Winter Caching

PopUpPirate

1. I love the tingly face you get when you've been in the wind all day

2. I like the fact that there's lots of mud abou8t for me to fall into

3. I think it's great on a really sunny day when there's somehow a belting lock on the satelites

4. wrapping up warm... somehow very romantic!

5. getting sunshine, always lifts my mood on these short, dark days!

What can be better then going out for a walk on a really crisp, clear blue winters day with frost or snow on the grass?

Sitting by the lakeside... ice in the margins and a hint of mist coming of the water in the still air. A 'beep' from the bite indicator and a 'weeeeeee....' as line screams from the bait-runner.......Oh, sorry, wrong forum :cry::cry:

223051fd-3aa6-4498-a89a-e547434b6cee.jpg

Looking for a micro amdist such glory!

It's no wonder my profile and those of FewKinder and KewFinder show so little summer geocaching and so much winter and autumn geocaching.

The air smells better, one can see for miles ( spot a muggle when they're just a dot on the horizon B) ), and then when one gets back its hot soup and a steaming Badedas bath ......... blisssssssssss :huh::D

Leaves that are not on trees so the signal gets through,

Leaves that are on the ground so you use them to re-hide the cache,

Nettle leaves that have died back so you can get to the hide!

That's why March is the best month for caching:

* spring leaves not yet out to spoil tree cover

* bracken has properly died back - this can take all winter

* evenings getting to a reasonable length

* less chance of snow

Leaves that are not on trees so the signal gets through,

Leaves that are on the ground so you use them to re-hide the cache,

Nettle leaves that have died back so you can get to the hide!

That's why March is the best month for caching:

* spring leaves not yet out to spoil tree cover

* bracken has properly died back - this can take all winter

* evenings getting to a reasonable length

* less chance of snow

The only decent snow we got this year was on the 4th of March :D

Edited by LollyBob

If you don't go out in the Winter then you wouldn't leave the house for weeks at a time!

I spend all year in the country following another pursuit so this is just another chance to get out, taking the family and dog as well!

If you spend all the seasons outside you get to appreciate the different seasons, see the Spring growth and the Summer bloom then watch it die back in the Autumn and Winter months. You see more of life that way, and get to understand what happens!

Every season has it's benefits, and having started this malarky in the Winter at the wettest point it can only get better! :D

Bring it on.

:P:P I hate leaves. I've got four week of raking them up :DB):huh:

J

So much caching, so little time, don't waste it by clearing the garden, do what I did ...get a wife... oops ... runs for cover (if I hide in that pile of leaves in the garden she'll never find me...) :)

ps for the pc brigade, I would never, ever in all seriousness suggest that my lovely wife should clean up the leaves in the garden, it is a preposterous thing to ask her to do ... the chain from the kitchen sink wouldn't stretch that far for one thing... OUCH!

.........and as less cachers go-a-caching then less maintenance is required.. :D ..(that is a positive isn't it?) :)

And if us male cachers are really lucky,Simply Paul may post a lovely winter picture of one of his lady friends in Santa type clothing!!!! :D...or even a GeoBABE!!! :D

Edited by currykev

I really do suffer from SAD and my office have been good enough to put Daylight tubes into my overhead lights above my desk.

I tried to tell them - the best way of me NOT getting SAD is to let me go caching every day in works time, but oddly, they never saw that as an option!!!

As with others, woodland hunts are easier and the God dadgum stinging nettles die away. Another bonus is, you know those really warm humid evenings and you're trying to get back to the car after caching and therefore warm and sweaty and you're being noshed on by midges and all sorts of blood sucking wee beasties.

Winter is good for lack of insects!

Wasps aren't around either, but that's another topic!!

Winter bonuses .

Finding it easier to know what to wear for the day ,just pile it on .

Finding steep hills easier to walk up than they are in the heat of summer .

Finding a vacant parking place in local beauty spots .

Finding some car parking fees aren't charged between oct /march .

And finding it easier to know when to "call it a day" .Darkness does it for us everytime

I seem to be a gourmet dinner for all types of midges... I dread camping events, when I have to be coated head to toe in repellent... Even when coated I get a good leg full of bites!

Thanks God I'm not allergic to repellent!

Anyone got any good tips for avoiding being bitten?

I seem to be a gourmet dinner for all types of midges... I dread camping events, when I have to be coated head to toe in repellent... Even when coated I get a good leg full of bites!

We have a friend who the midges find more tasty than us .

When we stay close to her we don't get bitten :wub:

FaIliing that hubby sometimes wears a camo face net (goes all round his head over a baseball cap and tucks into his collar all round ).

Looks silly but he has the last laugh when others are getting bitten about the neck and face .

What repellent do you use? I've found to my cost that anything that is quoted as being 'herbal / natural / eco-friendly' will be totally useless. Even the much recommended Avon 'Skin So Soft' is only partially effective (on me, anyway... it only works if I'm indoors :wub: ). The only way to avoid being bitten is to declare war on 'em... chemical war!!! The best I've found is 'Expedition 50' for applying to skin and 'Expedition 100', which is 95% DEET, for spraying on cuffs, socks and hat bands.

What repellent do you use? I've found to my cost that anything that is quoted as being 'herbal / natural / eco-friendly' will be totally useless. Even the much recommended Avon 'Skin So Soft' is only partially effective (on me, anyway... it only works if I'm indoors :wub: ). The only way to avoid being bitten is to declare war on 'em... chemical war!!! The best I've found is 'Expedition 50' for applying to skin and 'Expedition 100', which is 95% DEET, for spraying on cuffs, socks and hat bands.

There's your answer... go caching with Pharisee... they will all attack him and you will be fine! :)

Wear ice hockey goaltenders kit? :cry:

Not practical for caching but it keeps the little buggers out :huh:

A bit drastic, but avoid dairy produce. Seriously. A friend of mine is lactose intollerant and swears that when she stopped eating lactose the midges lost interest and this is supposed to be a known issue. Apparently, dairy produce also gives you a snotty nose (for want of a better expression), so if you suffer from sniffy-type-allergies, reducing your milk intake should help there too.

B.