Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, DrJeckyloftheDunes said:

Ha, I'm relatively new and only have the one cache so far but I've had a few people tell me they can't open the cache but log it anyway. It has an appropriate difficulty rating and has the field puzzle attribute. I will say that the majority of those finders are relatively new so they will probably learn that they need to sign the logs. 

How?

If they don't complete your puzzle and sign the log, then log it anyway, and you let the logs stand, then no, they won't learn that they need to sign the log. In fact, by doing nothing you're reinforcing the idea that "close enough is good enough".

If you care, follow up their log with a nice message explaining what's up and invite them to change their log to a DNF, then try again.

Up to you as to whether or not to give them some time, then delete their "Found Its". You could decide that just sending them that message as a friendly nudge is 'training' enough.

20 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

How?

If they don't complete your puzzle and sign the log, then log it anyway, and you let the logs stand, then no, they won't learn that they need to sign the log. In fact, by doing nothing you're reinforcing the idea that "close enough is good enough".

If you care, follow up their log with a nice message explaining what's up and invite them to change their log to a DNF, then try again.

Up to you as to whether or not to give them some time, then delete their "Found Its". You could decide that just sending them that message as a friendly nudge is 'training' enough.

I have sent everyone that hasn't opened the cache and signed the log a personal message giving them a hint and letting them know that they must sign the log. I'm leaving it up to them to do the right thing.

• Helpful 1
9 minutes ago, DrJeckyloftheDunes said:

I have sent everyone that hasn't opened the cache and signed the log a personal message giving them a hint and letting them know that they must sign the log. I'm leaving it up to them to do the right thing.

Deciding HOW to deal with this is your prerogative as a CO. Others will disagree, but that's OK.

Thanks for paying attention to this. I think it matters, too.

• Helpful 1

Found itFound it

11/24/2013

I believe XX and I were the last ones to hold the famed cryptex in our hands. Sadly, we never got to sign the log because the cache went missing, but in communicating with the CO, he confirmed we stood directly in front of, and thoroughly investigated, the container's hiding spot. I waited to log this, hoping he would get around to replacing the final ammo can, but to no avail. Such a shame...this was a fun series.

Personally, a cache isn't bagged if I didn't find it, sign the log and take images of its contents and the area around it. I will post the pic of the contents of a cache, but I won't submit the pics of the actual hiding spot.  This helps to confirm I actually bagged the cache, and it allows the CO to monitor the cache.  'Found It' does mean something, but i'm seeing here that it means something different to others. This isn't rocket science you know...

Also, I found an 'earth cache' a few days ago, but i couldn't count it since i hadn't yet fulfilled the wishes of the CO.  The CO asked to be e-mailed with the answers to a few questions and then it would count.  I eventually will get around to doing it when I have the time.

• Upvote 2

Reply to inquiry after online Found It log (emphasis is mine):

I took my [relatives] by there and introduced them to the activity, they most likely signed [real name] and [real name] my [relative] [username] was with us her signing should be there as well I didn't get a chance to sign my personal name

Found itFound it

05/2019

I asked CO for logging permission because I think the original cache is gone, but I found what I believe it used to be based on the hint. There is no stick, band, or 35mm container at the location anymore. I signed a small piece of wood and left it in a hiding spot.

On 7/31/2019 at 3:35 PM, Ftttu said:

Personally, a cache isn't bagged if I didn't find it, sign the log and take images of its contents and the area around it.

If I had to take a photograph of every cache I found that would slow done the finds and the enjoyment. Signing the log (clearly) is enough, as the CO doing their job will check the log (I do) and take action if the signature isn't there. One day I found 82 caches. (Many have found more than that.) Imagine needing to photograph each and all of the cache logs, and then not get the photographs mixed. I only photograph the log for FTF, if the signature might be a problem to see (I once signed in charcoal because I forgot my pen..which I rarely forget), or I need to show the state of the log and container to the CO, often as part of a NM.

prem_user.gifPremium Member 2.png3307 

Found itFound it 03/31/2019

LOOK a new container (preforn soda bottle: HINTis now 643) located about 10 meters north. Live long and prosper.

prem_user.gifPremium Member  2.png3387 
Needs MaintenanceNeeds Maintenance 03/09/2019

This geocacher reported that the cache might be missing.

prem_user.gifPremium Member  2.png3387 

Write noteWrite note 03/09/2019

No finds and 7 DNFs in nearly 3 years.

