Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Hello all....my name is Cindy and I live in Alabama...my beau and I a fairly new to GeoCaching and love it it. I use the boards to find out things like what the "rules" are...how to use my palm...how to upload images...and to see what other geocachers chat about...so this is my way of saying "hey ya'll...thanks for the info!"

:lol:

We are the LaLonde Family - Thom and Anne with son Corey. We have been using a GPS for quite some time but just discovered geocaching. Went out today twice to find the Bancroft Lake Cache but believe it to be buried in snow. Will look again next weekend when our daughter Shelby is visiting so we can introduce her to the fun.

I just found out about Geocaching last week and found my first two caches today. I've been using GPS for years, mostly for hiking and work. It looks like a great activity for my son and I to spend some time together. We are looking forward to finding some more next weekend.

Hi,

I am a lurker as I am new to "Geocaching" it has been great fun for me so far. I have not seen any "hostile" posts yet... maybe I am not looking. This is a hobby, we should all be "happy"! :blink::D

swiftknollfarm

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :D

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

I would like to be a lurker, but I hardly know how or where to lurk. I am an old man and have opinions on almost anything whether associated with geocaching or not. For awhile I was bemoaning the loss of virtuals and the inanity of Waymarking, but I have decided to just "go with the flow" and geocache for the personal enjoyment of conversing with nature.

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am just checking to see if this works. :) I am Country Girl

from Oregon. I started caching in Nov 2005. I am having a great time with this sport and am out every chance I get. I love it and am teaching my friends how to use the GPS.

I am just checking this out and will talk to ya'll later,

Country Girl

hi! I guess i'm not really a lurker being that this is the first time i have looked in the forums but i did want to introduce myself. My name is Jason and I'm from the beautiful mountains of western north carolina. I've been into the outdoors all my life and have always loved to hike. I heard a co-worker talk about "little boxes in the woods you can only find by GPS". Later I found out he was talking about Geocaching! I've been searching for a couple of months now and I love it. I've even got my not so hardcore about nature friends into it too. Anyway just wanted to say hi.

Hi! My name is Alex and I currently live in a very rural area of South Carolina. It's not so small, it's just surrounded by woods and various lakes and creeks. Perfect for Geocaching! I've been doing this for about a month now and have have no intention of stopping soon. I loved the outdoors as a small boy, and I'm glad to have found a hobby that puts me right back in that enviroment.

I have to admit I lurk alot. I dig through the posts that have info that I am looking for then go on my way. My husband and I have been involved in GC about 8 mo. and regularly go out caching every week. There are so many other activities we are involved in that I don't take time to read through the discussions that tend to get out of control. So I lurk--in and out--only to find pertinent info.

KK I am new to this and it is lot's of fun.....to post or not to post ...is that the question? how to I find out where and when all these hot geo cache parties are ? Is their a party co-ordinator? Is there a calender of geo partays? And how many posts are required to get a dadgum invite? Does anyone else here find geo-caching sexually provocative ? Just curious. Anyhow my name is Shadow1955 and this is a great new hobby ...thanx to all that play.

Hi, We're Courtney and Dan, and yes, I have been lurking. Mostly cos there is alot of info here and was trying to read alot of it. We're rather new to Geocaching... found our first one January 28 this year quite by accident. We weren't sure what we had found till we read the welcome letter inside... (Happiest Dog Cache Ever located in Autry Mill, Atlanta, GA) Immediately was addicted to Geocaching, bought a Garmin GPS unit a couple weeks later, and thus far have found 21 Caches. We currently have 2 ammo cans we are preparing to hide and 2 travel bugs to activate and realease on their adventure. Planning to attend CITO on the 22nd, Roast and Toast on the 29th, and our first GGA meeting on May 13, the day after my birthday:P Wheeeeeeeeeeee.... Love this adventure. Dan doen'st really read much on here yet, but is getting a little more into it.

same same...lurka lurka lurka,

Very new to the forum, activities etc. Hate politics and just wishes we could all get along, after all one of my most favorite saying go like this,"everyone is entitled to my opinion."

