Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. <_<

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Can't call myself a lurker, as this is my first visit. I certainly intend to return though. I may lurk a while, as I am new to this craziness, as my wife calls it!

Well fine then, I will. Having heard of caching several times in the past, I always said "well, that sounds like fun, it's a shame I'm a relatively poor person, and I can't afford a GPS unit." And that was that. Well, I found myself with a phone with gps, and one of my mom's friend's has gotten into caching, and told me I need to start. Motorola i760 isn't the best phone or gps in the world, but it's found me one cache so far and hopefully a few more once I get some free time. And maybe one day I'll even get myself a real gps. But that's up for debate...

Anywho, I figure anything that gets me outside more often is fine by me.

I mostly lurk nowadays. Regardless of the original topic, most threads turn into whine and gripe fests. Also, I no longer open threads after 50 posts because by then, surely everything of merit has already been covered. By the way, this thread was at 48 posts when I opened it - barely made it!

I'm so new at this I havnt had a chance to post alot or to lurke alot but I did manage to find my first cache, and I'm loven it. Ive been detectin for a long time and also a member of a treasure hunting club, but now I think I have found a new hobby. Soo now back too what you all been talking about. I hope I did this right but if I screwed it up O well. I post a few and will post more in time but if I make a mess or step on anyones toes or just touch you the wrong way O well, all I got to say is GET OVER IT and go out and find another cache.

gatorman1

Edited by Gatorman1

Yes, I LURK! I find it best to sit back and watch everyone else blow up at each other for once. I read up on topics that I may have questions on, and most of the time I find my answer after wading through the B*** S***. This forum is alot differant from others that I do post in though, It seems when you get a group of High-Tech junkies mixed with outdoor junkies and several other catagories of GeoCachers S*** will hit the fan. I have read some posts here that are completely out of line. Maybe thats why I just sit back and stay in the shadows..... Thats just my reason for "low" posts.

Am I a "lurker?" Maybe, kinda-sorta... Most of the time I post to my local forum, the fairly civilized Maryland Geocaching Society. The "big board" seems a little daunting at times with people bickering about the silliest things! So, I would poke my head in the door from time to time but then run back to the familiarity of my mid-Atlantic friends.

A couple weeks ago, for whatever reason, the Maryland boards were pretty quiet so I decided to check out the deep end of the pool. It's alright over here! I won't "flame" anyone and hope no one flames me - I like to keep things fun and light-hearted.

I'm not a big numbers guy, having only found about 200 caches in three years. But I enjoy the time either alone -OR- with my kids on the hunt. See ya on the trail!

Hello to all, I found this site by pure luck. I was doing some researching for our Boy Scout troop. I was given a Garmin eTrex by my best friend and was just blown away with what it could do. Now this adds to the fun of having a GPS.

This will work out great for the Scout Troop, falls right in with orienteering. My first cache find is not to far from the Scouts meeting place and will be a good exercise for them.

I'm new to these forums, so for now I just want to see what everyone is talking about before I jump in with my 2 cents worth. I am very active on the two local forums. We do not have bickering, etc. The forums are closely monitored since they are a lot smaller. And then again most of us locally have met. I'm from SW Ohio and every cacher I have met has been very nice.

Hi, I'm Jim. I'm new to geocaching... so new in fact that I don't even have a GPS yet. My one year old found a microcache while we were out on a walk and was kicking it around. I opened it to find out what it was, and when I saw the logbook I remembered hearing about geocaching a few years ago. So stumbling upon a cache by accident is what got me involved. Can't WAIT to get my GPS! :laughing:

Hello!

I'm not really sure what being a lurker means (or any other terms here).

Im new at Geocaching and i just started an account but so far the forum topics are really interesting.

"Lurker" is message board talk for someone who comes here to read stuff but doesn't participate in the discussions. Nothing wrong with lurking at all. :laughing:

I am a lurker, by my post to find + hide count and will admit that I look at these forums every day for the enjoyment of geocaching. The only thing is I only post when I am upset with a topic or really happy with it, other than that I sit back and watch and wish I could control myself better with the angry post and will try to do better my warn meter is high enough……………………..JOE

lurking because i don't know how to get into theconversation Edited by stinkyju

I've been lurking on and off for, oh, since, well, heck, a long time ago....heheheh. I say that because even though I'm a charter member of this "club", I do tend to stray away for long periods of time and then come back all of a sudden....hehehehe. Still a premium member without a break from the time they were first offered, and proud of it.

After the first of the year (2007) I plan to get back into Geocaching again actively, new GPS and everything!! Just have to wait and see how it goes. Definitely have to do some major maintenance on some of my caches...LOL.

Mac

Hola de Tenerife, I live on the island since a couple of years(being a German), stumbled accidentially over Geocaching one and a half years ago, was just lurking for the first year (once or twice a month).

Lately with some question coming up, I started to be bit more active here. However I am not the person to actively participate in each thread.

From looking at some of the forum threads, it seems to me, that people from North America are much more active on the forum than people from the rest of the world. Why may this be like that?

I've been lurking on and off for, oh, since, well, heck, a long time ago....heheheh. I say that because even though I'm a charter member of this "club", I do tend to stray away for long periods of time and then come back all of a sudden....hehehehe. Still a premium member without a break from the time they were first offered, and proud of it.

After the first of the year (2007) I plan to get back into Geocaching again actively, new GPS and everything!! Just have to wait and see how it goes. Definitely have to do some major maintenance on some of my caches...LOL.

