Design The Ultimate Gps Holder

Jeremy

I'm fed up with the GPS holders I've seen so far, so I'm looking for some input on what you think would be the best GPS holder out there. This would be a holder while you're on the trail - There are actually enough decent ones for your vehicle.

My favorite so far is one that attaches to the left or right strap on a backpack. The top cover is attached by velcro, and a velcro attachment wraps around the strap. An additional hook is available to attach it to a ring on your strap (if you have one). It has two pockets: one for holding paper (such as cache listings) and the other pocket is expandable to allow different sized GPS units. The nice part about the setup is the GPS can remain in satellite view.

Anything better? Let me know your ideas and I'll see if we can put together some designs.

I'm a proponent of the shoulder strap variety, too. My ideal holder would not be much bigger than the GPS. Of course, I use a rather large Meridian, so my ideal case doesn't need any extra pockets which would serve to make the holder bigger than necessary.

Probably the GPS should come out of the holder fairly easily. That's my complaint with the current Meridian case with the clear window. It's hard to remove, so putting it in the vehicle or bicycle mount is such a hassle that I've done away with carrrying the unit it it's case most of the time.

Jamie

I use this: 97312_1700.JPG

It carries my Merigold , pen and notebook quite handily. I did put the wider stap on it, the one that came with it was too short and too narrow (it dug into my neck).

It also has a velcro strip on the back. It is from Case Logic, model ACP11 (but is no longer being made). I found it at an auto parts store- it was originally made to carry a cel phone by hanging from a headrest. I have had several other cachers who have seen it ask me about it.

Edit: sorry about picture quality and size.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery

Mine would attach in many ways. to your belt, neck, sholder strap of your backpack or your arm thats right arm. The case would be hard plastic that is waterproof and lets you use the gps in its pouch this includes the buttons. the case would snap shut or zip shut the zipper track would be semicircular so you can zip it up in one fluid motion It would have a blinking led light that blinks when it is dark so if you loose it you can find it. It would have an outer pocket that holds small notepads and a pocket that holds other random things on top of that. you could choose the clolor.

Edited by Team ClandestinePenguin

I care too much about my warn meter to post the picture I had in mind for this thread......

......for the Jeep, it would be a suction mount on a long gooseneck, much like the one I used to have for my Geko 101.....

.....for the field, well, I just don't quite know....the ideas I've had run along the lines of the harmonica holders I've seen at the bluegrass shows...some type of apparatus that fits around the neck and holds the GPSr in front of me, but unobtrusively so, and still far enough away so that my failing eyes can still focus on it........and leaves my hands free to deal with other things, such as tree limbs, brush, spiderwebs, or the woman in the picture I had in mind for this thread before my common sense came back to me.

Working off Jeremy's original design, perhaps the GPSr part could be made of a type of mesh, or fishnet material, so that the sat signal will still reach the GPSr, and you could see the screen and operate the buttons without removing it from the pouch.

EDIT: One more thought. Have a pocket made of the same material on the reversible VOMP we've discussed inthis thread about caching vests. I think that's it for now....my brain hurts. :(

Edited by Sparky-Watts

I use the Ultimate GPS Case

8fcdb61b-7866-4c30-9300-fccc45dcd446.jpg

The main pocket has a velcro flap & the GPS keeps signal in it with no problem...I'm not sure how well it would work with a patch antenna. The front pocket (holding the PDA) zips closed. The side mesh pockets hold a mini maglite, spare AA's and pens. The front mesh holds trade items. There is a rain hood that unzips from the back and can cover the entire case.

I usually use the strap that is shown in the picture. My cheap multitool is attached to the strap.

The back of the case has a wide belt loop, but I like Jeremy's idea for a velcro strap attachment. Maybe some needle & thread along with a strap of velcro and I'd be all set.

Edited by Stunod

I have a Camelbak Lobo and loop my Gpsr lanyard through the right shoulder d-ring

and have a snug pouch on the waist strap that the Gpsr slides into to keep it from

flopping around. Pull it from its pouch and it's still attached by the lanyard.

I have a compass,with a small coiled lanyard that attaches to the left shoulder d-ring and rides under the chest strap,but uncoils enough to use it comfortably (It is not as geeky as it sounds :( ).

Camelbak Photo

Regards

Seatrout

Edited by SeaTrout

Ok...bear with me on this. Strap the gps to a headlight harness, lcd facing out, for maximum sat reception. Mount a mirror to one of those neck mounted harmonica brackets so you can read the screen (in reverse).

If that doesn't work out, I'll just clip my sportrak holder to a loop on my daypack shoulder strap.

