Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

On 3/13/2004 at 6:45 PM, Volwrath said:

In my area, a certain person hid a street light cache in a relatively busy area about 20' in the air, in plain sight. I saw it, didnt make an attempt to get it and logged it a find. In the log I stated that if he had a problem with me not signing the log, I would delete it. He asked me to, and I did. I just didnt want to go through the trouble to get it down. hehe

Didn't want to go through the trouble? Really?  Wow

16 hours ago, kissguy&frannyfru said:

In my area, a certain person hid a street light cache in a relatively busy area about 20' in the air, in plain sight. I saw it, didnt make an attempt to get it and logged it a find. In the log I stated that if he had a problem with me not signing the log, I would delete it. He asked me to, and I did. I just didnt want to go through the trouble to get it down. hehe

You just need the right toys

I've got 3 feet, What does your GPSr say?

Hot Glue

Huh? Seems like this log should be deleted.

&&&&&&&&

prem_user.gifPremium Member

2.png4

Found it Found it
13 May 18

Tricky, tricky! But fun! TNLN did not log.

Edited to remove clickable profile.

Edited by LizzyRN
Edited AGAIN to remove clickable profile.

2.png4681

Found it Found it

03/28/2018

We needed A LOT of caches on this date for a challenge cache we are working on. We were successful in finding 70 caches today and enjoyed the variety of hides and containers, replacing broken and missing containers as needed. Thanks to all of the COs for placing and maintaining these caches.

We thoroughly searched all along the fence line in every possible hidey-hole and determined that this container was missing. We placed a new container and log at our GZ.

3 hours ago, NanCycle said:

2.png4681

Found it Found it

03/28/2018

We needed A LOT of caches on this date for a challenge cache we are working on. We were successful in finding 70 caches today and enjoyed the variety of hides and containers, replacing broken and missing containers as needed. Thanks to all of the COs for placing and maintaining these caches.

We thoroughly searched all along the fence line in every possible hidey-hole and determined that this container was missing. We placed a new container and log at our GZ.

Wouldn't it be funny if the CO determined that the cache WASN'T missing, deleted their find, and then it negated their qualification for the challenge cache?

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Coords took us to the most likely looking bobbin and the easiest to check, but despite the use of various tools, there was definitely nothing there. Likewise with all the other bobbins. Having read the logs and seeing that it disappears on a regular basis, we decided to leave a replacement. As there is a clear view under the bobbin closest to GZ, especially from the seat, we thought we'd try another. Think pink. Hope this will keep the cache alive as we don't want to lose any! Thanks for placing

2.png6337 

Found it Found it

03/20/2017

I'm sorry to say the cache has been muggled. I managed to find the top of the container. Despite expanding my search radius, was unable to find the other pieces of the container. While I don't know what happened, I would guess that landscapers / groundskeepers may have done the deed due to the proximity of the newly planted trees. I left the container near GZ in case the CO wants to come out and inspect the remains himself. I did not have a pill bottle in the vehicle, so I'm sorry I could not make the replacement. I appreciate that the CO adopted this one to keep it going, sorry it got muggled. TFTC.

Photo  Remains of the cache container
2 hours ago, NanCycle said:

2.png6337 

Found it Found it

03/20/2017

I'm sorry to say the cache has been muggled. I managed to find the top of the container. Despite expanding my search radius, was unable to find the other pieces of the container. While I don't know what happened, I would guess that landscapers / groundskeepers may have done the deed due to the proximity of the newly planted trees. I left the container near GZ in case the CO wants to come out and inspect the remains himself. I did not have a pill bottle in the vehicle, so I'm sorry I could not make the replacement. I appreciate that the CO adopted this one to keep it going, sorry it got muggled. TFTC.

Photo  Remains of the cache container

They found what was there to be found.  Perfectly acceptable.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

So if I find the string that used to hold the container, or some of the peeled off camo tape, I have found what there was to be found and can log a Found it log?

Yes you absolutely can.

Heck - if you can point to the spot where the cache is hidden in a photograph of the area around GZ you can log it as found :D

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

So if I find the string that used to hold the container, or some of the peeled off camo tape, I have found what there was to be found and can log a Found it log?

Some think so. No need for logbooks,  just "think I found a piece of the cache" for that all important +1 in the stats.

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, badlands said:

As a finder, I quickly look at the green/red/grey dots on my app to determine whether the cache is worth visiting. Green dots, drive 10km for the cache. Find only a lid. :(

I see red or grey dots I look at the last logs to read the details or skip the cache without looking, there are others to find. 

