Release Notes 7/23/08

OpinioNate

Oh and can someone PLEEEEEEEEASE do something about the gawdawful, headache inducing, blinding PURPLE links????

Aw now...I'm kind of digging the purple. But everyone's entitled to their opinion :)

I like the Purple. :)

Overall, I really like the new "look and feel" of the updated website. The fonts are nicer, and everything looks smoother. :laughing:

[*]Removed find and hide count from friends list

If the number of requests counts, then I want to get in on the request to return the find and hide count to the friends list - I used it at least once every single day to check up on my friends without having to go into each individual account. It was VERY convenient. I agree that the look is better the new way, but it's not nearly as useful as it was the old way.

I loved the new feature, "driving directions" - very cool. Overall, sounds like many, many improvements were made - thanks for all the work everyone there does to help us geocachers!!

Decrypting the hint in Javascript is hard .... Ultimately, programming is about a wide range of shades of grey

Totally agree about decrypting in JS being hard. But one of the alternate shades of gray is to send the hint both encrypted and decrypted, and use JS to reveal one or the other. This should be just as easy as refreshing the entire page. In fact, this should make it easy to encrypt/decrypt all encryptable text on the page at once. Not only would it be faster than refreshing, it would in some cases be faster than the previous JS implementation (which sometimes ran for many seconds when someone put many paragraphs into the hint). Easier AND faster.

Edward

Being new to geocaching, this is my first post and, sadly, it's about what appears to be a rather severe new problem caused by this update.

I was just getting used to using the IE6 Print Preview function to print out a copy of the cache description page when, on the 23rd, the printouts became unusable because of new formatting which cut off the left quarter (or third) of the page. At first I thought it was something the new SP3 Update did to my XP. But I quickly discovered that the same thing happened using my Vista laptop with IE7.

In fact, the only way I could print out the description pages intact was through Firefox 3 which does properly format the pages for printing.

What seems to be happening with IE6 and IE7 is when the page is formatted for printing, the left column is removed. The large header which contains the cache name (such as GC1DD1 Historic Glenwood") now tops the page and wraps around (before it was just cut off). The smaller text beneath it however, does not adjust to the new size so the left portion does get cut off. To make matters worse, the entire page is now reformatted in a larger font size so that the material that used to take two pages now takes three pages.

The only workaround for this that I have found is to install FireFox 3 and just use it when I need to access and print from the geocaching.com site.

Well, I just tried the new site a few minutes ago, and I see that no one has posted to this thread in over half an hour and I didn't have time to read but one or two previous posts, so I thought I'd mention that the TB list has moved, decrypt refreshes the page, searching by UK postcodes doesn't work right, I can't find the state search, link colors are abominable, avatars are squished in some places, text is getting chopped off the left edge, character entities like & are spelled out rather than interpreted in some circumstances, and (visit link) doesn't pont to the right place.

Just thought I'd mention these things in case no one has noticed.

Edward

ok, I'll run before I have to duck

The only workaround for this that I have found is to install FireFox 3 and just use it when I need to access and print from the geocaching.com site.
Why only then? I use it more and more myself... Sites begin to use more and more new code that IE6 cannot render properly since it is too old and don't handle many new features, IE7 is sometimes better but not up to date.
Decrypting the hint in Javascript is hard .... Ultimately, programming is about a wide range of shades of grey

Totally agree about decrypting in JS being hard. But one of the alternate shades of gray is to send the hint both encrypted and decrypted, and use JS to reveal one or the other. This should be just as easy as refreshing the entire page. In fact, this should make it easy to encrypt/decrypt all encryptable text on the page at once. Not only would it be faster than refreshing, it would in some cases be faster than the previous JS implementation (which sometimes ran for many seconds when someone put many paragraphs into the hint). Easier AND faster.

Edward

Umm decrypting this text in javascript is absolutely simple and it is so ridiculous this is even being discussed as a 'problem'. Some of us know the reality of this sort of thing.

The reality is that FireFox printing is better....but far from perfect.

By the way, It would be nice, from time to time, to have a list of confirmed bugs that are currently being worked on. That should reduce the reduntant replies about the same issue.

By the way, It would be nice, from time to time, to have a list of confirmed bugs that are currently being worked on. That should reduce the reduntant replies about the same issue.
Tried that one time, I was updating a post constantly and it worked great but they never went ahead to do something similar.

