What's the big deal about FTF?

AneMae

I don't really get it. I know there is sometimes a special FTF prize in a cache, but some of the locals around here seem to go nuts about being FTF. Seems like when they get the notification of a new listing they drop what they are doing and race out to the cache to be the FTF.

Does it really matter who finds it first, or 50th for that matter? Isn't it about the broader experience, or is this some type of race? Personally I don't quite get the big deal about being the FTF. I would rather just enjoy finding the cache rather than worrying about who gets there before me.

I don't really get it. I know there is sometimes a special FTF prize in a cache, but some of the locals around here seem to go nuts about being FTF. Seems like when they get the notification of a new listing they drop what they are doing and race out to the cache to be the FTF.

Does it really matter who finds it first, or 50th for that matter? Isn't it about the broader experience, or is this some type of race? Personally I don't quite get the big deal about being the FTF. I would rather just enjoy finding the cache rather than worrying about who gets there before me.

In the great grand picture of things it doesn't matter but for some people the over all experience includes a competitive component and FTF is at its simplest form a competition. So if someone gets it who is competitive and they feel like they won then their caching experience has been enhanced.

Having been first to find and not I can honestly say I feel the same regardless of find order. But FTF is not a big thing where I am. It's not unusual for caches to sit for sometime without a FTF. I personally wouldn't rush out to get it but I'm not a big fan of beta testing caches either.

course, if you do not race out, you won't get FTF. I rarely make the mad dash, it seems to me every single light you miss is added stress. However, its a game of itself and as long as folks respect other FTF finders, I do not mind that side game. Prefer FTFs on puzzles where you know there will be less traffic for them.

Like others have said, its just another aspect some play the game. I don't go nuts about it, if one pops up near me and I can get it fairly quickly, I will make a half attempt. I certainly will not go out of my way.

The only issue I have with it is people who deliberatly FTF, sign the log and will not log on to log the cache for a day - when they know others will come out rushing to get it.

I like getting FTFs. I don't go crazy over them, but I do get the email notifications. I'll set my alarm a little earlier for the morning, or make it a point to go out of my way for a new cache. Of course, if I wake up and decide a few more hours of sleep is worth more than an FTF, I'll choose sleep! I did that one morning... Set my alarm for 7 or so, but chose to sleep in instead. Woke up at 11am, took my time getting to the cache site expecting there to already be a name or two in the book... But I was still FTF.

Do I make a big deal out of them? Nope. Would I get annoyed if I expected to be FTF and wasn't? Nope. Like I said, I'll make an effort, but I won't drop what I'm doing to make it.

I also use it as a starting point for other caches in an area.

Ahh...there's nothing like the crisp cool night air, the rain on your face, your pajamas getting hopelessly caked with mud (and you really should have stopped to put shoes on cuz these slippers are trashed now). But *woo-freakin-hoo* you beat everybody else to GZ. Now...if you can just find the thing.

Flashlight goes dead. slippers slide half off your feet, car drives by and you hold your breath...phew, it drives on by. "Maybe I should deploy the 'toxic waste spill' signage and caution tape to ward off other cachers??"

Try it some day! You might like it. Just don't wear slippers. (Sleep with your shoes on) :)

I doesn't matter to me. Let someone else make sure it's a good hide first.

I'd rather know that people enjoyed it before I waste time on a poor hide.

Not into the FTF thing either but I do appreciate FTFers for the above reason. FTFers are especially helpful when it comes to caches that have been listed but not planted yet, and caches where the coordinates are wrong or badly off the mark.

Does it really matter who finds it first, or 50th for that matter?

Being FTF constantly only shows others that you have an otherwise boring life. :P

Actually, making the 50th find (or any arbitrary number other than 1) would be MUCH more of a challenge. Being first only means that you have no life at all. Being 50th to find consitantly (or 10th, or whatever number)... now,.. THAT would be tough!!

Edited by knowschad

I don't play the FTF game, at least I haven't for the last five years, but I can understand why others do. This is my log from when I first started caching. This was in the woods in Anchorage in March. There was still a foot or two of snow on the ground.

Man what an adventure. I got my FTF though. Wolf went out by himself last night. I hit the 1st point at about 1800hrs. Then I rucked it double time to all the other points. I hit the last point at just after 1830hrs. I got the final cords and move off to the last point. At about 1900hrs, after the muggles moved on, I started my hunt. I spent an hour in the dark with my flashlight but couldn't find it.

I returned this morning. Man what a difference a little sunlight makes. Found it after a search of the area.

Great hide. Great Cache

:D Got my 1st FTF and had a blast doing it.

Now I love watching the other cachers go after my caches.

Edited by Totem Clan

Some people just like a competition.