I see green I'm going to assume that the cache container is there and in a condition that would deem I've found a container with a logsheet that I can sign.

I would much prefer that the finder who found only a lid log it as either a DNF or a Note, not a Find. I don't cache to find bits of containers or to simply reach ground zero. 

But shrug, as the mantra goes, 'Everyone can play the game how they like. It's just a game.' We each make up our own rules and guidelines and everything is acceptable. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

I would much prefer that the finder who found only a lid log it as either a DNF or a Note, not a Find. I don't cache to find bits of containers or to simply reach ground zero.

I agree whole hardheartedly.

However:

• The cache owner isn't doing maintenance for whatever reason
  • Groundspeak isn't proactive in de-listing caches that aren't being maintained (at  least in this area)

So what are you going to do?  Wait until some other cacher replaces it and then go back to log it or just ignore it because it isn't the original cache container?  Or are you going to hold your nose, replace it, log it, and move on.

I don't have an answer, but I don't like having hundreds of local caches on my map that aren't available to be found either.  So I hold my nose, replace it, log it, and move on.

18 minutes ago, badlands said:

I agree whole hardheartedly.

However:

• The cache owner isn't doing maintenance for whatever reason
  • Groundspeak isn't proactive in de-listing caches that aren't being maintained (at  least in this area)

So what are you going to do?  Wait until some other cacher replaces it and then go back to log it or just ignore it because it isn't the original cache container?  Or are you going to hold your nose, replace it, log it, and move on.

I don't have an answer, but I don't like having hundreds of local caches on my map that aren't available to be found either.  So I hold my nose, replace it, log it, and move on.

The answer is simple. Log your DNF along with a needs maintenance. If the cache already has standing NM logs, then a needs archived log may be in order.

Edited by Mudfrog
  • Upvote 2

So I hold my nose, replace it, log it, and move on...

I have no problem skipping by those stinky caches, reading every cache page for issues to decide if I'll even do it, so I'm kinda on the same line as microdot.  (not often that happens... :D ).    

Replacing just for that smiley simply enforcing poor behavior, but at least showing others how the numbers folks do it...

The few that have little mention of issues, to find when getting there it's a POS, I don't understand why people log them if not for that "point". 

• Upvote 2
54 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

I searched several times for a cache in a park where my GPS was telling me that GZ was at a spot where there was a small bush.   At the base of the bush was a hose which I assumed a groundskeeper had been using to water the bush.  There were no less than 4 strings/ribbons in the bush that could have been used to tether a container.   I was sure that the cache might have been muggled (by the grounds keeper) until I found it in a tree about 25 feet away where it was originally hidden.

If you're not finding a container with a log book/sheet that can be signed then you haven't found the cache.   If you've posted a found it log when all you found are the remains of a cache,  something that might have been use to tether the cache, or a hiding spot that could hold a cache, you may consider it "perfectly acceptable" to log a find.  It's not perfectly acceptable.  It's just that you can often get away with it.  It would be perfectly acceptable for a cache owner to delete that log.  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

... If you're not finding a container with a log book/sheet that can be signed then you haven't found the cache.   If you've posted a found it log when all you found are the remains of a cache,  something that might have been use to tether the cache, or a hiding spot that could hold a cache, you may consider it "perfectly acceptable" to log a find.  It's not perfectly acceptable.  It's just that you can often get away with it.  It would be perfectly acceptable for a cache owner to delete that log.  

I agree with this.  One time we found the obvious tether (a piece of fishing line with a wire attachment on the bottom, hanging from the grate in a street drain).  Based on the hint, we went straight to where is should have been - I sent a message to the CO (we know her) with a pic of what we found.  Turns out she was home when the message came in, lives a block away, fixed it promptly, and told us to log the find.  We did, but since it's local to us we will likely go back and sign the log anyway.  It feels somehow unfinished since we didn't sign the log!   But we did claim the find that day with the CO's permission (and noted that in our online log).

2 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

But we did claim the find that day with the CO's permission (and noted that in our online log).

Speaking plainly, how does the CO's permission to log a find on a cache that wasn't there to be found change the fact that you didn't find the cache?

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, Team Microdot said:
5 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

But we did claim the find that day with the CO's permission (and noted that in our online log).

Speaking plainly, how does the CO's permission to log a find on a cache that wasn't there to be found change the fact that you didn't find the cache?

