Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

In another thread, the topic of logging a find when the cacher really didn't find the cache was mentioned. Someone suggested it would make an interesting topic on its own. I agree.

This thread is for all those smiley-faced logs that admit that the hunters did not really find the cache.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

Here's my first contribution:

icon_smile.gif Found the spot, but not the cache! No film canister that I could find, but I was right on it at 0.0 feet! 1st find on my own!
  • Upvote 4
  • Funny 1
In another thread, the topic of logging a find when the cacher really didn't find the cache was mentioned. Someone suggested it would make an interesting topic on its own. I agree.

This thread is for all those smiley-faced logs that admit that the hunters did not really find the cache.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

Here's my first contribution:

icon_smile.gif Found the spot, but not the cache! No film canister that I could find, but I was right on it at 0.0 feet! 1st find on my own!

They should take up geodashing instead.

• Upvote 1

Like this one:

Got held up in traffic leaving the City of Brotherly Love...reached the SITE shortly after they must have closed the gate...sat in my car debating WHAT to do??? I saw the cache as approx. .14-.15 from my spot...hmmmm? Saw the water hazard too THEN I saw the 2nd gate CLOSE! Drat, had just missed it by about 15 minutes!!!! Snapped some photos to confirm my visit...hope you will allow this as a 'find'.

Someone had passed through KC and did some caches.

They visited the first stage of my multi but did not have the cache page so they could not figure the final leg. They didn't try. They didn't find, nor did they sign the log.

The logged a find anyway.

I deleted it.

Here is their reply:

"Aww come on DJ. Surely with 120 some finds you have gone to other citys to cache blind. Puzzle caches like yours can't be completed w/o an internet conection. Mine was 5hrs away. Give us non-KC guys a break."

What a neat cave. We went to the top and looked down. We are counting this as a find, because we found the cave and could see the cache. Just didnt have stuff with us to reach it today. We'll be back. This was our 3rd find of the day. And really did enjoy the area. Some pretty rugged terrain
;)

No matter that the description specified that rapelling would be needed to reach the cache!

• Upvote 3

Gonna count this as a 'find' (even though we could not locate the physical cache.....looked and looked, seems like we spent 45 min to an hour, must be buried under solid rock). Very cool experience down the road at the quarry though. Really spooky. The license tag on that blue/green Mack truck was dated '83'. Wow, has this place been shutdown for that long? Maybe someone will email me with a better clue for the cache, I would like to visit this place again and make the find 'official'.

The Log

To be fair, this person did go back a few weeks later and found the cache.

Wow! I can see I'm missing out here. There are probably at least 2-300 caches I can log as found by some of the logic I've seen in this thread. I drove down the highway, and saw the park where the cache was, but there was no exit. Found it!

Heck, I did THREE caches today that were missing. I went with someone who had found them previous, so it's confirmed they are missing. Still, it was a great hike, so I guess those count too, right?

If you didn't actually find the cache, why log it a find? You really don't know that the cache is even there.

Like this one:

Got held up in traffic leaving the City of Brotherly Love...reached the SITE shortly after they must have closed the gate...sat in my car debating WHAT to do??? I saw the cache as approx. .14-.15 from my spot...hmmmm? Saw the water hazard too THEN I saw the 2nd gate CLOSE! Drat, had just missed it by about 15 minutes!!!! Snapped some photos to confirm my visit...hope you will allow this as a 'find'.

I think I saw this posting (or at least one very similar to it) and what I was most surprized by was who posted it. When someone already has a large number of cache finds, you'd think they wouldn't be worried about logging those that they didn't find, or in this case even get close to. But then maybe that's helps explain the large number of finds in the first place. Humm let see.... I was in the DC Mall on Tuesday evening so I guess I can log the other 25 or 30 caches there that I was generally in close proximity to.

In my area, a certain person hid a street light cache in a relatively busy area about 20' in the air, in plain sight. I saw it, didnt make an attempt to get it and logged it a find. In the log I stated that if he had a problem with me not signing the log, I would delete it. He asked me to, and I did. I just didnt want to go through the trouble to get it down. hehe

I think I saw this posting (or at least one very similar to it) and what I was most surprized by was who posted it. When someone already has a large number of cache finds, you'd think they wouldn't be worried about logging those that they didn't find, or in this case even get close to. But then maybe that's helps explain the large number of finds in the first place. Humm let see.... I was in the DC Mall on Tuesday evening so I guess I can log the other 25 or 30 caches there that I was generally in close proximity to.