Two and half years and numerous DNFs and a NM in May. Has been reviewer disabled.

prem_user.gifPremium Member

2.png1323

Found itFound it

16/06/2019

In light of the previous logs and the apparent lack of maintenance we are treating this cache as a virtual. Managed to get all the questions answered and then ventured to the next location. Like all recent previous visitors we did not find a cache container. We found this to be a very interesting cache. Of some interest was the rank of all the listed aircrew, LAC, an NCO rank in the military, equivalent to Lance Corporal. This may have been quite normal given the training nature of the aircraft.

• Surprised 1

Found it

02/10/2018

We decided to log this as found but we didn't actually touch it, we saw it and climbed to it, but those pesky guardians of the cache (wasps nest) prevented us reaching it! Picture attached to prove the find. Tftc

Found it

02/10/2018

Im going to say we found this one. I went to go and retrieve it but it had a wasps next right next to it and i couldnt get past it.

Found it

07/10/2018

F

Found it

13/04/2019

So windy here today but no wasps about. Located and retrieved. TFTC

Found it

15/05/2019

Logged as found. Worried about wasps nest so didn't attempt. Allergic to wasps ???

Found it

14/07/2019

We spotted the hiding place but like many before us the wasps prevented us from getting up there.

Found it

14/07/2019

Like others before us we knew where it was but not attemped it due to the bee's nest

Archive

18/08/2019

The area has become overgrown this black thorn and there is also a wasp nest very close by

On 3/12/2004 at 1:10 PM, Jamie Z said:

This thread is for all those smiley-faced logs that admit that the hunters did not really find the cache.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

I'm quoting from the opening post of this thread, to remind everyone of the 15 year tradition to refrain from "naming names" when posting examples to this thread.  I've hidden a number of posts that included the username and avatar of the person in addition to the content of their log.

• Helpful 1

prem_user.gifPremium Member  2.png971

Found itFound it  08/19/2019

I like the idea of this cache series. I like that I had to work to find the cache. But man is this place ROUGH! While I didn't find the cache, even after asking a librarian, Ima log this cache as 'found' since I put my partner through the experience of dealing with everyone in the library that made her uncomfortable. The cache would get a favorite point, but it cancels withis crazy location

Found itFound it

[extraneous trip/find count snipped.] Thanks to [CO] for placing and maintaining this cache. Having been a Boy Scout long ago, and remember about "leaves of three," I did not retrieve this cache and sign it. I saw the cache; it is there, but did not want to risk poison ivy, just in case that is what that is, which was growing all around.

[dramatic stripping of merit badge]

• Funny 1
  • Love 1

Two caches recently, two of these in the same area. :rolleyes:

Found itFound it

A lovely morning wandering around [area] with [redacted]

Unfortunately another cache with a string of DNFs. I climbed into the brambles but no joy. We were looking for a field maple (as per the name of the cache) but even our winter tree identification skills didn't help (we identified a willow and an oak).
In the end we thought we'd do the world a favour and placed a film pot at the foot of the small oak, as per the attached photo, so at least there is something to find. This was where our GPS was pointing. Now having read logs at home, if I go back far enough I can see that people have suggested it could be on the other side of the path.
Anyway, there is now a pot there to find but the whole series really needs attention. TFTC.

On 8/20/2019 at 3:54 PM, Keystone said:

I'm quoting from the opening post of this thread, to remind everyone of the 15 year tradition to refrain from "naming names" when posting examples to this thread.  I've hidden a number of posts that included the username and avatar of the person in addition to the content of their log. 

Oh ... I didn't understand.
Thus, for fear of truth and reality, this thread has no meaning.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Condorik said:
Oh ... I didn't understand.

