GeoTags V1 - Personal Geocoins, Goal:

AtwellFamily

Question for the group. My design was slightly different than the other tags available. With the hole being a bit futher into the tag. What would the group like to see, closer to the edge like ZSandmann or where I originally had it?

I can easily change the wording on the back. And am willing to make this change. I will make a decision based on feedback here before email with template is sent out.

tag.JPG

d7e0b479-4717-44f7-8a40-3f85d0288ae6.jpg

We don't have any strong preference about the position of the hole. Whatever the group decides is fine and can work for us.

Just saw this and was a bit curious. It appears to be an obvious reproduction of the existing PathTag, but trackable like a coin. If this is a totally new entity, has this already been approved by Groundspeak? Or does it just fall under geocoin status for the sake of tracking?

I got the idea in the thread about the other tags, when someone mentioned they were not trackable at all. I originally thought they were at least trackable on their own site but from my understanding they all have the same number just to identify the owner of the design.

I have been working direct with a mint so asked them to quote the idea and if I could get in the price range I mentioned I thought there might be a market. As kealia was nice enough to point out these are more like a micro geocoin.

The idea was to produce a personalized item like a coin, which could be attached like a bug, at the price point of a tag. I think I am very close if not bang on.

And to answer your other question, before posting anything here I did get approval from Groundspeak. They mentioned each design would need to be approved since it will have a tracking number on it. My guess is I made a compelling argument. The Geo 40 and other projects that have started like that have individual artwork, with 1 icon. These still will be metal as to meet another requirement that I am aware of. Lately I agreed to the artwork approval which should be no big deal.

Long responce to a short question but I could see more question arrising from this discussion.

p.s. As far as a new entity, I have not decided to start a new business with these. I am trying to price these as direct as possible but that may change in the future, lt me see how this first batch goes. Right now these look good, 40+ people in for almost 2000 total.

Just saw this and was a bit curious. It appears to be an obvious reproduction of the existing PathTag, but trackable like a coin. If this is a totally new entity, has this already been approved by Groundspeak? Or does it just fall under geocoin status for the sake of tracking?

I got the idea in the thread about the other tags, when someone mentioned they were not trackable at all. I originally thought they were at least trackable on their own site but from my understanding they all have the same number just to identify the owner of the design.

I have been working direct with a mint so asked them to quote the idea and if I could get in the price range I mentioned I thought there might be a market. As kealia was nice enough to point out these are more like a micro geocoin.

The idea was to produce a personalized item like a coin, which could be attached like a bug, at the price point of a tag. I think I am very close if not bang on.

And to answer your other question, before posting anything here I did get approval from Groundspeak. They mentioned each design would need to be approved since it will have a tracking number on it. My guess is I made a compelling argument. The Geo 40 and other projects that have started like that have individual artwork, with 1 icon. These still will be metal as to meet another requirement that I am aware of. Lately I agreed to the artwork approval which should be no big deal.

Long responce to a short question but I could see more question arrising from this discussion.

p.s. As far as a new entity, I have not decided to start a new business with these. I am trying to price these as direct as possible but that may change in the future, lt me see how this first batch goes. Right now these look good, 40+ people in for almost 2000 total.

:D Well then that's pretty cool if TPTB say go for it! A personal micro at a good price is definitely something that would appeal to many and it's a great chance to see even more coins start showing up in caches again. :angry:

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I think you should call the GeoTags. :D The custom prefix could be GT. :angry:

If they can be delivered before GW5 (no later than 5/22) and have an agreeable price then I am in for 30 - 50 of them.

Hurry with the template so we can start on the design. Is the size about 25mm?

I think the 5/22 date may be attainable.

I will have a template to everyone by Wednesday. The size is closer to 32mm (1.25"), is that to big?

GeoTag...There is nothing out there called that?

Yes I'd like the hole closer to the edge BUT not so close that a key ring loop would wear through the metal. I'm really liking this idea the more I read on it. It has all the coolness of the tags and the benefit of on site tracking like a geocoin.

Possible Names:

I like PoS's GeoTag

Pico -- RE: Personal Micro

MyTag MiCoin MyCoin

MEcro <--- I actually kinda like this.

Put us down as interested, depending on the final price and minimum order qty. It sounds very similar to the Geocaching the Top 40 project, only smaller. We missed out on that one, somehow, but are interested in joining this one as long as the cost is reasonable (and it sounds like it will be).

--Marky

Good, so if it were a bit thinner it would fit even better I'd assume. Course gotta consider a log in there as well.

I don't see why not that is a 1.25" 3MM coin in there, so indeed plenty of room.

EDIT opps Mike I would like in, min 50 QTY, once cost is nailed down may up order Thanks, Glenn

Edited by glennk721

Greets all, been watching this thread, this is a 1.25 IN coin in a film can at the middle not pushed to the bottom, it distorts the canister but the lid pops right on in place . Please keep in mind that this 1.25" coin is 3MM thick. Glenn

infilmcan.JPG

I have found that 1.25" is too big for a film cannister. Distorting the cannister is a bad thing, especially with weather like we have in the north east, a seal can't be made and the log and inside of the cache get wet. Also, alot of caches are the black cannisters / gray topped cannisters whose tops pop off easier than the clear one shown.

