Most useless hint?

careygang

Time for some levity...

We've all seen the 'In Ivy' or the 'Base of tree', but has anyone got any other pointless or useless hints, be they too long, too cryptic or whatever.

I realise this might become a bit personal, so I'd like to set a rule that the cache, the locality or the owner must not be identified.

Just give the 'Hint' and explain why it didn't help. Then if the owner sees it here it is up to them to change it, have a laugh, realise that it was not as helpful as they intended etc.

This topic was thought of today after we had a DNF on a cache which was in the middle of nowhere, in brush/shrub land across a dual carriageway (for our US readers that is a divided highway ) from an abandoned truck stop, which was about 1000 feet away.

The additional hint was...Used to serve good lunches across the street.

Classic. The GPS had got me nearer than that!! <_<

Edited by careygang

I can't remember the GC or precise hint anyway but the ones I always find most useless are the ones that take half an hour to read in the field. Nothing like decoding three sentences of thesaurus-quality ROT13 only to find that it describes the route from the parking to the coords and ends with something like: "now look down, you can't miss it" <_<:(:huh:

I'm good at bad hints...

My all time fav - (and it took 3 attempts to get it past a reviewer) was "Near a sheep when placed" It got loads of comments (And hopefully a laugh or two as well!)

Another which was about 10 feet above the ground - tucked in a hole in the side of a Tor was "remember this was placed by The Birdman" which I thought was a great clue to the fact it was up high - but loads of people wrote comments like - "We know who placed it, no need to tell us again"

and whilst note a clue - my special favourite "Spoiler photo" was:

e197b57a-1f96-4a2d-93eb-64329603b05b.jpg

With a comment of - "It's somewhere here"

and for those who appreciate bad hints - you may like to suggest the next part of "The UK's Second Mega Event" clue... wonder if anyone's noticed...?

"If climbing up from <placename>, you open a gate marked "Cattle In [Field] - Please Close Gate" then you have gone too far."

The gate was about 100yds from the cache. :wacko:

Another really bad one was "75 yards from Stop Look Listen".

Terrible hint in the first place, but it's actually 175 yards. :yikes:

'under large stone' like other have said in a scree debris field with the GPS bouncing all over the place :wacko:

and similarly 'in crevice between rocks' - in a volcano debris field.

But 'roots of tree' in the middle of a wood is the one I always hate. :yikes:

In my early days of caching before I went paperless I used to hate war & peace style clues that took an age to decode in the middle of a field.

I like to put a 'hint' and not a 'spoiler' on my cache pages, but if the cache is in a high muggle area, I will make the hint much more of a spoiler, as the cache is going to be hard enough without a rubbish hint

BUT...

I like witty, clever or cryptic hints when I do caches : ones that help but where you have to use your brain. I don't think the hint should just tell you where the cache is, and in these days of paperless caching, many people seem to set off looking for caches with the hints pre-decrypted in advance.

Worst one... I had one of these the other week and was less than amused when looking for a micro in the woods... another vote for "BASE OF TREE" :yikes:

You know, When I decided to look at this topic I wasn't sure what to expect. Now that I have been reading these so called hints I am sitting here laughing my butt off! Not only because they are totaly useless hints most of the time but because they are ones we see here very often!! LOL

Here in Florida we get the amazing and SO VERY COMMON hint "hidden Florida style" Which usually means in the palmettos.Well here in Florida the woods usually consists of MOSTLY palmettos. Pretend there is a cache hidden here........Do you see it?......I'll give you a hint, it's hidden "Florida Style" :yikes::wacko::blink:

PICT0166.jpg

When caching in the US towards the end of 2007 I went for a cache in a park. The co-ords took you to the middle of the park, and the idea was to use your caching instincts to find it.

All the information given on the page was:

The cache is by a big tree.

The cache only contains a geonote and log. So bring your own pen.

There were loads of big trees within range, and lots of people going by. As a Brit in a security-conscious country I felt very exposed.

The clue:

Beware of muggles, bring a picnic lunch

I logged a DNF!

Edited by walkergeoff
"Bring a pen or pencil"

Wow no s**t sherlock, what will I need one of those for :yikes:

There's a sizeable series of caches that I could mention (not in the UK I might point out) where "BYOP" is the only info given aside from the coords and container size (micro, naturally). No descriptions, no hints.

I was just thinking that short, 'not very specific' hints and also longer rambling ones are both disliked to some extent. I suppose one way of looking at this is that if you've hidden the cache (e.g.) under a rock on top of a rocky bit of moorland where there are 50+ assorted rocks to be examined then to give a really clear hint you'd have to ramble a bit...

"West side of track, under the medium sized triangular rock with a small gorse bush at its side."

MrsB

"In a fir tree"

The cache was eventually found in a Yew, arboricultural ignorance!

I've encountered that same ignorance too. Maz62 and I were looking for a cache deep in thick mixed woodland in high summer. Obviously it didn't take us long to realize we needed the hint, which was "In a chestnut tree".

A little over an hour later Maz found the cache in a horse chestnut... :P

I was just thinking that short, 'not very specific' hints and also longer rambling ones are both disliked to some extent. I suppose one way of looking at this is that if you've hidden the cache (e.g.) under a rock on top of a rocky bit of moorland where there are 50+ assorted rocks to be examined then to give a really clear hint you'd have to ramble a bit...

"West side of track, under the medium sized triangular rock with a small gorse bush at its side."

MrsB

NP if they put the crux element of the hint at the start

...triangular rock, Gorse at side

would do for my GPS

DNF'ed this one today.

'12 from the left'

The GPS took me to where the paths were at a cross-roads.

Think I worked out to what it was refering to and did look but will have to return when more daylight is avalible.

I wish pepole would put; 'on your leftt as you come out the wood' or 'in the 4th big tree on the right as you approach from the road' or would that be to easy?