To be first

Criminal

Does the desire to be first to log in at a new cache affect anyone else? I recently hunted a cache at night in a HUGE park that was closed. No flashlight (until in the woods close to the cache) and hiding when a car approaced. When I saw the cache pop up on the website, I knew it was going to be found while I was at work the next day. I know I'm not (too) sick, has anyone else gone to extreme measures to get there first?

Lately, when I hide one, I don't enter it until Friday night, a little on the late side. I know most of us want a FTF, and I think this gives more people a fair shot at it.

I must confess to dashing out at night to get a FTF. Last time I was up on a hill when more cachers showed up[:0]

"I can't find the longitude for the North Pole"

You went out at night? In the cold? In a closed park? Just to be first. What is the big deal about being first? Not sure but it affects me also. I have went out on Christams Eve, 11:00 at night, in the snow, 15 miles from home to be first. But it comes in spurts. Some times I can just let them go and the next thing, I have to try and get them all before anyone else.

And I like that Friday night posting thing. Do you think we could get Jermey to hold ALL new caches until Friday night? Say, midnight?

Can you just picture the mad scramble at that time.

Thousands of people sitting around in their caching gear downloading caches as fast as they can.

Teams of people scattered around the city waiting on the cell phone, waiting on a call from base :

"Team Blue Zebra One Delta, Proceed to

N44:02.295 X E121:02.456, your looking for an ammo can under a bush. Rating 2 X 3. Travel Bug included. That is all. Base out"

Later, logscaler.

Originally posted by Criminal:

Does the desire to be first to log in at a new cache affect anyone else? /QUOTE]

Not only that, but it has to be 75 deg with low humidity, no nasty bugs or heavy vegetation, on a sunny weekend. In the northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin area this only occurs during a two hour period in May. This is reflected in my 'logged cache' total.

quote:
And I like that Friday night posting thing. Do you think we could get Jermey to hold ALL new caches until Friday night? Say, midnight?

Can you just picture the mad scramble at that time.

Thousands of people sitting around in their caching gear downloading caches as fast as they can.

Teams of people scattered around the city waiting on the cell phone, waiting on a call from base

It would be like the people sleeping in their cars to get tee times at Bethpage's Black Course on Long Island. Golf is my other addiction, and costs a lot more than geocaching!

Be careful what you wish for!

Here in Lexington, KY we have about 5 of us that all compete for the FTF. We call it a "woo Hoo" in refernce to Paddy Yenar who has about as many FTF in KY as anyone.

IN CNY, where my mom (MaMa Bear) caches, she and others put really nice prizes in for the FTF which make it even worse. She likes to use TBs, Canadian Geocoins, and WG $$ for FTF prizes.

GG

~ The Li'l Bears icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif from Lexington, KY

I've lots count of how many FTF's I've gotten...it definitely adds to the adventure because you're at the mercy of possibly bad coordinates, hiding mistakes, etc...I have my share of stories about those situations. icon_smile.gif

It's not as big a deal as it used to be for me. Part of it was that there used to be 2 or 3 other very active cacher in the area and it was fun because we'd all be out after the new ones and it was a friendly competition. A lot of the old timers seem to be inactive now and it's not as much fun. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

SNIP

Part of it was that there used to be 2 or 3 other very active cacher in the area and it was fun because we'd all be out after the new ones and it was a friendly competition. A lot of the old timers seem to be inactive now and it's not as much fun. icon_frown.gif

I think that hits it on the head. I've been doing this for awhile so it's not the newness of the cache, it's more knowing that some of the other local cachers are grumbling when they see your handle down in the #1 log. Then, just in case they haven't seen the new cache on the website, you send them a "hahahahahaha" email to point it out. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

... it's more knowing that some of the other local cachers are grumbling when they see your handle down in the #1 log. Then, just in case they haven't seen the new cache on the website, you send them a "hahahahahaha" email to point it out. icon_biggrin.gif

You know, the things your wrote in your profile are making more and more sense to me ... icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:

... it's more knowing that some of the other local cachers are grumbling when they see your handle down in the #1 log. Then, just in case they haven't seen the new cache on the website, you send them a "hahahahahaha" email to point it out. icon_biggrin.gif

You know, the things your wrote in your profile are making more and more sense to me ... icon_wink.gif

Huh?

