Whats the ettiquite (sp?) on when you find a cache but you lost your pen/pencil?

RandomH3ro

i found a cache today. it was in 1 bush out of a whole row of 20. well, i keep my pen in my ear. so while i was sticking my head in and out of bushes, i lost it.

i looked all through my car for an extra but couldnt come up with one.

what should be done in this situation?

ps: i took a pic of the cache and the contents and log.

Bring an extra pen. And find a more secure ear.

I had an expensive "Space Pen", and its cap is on a carabiner, so I clipped it to my belt. The first time I used it, when I arrived at the cache, the cap was still clipped to my belt. Just the cap.

Now I always have at least one extra pen in my pocket. And a pencil or Sharpie, in case of Rite-In-The-Rain paper -- rollerball or felt-tip water-based pens are faint on that paper. Some paper is finicky towards certain writing instruments.

EDIT: Sign a couple of return-address-sized stickers, or strips of tape, and keep them on hand (inside the battery compartment of your GPSr might be good if you carry nothing else while caching). Put the sticker on the log page. Drawbacks are, you won't have today's date on the sticker, it's no good for a Nano or even most Micros, and it might not stick to a wet log. Also have a signed waterproof slip of paper to place into the container, if the log's missing or completely soaked.

However, that one event will be the only time you'll be without a pen, right? I assume you're not simply looking for creative ways to not sign the cache log.

Edited by kunarion

I've seen a few signatures that used improvised materials to mark the log: plant juice, bug juice, mud,... even blood. (I hope the blood was from an existing injury.) Where there's a will, there's a way.

I always carry Sharpie pens and pens with Fisher Space Pen refills, so I've never been unable to sign a log myself. But I've dropped my Palm PDA a few times, and spent more time searching for it than I had spent searching for the cache.

I've seen a few signatures that used improvised materials to mark the log: plant juice, bug juice, mud,... even blood. (I hope the blood was from an existing injury.) Where there's a will, there's a way.

I always carry Sharpie pens and pens with Fisher Space Pen refills, so I've never been unable to sign a log myself. But I've dropped my Palm PDA a few times, and spent more time searching for it than I had spent searching for the cache.

it had been raining a bit today, and i do work as a fingerprint examiner. it crossed my mind to sign it in mud with my thumb print.

hmmmm, maybe that could be my signature cache sig. :(

I carry at least 2 pens in my bag (in case one runs out of ink or gets lost) and a cheap pad of paper in case the logbook/logsheet is full.

In the absence of a pen I've known cachers to either take a photo of the cache and log to prove a find, sign with a splodge of mud, mark the log by pricking out their initials with a pin or leave a signature item in the cache.

If you explain on your online log what you did to prove you found it and explain you lost your pen you should be fine.

I use a golf pencil I keep in my pocket. I went caching and forgot to bring a writing stick so I went into a grocery store and found a WA state lottery kiosk with free short pencils so I have used it ever since. I suppose what I am getting at is try to get an alternate pencil source if you can lol.

Just let the co know or replace the pencil yourself.

Edited by DannyCaffeine

it had been raining a bit today, and i do work as a fingerprint examiner. it crossed my mind to sign it in mud with my thumb print.

hmmmm, maybe that could be my signature cache sig. :(

I once signed my initials (NYPC) in mud with a small twig. Fortunately, the cache was right next to a small pond. The next finder was kind enough to trace over my "signature" with a pencil.

Mpw, I almost always carry some sort of waist pack, or small backpack with me, loaded with pens and pencils, as well as a few other useful tools such as tweezer, an inspection mirror, and a few trade items.

I don't often trade but occasionally I'll find something that I think my son would like and want to have something to trade for it.

I used to forever be getting to a micro and realize that I had no pen. Now I have a lanyard with a pen that twists in and out. It goes around me on my way out the door and comes off when I get home....might look kinda geeky in the restaurant at lunch but oh well.

