Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

Found itFound it

01/06/2019

Well we found the spot and cords spot on. All matched photos and a suspicious rock on ground that was out of place. So we left a signed piece of paper and and put rock on top of it in its hidey hole.So cache needs replacing. Claiming the find as it was a hard slog and once was enough.

Having found that cache and knowing where and how it's hidden, I suspect it's still there so now there's a throwdown scrap of paper under a rock as well. Sigh.

Edit to add: Well, my curiosity got the better of me so I went for a hike this afternoon. The rock and scrap of paper are where the cache should have been and there's no sign of the cache. About 50 metres from GZ I found a discarded water bottle so I guess muggles do frequent the area. It still should've been a DNF and an NM, though, I reckon.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Surprised 1

I found this while planning my caching during a trip to the south next week. After the throw down log, there were two more DNFs.

With more than one dozen DNFs, I would hate to see this get archived as it is such a beautiful and important stopping point asking a major highway. 

Therefore, I replaced both cache container and log at an area indicated by ground and 0, though it does bounce and could it been a number of spots. This keeps it at its intended difficulty and terrain ratings.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Thank you ++++++++, for your contribution to the Geocaching community, 
giving us enjoyment, adventure, and exercise.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : 
  • + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
  • The cache owner is more than welcome to contact me through my public profile with any questions or concern

prem_user.gifPremium Member

2.png2147Needs MaintenanceNeeds Maintenance

21/09/2017

This geocacher reported that the container is damaged. 

2.png2147

Write note

21/09/2017

Container is missing, sent message to CO 

2.png2147

Found itFound it

21/09/2017

Quickly found it on a trip collecting in Lindfield and West Pymble. TFT

3 hours ago, colleda said:

2.png2147Needs MaintenanceNeeds Maintenance

21/09/2017

This geocacher reported that the container is damaged. 

2.png2147

Write note

21/09/2017

Container is missing, sent message to CO 

2.png2147

Found itFound it

21/09/2017

Quickly found it on a trip collecting in Lindfield and West Pymble. TFT

There might have been a log though; even in a plastic bag.

prem_user.gifPremium Member 2.png12168 Found itFound it 06/09/2019

Staying at a campground near by along with [other cacher]. Out with friends doing the Power Trail and picking up a few other caches along the way. Replaced logs and caches till we ran low on our supply, We replaced what we could. Thanks for the fun and the smiley faces we got today.

prem_user.gifPremium Member 2.png101948 Found itFound it 06/09/2019

Wow !!! What a wonderful time we had at GeoWoodstock event in the Great state of Texas and now we are headed home taking some time and doing some site seeing as we go.
We made New Mexico !!! Now for some more caching as we get closer to home base
We replaced a few logs and containers Weather was nice today 
Signed 
Thanks [hider] for all the great times we had finding all these caches

prem_user.gifPremium Member 2.png15787 Needs MaintenanceNeeds Maintenance 10/17/2018

This geocacher reported that the cache might be missing.

prem_user.gifPremium Member 2.png15787 Didn't find itDidn't find it 10/17/2018

Adding my DNF.

prem_user.gifPremium Member  2.png3309 Didn't find itDidn't find it 4/22/2018

Might have found the remains of the cache.

Found itFound it

We approached GZ and and saw everything described in the hint. The bush overhanging the water and the little tree to the right of it. It didn't take SSS much time (a couple of seconds actually) to spot a piece of broken camo tape wrapped around the bush branch. We assume this is part of the cache. Or what's left of it. What else could it be? Screwtop container once held in place by the tape was missing. So...I was able to sign our signatures on the camo tape.  TFTC

Found it

Well, didn't exactly find it. I did find the re-purposed paper clip it was supposed to be hanging from. I can confirm that by looking at the photo that [name] posted for their find. I think at least finding part of it should count.

The cache has been a series of throwdowns for years. After yet another disappearance of the cache, someone threw down yet another subpar container (always film canisters and pill bottles, or just a piece of paper in a baggie). The cache owner is very active, hides lots, but doesn't maintain -- has never returned to this cache after listing it 3 years ago. 

2.png3708

Found itFound it

06/17/2019

Given the last log, we came armed with replacement container and bag. Tftc! It is now a film container.

From our point of view as cache owners, both "DNF" and "needs maintenance" are equally important, but they convey entirely different pieces of equally-useful information:

• DNF is a basic cue that there might be something that requires attention.  If the cache is "evil," we'll privately decide whether "we fooled you" or "you were close."  If it's "easy," we'll react right away – or we'll "temporarily disable" the cache until we can.  Either way, "the log attracts attention."
  • Needs Maintenance has a very specific meaning:  it means that you found the cache, but somehow found it to be broken.  Please be very specific.  (Our responses will be the same as above.)

