Georgia Peach Coin

Phantom_Dog

Ok folks, we were initally told the peach was going to be an LE of 200. Now I see (since the makers have money in hand) that the run has been increased to 330. What ever happened to honesty and truth in advertising? We are now getting a "not so limited" edition. Is anyone else really honked off about this?

I say, cut them some slack. They listed 200 coins for sale which sold out in 2 minutes. In fact, it oversold by 130 coins in those two minutes. They decided that the only fair way to handle this was to order the extra coins so everyone would get the ones they ordered. They weren't trying to cheat anyone, in fact, they were trying to play fair. If you got your peach, be happy.

Just my two cents about this matter. When the makers of the Georgia Peach Limited edition announced the sale a LOT of people were waiting. So many in fact that we caused pay pal to hiccup. OVER 300 were sold in under 3 minutes. The way I understand it the people who are selling the coin made the decision to mint the number of coins needed to cover that initial FRENZY only. I could be wrong, but I think this was done in order to appease THE MOST people. They were VERY upfront about minting more coins AND said so more than once. If this upset some people at the time then they were in the minority. Not saying who was right or wrong, just trying to express my opinion. For what it's worth the limited Georgia Peach is still that. DEFINITELY more limited than the round. I think that some other coin groups as well as this one will now sell limited coins using an invoice on demand system that requires individual invoices be sent out and paid for within a certain time or your allocation goes to someone else.

Ok folks, we were initally told the peach was going to be an LE of 200. Now I see (since the makers have money in hand) that the run has been increased to 330. What ever happened to honesty and truth in advertising? We are now getting a "not so limited" edition. Is anyone else really honked off about this?

Tell you what. If you don't want yours anymore, I'll take it (them) off your hands for you. Let me know.

I say, cut them some slack. They listed 200 coins for sale which sold out in 2 minutes. In fact, it oversold by 130 coins in those two minutes. They decided that the only fair way to handle this was to order the extra coins so everyone would get the ones they ordered. They weren't trying to cheat anyone, in fact, they were trying to play fair. If you got your peach, be happy.

^^^^^ Said much more succintly than me ^^^^^ :lol:

Ok folks, we were initally told the peach was going to be an LE of 200.  Now I see (since the makers have money in hand) that the run has been increased to 330.  What ever happened to honesty and truth in advertising?  We are now getting a "not so limited" edition.  Is anyone else really honked off about this?

Absolutely!! The price was set based on a LE of 200. I requested a refund, as I wouldn't be getting what I paid for. Wonder if that will happen... :lol:

Ok folks, we were initally told the peach was going to be an LE of 200.  Now I see (since the makers have money in hand) that the run has been increased to 330.  What ever happened to honesty and truth in advertising?  We are now getting a "not so limited" edition.  Is anyone else really honked off about this?

Absolutely!! The price was set based on a LE of 200. I requested a refund, as I wouldn't be getting what I paid for. Wonder if that will happen... :lol:

I will take your coin or coins and give you 3 more dollars than you paid for each :(

As I've pointed out on another thread, we are not proffesionals at this (most of us anyway). Nit picking about the particulars of a coin offering is no different than the people who go to an event and nit pick the way the event is done. (Especially if it's folks who've never done an event themselves). People do the best they can and make decisions they believe are correct and fair and that is the most we ask. Having participated in a number of coin offerings, I understand the work that goes into it and the agonizing decisions that can be faced.

Having said that, what might have been appropriate here was to anounce the delema and the intended solution and offer refunds to those who wanted it (there is no cost to doing a Paypal refund). Particularly since the "Limited Edition" was emphasised. Since the coin is already selling on Ebay for well above the offering price, one wonders whether that would be the best financial move for the cacher wanting the refund.

BTW, didn't someone open a whinning thread?

this was done in order to appease THE MOST people.

What is easy and what is right are two very different things. They chose the easy path. SHAME ON THEM!

I would have offered mine up, but instead I was foolish and arranged for a trade on someone's second after I missed out on the inital order, based on the information available. That was yet another lesson learned: dont make trades for items that do not exist.