You probably did see that one. Both of the ones I posted were from cachers with 4 figure "find" counts. 2 different cachers, and no, I won't name either, but they're obviously far from newbies, and should know better.

If I logged a cache every time my GPS zeroed out, I'd have no NO FINDS. There is one in particular here in Lexington, KY that I was standing centimeters away from but still didn't see it. Did I log it as a find? Nope. Did I go back FIVE times to find it...YUP.

If people want to log finds just for being in a place and not finding anything I guess they could take up convergence hunting. Even then, they could say, well the convergence was in the Atlantic, I was standing ankle deep in the ocean... I GOT IT!

Please folks, I don't want a debate or dropping hints as to who logs them. (Or links!) There are plenty of other threads for that.

The logs speak for themselves and make for entertaining reading. If you find a found-it log that indicates that the cache wasn't found, post it here. If not, don't.

Here's another:

icon_happy.gif Well, forgot to check the logs before I waypointed this one. Anyway......IT'S STILL GONE!! Sorry....

Jamie

I ran across this one from a while back:

icon_smile.gif DIDN'T FIND THE CACHE! but logging this as a find anyway because we went all through the park and I think that's what the owner had in mind anyway. We are from Nashville, and returning isn't so easy. This is a fantastic park and we encourage everyone to visit. I've never seen so much beautiful scenery. Memphis is very lucky to have this place. We talked with the owner of the park for a few minutes. What a pleasant man. In looking for the cache, we did find a Hav-a-hart trap and a steel trap. Therefore, tread lightly while looking. If the trapper is doing his job properly, he should be visiting the site at least twice daily, which may explain the absence of cache. Peace and happy caching to all...

Jamie

December 13, 2003 by x (62 found)

Tim found #1 easy, #2 had to look just right but we found it. #3 Could not find it, while looking a park personal came by. She think it went missing. We'll keep a eye out and if someone finds it, we'll come back a finsh it.

Stage 3 was there. I found it (and stage 4) a few weeks later. "X" hasn't logged that he's been back.

(This particular cache has quite few logs of "finds" by people who find the first 1 or 2 and can't find the next....)

In my area, a certain person hid a street light cache in a relatively busy area about 20' in the air, in plain sight

How were you supposed to get it?

DIDN'T FIND THE CACHE! but logging this as a find anyway because we went all through the park and I think that's what the owner had in mind anyway.

Are these people insane? This is blowing my mind... B)

Recently there were four bogus finds by the same cacher on the same day in my local area. In every instance the cacher was at ground zero but figured there was too much snow to actually find them. They posted spoiler picks instead. B)

What angered me the most is that one of the caches was actually found the previous day by a newbie cacher. They had the nerve to mention in their log that us local cachers need to educate newbies about burying caches! :P The next day, the cache was checked by the owner and found exactly where it was supposed to be...not buried at all! I guess when you are on a cache blitz for more numbers you can't let a tricky hide slow you down!

All of their bogus "found" logs that day have been deleted so I can't post them.

I've noticed this type of behavoir is usually associated with strictly "numbers" cachers. Any one else notice that too?

Salvelinus

November 23, 2003 by Shaggy of Mysteries Inc (178 found)

I was in the area today doing some new caches and decided to check on this cache.

I am glad to say the cache is still there!

Since the cache has been archived I will take the cache home and contact the owner.

~Shaggy~

Archived  August 25, 2003 by (Owner)  (182 found)

Sorry I will hide one a little harder to find next time

(Owner)

:rolleyes:  August 24, 2003 by (XXXXXX) (1299 found)

Hit the cache with (XXXX) in tow. He made sure we weren't just missing it. The cache must be missing.

:blink: August 24, 2003 by (XXXX) (891 found)

This cache Is missing. I came along with (XXXX) and after a few of us searched for a while he came up and verified that the cache is in fact missing.

The cacher who confirmed that the cache was missing, also has over 1,000 finds.

I did contact the owner who didn't seem to mind that they had logged finds, when the cache was indeed there and they did not find it.

He told me to keep the container to set another of my caches (My caches are hidden under our team name Mysteries Inc).

~Shaggy~

Edited by Shaggy of Mysteries Inc

As a newcomer to geocaching, I don't see why someone even considers logging a find that they didn't actually find. Out of 7 searches I've made so far, 2 were not found, and I didn't have a problem saying that, even though I KNOW I was "right there". I would think it's important to note when a cache is "not found" as it could be missing and the owner needs to know.

