Geoscouting - Hoxie, Ks Scout Coin

KSWader

proof.jpg

This coin is being produced to help send Boy Scouts to the 2010 USA National Jamboree. All of the proceeds from the sales of the coins will go directly to sending boys from the Hoxie, KS Troop #160 to the jamboree. The more coins that we sell, the more opportunities we can give boys from our community to attend the jamboree.

The coin features a vintage scout saluting with the USA Flag in the background. The reverse of the coin features the Scout sign along with the Scout Oath which all scouts live by.

The coin is trackable on Geocaching.com with a special icon.

The coin is currently in production and will go on sale Thurs, Feb 16.

Images of the icon as well as ordering information can be found here

Hoxie, KS Scout Coin

I'll buy 5. I was in Scouting for 19 years and an Eagle Scout. My dad was a Lone Scout as a kid in Kansas and was active in the District while I was growing up. 1 I will keep, I'll give 1 to him, and 2 are for trade. Concerning the 5th, I just got an e-mail while I was typing this asking if I had bought any, and to get one for her so she could trade me something for it.

I just hope I have the geocoins in my hot little hands so I can give dad one in person while he is down for a visit from anchorage Alaska.

To answer a few questions.

There are 500 coins being produced and they will be split between two sales. 480 are going to be for sale on the website. You can click on the link in the original post to see when the exact times of the sales are available for your area.

The price of the coins are $7.50 each + the shipping.

We are hoping that the coins are very popular so we can do a series of these to help get more boys to national jamboree and possibly a few to world jamboree.

Just a little background on our area. Yes we know that a scout is thrifty but each scout will still have to earn their way to national jamboree - if not monetary but in community service projects. We are in a very poor agricultural area and many of the scouts' families have a hard enough time just paying the small yearly dues. The last jamboree we only had one boy from our district make it to the national jamborre. We are doing everything possible to change that in 2010.

If this coin prooves popular, we are hoping to have future coins featuring the scout law, outdoor code, good turn daily, scout ranks, etc.

One thing that we are doing is giving the Webelos scouts a coin if they can learn the Scout Oath and Scout Law by the time the coin comes out.

Thanks for all the kind words so far and for the support for our scouts!

If all 500 sell out quickly, which I suspect that they might, would you consider doing a second run?

We have talked about this but not completely sure what the right thing would be to do. It would be great to get the boys as much money as possible so we counld send more boys to jamboree. After all, the coin is made with profits to a chariety.

I personally think that the collector's would rather have a more LE (so the coins have a higher resale) and then have a completely different version come out next. If they sell out quickly, the next edition could be done in a larger release.

Anyone have a feeling on the LE of a chariety coin?

Depending on the sales, we definitely would love to do more in a series for the boys.

If all 500 sell out quickly, which I suspect that they might, would you consider doing a second run?

Depending on the sales, we definitely would love to do more in a series for the boys.

I think you should definitely consider minting at least 800 of this coin, possibly 1000. Scouting is VERY popular among geocachers and as such, this coin would have a much broader appeal even without the charitable aspect. Perhaps make the other versions that don't apply to geocaching more limited. What do you think?

I think you should definitely consider minting at least 800 of this coin, possibly 1000. Scouting is VERY popular among geocachers and as such, this coin would have a much broader appeal even without the charitable aspect. Perhaps make the other versions that don't apply to geocaching more limited. What do you think?

The potential popularity is why I asked about more coins. For this issue, I'm less concerned about the limited nature of the edition. I would order more than I usually do because it is a NICE looking coin and I can easily incorporate it into my scouting program. I'll be there right there when it drops and can hopefully place my order, but some coins have gone pretty quick - for example, several hundred bigfoot coins went in under 2 minutes. I'd hate to see the troop get burned by ordering to many, but on the other hand I really want 5 or 6 and maybe more. Most replies here have suggested more than the regular desire for one or two. IMO, as the first scouting coin out there, this coin has the potential to be very popular.

Considering I used to live in Kansas... and I am an Eagle Scout, I would also like to support your cause.

Were you and Tim ever in the same troop Jake? That was so long ago Tim can't remember!

:mellow:

Anyhow, we are definately in for a few of these. We have helped the local troops learn about cachin' through demonstrations during their camporee's and will give some out at the next one.

:ph34r:

I agree, and look how fast some of these other coins on that site have been selling out. This one will most likely do the same. Hopefully my luck will strike again for this one.

You can count us in for a few.

After all, the coin is made with profits to a chariety.

I personally think that the collector's would rather have a more LE (so the coins have a higher resale)

The purpose of the coin is to make money for the scout troops not to make money for the collectors. Why do you need to worry about the resale value?

Make 800, they will sell.

The purpose of the coin is to make money for the scout troops not to make money for the collectors. Why do you need to worry about the resale value?

Make 800, they will sell.

You said it better. I'd actually want to release one of these as a TB :mellow: Since you probably just approved a proof for order KSW, it shouldn't be any trouble to increase the order by 300-500 more coins. Seriously. These will sell.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I would love to see a series based on the 12 laws of scouting. Kind of like the Norman Rockwell stuff.

Why not produce more than 500 to sale to more people that want them and to full fill the requests. This gives more money to send the boys to Jamboree. Is this money to send them to Jamboree to visit or to participate for the week? If this is for the week to participate you are going to need lots of $$$$

Thanks for all the great words about the coin. I have sent an email off to see if the coin could be opened up to a larger edition so noone will miss out.

I am working with a "store" the is funding the coin so it is pretty much up to them if they will fund over the 500 originally agreed upon.

After all, the money will help get some boys to jamboree!

Looks like there is a lot of eagle scouts on the list! I missed out on scouting as a youth and my boys brought me into scouting and I love it!

I heard back tonight already! WOW a fast reply from the store.

We are going ahead and keeping it at the initial 500 count for these sales due to the production time. If we took additional orders, it would violate PayPal as the coins would not arrive in time.

So if you are unable to get through and place an order on Thursday and Friday and it is a sell-out, let us know and we will see if there in enough interest for a second run of the coins. After all, its for the boys!