I suppose this is true. I am not the oldest of the old, but "FTF" was recognized and sought after when I started in my area. There just wasn't very many people. I have noticed if you look at the logs for early 2002 and 2001 placed caches, the first log usually doesn't mention a thing about being first. So yeah, I've often thought about that, where did it come from, and how did it get to be so universal, world-wide, so quickly?

I actaully did it from about 2003-2005, then a bunch of new people came in, and it just got too competitive for me. So I guess I'm one of the people who just don't like a competition. Or at least a very highly competitive one, with in your face type antics. :P

And by the way, the FTF enthusiasts who have responded are not going to like this, but I am of the opinion their numbers are extremely small, yet very high profile, for those small numbers. All highly active Geocachers (not that many to start with) and all Premium members (you pretty much have to be with notifications, and most members are NOT premium). A look at the logs for any very popular, very easy cache that's been around a long time with a lot of visits in your area will give you an idea of how many local Geocachers there are. How many of them are FTF hounds? You can probably count them on one hand. :D

And by the way, the FTF enthusiasts who have responded are not going to like this, but I am of the opinion their numbers are extremely small, yet very high profile, for those small numbers.

I would describe myself as an enthusiast, but I don't know why I wouldn't like that analysis. It seems neither incorrect, nor insulting.

We didn't intend to be FTF monsters, but with me on night shift and CJ on a rotating schedule, one of us were simply out early enough to grab 'em FTF.

Way before notifications by phone, with CJ in IT (and by a computer), it just worked out that way.

Turns out a local FTF hound was getting frustrated by "those newbies" and let his feelings be known to others.

We'll, you know how that goes...

We got emails from the "others", saying this was the most fun they've had in a long time! :laughing:

- And the games began.

Had over two hundred FTFs, then realized it wasn't fun for us anymore.

I don't head out for many urban/small park hides anymore (where most FTF races this area are going on), preferring the longer hikes or higher terrain.

If I'm FTF on a hide like that I'm happy, but I went for the walk.

CJ will still hit a few, but now that the old fart got her interested in the "5" hides, she's starting to lose interest in 'em too.

For me (now), the FTF would mean finding the hide in the style/location the CO intended.

- At the D/T ratings I prefer, hopefully with good coordinates to it. :lol:

1. Why is competition surprising to you?

2. Out of the 86 caches you've done, how many have really been about the broader experience?

We don't rush out for a FTF but our first time was funny for us.

We are usually only able to go out caching one day a week, usually on the weekend. So a few weeks ago during the week I had mapped out our drive for the upcoming weekend. Bingo! :o The evening before we were to leave we seen a new cache... in the same area we'd already planned to visit.

We'd already planned to wake & leave early since we usually make a whole day of caching & the nearest for this trip was about 45 minute drive away. Closer to bedtime I double checked to see if it'd been found yet. Yes, someone had found it already. But, to my surprise there was another new cache listed... in a complete different direction as I'd previously mapped out. We decided we'd attempt that one. So I cleared the GPSr & quickly uploaded a new list. Yeh! We got there for our first (and only FTF).

The following weekend there was an event for planning the upcoming State Challenge. Since we are still new we decided to attend. While there we met the lady who had obtained the first FTF we had planned. We all had a great laugh :laughing: when I told her about us changing plans and traveling west instead of north.

We got two in our area that will litterly run over their mom on the highway to get a FTF//and the same two hasn't hid any caches since jan.2011,figure that one out..

I still run out for a number of FTF attempts each month, but I haven't hid any new caches since August 2010. I got to a point where I was only just able to keep up with the caches I already owned. I'm pretty sure putting more caches out at this point would just lead to poor maintenance on my part; I figured it would be better to maintain a smaller number of caches reasonably well, than a larger number of caches more poorly. YMMV.

The big deal of FTF is...

1.Maybe there might be a prize

2.A clean log sheet for you to sign your name in the FTF box or TOP line

3.Bragging rights.

4.You find the cache the way the owner intended the hide to be.

5.You can meet other cachers at the GZ.

6.Your phone pings when a new cache is published.

Other then that there's no big deal. :D

The big deal of FTF is...

1.Maybe there might be a prize

2.A clean log sheet for you to sign your name in the FTF box or TOP line

3.Bragging rights.

4.You find the cache the way the owner intended the hide to be.

5.You can meet other cachers at the GZ.

6.Your phone pings when a new cache is published.

Other then that there's no big deal. :D

You almost said it. A nice clean log sheet in this area is often described as a virgin log. Bragging rights to say I beat everyone to the virgin...log.

FTF is a drug. Think of it thata way and you'll get it. Some folks like it a lot. Some folks like it too much. Some enjoy the high when it happens and don't chase it as a general practice.

It's not my drug choice, but I like it when it happens. It is especially nice when it happens a great distance from home.

