Whats the ettiquite (sp?) on when you find a cache but you lost your pen/pencil?

RandomH3ro

All the replies about using a camera, when step 7 says it all.

Easy Steps to Geocaching

1. Register for a free Basic Membership.

2. Click "Hide & Seek a Cache."

3. Enter your postal code and click "search."

4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.

5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.

6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.

7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.

8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

The steps say nothing about taking a photo, placing a thumbprint, dripping blood or other body fluid on the log. It says "sign the logbook". Is this too difficult to understand?

You forgot your pen? Go back to your geomobile and get it.

Step 8 seems to mention sharing photos which implies first taking photos. Lots of angst in this thread.

Since the Steps seem to be in a logical order, if what you suggest is true then what is currently step 8 would have been step 7 and step 7 would be step 8.

I'm not sure about the angst. Seems to me like it is common sense.

Always carry two writing devices. I've lost a few pens while out caching. Gotta sign that log for a smiley. Rules are rules.

All the replies about using a camera, when step 7 says it all.

Easy Steps to Geocaching

1. Register for a free Basic Membership.

2. Click "Hide & Seek a Cache."

3. Enter your postal code and click "search."

4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.

5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.

6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.

7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.

8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

The steps say nothing about taking a photo, placing a thumbprint, dripping blood or other body fluid on the log. It says "sign the logbook". Is this too difficult to understand?

You forgot your pen? Go back to your geomobile and get it.

Step 6 says use your GPS device to assist you in findind the hidden geocache. I assume then that everyone who doesn't use a GPS is cheating when they log their finds online? And since I have a premium membership I seldom do steps 1-5. Guess I'm a cheater.

Finally, where is the step about logging a find online. Step 8 only talks about sharing your geocaching stories an photos. I suspect if I didn't find the cache at all, you would have no objection to me using a DNF log to share my stories and photos. I find nothing in these so-called rules that say anything about whether I need to sign the log in order to log a find online. And the guideline for logging physical caches only says that if I sign the log, I can log a find online regardless of any additional requirements a cache owner may have put on the cache page.

I generally don't make a big deal in the getting started forum. Signing the log is fundamentally part of geocaching and players should sign the log when they find the cache. However there is no rule that says you gotta sign the log for a smiley. The find count is not a score. If you found the cache (and only you and sometimes the cache owner can decide if you found the cache), you can post a Found It log. Caches owners may delete logs that they think are bogus and some may choose to check the signed logbook to determine this.

Please don't anyone judge me as to what I do and don't have in my handbag, but I found a micro cache just outside a local shopping mall a few months back only to discover that I had nothing but some lip gloss and my wallet with me ... yep that log was signed in glittery cherry flavoured lip gloss! :laughing:

Please don't anyone judge me as to what I do and don't have in my handbag, but I found a micro cache just outside a local shopping mall a few months back only to discover that I had nothing but some lip gloss and my wallet with me ... yep that log was signed in glittery cherry flavoured lip gloss! :laughing:

I think you should get extra points for the skill involved with signing a micro sized log with lip gloss. :P