It's long enough that the only time I have to detach the pen is if I'm loaning it to another cacher.

Problem solved.

The only downside is that I've occasionally forgotten to twist the pen tip back in and have gotten more than a few markings on a t-shirt.

c74f087f-2446-44a6-bb22-579c3e000d35.jpg

That's a dollar store mechanical PENCIL (works great all winter too) attached to a dollar store reel. Always hangs there, never gets lost of 'borrowed' and always works.

The 'Ne Plus Ultra' of geocaching writing implement accessory.

Available at any dollar store (or from me directly for 2 easy payments of $12.95...). :mad:

I assume most people have assembled a "Geocaching kit" in the form of a carry bag (I use an old fanny pack, works great!) that includes not only a few pens/pencils but also a mechanical compass, various sizes of swag, sometimes spare GPSr batteries, etc. Keep that kit handy & you'll never forget the writing tools :mad:

I assume most people have assembled a "Geocaching kit" in the form of a carry bag (I use an old fanny pack, works great!) that includes not only a few pens/pencils but also a mechanical compass, various sizes of swag, sometimes spare GPSr batteries, etc. Keep that kit handy & you'll never forget the writing tools :(

Not really. I just shove bits and bobs into my rucksack every time I head off. I usually cache by car, and so if about to commence a bit of a hike, always carry pens in the car to slip into the rucksack if I've not already done so.

There is a cacher around these parts who has raised queries on another forum because he's regularly stated that he didn't have a pen to hand when logging finds. It was gently pointed out to him that it is actually a requirement of logging that the log IS signed. His reason had been that he caches by motorbike and doesn't want to risk impaling himself on a pen/pencil.

The point is that the occasional forgetfulness is one thing, but wilfully flouting the guidelines is a tad irritating.

That said, I had one where I visited a cache at a tourist spot, realised I didn't have my pen to hand, and spotted a tourist with one in his shirt pocket, so asked to borrow it. He didn't seem in the least bit curious as to why I was sitting on a wall wanting to sign a very tatty bit of log, but was happy to oblige. Job done!

:mad:

My rules..

Always carry 2 writing utensils, (unless I am caching from my car then it can be in the car).

Use pencils if possible. (golf pencils - small and cheap)

If using a pen, use one that will be messy if in the pocket without a cap. Then never give the cap if someone borrows it to log. Always take it off and hand them the uncapped pen.

Bring an extra pen. And find a more secure ear.

I had an expensive "Space Pen", and its cap is on a carabiner, so I clipped it to my belt. The first time I used it, when I arrived at the cache, the cap was still clipped to my belt. Just the cap.

Now I always have at least one extra pen in my pocket. And a pencil or Sharpie, in case of Rite-In-The-Rain paper -- rollerball or felt-tip water-based pens are faint on that paper. Some paper is finicky towards certain writing instruments.

EDIT: Sign a couple of return-address-sized stickers, or strips of tape, and keep them on hand (inside the battery compartment of your GPSr might be good if you carry nothing else while caching). Put the sticker on the log page. Drawbacks are, you won't have today's date on the sticker, it's no good for a Nano or even most Micros, and it might not stick to a wet log. Also have a signed waterproof slip of paper to place into the container, if the log's missing or completely soaked.

However, that one event will be the only time you'll be without a pen, right? I assume you're not simply looking for creative ways to not sign the cache log.

yea, i will have a pen from now on. today i went out and actually kept it in my pocket, which was weird cause i kept grabbing at my ear for it when i needed to sign logs, or when i was just checking if it was there, then i would freak out cause it wasnt in my ear.

Just a thought--

During gimmick car rallyes, I need to keep a pen handy to mark our score sheet as we go along. I wear an LED headlamp with an elastic band. After dark, I use the headlamp to read the score sheet or to read other rallye instructions. But whether or not it's dark, I use the elastic band to keep my pen handy. The pen is basically where it would be if I stuck it behind my ear, except that it's held more securely by the elastic band.

