Sign in to follow this  
Followers 53
Jamie Z

Found It = Didn't Find It

6 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

When you deleted their logs, does it also bring down their log find totals? 

Yes, it does.

8 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

When you deleted their logs, does it also bring down their log find totals? 

It does.

On 3/16/2004 at 7:22 PM, SBPhishy said:

Yup. I agree with Wacko. I have a cache with a lock on it, as done another cacher out here. If you just went and held the cache, that wouldnt be a find, in my opinion.

With that sort of cache it's clearly obvious that the cache owner intends to have everyone open the lock to access the contents of the cache.   For most caches, once one has navigated to GZ,  and located the container, that's pretty much what the cache owner intended.   Personally, I think geocaching is more about finding hidden containers, not a game about collecting signatures on a log sheet.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

With that sort of cache it's clearly obvious that the cache owner intends to have everyone open the lock to access the contents of the cache.   For most caches, once one has navigated to GZ,  and located the container, that's pretty much what the cache owner intended.   Personally, I think geocaching is more about finding hidden containers, not a game about collecting signatures on a log sheet.  

Sometimes getting to where you can see the hiding place or the cache itself is the easy bit and the real challenge the CO has created is in reaching it. Tree climbs obviously fall into that category but there have been others where I've had to abandon my attempt and come back another day better prepared, maybe with a ladder, some rope, a grabbing tool or even a borrowed child.

e557002e-de4e-4c80-82b8-197933daf8fd_l.j

On one of colleda's caches, on my first attempt I was pretty sure I could see where it was hidden in a mangrove tree but the tide was right up and I didn't really want to have to wade out through the oozy mud not knowing what might be lurking in there (razor clams for a start in those waters). So I came back another day at low tide and it was an easy find.

13 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Sometimes getting to where you can see the hiding place or the cache itself is the easy bit and the real challenge the CO has created is in reaching it. Tree climbs obviously fall into that category but there have been others where I've had to abandon my attempt and come back another day better prepared, maybe with a ladder, some rope, a grabbing tool or even a borrowed child.

I don't disagree with you, but my point is that these types of caches are the exception.  Although signing the cache is considered a requirement, I suspect that for most, it's just an obligatory step that doesn't add anything to the experience but is required in order to get credit for the find. 

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

15 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I don't disagree with you, but my point is that these types of caches are the exception.  Although signing the cache is considered a requirement, I suspect that for most, it's just an obligatory step that doesn't add anything to the experience but is required in order to get credit for the find. 

I think it'd become even more confusing if there were separate rules for "seeing it is good enough" caches and those where getting to the logbook and signing it is required, particularly with the way the app is now set up as just click go and follow the arrow, where it's tough enough getting anyone to look at the description let alone any attributes.

Found itFound it

08/31/2019

Didn’t get the cache but located the cemetery...extremely overgrown area, thorns galore. Good luck

• Funny 1

On 4/2/2019 at 10:22 AM, on4bam said:

Needs Maintenance Needs Maintenance
31 Mar 19

This geocacher reported that the container is damaged.

Write note Write note
31 Mar 19

Container is damaged and current log is in danger of going missing

Found it Found it
31 Mar 19

Thanks for the fun hide! This cache is not in the place referenced by the hint. It actually is in danger of going completely missing. Since the container is damaged and not magnetic anymore. Look in the area of the hint, and you will find it. CO should replace container ASAP. Log is completely soaked.

Iceland is so pretty! Cheers from the USA

Didn't find it Didn't find it
29 Mar 19

Cache is not here

Needs Archived Needs Archived
29 Mar 19

No maintenance (except throwndowns) and a CO (from the UK) who's not been on the GC website since November 2017. Maybe it's better to archive this cache so someone who can maintain the cache can place a new one.

28 Mar 19

Obvious spot, is gone.

28 Mar 19

Cache container is gone

icon_smile.png 2356

28 Mar 19

Found the wright spot but the cache is gone.

Found it Found it
26 Mar 19

Second Iceland cache - woo hooo! Here celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and hoping to see some Northern Lights. 😍 Signed a very wet log under some rocks at the coordinates. Cool sculpture! TNLNSL TFTC ❤️

Found it Found it
26 Mar 19

Found it. Cool monument.