It doesn't, which is why do intend to go back and actually "find" it and sign the logbook.  I may go as far as to change the found date to the actual date we sign the log, and amend our earlier find to a note.  Just to keep records accurate.  Then again, I may just make a note in the online log on the day we actually sign it and leave the previous Found It log as it is. 

5 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

It doesn't, which is why do intend to go back and actually "find" it and sign the logbook.  I may go as far as to change the found date to the actual date we sign the log, and amend our earlier find to a note.  Just to keep records accurate.  Then again, I may just make a note in the online log on the day we actually sign it and leave the previous Found It log as it is. 

I wonder if others referenced over the lifetime of this thread had the same philosophy?

I "found" one just the other day, clearly muggled, only the magnetic bottom was there, right where the hint described, with no lid or log.

I didn't log a "find", instead I logged a "needs maintenance"

As was stated before, If I log a find then that is sending a signal to others that the cache is in good shape

What's so hard about this concept?

• Upvote 2

Cache in play for 5 months, 85 finds, 8 DNFs, 6 throwdowns, 0 owner maintenance ... is this a record ?
Read the below in time order from the bottom up, as I've copy/pasted/redacted straight from the cache page .

Premium Member Caches Found 8495 Didn't find it
May/2018
Not having the latest logs in my GPS I was looking as per the listing and hint, not for the ... what is it, the 5th or 6th throwdown container ?

Premium Member Caches Found 7514 Found it
18/May/2018
Caching with xxxxx and xxxxxx (copy/paste removed)  No cache available so went deep into the rucksack and found a wee replacement!
We hope the CO doesn’t mind!

Caches Found 7814 Found it
18/May/2018
Us xxxxx and xxxxx are on our (copy/paste removed). We searched and searched but the cache has gone missing, not for the first time. We took the liberty of replacing this one with a very small tube stuffed into the post, hopefully it's discreet-ish and hopefully the CO doesn't mind. TFTCx

Premium Member Caches Found 4743 Found it
18/May/2018
Caching today with xxxxxx (copy/paste removed)  Well this had gone AWOL in our opinion, so we hope the CO doesn’t mind, but we saw fit to do a spot of maintenance! The cache is now hidden in a slightly different way, in a vain attempt to throw off the annoying, cache removing muggle!! TFTC

Premium Member Caches Found 2242 Didn't find it
17/May/2018
A couple of days later and we would have found the replacement cache .....

Premium Member Caches Found 6215 Didn't find it
17/May/2018
The clue is too obvious so I would say the cache has gone missing again

6 finds, then:

Premium Member Caches Found 2321 Found it
02/May/2018
Looks like this one had gone missing again, so as I had a spare and was coming this way I replaced it again. Shame it keeps going as it is a great spot for a C&D. Thanks to xx for this series.

Premium Member Caches Found 6988 Didn't find it
30/Apr/2018
Like the previous cacher, I couldn’t spot anything either.

Premium Member Caches Found 9744 Didn't find it
29/Apr/2018
Had a good search for this one but no find today.

Premium Member Caches Found 10755 Found it
17/Apr/2018
A quick find here although the container was missing a lid and the log book was wet - many thanks to xxxxxxxxxx for both the puzzles and the caches

5 finds , then :

Premium Member 4310 Found it
07/Apr/2018
Despite a new cache being left by xxxxx earlier in the day, we couldn't find anything at GZ. As we were here with the vehicle we had a spare and left it here, but seems a bit odd that it went missing so quickly.

Premium Member Caches Found 10847 Found it
07/Apr/2018
Left a nice new container for it!

Premium Member Caches Found 394 Found it
05/Apr/2018
Surprised this was still dry as it was a log in a bag only SL TFTC

Premium Member Caches Found 3954 Found it
05/Apr/2018
Parked right by for a quick find of the log without a container. SL TFTC

Member Caches Found 134 Found it
05/Apr/2018
quick find, paper only. TFTC

13 finds, then :

Premium Member Caches Found 5886 Found it
23/Mar/2018

We looked for this on our way into the village with no luck. Came back in the car on our way home but still didn't find it. We have put a new cache container and hidden it where we thought it should go. Hope this is ok with the CO. TFTC

Premium Member Caches Found 676 Didn't find it
23/Mar/2018
My only dnf of the day. Checked the hint item and nearby but no luck :(

About 14 finds then one DNF:

Premium Member Caches Found 7575 Found it
03/Feb/2018
It's a Saturday, so it must be another caching day, especially as it's raining! As usual I went with our geobuddies xxxxxx. (copy/paste screed removed). We were doing these last few as cachs and dashes. Another one bites the dust, another nice quick find. Thanks for the Cache.