Best one I have found for my MeriPlat, this one has a Velcro top flap (so no zipper to scratch the screen while placing in/out of the case), D-Loops for quick clip-on, and a Velcro strap in the back, so easy on/off the belt. The small pouch in the front holds extra batts, and it even has a web side pocket for your mini-mag. Only $10 at Fry's Electronics, model #DCRCO1 by Targus...

29083_9100.jpg

You cant beak the Mountainsmith Cairn

The Cairn

The water bottle holders make a perfect gps holder, easily reached by one hand, and maintians good sat. coverage.

Inside it has a paded pocket for your point and shoot digital camera.

The pack is also big enough to carry your raincoat and snacks.

The Garmin Carrying Case for the eTrex series has always worked great for me. Clips to my backpack shoulder strap and has a D ring to attach a lanyard to. No pockets, but I don't want pockets in my GPSr holder - I make sure the jeans I buy have pockets...

I'm using a 60C now, which doesn't have a similar carrying case. :( I got some screen protectors from Strong Engineering, and between those and the belt clip that came with the 60C, I'm content (for now).

I used the GPS Outfitters "Ulitmate GPS Case" for a while, but didn't like the full closure on the top as it seems to obstruct reception. I also didn't think the mounting was flexible enough.

Since then I've started using a Military grade Camelback HAWG to carry my gear - an investment I'd make again in a heartbeat. To compliment it I recently picked up a Maxpedition CP-L. It has MOLLE velcro attachpoints, and a loop you could put through a belt.

I can mount it a hundred different ways on the rear of my pack, or on my shoulder straps, or on my belt. On all configurations the top of the GPSr is clear from obstruction so I maintain great sat reception. The CP-L is also built like a tank, and will probably outlive me :(

http://www.maxpedition.com/catalog/product_cpl.htm

I can't say enough good things about this product or the fellow cacher who I bought it from: http://www.tnrdgrnr.com/maxpedition.

Edited by javamutt

I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to try modifying a bean-bag automobile ash tray (or just make one) to hold the GPSR. I hope it might rest squarely on any of my 3 oddball dashboards. It may just have a plastic cup attached to the tin ash tray, for the GPS to plop into. Or, I may custom make a metal clip for it to snap into.

I like the backpack strap idea and have been exploring that recently. I would ask that it can be easily removed, which I imagine is why you mentioned velcro, and that it have room in an extra pocket for a PDA. I find that stashing the GPS in a mesh water bottle pocket on the pack gets annoying and then I also like to have the PDA handy now that I have finally gone paperless. Put a geocaching logo on it and I'm definitely buying!

I actually at first liked Sparky's suggestion of some kind of harmonica holder thing where the person could see it hands free. But then I realized just how dorky that would look. Now I'm no fashion queen, I look like a dork alot myself, and I like the geek look in others, but that is pushing it! :(

Editd bcause I m such a baad speler.

Edited by carleenp

For the sport trak models a "Sanyo" universal personal radio carrier works wonderfully. Mesh bottom, full screen visability, and two elastic straps that hook over the top to keep it secure. Has a detachable neck lanyard,and a belt clip that fits the tube holder straps om my camelback. Got mine at Wallyworld for about 7 bucks.

Yeah right, I'm king for just one day and I'm going to spend my time designing a GPS case. Okay, I want the case to fit like a glove and have a spare battery compartment just for AA's. It would allow working the buttons, viewing the screen, and attaching the cable, but still protect the GPS. It would have to stick to any piece of clothing without any hooks or belts or snaps, but not stick to bare skin. Olive drab please. Now.

Edit:

Oh yeah, maybe a small secure pocket for credit cards or some bills, and maybe a small loop pocket for a mini maglite and a penholder. But if not using the pocket or maglite or penholder, I don't want the extra pockets to be seen, kinda has to be seen only when used, otherwise it stretches back into the case.

Edited by cachew nut

Well here is my contraption Goldberged Fanny Pack over the shoulder GPS Holder.2a379255-467f-4400-aebf-cf70745c92af.jpg

I Carry it on My shoulder though and makes the GPS RINO 120 in the Waterproof case see Heaven very good.

I can carry all my goodies,Digital Camera,Utility Tool,x-tra batteries,travel bugs,usageocoins,GEO*SIGNAL,and...well there is no sense going through the whole thing in detail.

The Second RINO 110 has a clip just like a cell phone which hooks to the strap quite well.

When TIGGR goes with me we use them to keep track of each other when alone it is my back-up.

I cache either in a wheelchair or on crutches, and usually don't have my hands free to hold a GPS, so I made a hands-free holder that keeps the GPS balanced on my chest, pointed straight ahead of me, easily visible at all times, and easily accessable.