Found it Found it
25 Mar 19

We could not find a magnetic tube but there was a plastic bag with a kind of loogbook. Might nerd some maintenance .

Tftc

Found it Found it
24 Mar 19

The cache is gone but somebody already placed a tiny plastic bag underneath, under some stones. Greetings from Italy

19 Mar 19

Cache is gone. But pretty sculpture

Found it Found it
18 Mar 19

Together with Merlin55 the first time on Iceland! Such beautiful island to relax and enjoy the landscape.
Thanks for showing us these nice place and for the cache.

Found it Found it
18 Mar 19

Hey!

Almost at the end of exploring Reykjavik "Estrella85" and I visited the Sólfar - sculpture. And we've also had a look for the geocache, but we could just find a prvisoric logbook.
TFTC!
See you...

on4bam

18 Mar 19

Cache is gone and can NOT be logged.

Found it Found it
17 Mar 19

Nice artwork! Thanks for the cache, the container was missing.

Found it Found it
16 Mar 19

Found log, but container is missing RAMS

Found it Found it
14 Mar 19

Found it Found it
14 Mar 19
My second trip to this wonderful country, the first time in winter, wanting to see the aurora.

And of course with the desire to make a few caches, althoughalthough in an organized trip you can't look for much.

Not all of cache were found, sometimes due to lack of time, other times because the snow covered it.

I enjoyed the trip again a lot.

Thanks for hiding.

on4bam

14 Mar 19

No idea what others "found" here, The cache is missing.

14 Mar 19

This geocacher reported that the container is damaged.

How long will it take a reviewer to step in? :ph34r:

A very long time it seems.

Almost a year has gone by, many DNF's, many Found it logs where it's clear nothing was found.

After 6 NA, 246 DNF's and 126 NM there's NO ACTION whatsoever by the CO. What's the CHS of this one I wonder?

Found it Found it
01 Feb 20

No missing light?? Hope CO is happy with photo log. Lovely views across the water from here. Loving Iceland 🇮🇸. Tftc

Found it Found it
25 Jan 20

There were so many people around. I have tried to find ist but I also didn‘t wanz to endanger the cache. So I hope a photo log is okay. TFTC

18 Jan 20

Emplacement exact scotch arraché

Found it Found it
13 Jan 20

Our first trip to Iceland was quite an adventure!! All of our tours were cancelled, due to adverse weather conditions :o( Very disappointing!.... but we still enjoyed, very much, our long walks in the snow, around Reykjavik.
We managed to find a few geocaches, although many were under deep snow or frozen in the ground!!
The sculpture here is stunning. Very beautiful and in a fabulous location. At GZ there is a new light (not broken/missing, as described in the cache details)
**** almost got frostbite, feeling around and digging in the deep snow and ice at GZ. We saw some others said they found it today. Perhaps they meant they found the sculpture?
In which case, hope you will allow us a photo log :o)

TFTC Gave a fave point for location

Found it Found it
05 Dec 19

My second day on Iceland. The plan for today was to take the car and make a trip to the south-western part of the island. But due to the snow and lack of a four-wheel drive car, I decided to take a long walk in Reykjavik instead.

The walk lasted for some 7 hours and was around 15km. I found 16 different caches around the city on a very nice walk in the cold winter weather.

This was one of my finds this day. I also found the lid, but no cache.

Found it Found it
02 Dec 19

TFTC. As others have said lid found but no cache. Absolutely brilliant bit of art.

Found it Found it
27 Nov 19

Great trip here in Iceland!

Found the lid... As I'm not sure to come back soon, I log this one.
Thanks for this cache and this very nice place.

27 Nov 19

It is missing. Bummer. Cool spot for a cache!

Found it Found it
23 Nov 19

Obviously the container and logbook is gone!

Very nice place for a cache!

19 minutes ago, on4bam said:

A very long time it seems.

Almost a year has gone by, many DNF's, many Found it logs where it's clear nothing was found.

After 6 NA, 246 DNF's and 126 NM there's NO ACTION whatsoever by the CO. What's the CHS of this one I wonder?

I visited Iceland a few years ago, and finding caches, I got the feeling that there was no reviewer watching the caches.

4 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I visited Iceland a few years ago, and finding caches, I got the feeling that there was no reviewer watching the caches.