The quoted logs are true and real, just stripped of the offender's name to not inflict shame to that peraon, or be considered a bully.

• Upvote 4
3 minutes ago, Condorik said:

Sure it does.   It shows the silly extremes some will go for a "smiley".     :D

What it doesn't do is harass others directly (which is against the TOU).

Some (new folks mostly),  through imitation, may not realize that what they're doing is silly or incorrect.     :)

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

Some (new folks mostly),  through imitation, may not realize that what they're doing is silly or incorrect.     :)

29 minutes ago, on4bam said:

But most have 1000's of finds and do realize but not enough to let go of that extra +1.

Of course, but as long as there is a TOU, we're supposed to be abiding by it. 

Think we should separate them, and be "fair but firm" on the new folks, but nail those with 1000+ finds ?   :D

Remembered some were very vocal about GDPR a while ago (which IIRC was created for the privacy of personal data).

I wouldn't think those same people would be okay harassing folks in view of others.     :) 

This person has been trying to find a number of mystery caches in a local park.  Just before the logs below, he/she logged a find that said "clue missing" or something like what they wrote in the subsequent logs.  I deleted the find, then he/she came back with these...DNF, Needs Maintenance, Needs Archived.  I mean, WTH?  I tried educating them, but they still don't seem to understand.  I am no longer interested in being diplomatic about it, so I don't plan to engage them anymore.

image.thumb.png.165687969d4cd433cada8c53d467c01d.png

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 2
  • Love 1

I'm afraid my brother and I are guilty of having done this. In our defense, we're still new to the game -- this was our first multi-cache. It was located in a cemetery; there was nothing in the description to suggest climbing a metal pole or TOTT would be needed. We could see the cache and considered coming back with a ladder, but that seemed disrespectful in a cemetery. So, not knowing any better, we noted that we found it but could reach the cache.

A few weeks later the CO messaged me and very kindly and politely explained that if you don't sign the log, you can't claim to have found the cache. Now that I'm more familiar with geocaching, that makes perfect sense to me. I would happily (well, not entirely happily -- but fair is fair) change my log to a DNF, but I'm not aware of any mechanism to edit the log

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, gregosan said:

I'm afraid my brother and I are guilty of having done this. In our defense, we're still new to the game -- this was our first multi-cache. It was located in a cemetery; there was nothing in the description to suggest climbing a metal pole or TOTT would be needed. We could see the cache and considered coming back with a ladder, but that seemed disrespectful in a cemetery. So, not knowing any better, we noted that we found it but could reach the cache.

A few weeks later the CO messaged me and very kindly and politely explained that if you don't sign the log, you can't claim to have found the cache. Now that I'm more familiar with geocaching, that makes perfect sense to me. I would happily (well, not entirely happily -- but fair is fair) change my log to a DNF, but I'm not aware of any mechanism to edit the log

On a computer it's very easy.

Open up the cache concerned. Then on top right hand you will see:

Found It! Logged on: (date YOU logged it)

Click on this and it will bring up your log. Then click on the pencil image (to the left of the bin image). Then next to Type of Log: change 'Found it' to 'Didn't find it'.

Easy.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Helpful 2

prem_user.gifPremium Member  2.png3751 Found itFound it 03/11/2019

47° at 1301 hrs. 

I too believe that the cache is missing. I also believe that, in this situation, it is the job of geocachers to replace it when the CO is no longer active or maybe was just passing through. This is what I have done. 

prem_user.gifPremium Member  2.png6330  Didn't find itDidn't find it03/07/2019

Didn't spend too much time looking for this one given the previous logs.
Also the CO hasn't been active for nearly 3 years, so it's not likely to be fixed any time soon.

prem_user.gifPremium Member  2.png1732 Needs MaintenanceNeeds Maintenance 09/05/2018

This geocacher reported that the cache might be missing.

prem_user.gifPremium Member  2.png1732 Didn't find itDidn't find it 09/05/2018

The thunder shower continued as we drove over here after attempting and failing to find a nearby cache. Armed with umbrellas and rain jackets, we hoped for a quick find here, but no luck. Reviewing the previous logs I decided I had no idea what I was looking for. It was no longer a magnet and the previous two cachers didn't find the log. 

reg_user.gifMember  2.png50  Didn't find itDidn't find it 07/24/2018

searched everywhere - found the magnet - kept it!

