Stickers Instead Of Signature

The rules for finding a physical cache seem pretty simple to me. You find the cache, you sign the log, and you can count a find.

However, recently it seems that there are some people, mainly number-punchers, who cannot be bothered to take the 30 seconds or so it would require to actually sign the log themselves, and instead slap a pre-printed sticker with their name onto the log sheet.

Seems to me that this doesn't qualify for a "Found it!" log.

Discuss.

I think that the inevitable excuses about illegible handwriting are only excuses: that dog don't hunt for me. The real reason people do it is purely for numbers. 30 seconds to log a cache times 100 caches is nearly an hour in a cache-marathon day.

Edited by fizzymagic

I've never really been big on writing in the log book either but I'm not resourceful enough to get a sticker. I personally think its fine to slap a sticker on there.

And just curious since when do you have to write in the log book to count it as a find, and how much do you have to write before it is considered a find?

I do not have a problem with cachers who use a sticker, they are there when they place the sticker. Sure they can have a friend place a sticker for them, but they can also have a friend sign a log for them.

I do not think this is a problem and I know it is not just cachers going for numbers. I came across some new cachers at a cache that I was also looking for, they had stickers, one of them owns a printing company so they ran off some nice stickers. As far as the bad hand writing goes, this can be a valid reason to use a sticker or a rubber stamp. Rubber stamps and stickers can also be considered sig items that do not leave the cache.

My personal preference is to handwrite each physical cache log. If it's pouring rain, that log will likely be short. If I've hiked 5 miles, I will write something about the hunt that is special, because it is real time feedback, like "ouch! the mosquitos are tearing away the last bits of flesh!" I also write a "signature phrase" in each logbook. Micros, of course, I just sign my name and the date and, if I'm traveling, I write that I'm from Pittsburgh. That personal touch just ain't there for me with most stickers. There are exceptions. There's a big difference between a well-designed sticker with the geocacher's custom logo on it, and room for them to write the date and any items traded, versus a plain white sticker with just their name on it. I like the custom stickers because they have "character." There are a few locals who use them, and I can flip through a log and spot their page very quickly. They will often add a nice note in addition to their stylized sticker.

Heck, anybody could stroll around pasting someone's stickers into logbooks. For that reason, when I found 240 caches in 24 hours to capture the then-current speed caching record, my partner and I made sure that we signed the physical log with a pen. Nobody can say we weren't actually there. And, obviously, it didn't hold us up for very long! :(

Now Fizzy, 20 seconds for 3 cachers to log 100 caches is 1 hour and 40 minutes. If I had an extra 1:40, I'd spend it looking for another 10 caches, or solving just one of your puzzles.

Other upside of labels-- can add an avatar logo and/or cache run name. Downside-- don't stick to damp micro cache logsheets that we come across. Yet there's an upside-- the sticker is legible whereas ink on soggy paper is not.

so anything short of a John Hancock is not a find? what if it its raining and i just want to jot my initials? what if while balancing my gps'r in one hand and the ammo box in the crook of my arm and the log book in the other hand while on the side of a steep incline and a thorn in my tush I am unable to even correctly write my own initials but rather a squiggley rain soaked x of sorts? if you found the darn thing and somehow identify that you found it in the logbook than whats the dealio? heck im impressed when someone gets a sticker made for themselves

I've seen geocachers who also letterbox "sign" cache logs with their letterbox stamp. I'e never had an issue with that (in fact I think its cool) and its little different than using a sticker.

We can take this to absurd lengths. I technically don't sign logbooks because I print my name. Since the logbooks don't have my signature, shall I go and delete all my finds now?

If someone wants to be a pedant and demand signatures in their logbooks, I guess that's their right, but they aren't going to win the most popular award at the next event.

I like the stickers. They are usually cool to look at and have logos and stuff. Its the folks who stick a sticker to the outside of the cache container instead of in the logbook that I don't understand.

(begin rant)And stickers don't belong on/in micros! We are the guardians of two micro logbooks that were filled with stickers to the point that the logbooks no longer fit into their containers. Luckily we had extra scrolls logs and mini books with us on that trip so we swapped the logbooks out and contacted the owners of the micros. Both owners were happy that we had done so, and weren't interested in having the logbooks back so we kept them. It isn't our usual mode of operation (to remove logbooks) but the logbook filling happened on a cache machine. That was at an early machine and I believe at the last one folks were being asked not to use stickers in micros.

(end rant)

Stickers aren't bad if nicely done, I've seen some really pretty ones in Illinois and Colorado. And California had some creative folks who stamped stuff too.