So – if you simply think that "you are flummoxed," maybe you resolve to come back some other time without logging anything today, because the situation probably doesn't require attention.  (Sure, we all do it.  No harm, no foul.)  But, if you decide to log it, please be sure to choose the appropriate type of log, because, by doing so, you are asking to "trigger attention." Please be sure that you select the most-appropriate type of cache owner response:  "you are there right now, and we are not."   Thanks in advance.

Edited by Team Bear-Cat
2 hours ago, Team Bear-Cat said:

Needs Maintenance has a very specific meaning:  it means that you found the cache, but somehow found it to be broken.

I don't fully agree with this. Depends on the cache D rating.

If a 1D/1.5D cache has half a dozen DNFS in a row, I think it's reasonable to then log a NM. Either the cache is missing, or the rating is wrong. Something needs fixing. But not of it's a 4D. Rating should be a factor here.

4 hours ago, Team Bear-Cat said:

Needs Maintenance has a very specific meaning:  it means that you found the cache, but somehow found it to be broken.  Please be very specific.  (Our responses will be the same as above.)

I don't agree either - it simply means that something about the cache (including the listing) needs owner attention - the cache might be missing, broken, wet, logbook full (I'm willing to concede there will be disagreement on this one!), the listing might have a broken link needed for a puzzle, or the hint or cache might be wrong and misleading. If there was a requirement to find the cache, then how would we get of rid of muggled listings??

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, lee737 said:

I don't agree either - it simply means that something about the cache (including the listing) needs owner attention - the cache might be missing, broken, wet, logbook full (I'm willing to concede there will be disagreement on this one!), the listing might have a broken link needed for a puzzle, or the hint or cache might be wrong and misleading. If there was a requirement to find the cache, then how would we get of rid of muggled listings??

Yes indeed. A DNF by itself isn't a call for action by the CO, it's just a statement that the searcher couldn't find it for whatever reason. Most of the time, that reason isn't that the cache is missing or likely to be missing. I've had something like 60 DNFs posted across my hides and on only two occasions was there anything wrong with the cache (and both on the same cache - the first time it had been buried under a rockfall and on the second its replacement had been muggled). Likewise for the DNFs I've logged, only a small percentage were actually missing. I'm not very good at spotting even easy caches so I don't want COs seeing my DNFs as a call to action. If I think there's enough evidence at GZ to make me think the cache might be missing, enough to warrant asking the CO to do a check, I'll add a "might be missing" NM. That's what that particular canned NM log is for.

It really irks me that DNFs are being increasingly seen as a replacement for "might be missing" NMs, because that doesn't leave any room for me to simply say I didn't find it when I know or am pretty sure the cache isn't missing.

• Upvote 1

Two identical (now deleted) logs on two of my (apparently missing caches.

Found itFound it

Für heute hatte ich mir bei brütender Hitze diese Runde im WI-Ostfeld vorgenommen... Diese Dose konnte ich nach längerer Suche leider nicht finden... daher gibt es hier einen Fotolog. Muchas gracias für einen weiteren Smiley auf meiner Karte

(translation)

Today I made this series in sweltering heat in the WI-Ostfeld ... Unfortunately, I could not find this box after a long search ... so there is a Fotolog here. Muchas gracias for another smiley on my card

nope

A cache in a small town in a country with very few caches. It survives only with throwdowns and (mostly) "photo logs". So about 90% of the find logs would fit into this thread. I'd like to quote one "highlight", though:

reg_user.gifMember2.png921

Found itFound it

Ich war auch hier. Für eine Dosensuche blieb leider keine Zeit. (Unterwegs mit einer Reisegruppe) Ich glaube bei einer Anreise von 2900 km muss das Doserl nicht gefunden werden.

Translation: I was here too. There was no time to search the cache (was here with a tourist group). I think after a journey of 2900km you don't have to find the box.

• Funny 2
  • Surprised 1

We have a local cache that is set up to be difficult to access(although you can see it). I can’t believe the number of people who log “found it” and say something like, “ I can see it, so counting it”. ??

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, BugLuv said:

We have a local cache that is set up to be difficult to access(although you can see it). I can’t believe the number of people who log “found it” and say something like, “ I can see it, so counting it”. ??

Yep.

We have one high-up, but the container is huge, and requires a rope or ladder to access. 

A lotta logs will say "way up there" , " coolest cache I've seen yet"  (notice "seen"...)  or similar with...that...smiley.

Most folks email us about fakers, but when the doc finally gives me the ok to see myself ...  delete.  :)

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, baer2006 said:

A cache in a small town in a country with very few caches. It survives only with throwdowns and (mostly) "photo logs". So about 90% of the find logs would fit into this thread. I'd like to quote one "highlight", though:

Translation: I was here too. There was no time to search the cache (was here with a tourist group). I think after a journey of 2900km you don't have to find the box.