I traded away way too much for this coin. It is not fair to blame the person I traded with, not his fault as he did not authorize the 65 PERCENT INCREASE IN QUANTITY produced. The run was ACTIVELY MARKETED as an LE of 200 pieces. They should have sold us what they advertised. This is an easy concept to get.

I guess the good news is indeed that it was "only a coin". I would hate to see this type of practice perpetuated elsewhere with something important.

For us, we went away from setting a time when orders will open. Seems like Paypal has a hard time with a lot of orders from one site at one time anyways :lol:.

So, we went out, paid for hosting which includes inventory tracking and when we are ready, send an email out to those who requested to purchase. Knowing that everyone isnt on email all the time, this would allow orders to come in over the next few hours. We also keep the link private for about 24 hours and limit the number to make sure all those who requested for a coin, has a chance to get one.

I dont know if this is the best way, but it seems to have worked ok for us.

nielsenc

Good afternoon :lol:

When we did the offering for the Georgia Stone Mountian and Peach coins, we advertised it and chose to use a shopping cart and paypal link so everyone could do it themselves and it would hopefully save us some work. We even cut the paypal link off 45 seconds into the sale. We still over sold by 130 something coins. At that time we made the decision to honor the sales and keep the most people happy. We made a public apology and explanation at that time. If anyone had wanted a refund we were and still are prepared to give it.

In retrospect, selling through paypal and a shopping cart was not the best choice, but at that time we didn't know that. Our next coins are going to be sold via email and an invoice system. More work for us, easier to keep track of and not have oversales.

The coins will be in our hands on Monday and we will begin distribution next week.

Phantom_Dog and Bluegillfisherman, please send me your email addy and I will happily refund your money tonight when I get home.

Thank you all for your continued support and patience and we hope you enjoy your coins when you receive them :(

Thorny1

Edited by Thorny1
this was done in order to appease THE MOST people.

What is easy and what is right are two very different things. They chose the easy path. SHAME ON THEM!

I would have offered mine up, but instead I was foolish and arranged for a trade on someone's second after I missed out on the inital order, based on the information available. That was yet another lesson learned: dont make trades for items that do not exist.

I traded away way too much for this coin. It is not fair to blame the person I traded with, not his fault as he did not authorize the 65 PERCENT INCREASE IN QUANTITY produced. The run was ACTIVELY MARKETED as an LE of 200 pieces. They should have sold us what they advertised. This is an easy concept to get.

I guess the good news is indeed that it was "only a coin". I would hate to see this type of practice perpetuated elsewhere with something important.

I am sure there are a few others that have hard feelings on the subject. But it seems that the buyers of the first 200 are generally OK with the decision. And the decision seems to have been made to try and minimize the number of alienated cachers. Unfortunately, you are part of that (hopefully) small group. I am not suggesting that your displeasure is in any way invalid.

I think a lot of lessons were learned on this one. And the sellers of this coin have earned enough "attaboys" in other ways that I think we shouldn't heap too much shame on them.

If I hadn't messed up my order and only ordered 1 there would be 331 coins :lol:

If anyone is so unhappy about this I'm with GrandpaKim. I'll be happy to take one or more off your hands at the price you paid for them plus enough to cover the paypal fee if your paypal account requires you to pay fees for recieving money. Or if someone demands a full refund I'd be tickled to luck into a couple open for sale.

So that we don't minimize Phantom Dog's complaint (which has been addressed by Thorny1 I think), he didn't buy the coin. He traded for it.

My two cetns? Yes, this is only a coin and only a game....but:

If you said you're only doing 200 of them and priced them accordingly - stick to it. If you oversold, issue the refunds but don't mint 65% more coins.

I understand the intent was not to cheat, but I think the worng decision was made.

They don't need to be dragged through the mud as I'm sure lessons were learned - but if we're asking for opinions on how it was handled this time around, I think it was wrong.

Phantom_Dog, I will offer to trade you a Silver Mount McKinley - which if I remember correctly, had even less coins minted then our Peach coins did. I would prefer no one got one of our coins who did not want it/appreciate it. Or if I have another coin in my trading list that you would prefer let me know.

