expense. -.-

BTW, if you know javascript or vbscript, a price estimator would be handy to put on the page, imho.

So please carify....

Cost is correct.

So you basically you have cut the cost of minting trackable coins in almost half by:

- Reducing the size (not by much but a little)

- Making only 1 side customizable

- not having each design have a custom icon (all your customers will share a common geotag icon)

- Eliminating a few of the metal choices

- Limiting design to 4 colors and soft enamel only

Please correct me if I am wrong

I am thinking I need to work on my next design :)

You are correct. I inteded to do 1000 but this has turned into something bigger. The cost will go up after April 4th. I have no room for error in the price and I might have made one already by not accounting for the Paypal fess enough. I anycase, it is what it is until April 4.

Edited by Atwell Family

some quick cost break downs, for those to lazy to do so:

25 coins = $100 - $4.00 per GeoTag

50 coins = $160 - $3.20 per GeoTag

100 coins = $280 - $2.80 per GeoTag

250 coins = $640 - $2.56 per GeoTag

I was curious, are there any non-personal designs being minted (or is that not allowed)? I'm only asking, because in volume, these are a lot cheaper than travelbug tags and serve the same purpose.

--Marky

You are correct. I inteded to do 1000 but this has turned into something bigger. The cost will go up after April 4th. I have no room for error in the price and I might have made one already by not accounting for the Paypal fess enough. I anycase, it is what it is until April 4.

I hope you do accomodate the PayPal fees. I certainly don't want you to come up short due to fees. I am happy to pay the extra needed to cover this for my order.

MVC-098F.jpg

How is this? 4 colors the white except the the S will be reccessed metal the black is raised metal.

oldnavy59.jpg

Isn't MSWord a wonderful thing. All this in Word even got the clipart from there. Had to paint the yellow in MSPaint but that is no big deal, cut and paste a few times.

Edited by Atwell Family

By the end of this project you will have aged 10 years...........lol.

This is just my opinion here; please don't take on more of us than you can handle. If you need to set limits, do so. These coins get done when they get done, I would rather see them done right and more time taken, than trying to get them done by some mega/major event because for a large number of us, it is a new learning curve. Just remember to take some time for yourself and your family in all of this too :)

Tsun.

some quick cost break downs, for those to lazy to do so:

25 coins = $100 - $4.00 per GeoTag

50 coins = $160 - $3.20 per GeoTag

100 coins = $280 - $2.80 per GeoTag

250 coins = $640 - $2.56 per GeoTag

I was curious, are there any non-personal designs being minted (or is that not allowed)? I'm only asking, because in volume, these are a lot cheaper than travelbug tags and serve the same purpose.

--Marky

Thanks for the price sheet, may add to webpage to help people.

I would like to stick with people doing personal or event type GeoTags. I am thinking about doing a generic tag. Some to sell and some to just give away.

Was thinking about the icon look.

geotag-tag.jpg

Atwell Family: Will the price for "Additional Coins" be going up as well? I have no issue if it does just curious so I can remember to set it back if I do a second run.

The price for the starter 25 as well as additional coins will go up. I am not usre how much right now but I con't continue to do these for free. It was a great idea that has a life of it's own now. I am truely shocked over the original responces. I hope I get as many actual orders. :)

I have a few questions.

1. Are we going to recieve the outline for the artwork. Or are we just using the one from the other site?

2. Do we have to show the raised part around the color on the coin? I remember seeing someone post about this.

3. For us to get that price do we have to pay by the 4th of April or do we have to have everything summited by that date to get that price?

I have a few questions.

1. Are we going to recieve the outline for the artwork. Or are we just using the one from the other site?

There is a template on my website GeoTags

2. Do we have to show the raised part around the color on the coin? I remember seeing someone post about this.

You do not need the lines around the colors as long as the colors are separated that is good enough for the mint to work with.

3. For us to get that price do we have to pay by the 4th of April or do we have to have everything summited by that date to get that price?

If artwork is submitted by then it is good. I don't want to get into peple dragging feet on approvals so they can get the price but not buy until May. We can all play nice onthis one.

I think I'll change my order to 50...

Groundspeak doesn't think that this is undercutting TBs?

I am not sure about that. Plus some people want to buy 1 -10 TB's not 25-50. Although if I do a generic GeoTag and sell them for a price below the TB's then they might start to wonder. I am not on that path yet but, you have an idea there.

Generic tag less than TB's with the artwork I posted above, humm. :unsure:<_<

I am not sure about that. Plus some people want to buy 1 -10 TB's not 25-50. Although if I do a generic GeoTag and sell them for a price below the TB's then they might start to wonder. I am not on that path yet but, you have an idea there.

I fear that if this grows any more it may get shut down. Generic coins with a hole for attaching an item is getting mighty close to being a travel bug.

One thing I had wondered about...if using these as TB's, when activating your bug you have the option of giving it a name rather than just calling it "Travel Bug Tag" , these won't have that option will they?? So if I have several of them out there when one is logged it will just come in as "GeoTag" rather than "Wild Willy" or "Lost Shaker of Salt" etc...???????