Since my MeriPlat (Magellan Meridian Platinum) has a fairly accurate compass it's a simple thing to set a goto and just follow the arrow whether walking or driving; just a glance down and I am good to go. Makes it a breeze to follow maps as well.

Having it out front and horizontal assures satellite lock at all times and avoids the need to let the compass settle, as it does when removed from a shoulder strap, belt or pocket.

I used 2 coat hangers to form a rounded roughly-diamond-shaped necklace and attached the ends to a car dash mount. It ain't pretty, but it is functional.

It slips on and off over my head and stays attached to the mount at all times, so I can release and remove the GPS from the mount easily.

I wrapped the coat hangers in electrical tape so that it's comfortable around my neck and doesn't snag on stuff. Some of that heat-shrink plastic tubing would work just as well and look nicer.

I used a suction-cup-style dash mount that swivels to hold my MeriPlat so that when not in use, or if I fall or brush against something, the GPS swivels down flat against my sternum. The suction-cup base allows it to rest comfortably on my chest and not flop around while walking.

I have had a lot of fellow cachers suggest that I market this device, but I would rather just pass the idea along to the geocaching community.

At least one cacher that has seen my mount has started to market his own very similar version on the internet.

Let me know if you are interested and I will email you some pics of this lash-up...it really works great!

See you on the trails,

Ed

I cache either in a wheelchair or on crutches, and usually don't have my hands free to hold a GPS, so I made a hands-free holder that keeps the GPS balanced on my chest, pointed straight ahead of me, easily visible at all times, and easily accessable.

Since my MeriPlat (Magellan Meridian Platinum) has a fairly accurate compass it's a simple thing to set a goto and just follow the arrow whether walking or driving; just a glance down and I am good to go. Makes it a breeze to follow maps as well.

Having it out front and horizontal assures satellite lock at all times and avoids the need to let the compass settle, as it does when removed from a shoulder strap, belt or pocket.

I used 2 coat hangers to form a rounded roughly-diamond-shaped necklace and attached the ends to a car dash mount. It ain't pretty, but it is functional.

It slips on and off over my head and stays attached to the mount at all times, so I can release and remove the GPS from the mount easily.

I wrapped the coat hangers in electrical tape so that it's comfortable around my neck and doesn't snag on stuff. Some of that heat-shrink plastic tubing would work just as well and look nicer.

I used a suction-cup-style dash mount that swivels to hold my MeriPlat so that when not in use, or if I fall or brush against something, the GPS swivels down flat against my sternum. The suction-cup base allows it to rest comfortably on my chest and not flop around while walking.

I have had a lot of fellow cachers suggest that I market this device, but I would rather just pass the idea along to the geocaching community.

At least one cacher that has seen my mount has started to market his own very similar version on the internet.

Let me know if you are interested and I will email you some pics of this lash-up...it really works great!

See you on the trails,

Ed

Sounds like what I had been invisioning....email me some pics through my link on my profile page!

And Carleenp thought it would look geekier.....well, I wear overalls and occasionally a straw hat....might as well complete the ensemble! :(

I thought it would bounce around too much while walking,but no Problemo!

Even ajusts,and can lay it down flat on your chest.

Hmm Sandra Bullock.

Seriously. I bought a little cell phone pouch that I thought would be perfect but tunrs out it blocked the buttons and was too tight of a fit. I'd like to have a clip like my Nextel uses. When will the GPSr manufacturers figure this out?

Strangely enough, this has been topic-of-the-day for me for about two weeks now.

I'd been eyeing the Maxpedition M1. Then I saw a pic that made me think it was too small. So I've been thinking about the M4, but I'm still not sure that's quite what I want.

I want something with belt clips that'll hold the Merigold, multi-tool, cellphone, PDA, mini-Maglite, pen(s), notepad, and perhaps my keys. All in separate compartments.

I know that would prob'ly normally take up a normal backpack, but I like the mobility of a small waistpack. Even with the relatively slim Camelbak Rogue it would catch low hanging branches and such when I rode.

The guy at the Army-Navy store I checked out the other day recommended getting a web belt and "building" something with pouches for all the different items. I already have separate cases for the Swiss-tool, Maglite, and Cell-phone. I feel like Batman with his utility belt! (the belt buckle becomes a one-man Cache-skiff!).

I entertained the idea of creating my own, but I don't think I have that particular skillset. :bad:

How well does it work while "active"? Meaning, does the top flap affect the GPS signal (that patch antenna can be touchy), if I wanted to leave it on in the case to track our progress?

joefrog, I got both the kids the eTrex case for the units that Santa brought them. They work great and don't affect the performance or usability of the units. All the buttons and the joystick are still usable. I think I got them for around $11 @ tigergps.com

I use the Ultimate GPS Case

8fcdb61b-7866-4c30-9300-fccc45dcd446.jpg

The main pocket has a velcro flap & the GPS keeps signal in it with no problem...I'm not sure how well it would work with a patch antenna. The front pocket (holding the PDA) zips closed. The side mesh pockets hold a mini maglite, spare AA's and pens. The front mesh holds trade items. There is a rain hood that unzips from the back and can cover the entire case.