That's my opinion, and I think everyone it entitled to it. (My opinion, that is!)

sbellis

• Upvote 3

Okay, here's a good one. To give a little background, this is one of the toughest caches in my region. Its on the supports of an abandoned RR bridge and requires that you slide between old RR ties to the bridge support, then walk about 8 feet on a 4 inch wide steel beam, suspended about 40 feet above a rocky river. A tough cache!

Here is the found it log:

WELL!! LET ME SAY THE COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ONE ARE ALL TRUE. WHILE I DID FIND THE CACHE I DIDN'T ACTUALLY TOUCH IT. MY 5'11 210LB BODY WOULD NOT SQUEEZE THRU. I SAT AND STARED DOWN AT IT FOR A WHILE,LOOKED AROUND FOR MACRO'S IMPLEMENT OF RETREIVAL, FINALLY DECIDED TO GET OUT OF THERE BEFORE MY NERVES GAVE OUT OR SOMEBODY CALLED THE POLICE THINKING I WAS A JUMPER. NICE AREA,BROUGHT MY MOUNTAIN BIKE AND RODE ALONG THE CANAL PATH FOR ABOUT 10 MILES. THANKS FOR THE ADVENTURE AND

A FEW MORE GRAY HAIRS. JIM

Here's one from a 2 stage multi. At least I'll give them some credit for finding the first part in the dark:

Only found the first part. Found it at 11:30 pm. This adds a little of a new adventure to geocaching: doing it in the dark! Couldn't find clues to the second part, probably because it was dark.

I came across a cache where TWO people had logged a "virtual" find on a missing cache.

The cache is no longer there. I am logging this as a virtual since I followed the directions in the clue and can say with confidence that the cache has been removed. I emailed some info to the cache owner. It's a great spot. I would recommend replacing the cache in a different hiding spot.

Found it as a virtual alright... nice area. The tree looked like it had been trimmed since the last find... could be they found it too.

Instead of logging a find, WE had it archived instead. Heh!

I came across a cache where TWO people had logged a "virtual" find on a missing cache.

Some people have no shame. They even left the finds after several subsequent geocachers berated them in their own DNF logs :rolleyes:

One of my favorite ones....wish I could track it down...was a cache that was in a jar that was attached to a board by a pair of screws in its lid. The jar went missing, so people started logging the lid as a find. OK, I may give them that. Then the lid went missing and people were logging the screw holes as finds. And I'm not talking about 1 or 2 people. There were a bunch who did this!

Edited by briansnat

BS, one of my all-time favorites also.

Here you go, all from the same cache, in chronological order:

icon_happy.gif This cache appears to be gone. I found what looks like the remains of it and email the owner about it a few minutes ago.
icon_happy.gif Hi, Found the two-inch silver lid with blue printing screwed to a piece of wood with two Phillips-head screws but nothing else. Could the contents of this cache be left to our imagination? Never the less, it's in a beautiful location.
icon_happy.gif I found the jar lid attached to the wood. I could not actully get close enough to touch it as the water was breaking over it, and I did not come prepaired to get wet. I did get a photo of it, hope that counts as a find. Very nice area.
icon_happy.gif What a great city! Forty miles from home, yet never explored it before. Great beaches, beautiful lakefront, super architecture. A city that seems to bridge time: when was the last time you saw working street cars, not just museum displays? Coffee shops with original neon signs from decades ago? Noticed that the worn but grand old beachhouses here and at the Dunes cache were built in the mid 1930s, WPA projects perhaps? Anyway, enjoyed the hunt very much, and found the lid (now that this has become a virtual cache). Thanks!
icon_happy.gif Found the lid/cache on our way from Brownsville to our daughters aprt.in Kenosha. We later let her and her NEW HUSBAND (of one month) find the cache for themselves. The lakefront area was really neat with the street cars, boat slips, harbor and restaurants. We ate at the Boat House. Thanks for the cache, it brought us down to the lakefront.
icon_happy.gif Found it. Didn't realize it until I readthrough the logs lised. Very blustery day, waves crashing down on me the whole time. Beautiful area! Took a trolley ride and a lot of pictures. Well worth the effort. Thanks for placing it.
icon_happy.gif I just received an E mail on 02/22/02 from the person that placed the cache. They said the cap was gone, and replaced with green painted dots on the top of the bolder.
:rolleyes: Was there right after sunrise, kinda of slippery with ice on the rocks. Found the driftwood but couldn't see the lid.
:) I looked for this one with no luck. Saw the driftwood but no green paint spots. Too cold to stand out there for very long. Will go back when it's warmer.
:D Geodashing with a view.
:D Found the green spots. Nice area, Thanks
:blink: Found it. They sure have changed the area since we've been down there. Thanks
:) Found It. The green dots were still plainly visible.