The downside is that it's a pretty geeky fashion statement. But when it's just me and my wife in the car, I don't worry about it.

Bring more than one pen next time.

I would go ahead and log the cache as a Find. Some purists will adamantly argue no signed log = no find, but not everyone is that stringent. If you honestly made the find, log it and remember the extra pen next time.

Edited by joshism

I've never understood the concept of a geocacher not carrying a writing implement. Or several.

I completely understand that happening, since I've arrived at cache hunts having forgotten my pen, GPSr, and my whole cache pack. Fortunately, I have managed to at least wear pants in public. As far as I know.

I don't always carry my pack to every cache I go to and my pack is where my pens are. I try to remember a pen but sometimes forget and luckily those times I can usually find some lead in a pencil stub in the cache to sign the log with (not always cute but it works).

That being said I NEVER forget my camera. There might be something cool on the way to the cache and wouldn't want to miss the chance to take a picture of it.

I just can't understand people who take a picture of the cache to verify that they found it because they forgot to bring a pen?

Seriously? you remembered to bring a camera but not a pen?

Fail...

Even if I don't have a real camera with me, I will (almost) always have a cell phone camera with me because I (almost) always carry my phone. It's not great, but it would be enough to ID a cache container and hiding spot.

I've never understood the concept of a geocacher not carrying a writing implement. Or several.

I do not know if it is a concept. I have lost pens along the way; have forgotten them until I am four miles out on the trail; searched the car in vain for a pen when I am out in the country and did not plan on caching; discovered that the pen did not write; abandoned pens when they leaked. But there is usually a leaf or a blade of grass that can be used to leave my mark, which is at least as legible as my handwriting.

But I have also lost my gpsr on the trail; not to mention wallets, watches, and other items.

What should be done? If you did not sign the log, they you do not qualify to log it at Geocaching. You log either a DNF, or a note. Steal Get a pen, and go back and sign the log. Fairly simple. I've never understood the concept of a geocacher not carrying a writing implement. Or several.

Rabble-rouser. Remind me to Grab away the next travel bug you place before you have a chance to log it.

What should be done? If you did not sign the log, they you do not qualify to log it at Geocaching. You log either a DNF, or a note. Steal Get a pen, and go back and sign the log. Fairly simple. I've never understood the concept of a geocacher not carrying a writing implement. Or several.

It happens. I got to a cache only to find the pen had fallen out of my pocket. I took a travel bug (real hard to log a bug if you dont actually get it out of the cache) and also took a picture of the log with my cell phone. Did the cache owner complain and delete my log? No.

Repeat after me....."It's just a game"

I just can't understand people who take a picture of the cache to verify that they found it because they forgot to bring a pen?

Fail...

i use my iPhone as my gps (i just got into it and am saving up to buy a dedicated gps). so the camera is always there.

Fail...

I just can't understand people who would be so quick to insult someone without thinking through a situation.

Seriously? You never considered the fact that most phones come with a camera now?

Fail...

*Disclaimer : above is just my lame attempt at humor. Please don't send the trailer park after me!

There has been a few times I've been driving around & decide to do some ad-hok caching in the area I'm in. But when I start getting ready to head out and I discover, "oops I have no pen to log with", occasionally I've (sadly) decided to cancel my geocaching trek :( rather than go knowing I won't be able to sign.

Sure there have been times I've gotten all the way to the cache only to discover then that my pen is lost/broken, and I wind up logging the find mentioning in my log my inability to sign, and hoped for the best. If the CO decided to withdraw my find then I wouldn't blame him at all.

I think it's a nice compromise if (in a pinch) you instead e-mail a photo to the CO of the cache as it definitely proves you were there. BUT I personally wouldn't start encouraging that option.. Some people might decide to do that regularly instead of signing, and I'd hate it if photo-emailing becomes a normal regular thing for people to do.

