GeoTags V1 - Personal Geocoins, Goal:

AtwellFamily

Suggestion that a cutoff be established and those who have good art work and ahve paid get production rolling. Latecomers, those with no art yet, and those who have not paid make it on a second round. You can easily have 1000+ on each round.

Question-- For those who only want 25 or 50 coins how will the die work? Most minters want 100 coins paid for to make a die and they want $75 to $100 for the die fee per side. For example, 25 coins might be a $75 or $100 die fee and then $2.00 or $2.50 each making 25 coins about $125 to $160. If each person in on this pays a few dollars toward the die for the other side of the coin, plus shipping, we could easily approach $200 for 25 coins. Am I wrong here?

Edited by wesleykey

Smort: Like the coin and the way you kept it simple. I don't think though that we can do raised metal on these. But it would still look nice if you put the font in black or dark gray.

What do you mean? The coin has to have raised metal sections -- these are what separate the various epoxy colors and keep them in their separate little pockets. Think of the final coin as having 2 levels.... one level will be recessed a small amount and each unique pocket can be filled with 1 of 4 colors. The other level will be polished and plated with whatever metal type finish/plating (black nickel, silver, gold, nickel, copper, etc...) we end up having.

I think that there will not be any more than these 2 levels of metal, but surely every space that is not "filled with epoxy" will be instead the exposed metal in the plating finish. So if you want to, you could just have one background color (all filled with epoxy) and the metal that is not recessed would define the image.

I hope that I've been clear enough here.... or I may have to try again to explain!!!

Suggestion that a cutoff be established and those who have good art work and ahve paid get production rolling. Latecomers, those with no art yet, and those who have not paid make it on a second round. You can easily have 1000+ on each round.

Question-- For those who only want 25 or 50 coins how will the die work? Most minters want 100 coins paid for to make a die and they want $75 to $100 for the die fee per side. For example, 25 coins might be a $75 or $100 die fee and then $2.00 or $2.50 each making 25 coins about $125 to $160. If each person in on this pays a few dollars toward the die for the other side of the coin, plus shipping, we could easily approach $200 for 25 coins. Am I wrong here?

I am hoping that this is cheaper than that because all of the coins will have the same basic shape. with a cutout in the same place for all coins. I'm waiting to see the webpage that Atwell said he was working on..... it should have the details that we need to know!

Hmmmmmm........

As I continue to think, would I save money since my art has no colors on it? :rolleyes:

Smort: Like the coin and the way you kept it simple. I don't think though that we can do raised metal on these. But it would still look nice if you put the font in black or dark gray.

What do you mean? The coin has to have raised metal sections -- these are what separate the various epoxy colors and keep them in their separate little pockets. Think of the final coin as having 2 levels.... one level will be recessed a small amount and each unique pocket can be filled with 1 of 4 colors. The other level will be polished and plated with whatever metal type finish/plating (black nickel, silver, gold, nickel, copper, etc...) we end up having.

I think that there will not be any more than these 2 levels of metal, but surely every space that is not "filled with epoxy" will be instead the exposed metal in the plating finish. So if you want to, you could just have one background color (all filled with epoxy) and the metal that is not recessed would define the image.

I hope that I've been clear enough here.... or I may have to try again to explain!!!

Yup I understand how the enameling works. Smort had raised text on metal though. That would be three levels of relief which I thought we could not do on these to keep costs down.

Are these the same quailty as the UK's Tolley coins used to make Pathtags? Are they approved? Would they be allowed and tracked by the geocoin interface or dog tag interface?

My understanding is that these are larger in diameter and thicker than PathTags. Atwell Family also has said that Groundspeak has approved these and they will be trackable at GC.com with an icon and a custom prefix.

Yup I understand how the enameling works. Smort had raised text on metal though. That would be three levels of relief which I thought we could not do on these to keep costs down.

If raised text or an extra color adds 20 cents per coin, you are only looking at $5 additional for 25 coins. Not a lot when you look at the whole price to buy into this deal.