I usually use the strap that is shown in the picture. My cheap multitool is attached to the strap.

The back of the case has a wide belt loop, but I like Jeremy's idea for a velcro strap attachment. Maybe some needle & thread along with a strap of velcro and I'd be all set.

:bad: where did you get this at I'd like to get one

gpscase.jpg

I got one of these for my birthday a couple years ago and it was promptly stolen. Picked up another one on eBay fairly cheap last year. It originally came with a small mesh pouch on the front, but I removed it and added a small pouch that I made to keep my compass in place.

The GPS goes in the front black zippered compartment, then any trade items or other stuff goes in the back velcro closed compartment (I think it was originally designed to hold maps). Spare batteries and a pen go in the side mesh bags. Also, there's a "rain hat" that comes out of a zippered compartment in the back and protects the whole thing.

Not a perfect solution, but it's much handier to carry on quick urban caches than lugging out a whole backpack.

By the way, I found a similar one available on eBay right now....they seem to have removed the front mesh pocket from the latest version...which is good because it was fairly worthless.

You can see/buy it HERE

Bret

First, I should I doubt everyone would agree on the "ultimate" holder as everyone different and want different results from there holder.

Here is something I made. I took a surplus cellphone holder and modified it. Cost $1. I've since added a button to the hook on the back to use a cellphone quick release holder. I can put the clip on the shoulder strap of my pack when carrying or on my belt when urban. Additional cost $5. The advantage of this is still looks like a cellphone from a distance. Being a ST it still gets good signal even on my belt, plus both positions are (near) vertical which the quad antenna likes.

For carrying logbook, PDA, pens, stamp and pad, etc. Sissy carries a small camera bag that looks at little like a purse. If needed the belt clip can be attached to the pouch for all-in-one use, but we've never done it.

A simple shoulder strap carrier works fine for me. I replaced my Merdian Color's lanyard with the button for a cell phone carrier (using a 3/8" 4-40 ss bolt from the local hardware store), then pop-riveted a matching windshield mount (from Radio Shack) to my shoulder strap. Handy and secure. Not sure if the ss bolt would throw off the compass in a Platinum, but would prefer strength of ss over brass.

Here is my ultimate GPS hands free set up. I use my digital camera bag and have my GPS set up so it sits perfectly flat on top of the case. You can use a caribiner between the camera bag straps and clip your gps case belt clip to it. You can also use a key chain holder to secure it to the front of the case. Works great!

39893616-9d62-456e-a8cd-07c670035972.jpg

I had a ULTIMATE -- until i found out it's too small--then i went to a small butt pack that i put a heavy duty shoulder strap on--works great but still needed more room for junk stuff and long distance trail runnin--so bought a mid sized pack pack that has belt strap padded shoulder straps mesh pockets for H2O lots of room for poncho gloves for bushwhacken traden items flashlights and map cases and of course the ultimate cache print out page holder-- :P a piece of 1" pvc pipe with push on caps-- :P GPS is sportstrac pro with the manufactures cover (works good even with gloves) -- cell phone holder and lots of hangie down thingies--!!--Ultimate holder beaner clips it to the back of back pack that has some ready to go items in it and a separate shoulder harness for quick go's--!!--i like to be ready for anything--!!

happy geocaching

archuka--cheyenne,wy

;)

Wow, all those backpacks... I use a leather belt pouch I had picked up for LARPing which works great.

The GPS lays screen up under the top flap and I leashed it with a spring-clip to the zipper pull so if it falls it doesn't reach the ground. The only improvement I could see would be to make the top flap clear so you could read it without it poking out too far.

Since it lays at a 45 degree angle to the body, and you can simply look down to see it, an improvement would be if there were two zippers from both end so it could lay inside perpendicularly to the body (which would also move the antenna a bit farther out).

Obviously you can carry trade items, snacks, gel pen, flashlight, monocular in the belt pouch, my PDA case slides over it's strap and a pouch of water or binoculars on the other side.

Optimally, the GPS should be designed more like a wearable PC. The power pack, antenna and display should all be separated by wires, the antenna should clip to folders or hat for best reception, batteries/cpu/user controls clip to waist for least interference, the display one of those small "heads up" LCD's you can see through in front of one eye.

That new Garmin that straps to the wrist like a watch comes close, but you have to raise your arm to see it and with Lithium battery you can't use backup batteries.

Enjoy,

Randy