Mac

Sobadora coming out from the shadows. I'm new to the game and am learning alot here on the forums. I just became a member and will soon upgrade to premium. Have been using husbands GPS but hope Santa brings be one of my on.

peace/out

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :D

We're brand new at this. Just purchased the eXplorist 500 yesterday. Doing a lot of reading but totally lost and must do much more. Have noticed hostile/stupid replies to newbies so probably won't be asking my "dumb questions". I'll keep reading and hope to find the answers. On the other hand if anyone is located on Southern Vancouver Island, Cowichan Valley area, would sure like some hands on lessons.

tenulp

Duncan, BC

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. <_<

We're brand new at this. Just purchased the eXplorist 500 yesterday. Doing a lot of reading but totally lost and must do much more. Have noticed hostile/stupid replies to newbies so probably won't be asking my "dumb questions". I'll keep reading and hope to find the answers. On the other hand if anyone is located on Southern Vancouver Island, Cowichan Valley area, would sure like some hands on lessons.

tenulp

Duncan, BC

Hi im Fred, from Sweden, yes you are all quite right about how it is out there, geting scared like to ask anything. Becaming the loughing stock.

Hi I'm new here. I got into geocaching by my brother-in-law while visiting him and my sister in southeastern Georgia. I love it and just got my first gps for christmas. I was amazed by how many geocaches there were in my area. I am 1for1 found one and one not found :anitongue: Haven't really lurked in the forums since I just found them but I will now :anitongue: .

Shack1

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. ;)

It is with deep sadness that I announce movinslow lost his battle with cancer. He left us on December 6, 2006. I'm Sunshine and I will be keeping our caches taken care of as best as I can. Please post details when you log a find so if one of them needs maintenance I'll know it.

Hi, I am the wife in the Flukefamily caching family. My hubby bought me a GPS for X-Mas just so I could start doing the Geocaching thing when someone from work first introduced me to it.

I find myself to be a lurker unless my comments are otherwise needed. I try to refrain from jumping in on the drama that boards can tend to stir about. I find it is easier sometimes to just not say anything at all or I will have to automatically stick my foot in the mouth.

Anyways, I will be here watching and if something interesting happens or if I feel the need to speak, then I will pipe up something..

So far my family and I have enjoyed this and hope to continue doing it. There are 3 of us in the Flukefamily (named after our dog) :laughing: We currently live in VA and have noticed there are a ton of caches around for us to get. We have gotten 6 so far and would love to get more.. Already starting to plan our summer vaca to WI and trying to get a cache in ever state. Well that is all about our family and I hope everyone has a wonderful year..

Flukefamily, VA

It is with deep sadness that I announce movinslow lost his battle with cancer. He left us on December 6, 2006. I'm Sunshine and I will be keeping our caches taken care of as best as I can. Please post details when you log a find so if one of them needs maintenance I'll know it.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.. Our prayers are with you.. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Flukefamily, VA

I am new to the whole geocaching craze which prevents me from posting much at all. On top of that I would have to say I am simply a professional lurker. I would prefer to sit back and read the posts of others and learn from them. Only when I feel I must say something(even if I really shouldnt have) do I tend to post on any forum I am in.

Hello all. I have made a few posts as of this one. I am "lurking" aka "learning" :rolleyes:

My name is Tom and heard about Geocaching early last year but didn't know what the hype was all about, never bother to look it up either.

Well I received a Garmin 60 CSx for Christmas for fishing. I decided to revisit geocaching and see what it was all about. Of course my wife thought I was rediculous. Let me tell you, after finding my first cache....I am hooked.

Now back to "learning" from the forum posts.

Tom

Sunshine, I too am sorry for your loss.

To my new friends, hello! I have had my GPS for 8 days and I just got back from my 22nd find. Wow, this is so much fun. I don’t know what I will do once I clear out my local area. I need more daylight! As it stands, I have already been doing a lot of this by flash light. For me, this is family time at its best! For those in VA, you will recognize me by my load: I carry a 4-month old in a chest carrier and an 18th-month old in a back pack. My wife and 4-year old are always close by to give me a push or to do the low searching. I don’t think I will be considered a lurker – this is simply to exciting to keep to myself! Cheers,

CMSoliday

:laughing: WELL- Ive been registered for about 2 mo. and posted my 1st Groundspeak post tonight, and it was on the community geocoin :laughing: (figures-eh)

I got drove away from posting on a Biodiesel Forum, and feel like the info. is out there and I just gotta find it, more times than not, I am unsuccessful and dont post anyway.

Also, does any one read this many pages back into the threads?-can you respond to this question if you have read this (or would this be a clutter on this thread)- this might be interesting.

One of the questions that I would like to ask is the history behind Mtn-Mans Admin Brick or where to find it, Ive got my own little history on it, but Im not sure what the background is. Is This a NEWBIE question that I would get slammed for asking? --Thanks-007BIGD :ph34r::unsure:

OK, I might as well jump in here. Amazing -- a thread that is 3 years old!

I lurk through the RSS feed.

Love to hike/bushwhack, and tried geocaching as a added side activity to my adventures. I am not into the numbers game (obviously, with only 8 finds) and eschew the easy grab-&-go caches or those in high-traffic areas (love my solitude in communing with Mother Nature).

I like caches that take me to historic places and have some difficulty of terrain. Mileage is no object. I see through lurking that virtual caches are a thing of the past. :D Such a shame since I have been to some interesting ones in Shenandoah National Park (federal land where traditional geocaches are a no-no, but so many other great things to see and find).

Of course, a treasure hunt is always fun, but I do like a challenging quest. B)