Now I shall fade off into this Northern Sunset and say Derka Derka Derka. :D

:) Just got into geocaching in March 06, have enjoyed ever since. Weekends are a good time for me. I am learning alot about caching just by going to these forums and reading all I can. I bought my husband the GPS last year for X-Mas, he used it for fishing and some traveling. When I got my hands on it he was

flabbergasted! I can work the thing better than him. Now I call it MINE. Thanks for letting me come on to the forum site. :)

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :(

We logon to the Forum to learn about geocaching and in some cases to really get a "belly Laugh"...I love it <_< The forum has been very helpful for us to learn about geocaching in a shorter period of time...at times, just reading about subjects that we were going to post...some one else beat us to it :huh: So sometimes we "lurk" sometimes we participate...I would not want to do without the geocaching discussion forums :( Thanks

I love geocaching and I just wanted to say hello to everyone.

I don't post much either. People on the local sight seem downright hostile to people who don't play the game their *particular* way. It's "my way or the highway". That's my personal observation though and I could be wrong.

I've seen the "micros vs. regulars" debate and the "lame caches vs. so-called "real" caches" debate. I've seen the "I place *quality* cache items vs. the "good lord another cache with mcCrap" debate. Recently, I've seen the debate over whether or not people can log a particular cache to use it as a requirement of an "offsite" game. Personally, (and this is my own opinion..take it or leave it) I think some of these people need to grow up.

I got into the game because I love to see places that I've never been before...period. I really don't care about what I *get* from the cache or what I see in it. Most of the time I don't even take anything from it...I leave something that *everyone*likes..and that's money. I sign the log and I feel good because I accomplished a goal that I set for myself that day. Whether it's a micro, a puzzle cache, a regular cache, a multi, an "urban cache" or a "woodland cache"...I love them all.

I'm a LURKER, just basically because I'm anti-social <_< . I don't go to the forums often (because frankly I haven't found much useful information here). I don't like to argue because geocaching is my hobby, and it's pointless to argue about hobbies. I will now return to being silent.

This combines a few hobbies of mine. I enjoy spending a lot of time in the outdoors. I am a Camp Director and volunteer with the Boy Scouts. We've done some orienteering, but the terrain in South Texas does not allow for much exciting orienteering events. When the contour lines are two feet apart on the map, it's tough to teach. <_< This seems to work much better. I had my Venturing Crew out this weekend after I pre-searched and found a couple. They enjoyed the hunt and will probably be doing some more.

After getting some more experience, I can't wait to go back to a DNFs and see what I missed the first time.

I don't consider myself a lurker, but I'm brand new to the geocaching "sport". I'd like to call it more of a hobby than a sport though.

I found out about geocaching from a little-known Canadian show (at least here in America) called Patrolling. I had downloaded a few episodes from their web site and saw the episode where the host brought a cache home and opened it on the show. The purpose was to perform maintenance on it since some of the items were wet. It piqued my interest and before I knew it I was visiting the web site and looking for a GPS unit for myself. The rest is history.

It's been a couple of months and I've already been to numerous caches, taken and left a TB (not mine) and adopted a local cache that was neglected by its owner(s). I'm off to a good start and hope to place some caches of my own soon.

There are plenty of caches in my area to enjoy and I'm having a great time. I've met some really nice people via the web site as well.

I wonder if the "lurkers" that may (or May not) be reading these posts are lurking in real life. I mean, I know many people including myself who don't always engage in conversations (around the water cooler or whereever else).

As far as I am concerned, if you don't have anything to say, you need say nothing.

I DOES bother me though when those who stay quiet during a decision making conversation, start to complain when the decision has been implemented.

Yes, I have posted topics that have been razed, chicken stripped, admonished, and even beaten to death. It doesn't bother me, as those who are so close minded that they have to complain about everything ... well... can just go take a long jog on a short pier.

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum, as far a posting goes. I've been geocaching for about a year now, but have to rely on public transportation, walking and bicycling for the moment. If my docs let me drive this year, I expect my caching will increase quite a bit.

Someone mentioned that geocaching is more of a hobby than a sport.... I kind of disagree. Especially when you have to walk to some of these places. Perhaps if you can drive right up to the cache, that takes some of the sport out of it, but when the cache is hidden a mile or more away from the parking spot, or when you do them on bicycle, it becomes a good form of exercise as well.