Who publishes new caches then? It's exactly this kind of caches and behavior that gives geocaching a bad name. Many of these Found it logs are by cachers with 10000+ "finds" (even 40000+ !) What does this tell someone new to the hobby? Log if you were there (or not), place and forget when creating a geocache....

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, on4bam said:

Who publishes new caches then?

It's hard to know where the reviewer is from, because they use a mythical location as theirs.

The basic member, and the one with the least amount of finds did the right thing and logged a DNF:

prem_user.gifPremium Member

2.png2399

Found itFound it

11/29/2019

The cache was gone but the green holder was still there.

2.png6381

Found itFound it

07/27/2019

I remember finding this one years back but just had forgot to log it..today when i came back and stopped to show a muggle friend while out riding i only saw the wire...tftc nice church here

reg_user.gifMember

2.png88

Didn't find itDidn't find it

07/20/2019

Well, we found a wire in the tree where it might have been, but no sign of the cache.

• Upvote 1

Found itFound it

10/05/2018

I am guessing that the container is missing as i found a location consistant with the hint holding material likely to have been used for attachment.

Found itFound it

12/04/2018

Wasnt able to locate and I didnt bring a spare container, pity.

Logging because many caches here in PR are not maintained and nee ones are not common. Glad to be up here on the mountain, first time to the peak!

Signed as WAJ
3:08 PM

On 1/4/2020 at 11:23 AM, on4bam said:

Oh boy....

I found one that was inside a galvanized steel fence post. You had to remove the top cap, but then there was no string to retrieve the actual cache. Turns out there was a small hole at the ground level, and the bottom of the pipe was filled with concrete up to that level. You had to bring a gallon of water and plug the hole at the bottom. When you filled the pipe with water, the cache simply floated to the top. As soon as you unplug the hole (My daughters finger worked nicely), the water drained out and the cache just dropped back down to the bottom of the pipe where it stayed relatively dry. Brilliant idea! One of the best I have ever seen.

Seeker_Knight

• Upvote 1

Found itFound it 12/22/2019

XXX and I gave a good search, but did not find the cache. We left a replacement log in a little plastic sleeve that has the geocaching symbol on it. Hide under a red flat rock.

Will claim a find, but if the CO checks and finds the original container, I will change to dnf.

TFTC SL

Some just can't handle having to DNF.

2.png2770

Found itFound it

08/12/2018

Found icon_smile.gif -- 2:00 pm -- Thanks for the hunt and Thanks for bringing us here to this location

Cache Condition:
Took: Nothing.
Left: Nothing.  [Throwdown]
Trackables:

The Cache
Coming here wasn't in my plans but was marked as a possibility. As it happens it was a good call. We were on a quick overnight caching trip to find a marked 53 caches - that would be a mean feat for us!! and I wasn't confident in finding that many. We left home later than I had intended and remarkably whipped through all our marked caches between xxxxxxx and xxxxx, arriving at our camping location and getting our tent pitched and setup just before daylight sunk. So this cache was an extra smiley I might not have acquired on this occasion and of course the cache can be tick off our map.

Searched around the obvious location and could not find. I couldn't leave with two DNF here especially as it hasn't been found in over a year. Placed a new container here albeit permanent or temporary with intentions to contacted the CO when home. That aside, this location is fantastic and I am giving it a favorite point but admittedly I didn't see the attractions here until I was driving away, I was considering the road was the focus. I will put it in my notes to return here again for a proper look as my main focus today was the cache.

The Day
OCW xx xxx xxxxxx xxxxxx and xxxxx xxxxx xxx for a quick weekend caching and cache maintenance, and WOW, what a weekend it was - Absolutely AMAZING !!! We had a fantastic time. A bit sunburnt icon_smile_clown.gificon_smile_sad.gif on the drivers side arm, tired, exercised icon_smile.gif and very happy from a journeying through some amazing countryside. We found a bunny among bricks beside a cache icon_smile_shock.gif, sheep running loose outside fencelines, fortunately No snakes icon_smile_big.gif. A hot day but a nice breeze is blowing.

51 = 45 icon_smile.gif 2 icon_smile_sad.gif 4 icon_smile_shy.gif not attempted.