Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

Found itFound it

03/22/2018

After reading the logs, I brought a bison and zip-tied it next to the original zip-tie. I forgot to sign the log. Oh well. TFTC

Found itFound it
03/19/2018

Found the Split ring as well.. took a ride here earlier today, it took about 20 minutes, as i love these small “parks” in urban areas. Didnt have a new tube for you. Might have been muggled.

Found itFound it
02/02/2018
Also found a split ring and green zip tie didn't have any extra Bisons on me sorry. 
Found itFound it
01/14/2018

What we found was a green zip tie with a split ring...no container. You might want to stop by! Thanks !! 

Found itFound it
10/04/2017

As others, found cache clip and strap. Couldn't sign missing log.

Needs MaintenanceNeeds Maintenance
09/25/2017

Found strap - bison tube is missing.

Found itFound it
09/25/2017

Found connector, but cache was missing. 

Found itFound it
06/17/2017

I am logging this as a "found". I hope you agree. I found the plastic strap and O ring but the container was missing. TFTH

Found itFound it
06/08/2017

Found the tie & ring but bison is missing. Tftc

I think I edited out any giveaways. German and Dutch are not my language.

prem_user.gifPremium Member

2.png2106

Found itFound it

04/03/2019

Die Dose fehlt anscheinend, das Versteck ist jedoch gut finden könnenicon_smile_wink.gif Da wir auf Besuch in xxxx sind, loggen per Foto.

2.png5106

Found itFound it

04/03/2019

Alles akribisch abgesucht,,, wir erlauben uns nen Fotolog! xxxxxxxx wird das Bild posten.

TFTC!

2.png5295

Temporarily Disable ListingTemporarily Disable Listing

04/03/2019

Leider weg

2.png134

04/03/2019

Der scheint weg zu sein ?

2.png325

03/03/2019

Dieser Geocacher hat gemeldet, dass der Cache evtl. verschwunden ist.

2.png325

Didn't find itDidn't find it

03/03/2019

Auch wir sind hier nicht fündig geworden. Schade!

2.png134

03/03/2019

Nix mehr da ?

reg_user.gifMember 

2.png754

Found itFound it

27/02/2019

Irgendwann mit xxxxx gemacht

reg_user.gifMember 

2.png47

24/02/2019

Looked everywhere, no sign of it

2.png6319

23/02/2019

Leider nicht gefunden

2.png3702

23/02/2019

Leider nicht gefunden, trotzdem viele Grüße aus xxxxxxx

2.png1479

23/02/2019

Hier gab es heute für uns nichts zu holen.
Ist der Cache wirklich noch vor Ort???

2.png6439

Found itFound it

22/02/2019

Beruflich ein paar Tage in xxxx! Auf dem Weg zur Arbeit noch ein wenig cachen. icon_smile_big.gif
DFDC

2.png1862

22/02/2019

Hier ist definitiv nichts mehr zu finden.

2.png6081

Write noteWrite note

21/02/2019

Schon vor Jahren gefunden, anlässlich der großartigen Miss Saigon nochmal besucht und damit wieder ein paar Meilen für einige Reisende generiert. Nochmal TFTC.

2.png3824

21/02/2019

Deze geocacher heeft gemeld dat de cache weg zou kunnen zijn.

2.png3824

21/02/2019

Goed gekeken, maar helaas niet gevonden ondanks de duidelijke hint. Misschien verdwenen?

I realize the importance of preserving the spirit of geocaching, but I would not get bent out of shape over people marking geocaches as found that were not found. The placement of geocaches are for the fun of geocachers. People rob themselves of fun if they do not really find the geocaches. If people want to tout their numbers without earning it, they have to live with that on their consciences. 

4 minutes ago, rdrayeriii said:

I realize the importance of preserving the spirit of geocaching, but I would not get bent out of shape over people marking geocaches as found that were not found. The placement of geocaches are for the fun of geocachers. People rob themselves of fun if they do not really find the geocaches. If people want to tout their numbers without earning it, they have to live with that on their consciences. 

Veering OT in this thread, but...

I have two 5T caches left. 

People work hard for the "smiley" on those caches.  Fakers lack of principles is disrespectful to those people who accomplished them.

I delete their finds.