Finally someone posted this needs archived log:

icon_remove.gif It's a little wierd for this cache to still exist almost a year after it has disappeared. If any future hunters want to look for it, be aware that it does NOT exist. There is no cache, everyone is just logging a find of the spot that they think it may have been. Like I said, pretty wierd...

And then Jeremy archived it with this note:

icon_remove.gif Archived. Odd that this was never reported missing. - Admin

Three people posted DNFs and one posted a note in the middle of all this. It seems there was another cache like this, too.. I'll see if I can dig that one up.

Oh.. I ran into the image-limit per post. (10) so I had to replace them with regular smileys. :)

Jamie

This team found the reason for the previous DNFs, but logged theirs as a find, probably because 'they solved the case'. :rolleyes:

Looked for this one for an hour, before 4 wood-cutters walked up from their lunch break in the nearby village and asked if I was looking for a plastic box !!

Pointed to the area it was meant to be in and said they had taken it months ago to use at home !! (They said they were sorry if it is any consolidation!!).

I told them not too worry, and I have placed a new cache nearby (600 mtrs away).

At least we know what happened now !!

:rolleyes: September 13, 2003 by <removed to protect the guilty> (160 found)

OK SO I AM GOING TO LOG THIS AS A CACHE AS IT HAS NOT BEEN MOVED AND I DO NOT THINK IT IS THERE AND I WOLD LIKE TO OF FIND ALL CACHES IN THIS AREA I DID THIS CACHE 2 TIMES AND NO UP DATES DELETE IF IT IS THERE THINK I WILL PUT ONE OUT THERE MY SELF CACHE ON BIG BEAR.

Yeah...that's a fnd...not!

Ed

These are all from the same cache:

Well, only found part one, so far! Friday of the Memorial day holiday may not have been the best day to attempt this, and boy was it hot. After a couple of hours driving to get down the shore I hit part one. Didn't drive all the way to the end because I missed it by one street. Lots of traffic and a detour right there. My luck. Anyway, got part one and the coordinates for part II. Sort of can't help being seen by the fishermen, so I acted like I was checking several other spots so they would forget seeing me at the cache. Off to part II in the traffic on Rt 9. Finally at about 5pm I got to the location of the RR bed. Pretty overgrown. I think when I go back, I am taking a raft and crossing the river or paying one of those wild wave runner guys to just shuttle me across. Got to be the easiest way. So, as far as logging the time between I and II. It could be longer then one and half hours so I don't think I win! Good one. Thanks for the tour. If I go down the tracks, I will save all the ticks and send them to you! (LOL).

Found part 1. There was no one around and had no problem finding cache. Took ball left tooth brush. Hid a cache while in the area then went to find cache #2. Located the entry path but it was getting late. We will go back tomorrow to make the hike.

It's my first find, and I'm elated.

I'm going to tackle Part II soon.

I left a new pen and took a toy train.

The train don't pass by here no more, that's

for sure. But it was great fun, and not a

difficult trek. Next time, I'll wear some

Skin So Soft.

Found part 1 no problem, though all of us, including the dog where bug food! The flies were nasty today. Will have to come back for part two. Not even Skin-so-soft could save us or the pooch!

Happy Turkey Day! Two brave fishermen off to the left battling the 30-degree temperatures. The cache was in good shape and well hidden. Took nothing except the coordinates for the second part. We will go after that one tomorrow… after we finish off some leftover turkey.

We got the first Part, and attempted the second Later in the day. It was very windy and cold! Thanks for the hunt!

Third one of the Day. Found part #1 today will have to come back for part #2 when I get a free Day. What a Windy Day that put the chill on. There was a Fisherman out today he must of been chilled to the bone but the sun was pleasant TN Left pencil and a Snake. Thanks for the hunt to be continued.

Tough one to get to. Dont try this when it is wet or the tide is high. Couldnt make it to the second part, it was to wet for us. Still had fun.