I too have traveled many 1000s of ks to a country with few caches to find the cache I was after had long gone. No throwdowns and a CO encouraging photologs. Logged a NA. It got archived. Where do people get this entitlement feeling? These days it doesn't seem to matter whether it's 1klm or 10,000klm. I am more upset by a MIA vactioning CO than missing out on one cache, there are plenty more out there.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Found itFound it

Having enjoyed a good breakfast at the xxx Diner, then having strawberries for dessert at the xxx event, it was time for some business. Talking to several previous finders, I had an idea of where the geocache should be. I brought a replacement container and placed some swag, and several TB's into the new container. It's between a rock and a tree, halfway up when parking at the xxx station. TFTH. TFTC. icon_smile.gif

Missing cache archived by the owner.  Guess those TBs are dead.

• Surprised 2

43 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

That's cruel. It's not the TBs' owners' faults.

Yeah, that's rough about the TBs. The guy who threw down the container should go back and pick up the TBs. 

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Upvote 1
On 7/7/2019 at 7:11 PM, L0ne.R said:
 43 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

That's cruel. It's not the TBs' owners' faults.

Yeah, that's rough about the TBs. The guy who threw down the container should go back and pick up the TBs. 

The throwdown container was move a hundred feet or so, and is now part of the Smokey Bear GeoTour.  It definitely was not there yesterday, but I found it today, and retrieved one of the Trackables (still listed in the archived cache.)  So the TBs have been rescued!

• Love 2

prem_user.gifPremium Member 2.png1950

Found itFound it. 08/02/2018

Big dead ponderosa pine has fallen right at the GZ and from previous logs, no one has found this one for a few years, so being good cachers, (and wanting a smiley), we've replaced this cache with the container in the attached photo, so cache is findable again! Thanks for the initial placement.

Advanced issues found

20 hours ago, NanCycle said:

prem_user.gifPremium Member 2.png1950

Found itFound it. 08/02/2018

Big dead ponderosa pine has fallen right at the GZ and from previous logs, no one has found this one for a few years, so being good cachers, (and wanting a smiley), we've replaced this cache with the container in the attached photo, so cache is findable again! Thanks for the initial placement  for not archiving the listing which allowed us to us take advantage and leave some litter behind, because that is the behavior that defines "good" cachers. 

Edited by L0ne.R

Found itFound it

I DNFed this one over 3 years ago. Since then a throw down replacement went it, and apparently is now also missing. This cache probably ought to be archived due to the lack of maintenance, but it is a reasonably fun puzzle, so I put out another throw down replacement so I can get it off the books. I doubt my replacement will last, either. TFTP

Edited by L0ne.R

Situation: Cache has a long string of DNF since August 2018(!), an unanswered NM and since recently an NA (because of obvious lack of owner response). So the cache is definitely gone.

Yesterday: Three "Found it" logs (I added my own translations of the German logs in red):

2.png1697

Found itFound it

2019-07-11

Auch wir waren hier erfolglos vor Ort. Wie aus mehreren Vorlogs ersichtlich ist, wird hier nicht mehr gewartet.

Wir sind so dreist und loggen diesen, damit wir den Inspektor-Clue für das Mysterium bekommen.

Translation: We were also unsuccessful here on site. As you can see from several old logs, no maintenance is done here anymore.

We are so bold and log this so that we get the inspector clue for the mystery.

2.png3107

Found itFound it

2019-07-11

Auch wir schließen uns an ... denn wir haben schon 2x vergebens das Gelände abgesucht

Translation: We do the same as well ... because we have already searched 2x in vain the area

reg_user.gifMember

2.png1215

Found itFound it

2019-07-11

Für den Inspektor-Clue bin ich dann jetzt mal so dreist.

Translation: For the Inspector Clue, I'll be so bold.

Fake logs because of souvenirs ... who would have expected that :rolleyes:;)?

• Funny 1

My pet peeve is throwdowns, and here's the latest one that angered me:

" I don't see this anywhere so I left a replacement. Hopefully CO doesn't mind but gosh darn it I drove about 150 miles to find some Jasmer worthy caches and I won't take DNF for an answer. Lol. Tftc "

This is a cache that already had a few DNFs, so my advice is, if you are going to drive 150 miles to get a geocache, maybe pick one that has been found recently, instead of picking one that is likely gone and just putting a new one in its place!  What is the thought process there?  "I know I am probably not going to find it, but I don't want a DNF, so instead of moving to one that I have a chance on, I'll just throw one down and find that one."

Edited by Ageleni
  • Upvote 4

We went into Indiana to find our first cache there. I glanced at this nearby cache to see that it had recent finds, but didn't read the logs. After getting to GZ and having issues, I read that there had been a throwdown less than a week before. This cache really should be moved, because it's a lampost cache, but the skirt is missing. There is nowhere to hide a cache, and I'm befuddled as to where the throwdown was even placed. No wonder it's already missing. We went out of our way to try and find a cache in this state, but I didn't throw down another cache. We drove farther and found a cache at a really cool location and I'm so glad I was forced to find something more interesting than a LPC for this state.