• Upvote 5
On 3/12/2019 at 2:54 PM, cerberus1 said:

Veering OT in this thread, but...

I have two 5T caches left. 

People work hard for the "smiley" on those caches.  Fakers lack of principles is disrespectful to those people who accomplished them.

I delete their finds.

Our team loves the high terrain caches; we have enjoyed cerberus1's caches over the years.  (On our last cerberus1 cache, one of the folks with us climbed the rope with knots... hard core.  Lazy me just frogged it.  See my log for pics,  https://coord.info/GC35JZH.)

For us, it isn't just the actual caching experience (kayaking, rope work, etc.), we also enjoy sharing the adventure with others, including the CO.  It's partially respect for the effort the CO puts into a high terrain cache, but it is also to encourage others to enjoy the cache, and to document our fun in a way that we can go back in the future and revisit the experience.

My sense it that if people aren't documenting their adventure via their logs, either they aren't wired the same way as we are, they didn't enjoy the cache or thought the cache wasn't worth the additional effort, or they are too absorbed in the "numbers thing" and just want to move on to the next smiley.

Too each his/her own.

• Upvote 1

From the screenshot it wasn't hard to find the cache page - oops. It was last found on the 26th of January (this year), those four are the only recent DNFs and there are no outstanding NMs. One of the DNFs, according to Google translate, said there was too much snow, one didn't say anything except for a yellow emoji and another said they could only search for a short time while changing means of transport on the way home from a business meeting. Under the circumstances I'd be willing to give that finder (and the CO) the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by barefootjeff
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

Under the circumstances I'd be willing to give that finder (and the CO) the benefit of the doubt.

I understand your point of view. The reviewer on the other hand seems to have no boubt.

I stoped there, looked up the listing, saw the logs and headed straight for the restaurant. Wouldn´t give it a shot over the current log´s.

@DerDiedler, @barefootjeff, you might want to trim out the screen cap - runs contrary to how this thread has been kept alive since 2004:

On 3/12/2004 at 7:10 PM, Jamie Z said:

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

(emphasis added)

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 1
On 1/24/2019 at 3:26 AM, colleda said:

"Can you imagine our surprise when we visited the cache site today to install the new container and found the "original" container intact and sitting exactly where it is supposed to be!..."

A case here for deleting the "Found It" log?

Not necessarily.  When you find a lid or anything that appears to be part of an old cache, you usually don't keep searching.  If the cacher believed she had found it, she'd have no reason to keep looking...but if the dummy lid had not been there, she may very well have searched a bit longer and found the original one.

• Upvote 1
On 2/17/2019 at 2:49 AM, colleda said:

I had my fingers and my eyes everywhere where the spoiler pictures shows. But nothing to find ☹️. So, I attach an image as log.

#4144 / 16:35

"I didn't actually find this, but here's a photo to show you that I was near it.  That counts, right?"

Needs Maintenance Needs Maintenance
31 Mar 19

This geocacher reported that the container is damaged.

Write note Write note
31 Mar 19

Container is damaged and current log is in danger of going missing

Found it Found it
31 Mar 19

Thanks for the fun hide! This cache is not in the place referenced by the hint. It actually is in danger of going completely missing. Since the container is damaged and not magnetic anymore. Look in the area of the hint, and you will find it. CO should replace container ASAP. Log is completely soaked.

Iceland is so pretty! Cheers from the USA

Didn't find it Didn't find it
29 Mar 19

Cache is not here

Needs Archived Needs Archived
29 Mar 19

No maintenance (except throwndowns) and a CO (from the UK) who's not been on the GC website since November 2017. Maybe it's better to archive this cache so someone who can maintain the cache can place a new one.

28 Mar 19

Obvious spot, is gone.

28 Mar 19

Cache container is gone

icon_smile.png 2356

28 Mar 19

Found the wright spot but the cache is gone.

Found it Found it
26 Mar 19

Second Iceland cache - woo hooo! Here celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and hoping to see some Northern Lights. ? Signed a very wet log under some rocks at the coordinates. Cool sculpture! TNLNSL TFTC ❤️

Found it Found it
26 Mar 19

Found it. Cool monument.

Found it Found it
25 Mar 19

We could not find a magnetic tube but there was a plastic bag with a kind of loogbook. Might nerd some maintenance .