T1

If you said you're only doing 200 of them and priced them accordingly - stick to it. If you oversold, issue the refunds but don't mint 65% more coins.

I understand the intent was not to cheat, but I think the worng decision was made.

They don't need to be dragged through the mud as I'm sure lessons were learned - but if we're asking for opinions on how it was handled this time around, I think it was wrong.

Fair enough, Kealia, we chose what we thought (and still think) at the time was the correct answer, since Paypal screwed up. We were still recieving orders for the Peach coins over 30 mins after we had closed the link with time stamps from before it was closed. The timestamps were all mixed together and people we had already told were on the list would have been removed from it if we did it the other way and only sold 200 coins.

We appreciate your honesty and opinion and have taken the steps so this will not happen again with one of our coin editions.

Thanks!

T1

Edited by Thorny1

First off I suspect that everyone who is doing these coins is doing the best they can. Until you do one the first time you have no real idea as to what works and what doesn't.

That being said, for those who purchased or traded for the LE are you really saying that if you knew the issue was 330 and not 200 you wouldn't have purchased them or done the trade?

The thing I am a little confused about though is this: Are all of the coins being put in the public domain or are some being held for trade / sale by the people making the coin. For instance:

I made a total 580 San Francisco coins. I sold approximately 535. The balance are for trade or to send into the wild.

So did those who made the coin not keep any or are the included in the purchasers or did they make and keep more?

:lol: wow!

(to be on topic, it'd be nice to know the numbers up front and that they'll stay that way. But since sometimes coins are sold by 'pre-order' knowing how many will be made isn't known till the ordering stopped. Which leads into the ordering... I've heard there isn't an easy way to tell paypal to stop accepting money, like after any given number have sold... so ending up with more sold than was intended could happen.)

Is anyone else really honked off about this?

No.

Heck...even with the oversell, I missed out on the offering. The Peach is a sharp looking unique coin which will remain in demand regardless of the number of coins issued.

Groups which produce a state coin are faced with a lot of decisions along the way and sometimes they have to make decisions on the fly. Some decisions work out, so don't. No matter which decision is made, some cachers will be happy, some won't. I vote for cutting coin coordinators some slack because they can't please everybody.

I say, cut them some slack.  They listed 200 coins for sale which sold out in 2 minutes.  In fact, it oversold by 130 coins in those two minutes.  They decided that the only fair way to handle this was to order the extra coins so everyone would get the ones they ordered.  They weren't trying to cheat anyone, in fact, they were trying to play fair.  If you got your peach, be happy.

:( wow!

(to be on topic, it'd be nice to know the numbers up front and that they'll stay that way. But since sometimes coins are sold by 'pre-order' knowing how many will be made isn't known till the ordering stopped. Which leads into the ordering... I've heard there isn't an easy way to tell paypal to stop accepting money, like after any given number have sold... so ending up with more sold than was intended could happen.)

The only thing you can do is your own inventory control as orders are taken. Paypal at times did not send me peoples payments for up to 8 hours after payment was made. But I knew how many had sold with ou that, look around at the other groups that are selling coins and ask questions that is what I did. Why re-invent a process that someone else has already figured out. I found that most were willing to share the code as long as they did not have to explain it :( . That all being said unitl you go through this process and experience first hand what goes with it , you have no idea of what you are in for :lol: .

It would have been a hard call to of had to make but the eaiest thing was just to produce a few more coins. It's still a low enough produced to make the coin highly saught after coin. If they had gone the other way and refunded peoples money it would have created a barage of hate mail from 147 people. I think its great that they are willing to take back the coins from people that are upset but I bet hardley any will goback if any. If they do go back I hope I can get some. :(

Agreed! Limiting the edition is more so a guarantee to the future owners and general community rather than just those who purchase it. I do not believe this situation was handled as it should have been (everyone appears to have different opinion on that).

A big thumbs up to Thorny for doing his best to correct it though.