-J

I've seen some nice stickers and some nice stamps. No problem with either of them from me. If all the cacher does is stamp or place a sticker, then likely, if they had a pen all they'd do is sign "User Name". The only problem I've had with a few of them is the stamp image is really too big to put on a micro log - but they do it anyway. Eating up a lot of paper. On the itsy bitsy nano caches with their itsy bitsy logs, all I do is initial IK.

The only problem I have are people who use stickers in micro caches. The stickers take up two or three lines on the log sheet and sometimes make it hard to fold up the log and replace it in the cache. I'm probably guilty of doing this on one or more occassions :(

Edited by tozainamboku

Yeah I'd say a sticker in the logbooks = a "found it"

but,, I really would like to see a date somewhere, either written on the same page or included on the sticker.

And a sticker on the outside of the cache container IMO should not count.. Come'on people,, put just a little effort into it :(

Takes me longer to bring out the ink stamp pad, get the stamp oriented correctly... sometimes it ends upside down. Then try and make a legible stamp than it would to sign my name.

I like seeing the different stamps and printed strips. No big deal either way.

I actually like the stickers. I made some up for myself in two sizes. Both are pretty small, but the ones for micros are tiny. The only problem with them is that I almost always forget to take them out of the jeep with me.

Back when I first started playing the game, I would try to write a nice little log in every book. The problem is, it would so often be incredible hot or buggy that my logs just weren't that special. Eventually, my logs were just the date, my name and 'Thanx'. Heck, my stickers express more than that. While its true that they are not unique to the specific cache, neither was my handwritten log. That's what the online log is for, to me.

It's nice to see more and more stepping away from the hard and fast forum made rule of "If you don't sign the log, it's not a find" :ninja:

I use gold foil stickers when there is room, but I still write something and date/time it. Most of the time, I still sign it. Even in micros, if the log allows room for a log and my sticker will fit in that square, guess what's goin in that square :ninja:

The rules for finding a physical cache seem pretty simple to me. You find the cache, you sign the log, and you can count a find.

However, recently it seems that there are some people, mainly number-punchers, who cannot be bothered to take the 30 seconds or so it would require to actually sign the log themselves, and instead slap a pre-printed sticker with their name onto the log sheet.

Discuss.

I think that the inevitable excuses about illegible handwriting are only excuses: that dog don't hunt for me. The real reason people do it is purely for numbers. 30 seconds to log a cache times 100 caches is nearly an hour in a cache-marathon day.

My paycheck has a stamp instead of a real signature. I'm not about to throw it out for something that petty.

it's quicker for me to write "robert" than to pull a sheet of stickers, peel one off, slap it on the paper, pack my stickers away and go.

:ninja:

but to each their own. if folks like to use stickers, stamps, whatever, that's cool by me. geocaching has always been what you make of it.

it's quicker for me to write "robert" than to pull a sheet of stickers, peel one off, slap it on the paper, pack my stickers away and go.

but to each their own. if folks like to use stickers, stamps, whatever, that's cool by me. geocaching has always been what you make of it.

Actually, I usually write the date and time, a short note, then leave my sticker below it. The Rules of Geocaching say that this is just fine. No "signature" required. :ninja:

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

Does that mean that if I don't take something and leave something then the find doesn't count either? After all the "rules" say that.

Personally I don't care for the stickers. This is especially true for the micros where the log barely fits in the cache. Too many stickers take up way too much room.

Does that mean that if I don't take something and leave something then the find doesn't count either? After all the "rules" say that.

Personally I don't care for the stickers. This is especially true for the micros where the log barely fits in the cache. Too many stickers take up way too much room.

I suppose you could put the same "something" back into the cache :ninja:

You can tell by how few we've found that we're not exactly number chasers.... We use stickers that we print with our photos (golden retrievers, Tobin & Tioga) and home county/state. We actually thought this was a GOOD idea, had no clue some folks would object. We're not much for writing in the log books (it's tough with paws) and probably all we'd do is sign it anyway, so it seems that our personalized stickers are a lot more friendly and informative about us.

The Geo-Goldenz,

Tobin & Tioga

IMHO, the signature is just a form of verification. If you as an owner can confirm a visit to one of your caches, then that should stand. The only reason it exist is for bragging rights so when a person says I found 100 caches another person can be fairly certain that person is telling the truth. I try to keep our cache logs accurate for that reason. However, I don't care to broadcast how many we've found as it is not important to us. The find count on this site is not accurate because we've found more caches than are listed on the site and some caches haven't been logged.

But, back to what I was saying, the log isn't there as a device to keep folks in line. It is there as a device to help you verify a visit. Nothing more.

Do you really have nothing better to complain about? :ninja:

That was my thought.