Fun cache...tide was too high to retreive pt. 2 but we know correct access & signed log book at pt. 1. TNLN. THANKS!

Found Part 1

We found part one with no problems, but are having a heck of a time on part 2. We've tried a couple of different ways, but can't get any closer than the rail bed on Rte 9, which is not do-able in our car. We also tried a couple of side streets, but then we would have the parkway to deal with. Any one out there willing to give us a hint on how to access part 2? We don't mind a hike, but with a 2 year older, over a mile in and out is just too far. Thanks!

Part I anyway. We road our bikes to the part I cache and found it with little trouble. Green Flies were really bad!! Drew blood on myself and my son. We took and left nothing in the first part. We abandoned try for part II  when my GPS indicated that we may have to cross some water.

It all goes to show we play the game to our own rules. Some of the above logs are from cachers I cache with, know, and like. Yet, they log a find differently than I do. No biggy.

--EDIT--

I forgot to mention, as you will gather from reading the above, part 2 is the challenge for this cache.

Edited by Frolickin
These are all from the same cache:

[...]

It all goes to show we play the game to our own rules.  Some of the above logs are from cachers I cache with, know, and like.  Yet, they log a find differently than I do.  No biggy.

--EDIT--

I forgot to mention, as you will gather from reading the above, part 2 is the challenge for this cache.

I had a quick look at the page, and it's not totally clear that it's a multi (other than the multi icon). Often, I've seen a cache in two parts where you can log both. The second part is a bonus for those who've found the first. Of course, the 3.5* rating should let them know they have to get both.

Are there a log book and swaps in the first part?

I can see where the confusion arises.

Maybe a comment such as "You must find both parts to log a find" would help?

Stu

Edited by stu_and_sarah
November 20, 2002 by x (542 found)

[Found Cache Location OK. Guess this one will have to be turned into a virtual cache. The container seems to be gone, but the view is well worth the drive!!!]x

This was followed by many people claiming this cache as a find, in a virtual way! Eventually the owner said the cache must be missing so you can log it as a virt, but it is still listed as a traditional cache!

February 2, 2003 by x (633 found)

Found it! xx that is! Got some help from a guy in town how to get here! Did the groundhog see his shadow? Too much snow to see a groundhog up here!!!! And too much snow and too much glass to poke around looking for the cache! So we did the virtual thing!

the log from the next finder, to much glass to bother looking!

And these logs were from people with many finds!

edit added another log, and took out location

Edited by PSUPAUL

Please respect the wishes of the original poster, and refrain from posting names of individual geocachers, other information that would readily identify them, or links to cache pages. Going forward from this notice, I will edit and/or delete posts that stray from the boundaries described by the topic originator. Thank you.

Okay, here's a good one. To give a little background, this is one of the toughest caches in my region. Its on the supports of an abandoned RR bridge and requires that you slide between old RR ties to the bridge support, then walk about 8 feet  on a 4 inch wide steel beam, suspended about 40 feet above a rocky river. A tough cache!

Here is the found it log:

WELL!! LET ME SAY THE COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ONE ARE ALL TRUE. WHILE I DID FIND THE CACHE I DIDN'T ACTUALLY TOUCH IT. MY 5'11 210LB BODY WOULD NOT SQUEEZE THRU. I SAT AND STARED DOWN AT IT FOR A WHILE,LOOKED AROUND FOR MACRO'S IMPLEMENT OF RETREIVAL, FINALLY DECIDED TO GET OUT OF THERE BEFORE MY NERVES GAVE OUT OR SOMEBODY CALLED THE POLICE THINKING I WAS A JUMPER. NICE AREA,BROUGHT MY MOUNTAIN BIKE AND RODE ALONG THE CANAL PATH FOR ABOUT 10 MILES. THANKS FOR THE ADVENTURE AND

A FEW MORE GRAY HAIRS. JIM

We have a new similar cache here (requires some climbing and balance). People have been going in groups and one person retrieves the cache for all to sign the log then they all log finds. I guess I don't really care if they do that, but I know I would feel wierd about logging a find in that circumstance since part of the find is suppose to be the difficulty of reaching the cache.

Edited by carleenp
Boy we sure spend lots of time worrying about what others do don't we? :rolleyes:

I can't speak for the rest of the folks here, but I'm not necessarily worrying about other people's logs, I'm just finding the tactics of those people entertaining.