I agree that a page dedicated to confirmed problems with status would be a great idea. Now with 500 posts soon, I understand nobody want to read all of the message so we must live with redundancy which is annoying for those who are following this topic 2-3 times a day.

P.S. at least with have Release Notes now, also one of my suggestion and I think it is appreciated.

Edited by Rhialto
Aw now...I'm kind of digging the purple. But everyone's entitled to their opinion :laughing:

I believe that most browsers (though not IE) now allow you to specify your own style sheets, usually by site. If you don't like the gc.com link styles, you can override them. You can do this by copying what works; you don't have to learn CSS (though you have to be careful to copy and paste exactly, because CSS is intolerant of errors and yet you won't get any error indications).

I know that in Opera, I install a user style sheet for a specific site by right-clicking on a page, selecting "edit site preferences", display tab, style sheet. I'm sure someone can give the instructions for Firefox.

Most of my user style sheets are only one to three lines long. They mostly deal with three problems on web sites:

-- text in unreadable colors, like light gray, abominable but currently very fashionable (why do web designers go to so much work to prevent us from reading their web sites?)

-- text in fonts which render poorly on screen

-- badly styled links

I think the fonts on gc.com are all OK -- I'm not currently overriding them. There must be some badly colored text, because I long ago forced it all to black. Link styles have been discussed in this thread, but I don't think previously.

Here is a style sheet which forces normal text to black, unvisited links to be underlined, and visited links to be struck through. (The latter is totally non-standard but I like it.)

* {color:black !important}

a:link {text-decoration:underline !important}

a:visited {text-decoration:line-through !important}

Note the !important in each spec. This is necessary to ensure that your user style sheet overrides the site's style sheet.

If you don't like the decoration but just want to change the link colors, you could write for example

a:visited {color:blue !important}

a:link {color:red !important}

a:active {color:blue !important}

a:hover {color:blue !important}

"hover" means a link that you are hovering over; "active" means a link in the process of being clicked. Various other color names are available, and you can use RGB specs as well. I found this page explaining many of the options; I imagine others here can point out other pages.

Just for grins, when I have problems with both the font and color, I use this:

* {color:black; font-family:Verdana !important}

since Verdana is highly readable on screen (though kind of ugly in print). As I said, I haven't found it necessary to override gc.com's fonts.

Edward

Nice New Look and Very Responsive! Nice Job!

Here is a list of things I noticed in IE (v6 & v7) that don't appear to work the same.

1. When I have a Google map showing the geocaches and I click on a cache image the resulting bubble cache info window that appears scrolls the map in a direction that makes the bubble cache info window to go out of view where I have to grab the map and drag it so the cache info is visible.

2. When the browser is not full screen area, the center section of the page will appear 'under' the right menu section.

3. The prior version of the site was MUCH better on my mobile phone (IE browser on Windows Mobile 6.1). I don't want to say the current site is horrible on my mobile phone but it certainly appears mobile devices were apparently not considered or tested during development prior to promotion to your production servers.

4. This doesn't work in either version of the site. For pocket query routes there is a check box to specify "Any Cache Type" when unchecked the Cache Types are still disabled not allowing me to select only the cache types I want to display along a route.

Ideas:

1. On personal cache hides, the ability to see the userids of those who are watching the cache.

2. A mobile friendly version of the site would be helpful (i.e. mobile.geocaching.com)

Richard (aka MaitreMind) :laughing:

Sr. Software Architect (Consultant)

Well, I just tried the new site a few minutes ago, and I see that no one has posted to this thread in over half an hour and I didn't have time to read but one or two previous posts, so I thought I'd mention that the TB list has moved, decrypt refreshes the page, searching by UK postcodes doesn't work right, I can't find the state search, link colors are abominable, avatars are squished in some places, text is getting chopped off the left edge, character entities like & are spelled out rather than interpreted in some circumstances, and (visit link) doesn't pont to the right place.

Just thought I'd mention these things in case no one has noticed.

Edward

ok, I'll run before I have to duck

I sure hope you were kidding - for those not following, every ONE of those bugs has been reported.