If raised text or an extra color adds 20 cents per coin, you are only looking at $5 additional for 25 coins. Not a lot when you look at the whole price to buy into this deal.

True, true. I have five colors in my design anyways :rolleyes: Black, two blues, two flesh tones, and metal.

True, true. I have five colors in my design anyways :rolleyes: Black, two blues, two flesh tones, and metal.

I will check on the additional colors, but I am not getting into the price for less colors.

I am lost were we supposed to have paid already? I can't find it in the forums. I didn't know we had a price yet. As far as the artwork. I am not sure if I am going with what I have. Since the outline was from another website and I don't have a outline to use for this one yet.

Here is my first try...

Comments anyone? (please)

Geotag-Smort78.jpg

I only see raised metal with text recessed into the metal plus the "white background", which is not defined as metal or enamel, or anything... it would probably look best with enamel of some single color. I don't see the problem.

I am lost were we supposed to have paid already? I can't find it in the forums. I didn't know we had a price yet. As far as the artwork. I am not sure if I am going with what I have. Since the outline was from another website and I don't have a outline to use for this one yet.

Not yet. This is moving fast, but not so fast that you've missed anything yet. We are all waiting for Atwell Family to produce a webpage where we can all submit our artwork and pre-order quantities so that he (and his legion of helpers....) can make this thing come to life! :rolleyes:

Like this then? No colors - just metal

I don't see a problem with what you had, you can have up to 4 colors. I never saw anything posted where there had to be any colors at all. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now, when Atwell Family (Mike) gets his webpage up, all of us can work out any issues regarding designs of our coins at that point. I do like your coin :rolleyes:

So far everyone has posted great designs.

Like this then? No colors - just metal

I don't see a problem with what you had, you can have up to 4 colors. I never saw anything posted where there had to be any colors at all. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now, when Atwell Family (Mike) gets his webpage up, all of us can work out any issues regarding designs of our coins at that point. I do like your coin :rolleyes:

So far everyone has posted great designs.

Yes lot's of nice designs. Can't wait to get mine in and see how the minter interprets it.

Jay I'd be happy to help you, as I've told the others right now I don't have a fee, you just give me what you think it's worth when I am finished!

And yet another prime example of what this community is really about, way to go Jen!!

*snickers* this is my way of getting out of diaper duty!!! "Sorry hun, I"m working on geocoin designs, can you change the baby please!" Also works great for, "can you bathe the baby, can you feed the baby & can you put the baby to sleep"

OK not really, I LOVE my baby, please don't take that seriously. I love playing with designs and learning more about how Adobe works, this gives me every reason to do that!!! Now I've got a mailbox full so I should be up for quite awhile tonight!!!

Jay I'd be happy to help you, as I've told the others right now I don't have a fee, you just give me what you think it's worth when I am finished!

And yet another prime example of what this community is really about, way to go Jen!!

*snickers* this is my way of getting out of diaper duty!!! "Sorry hun, I"m working on geocoin designs, can you change the baby please!" Also works great for, "can you bathe the baby, can you feed the baby & can you put the baby to sleep"

OK not really, I LOVE my baby, please don't take that seriously. I love playing with designs and learning more about how Adobe works, this gives me every reason to do that!!! Now I've got a mailbox full so I should be up for quite awhile tonight!!!

Oops, I'm guilty of contributing to your full mailbox :rolleyes: as I sent a request for help! I'm so impressed with the designs everyone is coming up with. Time for me to get myself to a class to learn the how-to's of all this.

Thank you all for jumping in on my idea. :(

Up to date information is available at GeoTags

I realized in the first post I indicated $2.50-$3.00 range. I did have pricing about .10-.15 cheaper thinking we could get the 500 or 1000 piece price because of the quantity we are ordering. This is not the case the mint insists on treating each design separately. Because of the total number, the mint is giving us the 100 piece price on orders less than 100, so this is good :) . Because of the number of people involved I was able to make up some of the difference by spreading the icon and back mold changes over 2000 coins not just 1000 :blink: .