Premium Member Caches Found 9591 Found it
03/Feb/2018
We were out caching on a Saturday as usual with our geobuddy xxxxx and ... (copy/paste screed removed) We were doing some of these as cache and dashes. At GZ it looked like the ditch had been freshly dug or dredged and we wondered if the cache had been compromised as there was no sign of cache or any stones. xxxxx had a spare pot on him and we had a new log and a plastic bag on us. We took the liberty of replacing for the CO and we hope that is ok ? We found some stones to cover and placed as per hint so this one is good to go again now. TFTC

Premium Member Caches Found 14558 Didn't find it
30/Jan/2018
There's the post and the obvious stones ..

Around 30 actual finds, then one DNF:

Dec/2017 Published

Edited by hal-an-tow
befuddlement of bottom up/top down ...
2 hours ago, Team Microdot said:

Adding another example of Found It = Didn't Find It.

A string of DNFs followed by 4 finds on a missing cache, 2 of the logs specifically said the owner gave permission to log a find. Here's the last log, a found it = didn't find it example (but it's a find if the CO gives permission) log was:

What a fun find. ish.  ... I peeked around first, but saw nothing. ... I eventually went all out. And alas, could not locate a container. Checked in with the [CO], who gave permission to log it as I did all that was necessary and would/should have found it. I was pretty proud of myself for this one :) TFTC(limb)!

The game's integrity was upheld when  a reviewer wrote this next archival log: 

Archive Archive

Allowing logs on missing caches does  not meet the Cache Maintenance  requirement as agreed to at publication.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I found this one today, it's in a makeshift birdhouse, a SIMPLE INSPECTION of the small wooden structure reveals a linchpin that you pull out,

allowing you to open the side and access the cache.

------

2.png853

Found it Found it
5/13/2018

Like the other cachers, we found the container, but it was screwed shut and we didn't want to break anything, Probably needs a check by CO?

---

2.png2353

Found it Found it
4/14/2018

I found it. I know that from the hint. But I couldn't get it to open, and I didn't want to try and force to open and break the cache.

---

2.png26

Didn't find it Didn't find it
3/12/2018

I'm assuming it's inside the birdhouse, but it has been drilled shut. Could've been a cool find, though!

Not found in 9 months.

4 DNFs in a row. The 3rd DNF was logged as a Find with this note:

Found it Found it
03/2018

I searched for this the other day with no luck. i talked to the CO who said it was probably missing and told me to log it, tftc

After an NM, the CO archived the cache with this note:

Archive Archive
05/2018

If you had a DNF here, feel free to change it to a smiley
Thanks to all who visited

• Surprised 1
On 14/03/2004 at 8:45 AM, Volwrath said:

Sounds like a cache l visited called Cooperation. It was plainly in site but out of reach. It said in the description that you needed a child on your shoulders to reach it. My daughter told me I should have gone to the nearest school and asked if I could borrow a child. ??? I told her I'd rather go back another time with her.

Didn't log that as I didn't sign it. 

On 24/05/2018 at 1:50 AM, badlands said:

I dont claim a find unless I can put my name in a log. Came acroos many caches damaged in a bushfire on a powertrail. Sent photos of the cache remains to the cache owners and went back and logged them after they were replaced.

2.png14199

Found it Found it
06/2018

After messaging the CO, and texting back and forth, and sending him some pics, it was agreed that I’d found the hiding spot, and that the cache was missing. Logging with permission from CO. Thanks xxxxx!

2.png48 

Found it Found it
01/12/2018

someone glued it together had to smash it's open. did the best repairs I could. sorry.

PVC pipe cache; one end is glued, the other end opens.  Now disabled while CO rebuilds it.

• Funny 1

People logging finds on the lid from a centrifuge tube with a magnet in it:

2.png1638

Write note Write note
22/04/17

Found the remains of a cache but nothing else.

2.png956
Found it Found it
24/04/2017
I was visiting my parents who live in [redacted] as its my birthday today and could not sign log as only the magnet is left as in photo

2.png3260
Needs Maintenance Needs Maintenance
24/05/2017
As previous posts..nothing tangible to sign here. Cheers.

2.png1102

Found it Found it
16/07/2017

Again, just the magnetic lid left...