What's the point of having a friends list if you cant easily see their totals? I like keeping track of their caqching exploits and imagining where they have been. Please bring back the totals on the my friends page!

This has been mentioned before with a reponse. It wasn't working right before, and they are looking into in. From what I gathered, it worked right for some - but since it was unreliable, better to take it off than give wrong data.

3. The prior version of the site was MUCH better on my mobile phone (IE browser on Windows Mobile 6.1). I don't want to say the current site is horrible on my mobile phone but it certainly appears mobile devices were apparently not considered or tested during development prior to promotion to your production servers.

FULLY AGREE!!

2. A mobile friendly version of the site would be helpful (i.e. mobile.geocaching.com)

http://wap.geocaching.com

That's the mobile version of the site, though it too has improvements that could be made.

Trackables list moved: For now the list will stay where it is, but the /my/ page is next on the chopping block for redesign. We will take your desires into account when it is created.

Question for the Greasemonkey people: since the Trackacbles Inventory will stay down at the bottom of the page for the present, but a lot of people would rather see it where it used to be, is it the type of thing that a script can be written for?

The well known UK cacher and Greasemonkey script writer roolku has already done it. See here.

I've just installed it and it works a treat. Thanks roolku

This works nice. Thanks Roolku and thanks The Hornet for quoting the original post. I would have missed it completely and still be sitting here cussing the inventory issue.

Ready for a compliment?

It seems to work fine on my Nokia N800, with its Mozilla-based browser and 800x480 screen. I haven't checked every corner of the site yet, but at first glance it works just fine on my portable gadget.

Thank you for keeping small screens in mind!

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Quick update:

A moment ago we too the site down for a few changes. We're bringing back the find/hide count on the Friend's List page since so many of you are missing it. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned my poor choice of words when I said it "never" worked right. They are correct, it was only some counts that were off. From a strictly business standpoint it is a bad idea to have broken features available on the site, even if they occur infrequently. Since we didn't have time to fix it we simply removed it, but in this case perhaps the missing feature did more harm than having a semi-broken feature visible on the site. So the hide/find count is back on the Friend's List.

About mobile browsers:

I know that many of you are dismayed at the way certain changes to the site have caused geocaching.com to render poorly in some mobile browsers. I'm sorry about that. Our developer Thom is making it a goal to go through every page and modify the CSS to display a different version when mobile browsers are detected. This is a huge project so it may be a while before he is finished.

I'll keep you all posted on future developments. Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention that the profile widget (displays your avatar, account creation date etc. in the upper right) will now correctly update your find count each time you log a cache, instead of when you start a new session.

Edited by OpinioNate

Ready for a compliment?

It seems to work fine on my Nokia N800, with its Mozilla-based browser and 800x480 screen. I haven't checked every corner of the site yet, but at first glance it works just fine on my portable gadget.

Thank you for keeping small screens in mind!

I tried my 770 tablet with mozilla browser to log cache .... Well it was impossible as there wasn't any space where to write a log...space is dissappeared. fortunately wap page did this just fine.

Just noticed that we are the owners of geocache emails don't have scandi's öäå etc. Miss the scandinavian letters. Please bring them back.

These are my problems,with the new site so far.

Edited by small oaks

Quick update:

A moment ago we too the site down for a few changes. We're bringing back the find/hide count on the Friend's List page since so many of you are missing it. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned my poor choice of words when I said it "never" worked right. They are correct, it was only some counts that were off. From a strictly business standpoint it is a bad idea to have broken features available on the site, even if they occur infrequently. Since we didn't have time to fix it we simply removed it, but in this case perhaps the missing feature did more harm than having a semi-broken feature visible on the site. So the hide/find count is back on the Friend's List.

THANK YOU!!!!

About mobile browsers:

I know that many of you are dismayed at the way certain changes to the site have caused geocaching.com to render poorly in some mobile browsers. I'm sorry about that. Our developer Thom is making it a goal to go through every page and modify the CSS to display a different version when mobile browsers are detected. This is a huge project so it may be a while before he is finished.

YAHOO!!! That is going to be a highly anticipated upgrade for this user! Go Thom, keep plenty of caffinated products in stock and on hand! We're rooting for you!!

From a strictly business standpoint it is a bad idea to have broken features available on the site, even if they occur infrequently.

Wow, that kind of leaves you wide open there litttle buddy!