• Jamie provides professional art work $25 a geotag design + one finished tag. Contact information is as follows: Jamie Jones - MadHattersNeverland.com - ToyHappy@hotmail.com
  • I will be shipping these from Colorado to you, which is not included in the price. For any orders of 50+ coins, I will ship with insurance and via flat rate Priority Mail ($4.25 + insurance). For orders of less than 50 it will still be insured but shipped regular post.
  • To take advantage of the opening special I need your artwork to me by April 4. I will be out of town the last week of March and the first few days of April. So if you don't hear back right away it may be because of that. I will then get the artwork approved by Groundspeak and have the mint produce final artwork. Please provide artowrk in jpg, gif or bmp form.

If you have any question please feel free to email me at mike@atwellatwell.net. I will post answers to all questions in the forum so others can see what has been asked and answered.

So to recap, to take advantage of opening special I need you to complete the form at http://www.atwellfamily.net/geotags.htm by April 4 (with artwork included).

Thanks!

Mike

p.s. I was able to learn a little PHP scripting while doing this project. Please feel free to look at the rest of the site.

Wow! This thing has really taken off in the three days since I was last in here :) Too much going on over the weekend to spend much time on-line, and Sharon was ill yesterday, so I was preoccupied. and then *I* was a bit off my feed today.

Anyway, we're involved in the geo-jellies project, so we would be interested in this one, as well, now that I grasp the concept, especially as we would be able to do some personalizing. We would probably do something along the lines of our avatar (to the left), but cleaned up a bit.

As for the size, while it's probably too late for this, one way around the problem of fitting them into 35mm film cans is to make them oval, or rectangular, with a short axis of maybe an inch, and a long one of maybe 1.5 inches. For ourselves, we don't much care, as we don't even hassle with any swag when we know we're looking for them. An Altoids tin is something else, as most geocoins will fit in those.

Anyway, we'll check out the website and see what's what.

Mike:

Does opting for some non-trackables reduce the cost at all or is the cost the same regardless?

Ex. Is 20 trackable, 5 non trackable (20%) on order of 25 still $100? or less

or is 40 trackable, 10 non trackable (20%) on the order still $160? or less

I will likely go with an order of 50 and am trying to work this into my budget - SHIVER!

Thanks

jAY miLLS

Mike:

Does opting for some non-trackables reduce the cost at all or is the cost the same regardless?

Ex. Is 20 trackable, 5 non trackable (20%) on order of 25 still $100? or less

or is 40 trackable, 10 non trackable (20%) on the order still $160? or less

I will likely go with an order of 50 and am trying to work this into my budget - SHIVER!

Thanks

jAY miLLS

The first 25 have to be trackable but if you wanted to order 30 the other 5 colud be non-trackalbe and the cost would be reduced by $1.50 on the non-trackable GeoTags, the cost of the tracking number.

I am confused about the artwork:

Can I use the gif file I have already done? The only thing that is missing is the cutout. I have not a clue how to import my artwork into your template, if it could even be done?

Are all color wheels the same, what I mean, are the color numbers I have from my color wheel I used the numbers you will need for artwork. If so do I put those in the comments?

Sorry for all the questions,

Charlene

Definitely!

Count me in..... now what are the deadlines for submitting artwork and the like? Is there an upper limit on participation? Metal finish types -- are we limited to one finish, or can we branch out and make copper, gold, etc?

The finishes are nickel and brass. If we get past 1000 I'll see if I can get additional but the cost of the other finishes is usually more.

Thanks for joining the crowd.

We got past 1000, will we be able to get other finishes at an additional cost?

Two questions:

For the Brass and Nickel plating do we need to choose one metal for our entire order, or may we split the finishes 50/50, etc.?

Also, I realize this is jumping ahead a bit as we are still working on design - but just out of curiosity, how will the activation codes be handled? Will they be housed on coincodes.com or somewhere similar, or will we be incharge of them individually? Or perhaps the activation code will be the same for all of the geotags?

Just wondering.

Oh and THANKS BIGTIME to Atwell Family for your work in making this project possible.