I have found that 1.25" is too big for a film cannister. Distorting the cannister is a bad thing, especially with weather like we have in the north east, a seal can't be made and the log and inside of the cache get wet. Also, alot of caches are the black cannisters / gray topped cannisters whose tops pop off easier than the clear one shown.

Mark good point, down here its only hot and hotter :blink: . This is a thick coin though, 3MM The photo is also a bit misleading its not that out of round, the direction I took the photo shows more distortion, will try a direct downward shot,,

Mike from the Atwell family whats the thickness of this coin item ?

Edited by glennk721

Thanks Glenn for the pics, plan on coin being 2mm thick.

Thanks POS for the name GeoTags. Worth your while... :blink:

Have some new artwork and finializing information. See what I put together today (who needs to work anyway :blink: )

tags.jpg

tags32.jpgtags16.jpg

I should have final pricing, template and dates ready by Wednesday. I will be ordering samples of mine ASAP.

I may also add a catch line like "Tag You're It!" to the back.

Edited by Atwell Family

Have some new artwork and finializing information. See what I put together today (who needs to work anyway :blink: )

tags.jpg

tags32.jpgtags16.jpg

I should have final pricing, template and dates ready by Wednesday. I will be ordering samples of mine ASAP.

I think this looks even better than the first version. If you're gonna throw on that last line, you might want to make it say, "Tag, You're It!".

I must say, the back looks much nicer now. Isn't WordArt a cool tool? I have not yet found anything better to do curved text... and I've been looking!

If you add the catch line, be sure to get some additional punctuation in there somewhere...

Like: "Tag, You're It!" or "Tag! You're it!

Otherwise, people will be asking: "Tag my *what* ??" :blink:

The other suggestion that I have is to put the more complete website address on the back. Like this:

"Track @ geocaching.com/track"

tags.jpg

tags32.jpgtags16.jpg

I really like the GeoTags name. Also the new one that you did looks great. Also putting "Tag, You're It" on there sounds great.

Ok this is using a black film can, its actually a bit larger in diameter then the white ! It is hardly at all out of round and top goes on as it was empty :blink: And yes same 1.25 3mm Coin inside ,,,

newfilmcan.jpg

Cool. :blink:

Ok so what is the ordering\making process.

1. submit frontside artwork to atwell

2. decide on number you want

etc...

tags.jpg

tags32.jpgtags16.jpg

Good play on words, I like it.

Tsun.

What a great idea! I just may have to get in on this one too. I like GeoTag as long as it isn't used for something else. I was going to suggest that but POS beat me to it. I first started to use the term "geotag" when I was looking into the trolley coins a few weeks ago. But, I didn't check to see if it was being used by anyone else. If it isn't, then that would be a perfect name for these. :blink:

What a great idea! I just may have to get in on this one too. I like GeoTag as long as it isn't used for something else. I was going to suggest that but POS beat me to it. I first started to use the term "geotag" when I was looking into the trolley coins a few weeks ago. But, I didn't check to see if it was being used by anyone else. If it isn't, then that would be a perfect name for these. :blink:

If we can't use GeoTag I like MicroTag but not sure if that is already in use.

I did a search for GeoTag and nothing came up. Send email to Groundspeak to check as well and to see if I can get GT prefix.

It was your thread that got me thinking about this idea. I has taken a few weeks to put this much info together. I have the deatils almost finalized. Will send email with link to an ordering page. Need to get page working for.

On a side note. This geocaching thing has gotten my in to coins and the coins got me to learn some php for my website. I almost have things ready. :blink:

Just need to hear back from mint a few issues.

Edited by Atwell Family

Atwell Family: If GeoTag turns out unavailable I've listed a few more suggestions up the page a bit. Maybe something can come from them. Hard to believe it wouldn't already of been used but here's for hoping cause if Tag isn't in the name somewhere I have to change my art. :blink:

Edited by ZSandmann

I worked on my coin today in my paint program, I think it turned out great! It's so easy to work from a laptop using my mousepad. If I can do it you can too!

Good thing I don't make my living from artwork done by my computer. I was just checking to see how "easy" it is to draw in paint and well, I suck.

mydrawing-medium.jpg

Shaping up nicely...I like the new design & the GeoTags name. Cool!

Back to my original question...can the coins/tags have cut-out areas?

Simple 2d art. The only cutout is the hole already part of the tag. Sorry :blink: All those kind of extras start adding cost.

Ok, thanks! Just wanted to get a handle on what I can get away with. :blink:

I worked on my coin today in my paint program, I think it turned out great! It's so easy to work from a laptop using my mousepad. If I can do it you can too!

Good thing I don't make my living from artwork done by my computer. I was just checking to see how "easy" it is to draw in paint and well, I suck.

mydrawing-medium.jpg

I love it. It looks like the Petroglyph you requested in your thread. If you send me your # in an email, I'll help you a bit with your attempt. Just to teach you some.