Tftc

Found it Found it
24 Mar 19

The cache is gone but somebody already placed a tiny plastic bag underneath, under some stones. Greetings from Italy

19 Mar 19

Cache is gone. But pretty sculpture

Found it Found it
18 Mar 19

Together with Merlin55 the first time on Iceland! Such beautiful island to relax and enjoy the landscape.
Thanks for showing us these nice place and for the cache.

Found it Found it
18 Mar 19

Hey!

Almost at the end of exploring Reykjavik "Estrella85" and I visited the Sólfar - sculpture. And we've also had a look for the geocache, but we could just find a prvisoric logbook.
TFTC!
See you...

on4bam

18 Mar 19

Cache is gone and can NOT be logged.

Found it Found it
17 Mar 19

Nice artwork! Thanks for the cache, the container was missing.

Found it Found it
16 Mar 19

Found log, but container is missing RAMS

Found it Found it
14 Mar 19

Found it Found it
14 Mar 19
My second trip to this wonderful country, the first time in winter, wanting to see the aurora.

And of course with the desire to make a few caches, althoughalthough in an organized trip you can't look for much.

Not all of cache were found, sometimes due to lack of time, other times because the snow covered it.

I enjoyed the trip again a lot.

Thanks for hiding.

on4bam

14 Mar 19

No idea what others "found" here, The cache is missing.

14 Mar 19

This geocacher reported that the container is damaged.

How long will it take a reviewer to step in? :ph34r:

2.png4091

Found itFound it 03/29/2019

As per logs from other cachers, this is a strange one. Thanks for bringing me here.

2.png850

Found itFound it 10/18/2018

Found the gc tag as others have. Looked around for any physical sign of the cache to no avail. Marking as a find, unless I'm totally in the wrong and I'm missing it.

reg_user.gifMember
2.png 2

Didn't find itDidn't find it 05/27/2018

Found a tag in a tree, not sure if I just missed the cache or it was removed

2.png2168

Write noteWrite note 04/27/2018

Found a Tag in the tree, apparently that's not the cache. I'll be back.

6 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

another fishy one. What do you think of logs like these?

image.png.52992bb149663bb19e9210ba11e87c01.png

Translates to:

Here I was as a part of XXXXXX some time ago. Now I have my own account and log in therefore the nice cache.
Thanks for hiding!

Could be legitimate.  Of course a CO who wants to rigorously audit the logs might need to look up the earlier log, etc. But if the CO knows these local cachers, then it may be clear to all that this is valid.

7 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

another fishy one. What do you think of logs like these?

image.png.52992bb149663bb19e9210ba11e87c01.png

Translates to:

Here I was as a part of XXXXXX some time ago. Now I have my own account and log in therefore the nice cache.
Thanks for hiding!

We know many families whose kids break away and start their own account.    :)

We also know a few couples who divorced and one or both started their own account.

-  Most back-dated caches they've found when with the family.  

I believe that's why the site doesn't automatically lock caches when archived as well.   It's done that often.

• Upvote 1

Found itFound it

02/23/2019

I took a road trip today on an ---name of state--- county run trying to gather the last 7 counties needed to complete The Great ---name of state--- Challenge. Thanks for placing this cache and taking me here but the cache was gone. I replaced the cache in the fashion the hint explained but higher (magnetic). If the co doesn't wish for me to do this a deletion of my log is fine. I'm only try to help me, the co and others enjoy the area more.

"I'm only try to help me," LOL

1 hour ago, Korichnovui said:

GC1ZFZM

This one is remarkable in the sheer volume of visits it gets, and smileys that it continues to get without anyone signing a log. You can really get a sense of what % of cachers log the smiley vs a frowny or NM.

A virtual by default?? Time it was archived.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Korichnovui said:

GC1ZFZM

This one is remarkable in the sheer volume of visits it gets, and smileys that it continues to get without anyone signing a log. You can really get a sense of what % of cachers log the smiley vs a frowny or NM.

Gee, we had no problem finding that, and signing the log.  Of course, that was almost ten years ago...

Spotted on a rather high profile cache that is sure to draw some attention from the CO.  Am curious as to how long it stands.

2.png1

Found itFound it

The app won't remove the getting started screen unless I find 3 caches. That's really annoying. I'm going to try and find this cache 3 times and hope that resolves the issue. Attempt #1.