This current avatar was taken in the pouring rain on a day I rushed out as soon as I could to hit three new caches in a park that I also wanted to be the first placer in, but missed out on it. I wasn't first finder, but the first finder left behind the $20 first finder prize so I took it as a consolation prize and the second one had the wrong coordinates, and has been temp. disabled until fixed. The third one I did with Ttepee much later. The I saw one come up father north and rushed up there, ran past a family on the trail thinking they were headed to the same place (they were not) and got the FTF. I smiled all the way back to the car. It was a good feeling to be first and I made the hike alone. Geocaching has gotten me out hiking alone which is something I NEVER did. Does it get to me, yeah, it does. I was pretty frustrated being too late on that one in the rain. but it only gets me if i'm trying to be first finder. Another one I tried, I was not the first, the coords were off and several of us tried, and then when the right ones were posted someone beat me to it and it snowed, which slows things down. So the risk of wrong coordinates is a real one, if you are first.

Cache you later,

Planet

Afraid of heights? Not me, I'm afraid of widths!

[This message was edited by Planet on December 10, 2002 at 10:36 AM.]

I've had a few FTFs, and the best ones are when you beat the "Primo" cacher in your area.

In a closed park after dark?

(insert mother's voice)

You coulda been hurt!

(scold)Now granted, I'm no angel. I've done my share of bushwhacking and tresspassing...even before I was a geocacher....but I'd rather be waiting at the park gate at opening time rather than go into a closed park. I don't have the $$$ to bail myself out of jail, not to mention the effect that it could have on the hobby! (/scold)

but my usual FTF note is a big, fat "I BEAT !"

quote:
Originally posted by targetdrone:

Lately, when I hide one, I don't enter it until Friday night, a little on the late side. I know most of us want a FTF, and I think this gives more people a fair shot at it.

Except for those who work on weekends! This was a hot topic with a cache I participated in where the object was to be the first to find it and then rehide it within 24 hours. It was hidden 16 times during the course of the game. I got 5 finds among 7 or so competitors.

Some people wanted to hide it at predictable times so people could plan ahead, while others tried to mix it up. It definitely got strange having to check frequently but that added to the suspense. Several times I missed the posting by 10-20 minutes and was the 3rd or 4th person there! Other times I was on top of it but the cache was hidden on the other side of town and I knew other people had the advantage... if they were watching. And then there were the times I was first on the scene but there was something wrong with the hide. At least I got to meet other geocachers which is kinda rare in Central Oregon. When the game ended, it took a while for me to get back to normal cache speed where I could enjoy the hunt.

Criminal wrote:

quote:
...it's more knowing that some of the other local cachers are grumbling when they see your handle down in the #1 log. Then, just in case they haven't seen the new cache on the website, you send them a "hahahahahaha" email to point it out.

Dear Criminal:

GCB206. Hahahahahaha.

Love,

TravisL

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

There have been a few times we thought that we were the first ones there... and as we get there we bump into the local "First Cache cacher" at the same time. I know being the first one at a cache has it's pirks.. No trampled earth leading right to the cache, etc...

Fish

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

quote:
Originally posted by Fish:

I know being the first one at a cache has it's pirks.. No trampled earth leading right to the cache, etc...

Sort of in agreement but also to the contrary, being first to a cache means one can spot any evidence/trail left by the cache owner before it is destroyed by cachers stomping around checking wrong locations.

well, i don't have any ftf's yet, but i think the bug is biting me, too....i seriously considered a 300 mile drive to be the first to find a new cache that was placed in my favorite vacation town.....

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

quote:

Does the desire to be first to log in at a new cache affect anyone else? I recently hunted a http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=45330 at night in a HUGE park that was closed. No flashlight (until in the woods close to the cache) and hiding when a car approaced. When I saw the cache pop up on the website, I knew it was going to be found while I was at work the next day. I know I'm not (too) sick, has anyone else gone to extreme measures to get there first?