There has been a few times I've been driving around & decide to do some ad-hok caching in the area I'm in. But when I start getting ready to head out and I discover, "oops I have no pen to log with", occasionally I've (sadly) decided to cancel my geocaching trek :lol: rather than go knowing I won't be able to sign.

Sure there have been times I've gotten all the way to the cache only to discover then that my pen is lost/broken, and I wind up logging the find mentioning in my log my inability to sign, and hoped for the best. If the CO decided to withdraw my find then I wouldn't blame him at all.

I think it's a nice compromise if (in a pinch) you instead e-mail a photo to the CO of the cache as it definitely proves you were there. BUT I personally wouldn't start encouraging that option.. Some people might decide to do that regularly instead of signing, and I'd hate it if photo-emailing becomes a normal regular thing for people to do.

yea. ive discovered10 caches or so since, and ive had my pen with me at all times

I assume most people have assembled a "Geocaching kit" in the form of a carry bag (I use an old fanny pack, works great!) that includes not only a few pens/pencils but also a mechanical compass, various sizes of swag, sometimes spare GPSr batteries, etc. Keep that kit handy & you'll never forget the writing tools :lol:

I find an invaluable bit of kit is a small bottle of water. After you've been rooting around in muddy places to wash your hands! PS. "Fanny pack" is very rude where I come from!

I find an invaluable bit of kit is a small bottle of water. After you've been rooting around in muddy places to wash your hands!

I carry wet wipes. Out of all the knick knacks I've assembled over the past 20 months, this one gets the most use (other than the pen and GPSr, of course).

I use my smartphone to geocache. It is GPSr, web browser, Google Maps, compass, camera, etc. all in one. With it, I always feel like I have everything I need, which sometimes causes me to forget that I need a pen too. When I shop for my next smartphone, I will have to look for one with a built-in pen, then I won't have to worry about it.

Edited by e5c4p3artist

I have one of those mini ballpoint pens that has 4 colours. Comfortable to write with, cheap - think I got it at Wal-Mart. It is lasting well, the black is just starting to run out. It has been in caching use about 6 months. I also carry spare pens in my fanny pack/bum bag and my purse has one or two pens also.

Without a pen, I'd use a twig and mud or try and ingrain my signature somehow. The photo idea is a good one - must take my camera just in case!

I've never had this exact situation, but i have had a couple of times when i couldn't reach the cache. (I'm extremely short which makes caching rough by myself sometimes, if its in a tree or something.) In that case, i generally take a picture of the cache to prove i found and explain that i simply couldn't reach the cache. Most CO's are very understanding. Don't see how they wouldn't be in this situation either.

It happens. I got to a cache only to find the pen had fallen out of my pocket. I took a travel bug (real hard to log a bug if you dont actually get it out of the cache) and also took a picture of the log with my cell phone. Did the cache owner complain and delete my log? No.

Repeat after me....."It's just a game"

Maybe the best forum post i've ever read. LOL!!

All the replies about using a camera, when step 7 says it all.

Easy Steps to Geocaching

1. Register for a free Basic Membership.

2. Click "Hide & Seek a Cache."

3. Enter your postal code and click "search."

4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.

5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.

6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.

7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.

8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

The steps say nothing about taking a photo, placing a thumbprint, dripping blood or other body fluid on the log. It says "sign the logbook". Is this too difficult to understand?

You forgot your pen? Go back to your geomobile and get it.

Edited by randco

All the replies about using a camera, when step 7 says it all.

Easy Steps to Geocaching

1. Register for a free Basic Membership.

2. Click "Hide & Seek a Cache."

3. Enter your postal code and click "search."

4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.

5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.

6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.

7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.

8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

The steps say nothing about taking a photo, placing a thumbprint, dripping blood or other body fluid on the log. It says "sign the logbook". Is this too difficult to understand?

You forgot your pen? Go back to your geomobile and get it.

Step 8 seems to mention sharing photos which implies first taking photos. Lots of angst in this thread.