When I first started caching, just after I placed my first cache, I dropped a TB into it. I didn't know at the time that I could drop a TB with a note, so I posted a "Find" on it to drop the TB. Someone here in the forums called my attention to that a few weeks later, and kindly instructed me that I could make a note and drop a TB.....I appreciated their help.

I also logged a find on the first cache I tried to find that had been muggled.....but changed it a few days later to a note after reading the forums....being a noob, my train of thought was that I know for a fact I was in the right place (because of the hint), but it wasn't there, so I basically found where it was supposed to be. After reading the forums a bit, I realized that wasn't proper etiquette, so I changed it to a note. I later went back and logged a find when the cache had been replaced.

:D  September 13, 2003 by <removed to protect the guilty> (160 found)

OK SO I AM GOING TO LOG THIS AS A CACHE AS IT HAS NOT BEEN MOVED AND I DO NOT THINK IT IS THERE AND I WOLD LIKE TO OF FIND ALL CACHES IN THIS AREA I DID THIS CACHE 2 TIMES AND NO UP DATES DELETE IF IT IS THERE THINK I WILL PUT ONE OUT THERE MY SELF CACHE ON

Yeah...that's  a fnd...not!

Ed

Heh heh.. I know who this is. THE ALL CAPS GAVE IT AWAY AS DID THE LACK OF PUNCTUATION YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.?.!

Here's another cache he DNF and then later "found":

:D - June 29, 2003 by X (160 found)

I DONT THINK THE CACHE IS THERE I WALKED IN THE MUCK UP TO MY WASTE IT DID NOT SMELL GOOD ETHER AND LOOKED ALL AROUND WHERE CACHE MIGHT BE BUT NOT TO BE FOUND I AM STILL WET AND CANT SAY MUCH ABOUT HOW I SMELL GUESS I DESERVED IT CACHE ON

:P - August 17, 2003 by X (160 found)

Well I did not find this cache as I do not think it is there But If you would like I will put one out there for you If I dont here from you I will do so this was my 2nd try at this cache and I look every where Thanks

He's actually got a few really good caches out our area.. but also has many film cans tossed in the shrubs. You just have to pick and choose which ones to do.

Edit: removed name from the orignal log quoted.

Edited by CurlyKrakow

This one was forwarded to me via email:

icon_smile.gif When (geocacher) told us there was a cache in a cave, (we) went wild and had to do this cache. So we drove up from (location) in the (car) and found the cave. Unfortunately, the cache has gone missing. (Geocacher) confirmed its location.

So we climbed way back into the cave and explored a little. On the way out, I hid a micro with a log sheet inside it. I hope that's OK with the owner. I think it will survive longer that way. It is hidden in a crevice behind a rock, near where the original cache was.

(snip)

Anyway thanks for the cache and I hope the micro meets owner's approval. It has a funny title on the log sheet because I had planned to use it up in (location) with my neice, but that didn't work out.

Jamie

I attempted a cache to a remote summit with no trail. It is one of the hardest caches in New England. When I got to the summit, I found everthing but the cache. Someone had removed it. The owner changed my dnf to found, because the cache was not there. I like dnfs because I get to visit the cache more than once. But I did not argue this one.

So, don't always assume that people are cheating!!

I know we aren't supposed to accuse people of cheating, or pass judgement, but seriously... What are they thinking?

We aren't supposed to point out cheating? Is there a rule about this that I missed?

The best tool to prevent this kind of behavior is ridicule. Identifying cheaters is an integral part of that. I see it as an obligation.

I'm posting to illustrate the misleading effects of false smileys. This was the last find log entered on a cache 200 miles from my home, which I chose to visit while on vacation based on reviewing pocket query results:

Found the spot based on your picture. The coordinates were dead on. It seems you and [another nearby cache from the same hider] were both stolen as neither exists at this time. It is such a great spot. Thanks for the walk.

And here is my log, from 8 days later:

We spent a good 20 to 30 minutes searching for this cache, and then gave up because we were late for dinner. Reading the cache page now, I've looked at the spoiler picture and the cache was nowhere in that area. I was misled by the log entry left by the prior 'finders.' I use the 'Watcher' software to sort out recent not-found logs when deciding which caches to hunt for, but I don't read the log entries. We are logging a not-found on this cache because we did not find the cache and did not sign the logbook. We hope that this log will assist future seekers of this cache, and alert the owner to the need for a maintenance trip to this cache, or to temporarily disable or archive it.