Hey, if that's the case, I have a great first find for ya! I put it out there in August 2002 and there is still no log on it. It is a virtual, but only because the particular park it is in won't let us put a real cache out there yet, but we're still in talks about getting one put there.

Regardless, it's there... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=34004

Go for it!!! LOL.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

We were first at one. We just happened into as we just got into the hobby a month ago. I have to admit that it was pretty cool that we were first but we would not go out of our way. I kind of think we are "Country Cachers". We don't like the big lights of the big cities near us but like the hikes in parks for traditionals. Virtuals just do not do much for me but anyhow my answer would be yes first in the log is very cool but not so much as that I would race to one for it. icon_razz.gif

I like being the FTF especially when others have already been out looking for it and weren't able to find it.. That makes it more worth while when you are a FTF... I found one yesterday that actually had a note in it for me to claim as the FTF stating that I was the first to find of this cache.. It thought that was a great idea and that note or slip alone could solve a lot of problems when there is ever a dispute of who was actually the FTF.. I plan on making and putting a FTF note or certificate in every cache I make in the future..

That happened to me once. A new multi popped up, and I saw no one had found, so off I went to the starting point. Being GPSless and Car/bikeless at the time though, I had to walk about a half mile to the starting location, walk back to my house, enter the coords on Google Earth, then walk back to the same area. Turns out the cache was right across the street.

I ended being the third to find on that one.

We put a first finder certificate in each of our caches when they are placed. It seems to work as our caches are generally found within a day. Of course, we haven't hidden one in the winter yet...<BR><BR>- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Suggestion-- <_< ammo can, painted gloss white, hidden on the ice piles just off shore on Lake Michigan. In the springtime, difficulty and terrain go to a 5. :P

One of the original cachers in San Diego, named Yrium, died of cancer at the young age of 44 two years ago. While Yrium was here he made geocacher cards. They were basically just like baseball cards but were made with local geocachers. They were very cool and very popular. After Yrium passed away Flagman decided to start making the cards again. The way it worked is that you had to find a "U-Designit" TB in order to earn the privilege of picking the next geocacher to have a card made for. After the card was made Flagman would rehide the U-Designit card in another cache. But then Flagman added another twist to it. He would use his cell and post the location of the new TB and then hang out at the cache to see who got there first. He called it the "Amusing Race." Anyhow, the Amusing Race was a lot more fun than any FTF I've ever done. The one time I went for it, I saw the TB announcement and knew exactly where that cache was. So I hopped in my car and immediately headed out. The cache was located on top of a hill in a local park and I ran up the hill because I was nervous that I wouldn't get there first. Huffing and puffing my way up the hill, I saw the heads of three people and thought I had been beaten there. But when I got to the top I saw Flagman and the Splashes sitting in lawn chairs drinking beer. So I was there first!!! I couldn't believe it! Woo Hoo! I opened the cache and grabbed the U-Designit card and Flagman handed me a cold beer. That was very cool! About 5 minutes later Jess (John and Jess) showed up and 10 minutes after that Tuscon Thompsen showed up. It was fun to sit there and greet the other people that went for it too. It was like the Amazing Race but it was more amusing..... <_<

I typically cache between the hours of 11pm and 3am. I don't make it a point to be FTF, but if a cache pops up at midnight, then I go after it since I know I'll have a pretty good shot and finding it before the other cachers wake up the next day ya know. That's how I've gotten 2 of my 4 FTF's

I wanted so much to get an FTF in the beginning, then it happened! I've gotten my share, but after you get a few it kind of loses its appeal. I figure I got some, now I can let other people share in the excitement. There is one cacher in my area in particular, who has become obsessed with playing the numbers game and FTFs are no exception. This cacher will go to great lengths to make sure no one else can get and FTF. It's sad really. :anicute:

I wanted so much to get an FTF in the beginning, then it happened! I've gotten my share, but after you get a few it kind of loses its appeal. I figure I got some, now I can let other people share in the excitement. There is one cacher in my area in particular, who has become obsessed with playing the numbers game and FTFs are no exception. This cacher will go to great lengths to make sure no one else can get and FTF. It's sad really. :anicute:

Maybe he is like me and others who likes to find a cache that has not been found by others so there is no call a friend or geo trails to follow to the cache location. Maybe he isn't, but that's why I like it. It's all about the fun anyways. :anibad:

Does the desire to be first to log in at a new cache affect anyone else? I recently hunted a cache at night in a HUGE park that was closed. No flashlight (until in the woods close to the cache) and hiding when a car approaced. When I saw the cache pop up on the website, I knew it was going to be found while I was at work the next day. I know I'm not (too) sick, has anyone else gone to extreme measures to get there first?

I go for the FTF whenever I can. I don't go into CLOSED parks for it though. I don't trespass. I've been questioned by the law 4 times while caching and I make it a point not to be breaking the law. I missed one FTF I could have had when I got to the gate and realized it was in an area that's closed at night. Another cacher went after it anyway and got the FTF. He can have it. I have 144 FTF so far out of 1182 finds. That's a respectable 12%. I can live without the ones I'd have to tresspass to get.

i actually got a FTF without realizing it. I was looking at where the cache i was looking for on the Google maps, since i still don't have a GPS yet and i've been caching for more than a year, and i noticed that there was a cache (GC11P4E) right across the street. We do have a couple FTF hogs here in PA near Pittsburgh, so i was surprised to find out that i was the first one there. granted, it was a guardrail cache, but out of 43 finds that i have so far (yes i know, i should have more, just don't have enough time), that is my only FTF so far. as for the cache i was actually looking at, a TB hotel, i didn't find that one till a few months later

Yeah it always surprises me when the FTF log comes in on one of my caches and the person has gone to great lengths to drive over a hundred miles, hike in a park that closes at sunset, and (in one example) tries to cross a river without a bridge - in the middle of the night! I've picked up a few FTF's and the first one was exciting. Second and third were whatever, and four was exciting becuase it was a very difficult multi. But running out in the middle of the night? I'd rather sleep :)

I can't believe this thread is now over five years old and only has 40+ responses. Where are all of the forums regulars? What about being FTF on an urban micro? Who among us can hardly wait for the next evil puzzle? How many of you plan your lunch hour/breaks/evenings around the thrill of that first hunt? What if that new ammo can is only a few miles up some snow covered trail in January? I need to feel the love and the buzz! :(

I can't believe this thread is now over five years old and only has 40+ responses. Where are all of the forums regulars? What about being FTF on an urban micro? Who among us can hardly wait for the next evil puzzle? How many of you plan your lunch hour/breaks/evenings around the thrill of that first hunt? What if that new ammo can is only a few miles up some snow covered trail in January? I need to feel the love and the buzz! :blink:

I with you on that too, I love the buzz! :D

I can't believe this thread is now over five years old and only has 40+ responses. Where are all of the forums regulars? What about being FTF on an urban micro? Who among us can hardly wait for the next evil puzzle? How many of you plan your lunch hour/breaks/evenings around the thrill of that first hunt? What if that new ammo can is only a few miles up some snow covered trail in January? I need to feel the love and the buzz! ;)

I with you on that too, I love the buzz! :D

The game was very very different five years ago. There was a lot more pride in one’s hides and finds and the numbers had meaning; even if they didn’t matter to you. There were also a lot fewer players and FTF rivalries were an added bonus to the game.

Being FTF on another meaningless, uninspired, and insipid cache isn’t going to be like it was.

unfortunately, i live at home right now, so explaining to parents that i'm leaving at midnight to go wander through the woods generally doesn't go over so well. luckily i'm heading back to school in just about 2 weeks, however, so i won't be questioned when i'm inevitably awake in the middle of the night, see that alert e-mail, and dash out the door. i think the bug will calm down once i've made a ftf, but i haven't yet.

and contrary to general consensus, i actually LIKE geotrails. they do take away some of the fun of the hunt, but they always make me smile - i like seeing that so many have gone here before me. makes me feel like a part of the geocaching community.