Considering the order the successful buyers were listed that day, I was in the first 50 buyers or so for both coins and I'm not at all bothered by the fact that more coins were minted to cover the orders that came in before the spigot could get cut off. I'm surprised any of these coin sales have gone as well as they have and I'd like to thank everyone who's been involved in the production of coins. I'm sure it's a thankless job and mostly a lot of aggravation.

As I remember, the price for the peach coins wasn't significantly higher than the regular coin and it was limited to only two so it's not like it was a big investment gone sour. 330 is still not very many coins and it's a great big world. I'm not really able to understand how geocoin collecting has become a competitive sport.

I just wish there was an easier way to buy coins so we wouldn't have to sit around checking our computers all the time.

The Georgia Coin sales showed the limitations of PayPal as a tool. In theory it should of worked to cut sales off at the right number. The reality was different.

Had PayPal worked correctly there would be no issue.

Given it didn't every method that the Georgia folks could use to correct the situation would have left unhappy campers. However now we know that PayPal has issues and can plan for it.

Since I didn't get one, I really don't care one way or the other. What I do need to know is the actual number for future trades. So if the final word is 330...that works for me.

Edited by Renegade Knight

If you said you're only doing 200 of them and priced them accordingly - stick to it. If you oversold, issue the refunds but don't mint 65% more coins....

I agree with your solution, but (devils advocate time) if PayPal was going to charge them a fee to have processed the orders and that fee was just gone...I can understand why they may have chosen to honor the orders rather than loose money on the deal. There is also the paperwork to figure out who loses out.

While I'd rather see 200, be 200, I can't blame them for what they did.

Absolutely!! The price was set based on a LE of 200. I requested a refund, as I wouldn't be getting what I paid for. Wonder if that will happen... :mmraspberry:

Either way a TRUE geocoin addict would buy one anyways. It's better them minting extra's for the people that ordered them within the time frame rather then over bidding at the EVIL place I wont mention.

Edited by Mystery Ink

I just wanted to comment since I have recently entered the fray of selling GeoCoins via PayPal. I was a tad concerned when we built the web site that I couldn't set a cut-off number for coin sales. In the end, the overall convenience of PayPal won us over (they make shipping labels - whoo!). As an artist, I know the importance of edition numbers to collectors. Rest assured, there will only be 200 TikiCoins made of each type - and of those, only 190 are offered for sale. I am even going to take the extra step of destroying the molds! Ms. Tiki and I have our eyes glued to our PayPal account and will stop sales as soon as 190 are sold.

Happy Holidays -

TIki aka Henrik

This whole issue was a learning experience. When you start advertising an item with an already great demand nearly a week before it goes on sale you need to expect your website/paypal/whatever to get hammered. I had a feeling there would be problems, and obviously there were. Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, like I said it was a learning experience.

Like others have said, though, I too think the wrong decision was made. The makers of the coin said 200 were going to be minted. Going ahead and minting 130 more is not the fair thing to do, it's a plain and simple case of going back on your word. You all say that it's still limited compared to the regular Georgia coin, but that's not the point. To some of us 200 isn't even a very limited number, and upping that to 330 just makes it a boring old coin that everyone has. Frankly I'm glad I didn't buy one.

I don't think giving a coin to people who by all rights shouldn't have gotten one is fair at all. Giving refunds to those last 130 people would have taken more time, but it would have been the right thing to do. Sometime the fairest thing to do upsets more people than it pleases.

Phantom_Dog: We are sorry that you are so "furious" over the coin issue. As Thorny1 stated, we did what we thought was the only right thing to do, since PayPal had a hiccup which caused 130 more coins to be sold. You certainly have the right to be upset, but remember - it's a FRIGGIN' COIN. There is no need to go on a pointless tirade as you seem to have been carrying on.

We had no intention of "deceiving" the public and we did not. We were very vocal about the snafu with PayPal, almost immediately. Big deal - so we decided to run another 130 coins to cover the extra orders. Heck, did you know that we even put the coins that we (the 5 member coin gang) BOUGHT into the mix, to cover the extra orders? No, I'm sure you didn't, as you preferred to air this publically and didn't ASK us.