2.png54

Found it Found it
22/07/2017

Found magnet on break from work two minutes walk away.

Edited by Team Microdot
typo

Just a lid:

2.png193

Found it Found it
05/03/2018

No container just the lid and log.

2.png4541

Found it Found it
04/20/2018

Quick find, on my way home. Just log in baggie TFTC

2.png8223

Found it Found it
03/23/2018

Quick grab while on vacation. Log under a lid. TFTF

2.png11

Found it Found it
03/22/2018

Just a lid not anything else. No lock and lock container at all

Just a ziptie:

2.png1760

Found it Found it
12/04/2017

Found wire and zip the but no container. Needs maintenance.

2.png1879

Found it Found it
12/04/2017

Found the wire and zip tie.

2.png20919

12/02/2017

No luck finding this cache. 

bluelamb03

2.png25583

Needs Maintenance Needs Maintenance
12/02/2017

MIA

2.png4934

Write note Write note
10/01/2017

Just a zip tie and wire.

2.png2868

Found it Found it
09/10/2017

Out with xxxx to grab some smiles and do some of the wonderful L&A caches ..
Thanks for maintaining and placing the caches and the great fun finding them ..
We did maintenance where we could.

2.png3442

Found it Found it
09/10/2017

As with previous cachers we found the strap but no container.

2.png2754

Found it Found it
08/18/2017

Nice little power trail. Container missing but retainer still in place.TFTC

reg_user.gifMember

2.png133

Found it Found it
05/22/2017

Found where cache should be, but is missing.

reg_user.gifMember

2.png195

Found it Found it
05/22/2017

Find #100

Cache is missing. We searched the area but only found the zip tie.

Claimed as a find with permission from the CO

reg_user.gifMember

2.png272

Found it Found it
05/22/2017

Cache is missing. We searched the area but only found the zip tie.

Claimed as a find with permission from the CO

It took a basic member with only 27 finds to log/say the correct thing, that's depressing:

~ ~ ~

reg_user.gifMember

default_avatar.png

2.png27

5/30/2018

Construction zone needs to be rechecked

2.png1337

Found it Found it
5/28/2018

Thanks for the stop. Our fam is in getting ice cream while we’re getting smilies. We found ground zero, but are obeying fence line.

2.png148

Found it Found it
5/28/2018

Be hind the offense but thanks for the stop love the cheese

reg_user.gifMember

2.png3

Found it Found it
5/27/2018

Counting as found but, it is behind the construction fence. Will try again later in the summer

2.png1850

Found it Found it
4/14/2018

Stopped for ice cream on our way to .... Claiming the find even though it is in the construction zone.

2.png62

Write note Write note
4/14/2018

I have found this one previously and the area it was in is gone.

reg_user.gifMember

2.png568

Found it Found it
4/5/2018

Have to count as found, even though couldn't get to exact spot due to condition.

2.png155

Found it Found it
4/4/2018

It’s in the construction zone so I’m saying we found it

2.png476

Found it Found it
3/30/2018

I’m logging this as found because it’s inside the construction zone

2.png2873

Write note Write note
3/22/2018

.....Before leaving the lot on this rainy day I decided to drive as close as I could to GZ. About 150 into the construction zone my gps directed me. Lmk if virtual is available.! Photo of visit posted

2.png62

Write note Write note
3/7/2018

Is this cache still there after the digging going on?

Edited by Korichnovui

I'm having trouble finding it now, but I came across one recently that was like "I searched too long for this to not be a smiley" from someone with 16k finds. It was the singular "find" in a string of DNFs on a low difficulty cache that was almost definitely missing.

• Surprised 1
On 3/13/2004 at 3:26 AM, SBPhishy said:

I know we aren't supposed to accuse people of cheating, or pass judgement, but seriously... What are they thinking?

I have seen a rather experienced cacher log that they were at a cache.  I was at this cache after.  I did not see the log entry.  I thought perhaps they forgot.  this happened several times.  I wont confront them but it seems a bit strange to me as to why they would go and then not log???

58 minutes ago, Elektrazz said:

I have seen a rather experienced cacher log that they were at a cache.  I was at this cache after.  I did not see the log entry.  I thought perhaps they forgot.  this happened several times.  I wont confront them but it seems a bit strange to me as to why they would go and then not log???

I always say the real people they are cheating are themselves, honestly.  Although I do think it sort of degrades the overall experience by setting a poor example. My husband stopped logging his finds online awhile back, but he always signs the log sheet :)