One thing I had wondered about...if using these as TB's, when activating your bug you have the option of giving it a name rather than just calling it "Travel Bug Tag" , these won't have that option will they?? So if I have several of them out there when one is logged it will just come in as "GeoTag" rather than "Wild Willy" or "Lost Shaker of Salt" etc...???????

You are able to rename geocoins just the same as TB's. You can call them 1, 2, 3, 4 or how ever you'd like. Z's Fancy Free Flying GeoTag Coin

Here are the first two coins I set free:

S 321.6mi Atwell Family - BWings - BN 12/17/2006 Atwell Family UTM Exerci.. 1740 mi

E 446.9mi Atwell Family - BWings - S 1/7/2007 Atwell Family Stevens Cr.. 675 mi

You see the name is what I wanted. Pterry much the only difference between coins and bug is the icon. When it comes to tracking.

I fear that if this grows any more it may get shut down. Generic coins with a hole for attaching an item is getting mighty close to being a travel bug.

If they were going to quash us for that reason I don't think they would have approved these. To me it's the same idea; a small generic trackable coin less than a travel bug, only Hogwild's has a hole AND an attached ring for clipping it on things. It's even closer to a TB.

If they were going to quash us for that reason I don't think they would have approved these. To me it's the same idea; a small generic trackable coin less than a travel bug, only Hogwild's has a hole AND an attached ring for clipping it on things. It's even closer to a TB.

Generics aren't personalized either.

I just had a thought, and I had better ask because i haven't seen it mentioned. The metal choices are Nickel and Brass..

I have looked at finish samples from different vendors, and I haven't seen plain "nickel" listed. So is our choice White Nickel, Black Nickel, Satin Nickel or plain old Nickel?

If plain old nickel, I assume that's "silver" in color, correct?

My order has been placed, and artwork submitted. Thanks for taking on such a huge project! You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. But I DO have one quick question...

WHERE ARE MY COINS??? I ORDERED THEM LIKE 3 MINUTES AGO!!!1!

hehe, j/k. :laughing:

Your artwork is sent off to the mint, should hear back by the morning. They work on our off hours....

I just had a thought, and I had better ask because i haven't seen it mentioned. The metal choices are Nickel and Brass..

I have looked at finish samples from different vendors, and I haven't seen plain "nickel" listed. So is our choice White Nickel, Black Nickel, Satin Nickel or plain old Nickel?

If plain old nickel, I assume that's "silver" in color, correct?

Here are the plating samples:

plating04.jpgplating05.jpg

Oh by the way, joking :laughing:<_< about the artwork being sent. When I get a number of the rough artwork together I'll send for approval from Groundspeak and then off to the mint. First set of artwork should go to Groundspeak on Monday. ;)

Edited by Atwell Family

This is a very fun project. We are going to place our order tomorrow.

My husband came up with this. He just needs to fix it so the drop shadows aren't on there, and it fits with the template.

What do you think?

cfd1cd01-8bc3-41b0-8f4f-96926793794a.jpg

Look good I would just put the hole in the clouds and call it done.

This is a very fun project. We are going to place our order tomorrow.

My husband came up with this. He just needs to fix it so the drop shadows aren't on there, and it fits with the template.

What do you think?

cfd1cd01-8bc3-41b0-8f4f-96926793794a.jpg

Very nice! I can't wait to find one of these in a cache! (hint hint!!)

I have heard from 11 of 70 that I heard from originally. I will be sending out an email like I said I would but seeing as I don't have contact info for a number of people I will have to do it thru their profile. I will try to do this on Friday when I am off. I will not get to everyone but should get to quite a few.

I will also be sending the first wave of artwork along. First to Groundspeak for approval and then to the mint to do production ready artwork. When I get this back I will get your approval before minting. I will also ask for payment at that time.

I won't have time tomorrow to login at all so don't expect responses tomorrow. I haven't gotten any real work done all week so I need to put this aside for a few hours and get caught up befoer my day off on Friday.

Edited by Atwell Family

If they were going to quash us for that reason I don't think they would have approved these. To me it's the same idea; a small generic trackable coin less than a travel bug. . .

I agree with islander1988. This is simply a trackable micro coin, no matter how you spin it. I wouldn't worry about gc.com not approving anything here. You can make geocoins in any run size you want. Since someone is paying for that back side die though, it would have been nice to see a little artwork back there. Oh well, maybe on the next 10000 minted :laughing:

Your artwork is sent off to the mint, should hear back by the morning. They work on our off hours....

Here are the plating samples:

plating04.jpgplating05.jpg

Oh by the way, joking :laughing:<_< about the artwork being sent. When I get a number of the rough artwork together I'll send for approval from Groundspeak and then off to the mint. First set of artwork should go to Groundspeak on Monday. ;)

Thanks for the samples. That's exactly what I wanted to know, and what I was hoping it was. I guess I can wait another day or two before harassing you about the coins again. :laughing:

Thanks again for taking on this monumental task!