Just out of curiousity - and be honest with yourself. What happened if you were the 201st person to get a Limited Edition Peach Coin and then told that you can't have the coin? I bet my bottom dollar that you would be the first on the list to complain that you have paid for it and that you expect to have it. Yea, I thought so.

Cut us some slack, we are only human.

Team PEZ

Seems to me that many of the people complaining about this or that have not gone through the process of developing, minting, labeling, and shipping coins! :santa: It doesn't happen by magic. :mmraspberry: I know we learned some things when we did ours, and I'm sure everyone else has to.

I like to put a "Thank you!" on my Paypal note because I know what a chore it is. We labeled all of ours though, we didn't cheat and use a activation retrieval system :drama: (though we will next time!!)

I got 2 of each Georgia coin and am happy to have gotten that. At only 330, they're still rare.

Enjoy your peach coin, you're only 1 of 330 who have one.

:santa:

Absolutely!! The price was set based on a LE of 200. I requested a refund, as I wouldn't be getting what I paid for. Wonder if that will happen... :santa:

Just to set the record straight Cyyde you requested your refund 8 hours ago. I have just returned home from work and read your comments and have processed your request. :mmraspberry:

"Name:

Clyde XXXXXXX

Email:

XXXXXXXX@XXzmail.com

Original Amount:

$20.00 USD

Gross Refund Amount:

$20.00 USD

Net Refund Amount:

$19.12 USD

Fee Refunded:

$0.88 USD

Source of Funds:

Balance"

8:41pm EST 25/NOV/2005

Tom

GA Cacher

aka longash@gmaildotcom :drama:

Why not a solution that pisses everybody off and makes more work for everybody. Honor all the orders but for one coin only and issue partial refunds to everybody. That would make it about 165 coins. Then sell the rest (to 200 coins) on Ebay with proceded above the asking price going to charity. You would get to see the real worth of the coin, help charity and let anybody that realy really had to have this coin pay through the nose. But then there is no trading if everybody only has one.

Seriously, I think limited edition coins should also be limited to one per person and should never be less than 250 coins. Better to have many people feel good than a very few feel really great.

By the way I did get the Georgia peach and quickly trade the extra for what was to me a hard to get very old state coin I needed. Even though I benefited, I dont think the system is right.

Now the tough question to Thorny---How many coins did each of your team get. I hope it wasn't something life 5 team members at 10 coins each!

Phantom_Dog: We are sorry that you are so "furious" over the coin issue. As Thorny1 stated, we did what we thought was the only right thing to do, since PayPal had a hiccup which caused 130 more coins to be sold. You certainly have the right to be upset, but remember - it's a FRIGGIN' COIN. There is no need to go on a pointless tirade as you seem to have been carrying on.

We had no intention of "deceiving" the public and we did not. We were very vocal about the snafu with PayPal, almost immediately. Big deal - so we decided to run another 130 coins to cover the extra orders. Heck, did you know that we even put the coins that we (the 5 member coin gang) BOUGHT into the mix, to cover the extra orders? No, I'm sure you didn't, as you preferred to air this publically and didn't ASK us.

Just out of curiousity - and be honest with yourself. What happened if you were the 201st person to get a Limited Edition Peach Coin and then told that you can't have the coin? I bet my bottom dollar that you would be the first on the list to complain that you have paid for it and that you expect to have it. Yea, I thought so.

Cut us some slack, we are only human.

Team PEZ

Isn't this a bit harsh? Unless there are emails and other messages being traded outside of this thread I'd hardly call his posts (2 of them) a tirade.

Yes, it's a learning experience and that's why it's being discussed - so others don't make the same mistake, right?

As for your question - if I was #201 and I knew going in that only 200 were available I'd feel like I just missed the window. That's what cut-offs and deadlines are for.

Having gone through the coin making process 7 times now (Santa Cruz coin + the 2 Canine Coins + working on 4 other group coins) I've made a few mistakes as well. Is it easy? No. Is it a lot of work? Yes. That doesn't change the fact that the coin edition was increased.

In a similar thread many people posted that it was wrong to mint more than stated. Where are those same people now?

Again, I realize it was honest mistake but it was a mistake (IMO) and that's what we're discussing.