Ambrosia

2.png2652

Didn't find itDidn't find it

06/15/2019

We were trying to get a cache in Indiana, and this was the closest. I spent a long time looking for it in the rain, but my husband pointed out that there was only so many places it could be. Without a skirt, this isn't really an LPC, like it says in the hint.

reg_user.gifMember

2.png72

Found itFound it

06/13/2019

Thanks for replacing the missing cache. Tftf

2.png3124

Found itFound it

06/09/2019

[...] and I went ahead and replaced the container, happy caching to those who follow.

2.png312

Found itFound it

06/09/2019

Thanks for the smiley on this sunny day

reg_user.gifMember

2.png72

Needs MaintenanceNeeds Maintenance

05/05/2019

Co needs to check on cache

reg_user.gifMember

2.png72

Write noteWrite note

03/16/2019

Needs maintenance. Cash is gone

2.png711

12/27/2018

This definitely gone.

ch_user.gifCharter Member

2.png34508

09/19/2018

Yes another Wednesday is upon us and yes we are out and about the Cincinnati area caching once again. Today I am with
[...]. Hitting some caches we have tried before and failing once again at a couple and redeemed a DNF or two as well. Yes a DNF on a LPC....

Thanks for the cache. 

2.png21433

09/19/2018

Caching with [...].
nope.

reg_user.gifMember

2.png3

Found itFound it

07/31/2018

Awesome hide. We put another log strip in!

prem_user.gifPremium Member 2.png37065

Found itFound it 07/14/2019

My wife and I were heading home and stopped to visit friends in___________. I was out with the CO looking for this cache and neither of us could spot it, so the CO gave me permission to log it as a find. TFTC ______

prem_user.gifPremium Member 2.png25024
Owner MaintenanceOwner Maintenance 07/14/2019

Went to check on this one and it seems to be MIA. Will replace shortly.

I just got this notification for a cache on my watchlist:

• Log Type: Found it
  • Date: 16/07/2019
  • Type: Traditional Cache
Log:
Knew what we were looking for but no luck. Will be back

This looks to be yet another example of where the new logging page's default log type has resulted in the wrong type being logged. Sure enough, when I went to the cache page, the logger has spotted the mistake and changed it to a DNF. I feel like jumping up and down and yelling at someone in HQ, anyone, to please just get rid of these default log types!

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

I just got this notification for a cache on my watchlist:

• Log Type: Found it
  • Date: 16/07/2019
  • Type: Traditional Cache
Log:
Knew what we were looking for but no luck. Will be back

This looks to be yet another example of where the new logging page's default log type has resulted in the wrong type being logged. Sure enough, when I went to the cache page, the logger has spotted the mistake and changed it to a DNF. I feel like jumping up and down and yelling at someone in HQ, anyone, to please just get rid of these default log types!

I'll join that chorus! I feel like jumping up and down and yelling at someone in HQ, anyone, to please just get rid of these default log types!

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, K13 said:

I'll join that chorus! I feel like jumping up and down and yelling at someone in HQ, anyone, to please just get rid of these default log types!

Everybody go to your window right now ....  - - Network

I feel like jumping up and down and yelling at someone in HQ, anyone, to please just get rid of these default log types!

☺️

Edited by VAVAPAM
  • Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DerDiedler said:

This cache is about 500 meters off the coast on a tiny island.

Is my english to bad or are they realy stating that they were not even on the island the cache is on, but loged a found since they "spying this one from afar"? ?

I´m more than staggered.

image.png.645e5c50929b23f4906f6d75a289f387.png

Binocular find I reckon.

• Funny 1
On 7/5/2019 at 1:50 PM, cerberus1 said:

Yep.

We have one high-up, but the container is huge, and requires a rope or ladder to access. 

A lotta logs will say "way up there" , " coolest cache I've seen yet"  (notice "seen"...)  or similar with...that...smiley.

Most folks email us about fakers, but when the doc finally gives me the ok to see myself ...  delete.  :)

Ha, I'm relatively new and only have the one cache so far but I've had a few people tell me they can't open the cache but log it anyway. It has an appropriate difficulty rating and has the field puzzle attribute. I will say that the majority of those finders are relatively new so they will probably learn that they need to sign the logs. 

On 7/5/2019 at 5:15 AM, SOSaunders said:

The Best Ideas are to either delete log or contact the cacher.

Throwdown caches are a big No. otherwise every DNF there would be another container in the same place.

Agree, why bother with a throwdown. Log it appropriately and if you want to have a cache go ahead and place one somewhere. 

• Upvote 1