(I don't think it worked.)

On 4/2/2019 at 12:22 PM, on4bam said:
How long will it take a reviewer to step in? :ph34r:

You've raised the issue to the reviewer.  Until such time as you become the reaper reviewer for Iceland, you've done what you can.  Move on to the next one.

22 hours ago, hzoi said:

You've raised the issue to the reviewer.  Until such time as you become the reaper reviewer for Iceland, you've done what you can.  Move on to the next one.

And another NA but still no reviewer intervention

There is a cache near my house that I have been unable to find.  I tried messaging the CO repeatedly and they have not responded.  Then, recently, there were notes of 3 "Finds", but when I read the comments, they were clearly "Not Finds".  Frustrating.  The last "find" is a photo of something else, but no log.

image.png.590b6950ae2098df158630116de60f18.png

5 hours ago, boyfester said:

There is a cache near my house that I have been unable to find.  I tried messaging the CO repeatedly and they have not responded.  Then, recently, there were notes of 3 "Finds", but when I read the comments, they were clearly "Not Finds".  Frustrating.  The last "find" is a photo of something else, but no log.

Have you posted a Needs Maintenance (err, flag that something is wrong with the cache)?

7 hours ago, CHEZRASCALS said:

joe.PNG

Fair enough, delete.

I was checking though, as some people mark ALL their terrains 1.5 or less (not you obviously :)), no matter what the reality.

Some of the low marked terrains I have not returned to their hides, because I couldn't physically manage it, and with a low rating it's not something I should be expected to. An example, a 1T rating for a cache high in the rafters of a building. After getting it down with a long stick and then finding I couldn't physically return it (nothing to stand on, or climb on), I left that cache at ground level, and wrote in my log I replaced the cache to match its rating. The next finder wrote they agreed with me.

Yours is marked correctly though, so they should be expected to return it to it's hide.

• Upvote 3

05/07/2019

Dnf

reg_user.gifMember 

2.png32 

Found itFound it

04/28/2019

No geocache was found but hook was there

reg_user.gifMember 

2.png25 

Found itFound it

04/27/2019

Thanks 

reg_user.gifMember 

2.png25 

Write noteWrite note

04/27/2019

Found the hook and twine but cache is gone

reg_user.gifMember 

2.png1 

Found itFound it

04/27/2019

Found it

2.png31 

03/23/2019

DNF

2.png3391 

12/29/2018

Neat location but no find.

2.png220 

10/13/2018

Found the area but not the cache

reg_user.gifMember 

2.png2 

Found itFound it

09/30/2018

Follow the hook but the Geocache was gone believe it was taken and just left the hooks there

reg_user.gifMember 

2.png2 

09/23/2018

It is gone 

Mon: No log = no smiley. This is what the guidelines say. Don't tell me that "the game is for fun". 

Tue: I cannot find this cache. Did I make any mistake? The previous geocacher boasted it was easy.

Wed: Once again, no luck. The previous geocacher said he found this cache in a minute.

Thu: I didn't find this one too! The previous geocacher claimed his find after 5 DNFs in a row...

Fri: There's a construction site at the GZ! Everything has been destroyed and fenced! Nevertheless the previous geocacher found the cache! He must be a damned magician!

Sat: Or...

Sun: The terrain is 5 and I lack any equipment. However, the game is not about having equipment, it's for fun, right? "#3004, it was easy, TFTC" :) 

• Funny 2

2.png27919 

Found itFound it

08/11/2018

A quick find left a replacement container

2.png497 

08/10/2018

Needs replacing. 

2.png21 

06/14/2018

Dnf

reg_user.gifMember 
2.png

5/10/2018

Missing

reg_user.gifMember 
2.png

Write noteWrite note

05/10/2018

No longer there :(

reg_user.gifMember 
2.png10 

05/10/2018

Look where it was said to be. Even where someone else pictured it to be. It's missing 

2.png1280 

05/09/2018

Happened to be in the area and thought I’d double check and it’s definitely gone...

2.png

04/29/2018

Nothing was there.

I asked CO for logging permission because I think the original cache is gone, but I found what I believe it used to be based on the hint. There is no stick, band, or 35mm container at the location anymore. I signed a small piece of wood and left it in a hiding spot.