• Surprised 1

I saw this today from a cache on my watchlist:

Wasn't able to find the physical cache so took a picture as per cache directions. Cool site! Tftc

What the cache directions actually say:

GCRM - Replace the log as needed or container if the cache container is broken or missing. Before you replace a missing container, you must spend a reasonable amount of time searching - at least 5 minutes per difficulty rating. The cache owner accepts that there is a chance that multiple containers could be at the site. Please remove duplicate containers if you find multiple caches at the site. Broken containers and full logs may be disposed of at will.

Nothing about photography!

• Funny 1
On 3/16/2004 at 3:56 PM, Ian5281 said:

There are tons of cachers out there who are not hunting for a film canister or a logbook, but for the experience of getting there, or seeing what is at the location

They would be called sight seers not geocachers! 

• Upvote 4

This is the last 7 logs on the same cache.....

reg_user.gifMember

Profile photo for yesido61

2.png11

Found itFound it

09/08/2019

No container still only lid

Profile photo for teamgerker

2.png7

Found itFound it

08/31/2019

Only lid remains!

2.png690
Needs MaintenanceNeeds Maintenance

08/27/2019

Only the screw top lid and the cable attaching it to the bench are there. The container and log are not. Cant understand why people still admit this and log it as a find when the cache is missing.

Profile photo for brainthrash

2.png1793

Found itFound it

08/10/2019

Nice campgrounds. Made the easy find, but only the lid and the cable still exist. TFTC

Profile photo for azphotogirl

2.png9

Found itFound it

08/10/2019

Dound but container is missing

2.png401
Found itFound it

07/20/2019

TFCT.

2.png284
Found itFound it

06/23/2019

I THINK I found it, but most of it was missing. Only the cap of the container was there.

So this is the state of geocaching today. 6 finds on a "cache" that the container and log has been missing for over 2 months. I'm the only one to log a NM on it.

People need to learn to use "need maintenance"  to make cache owners aware of problems.

Some say how they play the game doesn't affect my game. But these people get others involved in the game and teach them their bad habits. The quality of caching in general suffers.

2 hours ago, on4bam said:

This thread isn't about discussing logging but about posting Found it logs that clearly are DNFs. Discussions about it should be done in another thread.

Indeed - in fact, there's a thread for this already, aptly titled Found It = Didn't Find It Discussion Thread.

edit: Keystone made the fix before I found the thread.  But there's the link, for posterity.

Edited by hzoi

Next log after my DNF:

prem_user.gifPremium Member  2.png43736

Found itFound it 04/06/2019

We had made plans to attend the . . . . Searched the area for about 10 minutes and could not come up with it. Area looks to have had some cleaning up. Placed a new container with log at GZ to keep cache going. 

Thank you [CO] for placing this cache for our enjoyment.

Another cache, another next log after my DNF:

prem_user.gifPremium Member  2.png3033 

Found itFound it 08/30/2018

Thanks for the nice puzzle cache. Was in the area and stopped to check this one out. I wasn't able to track down a container in the likely spot and expanded a bit to see if maybe it had been misplaced. No luck. I had a spare container and log and left it at the most likely spot. For the next person to visit I might suggest bringing some wasp spray or wait until winter. the area is pretty full of nests.

Edited by NanCycle
Addition

icon_smile_cool.gif icon_smile_cool.gif icon_smile_cool.gif FTF icon_smile_cool.gificon_smile_cool.gif icon_smile_cool.gif

This was a difficult one. The path seems to have been closed and appears to be private property now, with cows grazing on it. We climbed the barbed wire and got to the tree. No cache to be found though. We replaced the cache but wonder if this cache location is still accessible and appropriate. The CO has to check.