Actually my first thoughtw as something along the lines of plastering said poster's caches with fifteen thousand stickers. But that would take effort.

I sign my own name - then again fly46 doesn't take much - but I've been on numbers runs with people who get their sticker ready while they're in the car and then as soon as the log is up can just stick it on really quick.

Sure, a numbers run for one or two people it isn't a big deal, but after cache number 141, I was kinda wishing I had stickers of my own. It's *much* easier - and quicker - than having to write everybody's names.

Besides, with the micro logs we use around here, it only takes an extra line up. - I waste the same amount of lines every time my mother signs the log book but doesn't log the cache on line.

Being fairly new to the game, I thought stickers was a great idea. Problem with that is it's more trouble to peel off a sticker, date it then slap it on. It's a lot easier to sign your name and date. That's why I had abandoned my stickers...

But I don't buy the idea that using the stickers is a lazy way...it actually takes more care and effort. My 2 cents :ninja:

The rules for finding a physical cache seem pretty simple to me.  You find the cache, you sign the log, and you can count a find.

Discuss.

I think that the inevitable excuses about illegible handwriting are only excuses:  that dog don't hunt for me.  The real reason people do it is purely for numbers.  30 seconds to log a cache times 100 caches is nearly an hour in a cache-marathon day.

Is this for real?

If stickers really bother you, why not leave a ink pad in the cache

require fingerprints or even better how about a DNA sample?????

:ninja::P:ninja:B):ninja:

I'm going to make a stamp and start using that one of these days. My physical logs are always short. My hand writing sucks and so do most micro logs which just compounds the chicken scratch.

If you have a real beef with it then make signing it by hand a rule for the find. Then you can deletet the online log of anyone who doesn't comply.

I use stickers. I typically have 2 sizes with me as noted below:

The standard size:

SilverLabel.JPG

and the micro size which I sometimes forget to bring along:

site1002.jpg

I clear coat them twice to waterproof them, then I peel off the borders around the stickers, fold the paper in trifold, then in half, then in half again. It's easier to read than my chicken scratchings and they stay relatively protected with the clear coat.

B)

but to each their own.  if folks like to use stickers, stamps, whatever, that's cool by me.  geocaching has always been what you make of it.

Actually, I usually write the date and time, a short note, then leave my sticker below it. The Rules of Geocaching say that this is just fine. No "signature" required. :ninja:

me, too. :P I was commenting on the "stickers are faster" suggestion. :ninja:

I personally like stickers because, I can put our logo on them and then right in the date. I usually write a little note about the hunt in the log book. :ninja: I also like being able to read the stickers of the previous caches which I can not always do if the previous cacher actually writes in the log book.

I have seen some really cool personal stickers in logs. I also have seen some cool stamps. I don't have stickers or a stamp, but I rarely write much in the physical log other than my name or a short note. I save the greater comments for the online log. In the end I guess I really don't care whether they are used or not.

I technically don't sign logbooks because I print my name. Since the logbooks don't have my signature, shall I go and delete all my finds now?

Oh oh I do the same thing. :ninja:

We have a local cachers who uses a paper punch in the shape of a paw print (Red Wolf Team). I think it's very cool.

Stickers are cool too.

Sign your name, that's cool

Write an X, I don't care.

Just have fun.

Most of the stickers I have seen have been quite good. They have the cachers' name(s), what find number it was for them, their logo, their location or some combination of the above. I actually have thought about doing it myself but I am not creative enough to do a "good" sticker.

To me there is no doubt it counts as signing the log and no one will convince me otherwise. :ninja:

Hm. I'd say counts, but cheezy.

Id rather be cheezy than write something people cant read.

yes!

I have bad enough hand writing - then to do so ballanced on my knees - writing on a thin piece of paper - blowing in the wind - shaking from wind and tired legs - and you won't even recognize my signature.

Having said all that - my sticker is not just a sticker I slap on and run away - it has my avatar and my name but I write the cache number (find), the date and time, and then under that some kind of note as appropriate. At least you can read who I am.

Is that better than a scribble you can't read? Guess the beauty in the logging is up the reader brholding it?

Arghhh... couldn't resist.

cc

edit - after reading a bunch more entries here, I wan't to add that I have never seen a sticker on a micro log and I won't use one even on a small book if it does not fit properly, let alone a micro log.

further, stickers don't run, smear, or bleed through the paper. They are easy to read and spot.

cc

Edited by CompuCash

Takes me longer to put my sticker on than it is to write my short name so not sure where that complaint comes from. And I always write the date so suppose you could verify my handwriting that way if you must.

I like stickers. It's a quick way to scan through the logbook and see who has visited previously. The stickers stand out better than just a signature.