The following day, a third geocacher posted this log. I do wish they had logged their prior DNF; again, this would have spared me a trip to hunt for a nonexistent cache.

Just read yesterdays's cacher's experience. This makes us feel better. We attempted to find the cache [previously] with no luck (it also was later in the evening for us! - thinking it would be fairly easy and time wouldn't be a problem). We went back again tonight.... Our GPS said we should have been right on. We really trampled that place down and it probably looks a little strange or obvious. Although, I can't see how anyone could randomly find it - if it's still there. We did see a baby bunny, tho.

The cache was archived a week later by the volunteer cache reviewer for that state. Granted, I could have read the cache page, but I prefer not to read the prior logs as they sometimes contain spoilers. I go by just the smileys and frownies that show up in "Watcher's" log summary column.

I attempted a cache to a remote summit with no trail. It is one of the hardest caches in New England. When I got to the summit, I found everthing but the cache. Someone had removed it. The owner changed my dnf to found, because the cache was not there. I like dnfs because I get to visit the cache more than once. But I did not argue this one.

So, don't always assume that people are cheating!!

How does the cache owner change your DNF to a Found?? Only you can, if he gave you permission, told you to change it and YOU changed it . I would not have changed my DNF to a found, Not found is Not found, I to go by the smiley's on the page and would be put off by Not found finds.

I don't understand these people. If you signed a logbook, you log a find. Right? No logbook, no find. I just spent an hour at "the right spot" trampling the woods trying to find the cache. I didn't. I wasn't happy about it either. But I wouldn't change the log to a find even if it did turn up to be missing later, because I DIDN'T FIND IT.

Then after posting that I didn't find it, the cache owner e-mailed me a better clue, and I'm looking forward to my next trip to that park.

• Upvote 1

I certainly understand why a person would log a find when they did not physically have the cache in hand. It depends on WHY a person goes caching. They may not really care or not if they found it if the reason they went in the first place was to get to a new interesting location. There are tons of cachers out there who are not hunting for a film canister or a logbook, but for the experience of getting there, or seeing what is at the location. They may not enjoy the challenge of retrieving a cache that is visible, but out of reach. They already got what they wanted out of their cache experience, and they are satisfied. THEY FOUND what they were looking for that day.

I logged a cache that I didnt find once, but went back and changed it because I knew people would whine about it. I was at the location, and I enjoyed the trip. There was no cache to be found tho...Did I deserve no credit? I got what I wanted to get out of the experience, so therefore I felt successful. Of course, people can get out of hand with this, but it's them... not you. Relax and leave the person alone, and let them enjoy the sport. Worry about your own stats.

On the other hand:

The best argument I have heard against logging inaccurate finds is that people may seek a cache that is not there! Thats enough reason for me. Inaccurate logging can end up screwing up someone elses day.

When all is said and done, just log it accurately..

can i have my 98 cents change now?

• Helpful 1
Recently there were four bogus finds by the same cacher on the same day in my local area. In every instance the cacher was at ground zero but figured there was too much snow to actually find them. They posted spoiler picks instead. :D

One cache around here (micro) was buried under snow for about a month. I posted a note the first time when I didn't find it, and when I found it later it was too wet to sign the log. I posted a slight spoiler photo to prove I had been there but I had the cache IN MY HANDS. That's the important part.

Black and white, you found it or you didn't.

If I could see the cache but could not reach it, it's not a find.

If I can HOLD the cache but cannot open it for some reason I think that is a find, but you need to contact the owner to let them know why your name isn't in the log book, or send them a pic if you have a camera.

Joe Smith

Recently there were four bogus finds by the same cacher on the same day in my local area.  In every instance the cacher was at ground zero but figured there was too much snow to actually find them.  They posted spoiler picks instead.  :D

One cache around here (micro) was buried under snow for about a month. I posted a note the first time when I didn't find it, and when I found it later it was too wet to sign the log. I posted a slight spoiler photo to prove I had been there but I had the cache IN MY HANDS. That's the important part.

Black and white, you found it or you didn't.

If I could see the cache but could not reach it, it's not a find.

If I can HOLD the cache but cannot open it for some reason I think that is a find, but you need to contact the owner to let them know why your name isn't in the log book, or send them a pic if you have a camera.

Joe Smith

I'm not sure I totally agree with that last part. There was a cache not to far from here where finding the box was the easy part. Deriving the combination to the lock involved running all over town getting clues from several other caches.