Not my cache, but i'm a friend of the CO. Really upset me, even though it should be none of my business. Man should have logged a DNF and asked for maintenance. The possibility of the cache actually being there, just very well hidden, never seemed to cross the logger's mind. Still, he "replaced" a cache that wasn't owned by him and could as well still be there. Being a FTF makes it even worse.

46 minutes ago, DiegoAguiar said:

Not my cache, but i'm a friend of the CO. Really upset me, even though it should be none of my business. Man should have logged a DNF and asked for maintenance. The possibility of the cache actually being there, just very well hidden, never seemed to cross the logger's mind. Still, he "replaced" a cache that wasn't owned by him and could as well still be there. Being a FTF makes it even worse.

Simple, the CO checks that their cache is still there and then reports the original cache is still there and deletes the FTF find. Otherwise, it's up to the CO what they do about a replacement cache; whether they accept the log or delete it. If I were the CO I would be straight out to check the cache.

• Upvote 3

Rviewer Temporarily Disable ListingTemporarily Disable Listing

03/01/2018

It seems the sign which toppled over -see previous notes is no longer there. Please could the CO check or archive the listing
Please respond in a timely manner ( that is 30 days ) to prevent possible archive.

Throwdowner #1 Found itFound it

15/03/2018

We replaced this cache on our holiday tour in six different countries.
Now its magnetic on the big sign at the entrance. 24m off the original coords. This sign not more exists.
Thanks for hiding the boxes to all owners.

Friend 1 of Throwdowner #1 Found itFound it

15/03/2018

During our holiday in six different countries we traveled by rental car, cruise ship, taxi or on foot, we also passed this cache.

TFTC

Friend 2 0f Throwdowner #1Found itFound it

15/03/2018

During our trip, we also visited a few caches and found. Including this one.

2 more found it logs, then

Reviewer Enable ListingEnable Listing

24/05/2018

As the CO no longer seems active and the cache has been replaced by a tourist 24m away but on a current sign , see photo I am enabling and will check periodically.

11 more logged visits including 2 DNF after enabling, followed by

Throwdowner #2 Found itFound it

23/03/2019

There are 3 signs around the park and I searched all of them but no cache. Replaced with a black magnetic micro on the sign nearest the co-ordinates. It’s on the post furthest from the park entrance

• Surprised 1

Cache placed in 2012, replaced a couple times , then

From 12/15 - 5/16. cache had 7 DNFs

In 7/16 CO write Note promising to replace soon

From 7/16 - 4/18 cache had 6 more DNFs

Then this:

prem_user.gifPremium Member 2.png43758

2.png Found it  07/15/2018

Once we learned about the Hidden Creature Challenge we knew we would have to travel in order to complete the challenge. We simply did not have one hundred caches within 40 miles to be able to log. Since we had not been in the****** area for years we decided to cache our way to and then in the area.

Our second day of caching in and around the ****** area before heading home, included more maintenance on 10 more caches. We replaced caches, logs and containers on ignored caches by the owners. We had completed the Hidden Creature Challenge yesterday but enjoyed the new area while adding to our numbers. Searched for several minutes and could not come up with it. Seeing all of the last DNF logs we placed a new magnetic container with log at GZ. SL,TFTC

Thank you [CO] for placing this cache for our enjoyment.

Then 4 Finds from 7/18 - 11/18

Then 3 DNFs from 3/19 - 7/19

Has now been disabled by reviewer.

• Upvote 1

All three logs by same username.

Didn't find itDidn't find it

03/09/2019

A good long search but no cache to be seen. A few no shows now. Time for owner to check please.

Found itFound it

03/09/2019

Missing? Thanks for placing this cache for us to find.

Needs MaintenanceNeeds Maintenance

03/09/2019

This geocacher reported that there is a problem with this cache.

After a string of DNFs over 7 months:

Found itFound it

Well, we found a beautiful spot to place a cache as the hint described, but no cache. Thanks for bringing us to this area.

Changing to a find with CO permission, cache was missing.

Edited by L0ne.R