Edited by Snoogans

FTF is a drug. Think of it thata way and you'll get it. Some folks like it a lot. Some folks like it too much. Some enjoy the high when it happens and don't chase it as a general practice.

It's not my drug choice, but I like it when it happens. It is especially nice when it happens a great distance from home.

This is perhaps the perfect answer!

It appears to me that the only people that think FTF is a 'Big Deal' are those that say that they are not interested in a FTF.

I love a good FTF trip. Getting out there before GZ has been worn down by other cachers. No bushwacked caching trail. A virgin log book. Beta testing a puzzle, multi etc. Testing deduction skills without being able to read other logs. Maybe a new type of container or new type of hide/disguise. Maybe an unexplored trail with a particularly interesting view, place or site that you are the first to experience. A bit of banter and competition with fellow cachers that also enjoy the thrill of the first hunt. Sometimes meeting other cachers enjoying the above experiences and being first to record these experienes on the listing. My boys have actually been out in their pyjamas on one experience in the dark. We had a great laugh (but still werent FTF and it didnt matter).

So whats the Big Deal with people getting their knickers in a twist about cachers that enjoy trying for a FTF?

I'm not a FTF hound. Nope, no way. I can quit any time I want to.

Actually I'm trying to set a new record for the most FTF's done completely nude.

Kidding! I think. I'm considered a FTF hound by my local friends, although in real life it's usually just a convergence of some free time with a newly approved cache that's close enough to me. I've never put aside work or family obligations to go after a ftf. Never done the middle of the night thing, although have been tempted a few times. Quite a few of the FTF's I've racked up have been accidental - I didn't even know I was first until I got back to the computer to log it and discovered that no, it wasn't just a newly replaced log.

But I will admit to some vanity - I do have my FTF's listed on my profile page - when I crossed the 100 number of them it seemed like a cool thing. Although I've quite often come across the profile pages of the real FTF hounds, with numbers vastly higher than mine.

To the OP - why? Because I can! I've been doing this for 10 years now - having some variety in the way you hunt caches are what keeps this fresh.

It appears to me that the only people that think FTF is a 'Big Deal' are those that say that they are not interested in a FTF.

That doesn't make any sense. If you don't care about something how can it be a big deal to you?

Because they are so blatantly, obviously and publicly "not caring about it"

What I find more fascinating than the attitudes of the FTF hounds are the attitudes of those that can't understand why it's a big deal but keep commenting on or blasting the practice. You'll generally find that those that AREN'T FTF hounds but keep commenting about it are closet FTF-Hound-wannabes, but lack the resources (time, money, etc) to pull it off. Many wannabes (not all) think the FTFs should be granted and that no effort should be required to get a FTF. Seriously. This truly my observation as being an on-the-wagon, off-the-wagon, FTF seeker myself. Right now, I am currently on-the-wagon where I don't really care about FTFs. That may change at any time..

That doesn't make any sense. If you don't care about something how can it be a big deal to you?

I was kind of surprised to read this from you.

First, there is a difference between "not interested in a FTF" and "not caring about something [the FTF sub-game]". For example, there have been numerous threads about FTF hounds going into a park or cemetery after closing hours in order to try and get a FTF. Someone may have no interest in going for a FTF on a cache themselves, but might care a lot about the FTF game if those that play it have no qualms about entering a park/cemetery after closing ours, and that leads to a land manager banning geocaching in all city parks in a city. If, how some play the FTF game leads to the potential of presenting geocaching in a bad light (i.e. a land manager comes away with the impression with geocachers will ignore posted signage in pursuit of their game) then we all *should* care about the FTF game even if we don't choose to play the game ourselves.

I was kind of surprised to read this from you.

First, there is a difference between "not interested in a FTF" and "not caring about something [the FTF sub-game]". For example, there have been numerous threads about FTF hounds going into a park or cemetery after closing hours in order to try and get a FTF. Someone may have no interest in going for a FTF on a cache themselves, but might care a lot about the FTF game if those that play it have no qualms about entering a park/cemetery after closing ours, and that leads to a land manager banning geocaching in all city parks in a city. If, how some play the FTF game leads to the potential of presenting geocaching in a bad light (i.e. a land manager comes away with the impression with geocachers will ignore posted signage in pursuit of their game) then we all *should* care about the FTF game even if we don't choose to play the game ourselves.

Whilst I fully appreciate the point that you are making I think it would be wrong to place all FTF hunters in this category as out of control mavericks who will flaunt any laws or signage to achieve the FTF. Regularly, my experience has been that FTF hounds act responsibly and as part of the 'Beta testing' risks are the ones that have to report incorrect/dangerous co-ordinates or placements that have breached guidelines etc, etc. This often protects Geocaching as matters get amended/archived in a timely manner without any reputational damage.