Then again, there are caches hidden in places that require a good bit of climbing, scrambling, etc. that too seems a bit like sport. Maybe it has aspects of both sport and hobby.

Well. I'm hoping for at least my 40th today. I hope to break 100 this summer, and if I can drive, I may surpass that as well.

So that's me.

--Deirdre

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :)

Hi I'm lst2ltdwn, Iv'e got a question ? How do you put a picture in the description of you cache location

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :laughing:

Hi I'm lst2ltdwn, Iv'e got a question ? How do you put a picture in the description of you cache location

Do you mean in your own cache, or a cache that you have found belonging to someone else?

Hello. Newbie in Tucson here.

I would like to meet other geocachers to help me learn about this. For example, I just got a gps and don't know how to put in an end-point location. And, is there a Tucson specific group? Lunches? I would be up for that! Please give me a few minutes. I have a lot of questions.

I'm a part-time teacher at PCC (geography) and I mainly work with my hands (building remodeling). I live in the University area. I'm almost 60 years old. I was born and raised on the desert and enjoy going walking on the west side of the Tucson Mountains. Politically I am a progressive liberal.

I'll buy lunch!

Thank you very much.

Jake

tucson_heat@yahoo.com

520-808-1665

Hey all, I'm brand new to all of this. I should be receiving my first gps receiver in the mail tomorrow. Despite Garmin's popularity, I'll be striking out on my own with a Magellan 210. I'm having a little bit of buyer's remorse for not going with the 400, but if I enjoy geocaching, and finances allow, I may do that later. I live in Columbia Missouri, which has a wide variety of terrain, from hills to rocky cliffs. There about 3 caches within a mile of my house, but I won't attempt to find them without the gps device.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. <_<

Hello,

I am most definately a lurker. :blink:

Only because all of the questions I would have asked..... I have found the answers to by searching through the forums...... :anibad:

Some of the other forums I use for various subjects are littered with posts from lots of people all asking the same questions...... they obviously cant be bothered searching/reading.. It annoys me :lol: So I make sure I do some research....

I've introduced myself to the world of cache huntin' ..... bought my gps & pda based on what other punters have said on these forums. Also learned how to go about using various software.... and various other tips/hints - all through reading other people posts.....

Maybe once I become more of a cachin' expert - I will post more as I will be able to give better advice to other.....

Cheers & Hello World

Garry

The Monkey Has Went Mad.......

www.jedimonkey.co.uk

I just found this site a couple weeks ago while looking for 60csx info and this site was much more helpful than Garmin's... I never knew geocaching existed, and while I haven't sought out a cache yet I HAVE used the coordinates to find some nice hiking/camping spots in my area that I never knew about. I tour on my bicycle alot (3-5 months of the year), free-camping as much as possible, and plan on using gc.com as a resource in finding good places to pop up my tent for the night. Is there a camping-cache database that I dont know about? If not, I think it'd be a great idea...

I was looking around and discovered that all these years I had been spelling it wrong. I'm suprised I didn't get a -2 sp on any of my papers for that in school.

Now, you might see me lurking in cemeteries, or that's what it might appear to be. Actually I'm just doing research. Same as here.

First post and first day on the forums.

I have been interested in geocaching for a few years now, but only recently received a GPS from a friend. I found a couple of caches with friends a year or two ago and have now found two in the last month (now that I have a GPS of my own!)

I went out last night and found a cache very close to my home. I took a couple of friends with me and even took video. You can see the video on my site, http://animeghost.net (Spoiler for the cache, so watch out.)

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :(

Hello,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. My name's John Williams and though I have a great deal of experience with good old fashioned land nav with both map and compass and GPS (military experience), I am just beginning to discover the joys of geocaching. This is a great site, and I look forward to taking it all in.

John

Howdy All,

I'm a newbie from Vallejo, Ca. (San Francisco Bay Area). Been lurking for a couple of weeks trying to learn more.

My first GPSr just arrived in the mail last Friday, still trying to learn what all it can do (lots and lots it seems!). Have also been reading "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching".

Once I became a member and searched for caches near my home location, I found one only 120 feet away :( ! I can actually see the cache site from my kitchen window.

I have yet to claim it as my first, but it will be!

I think I'm gonna love this!

Sign me off as:

DriverCarriesCache

(Michael Jobes)