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Something to strive for, but not necessarily always possible. :laughing:

Hi All, have tried to read this thread through but might have missed the critical info - is there any word on the problem searching with UK postcodes yet? I'm searching by B15 3TR/B30 2NU, and Belfast's a bit far to go for a quick post-work cache & dash! I am either getting Belfast/German Caches or an error message, which hasn't appeared for a while so I can't remember what it said.

Have read that this is because of issues using whole UK 6 or 7 digit postcodes, putting me in Belfast, but any word on if there's a fix for this yet?

EDIT: Have tried searching for a full and partial postcode for my parents (KT15 3AF/KT15) & got that error message, which is "A location for KT15 could not be determined"

Thanks guys for all your hard work addressing issues & keeping us informed.

Edited by PurpleHeather

Yes, thank you very much - for bringing back the friends-hid/fnd-feature.

Even more thankful since I now at last have learned to program xmlhttprequests to asynchronously add the missing counts to the friend-page via Greasemonkey :laughing: Script was ready for "production" this night.

Glad this workaround is not needed anymore and we are back to instant-display-numbers :-)

cheers rflexor

Being new to geocaching, this is my first post and, sadly, it's about what appears to be a rather severe new problem caused by this update.

I was just getting used to using the IE6 Print Preview function to print out a copy of the cache description page when, on the 23rd, the printouts became unusable because of new formatting which cut off the left quarter (or third) of the page. At first I thought it was something the new SP3 Update did to my XP. But I quickly discovered that the same thing happened using my Vista laptop with IE7.

In fact, the only way I could print out the description pages intact was through Firefox 3 which does properly format the pages for printing.

What seems to be happening with IE6 and IE7 is when the page is formatted for printing, the left column is removed. The large header which contains the cache name (such as GC1DD1 Historic Glenwood") now tops the page and wraps around (before it was just cut off). The smaller text beneath it however, does not adjust to the new size so the left portion does get cut off. To make matters worse, the entire page is now reformatted in a larger font size so that the material that used to take two pages now takes three pages.

I really hope that they fix this major bug very quickly! I've been geocaching for four years printing pages from MSIE print preview. I fid this quite disturbing.

Hi All, have tried to read this thread through but might have missed the critical info - is there any word on the problem searching with UK postcodes yet? I'm searching by B15 3TR/B30 2NU, and Belfast's a bit far to go for a quick post-work cache & dash! I am either getting Belfast/German Caches or an error message, which hasn't appeared for a while so I can't remember what it said.

Have read that this is because of issues using whole UK 6 or 7 digit postcodes, putting me in Belfast, but any word on if there's a fix for this yet?

EDIT: Have tried searching for a full and partial postcode for my parents (KT15 3AF/KT15) & got that error message, which is "A location for KT15 could not be determined"

Thanks guys for all your hard work addressing issues & keeping us informed.

Just tried KT15 3AF and the search results returned seem to be centred on Addlestone, United Kingdom - is that correct? Nearest cache is GC1DE0X. B15 3TR is Birmingham (GC111TN) and also B30 2NU (GC1B4RY).

That is, of course, bearing in mind the limitations I mentioned above, which haven't yet been addressed.

Another couple hotfixes:

We moved the trackable inventory over to the right column. This was a quick fix so no asterisk will appear after two weeks, but as I said before this page is slated for a redesign in the near future.

The (visit link) functionality for cache logs should now be fixed as well.

I haven't read all these posts so forgive me if this has already been mentioned. The home page now displays the "Hello User" box with the forums avatar in it. But it compresses the avatar vertically to force it to be square. Cool new feature, but it could be cooler...

Something totally aesthetic but I'll point it out anyway. Forgive me for not picking through 49 pages to see if this has been mentioned already :rolleyes:

The multiple TB's image on cache search listings is nice but the transparency is wrong on the image file, as can be noted here:

multiple-tbs.jpg

Like I said, totally minor but one for the "when we get round to it" list, perhaps :blink:

Something totally aesthetic but I'll point it out anyway. Forgive me for not picking through 49 pages to see if this has been mentioned already :rolleyes:

The multiple TB's image on cache search listings is nice but the transparency is wrong on the image file, as can be noted here:

multiple-tbs.jpg

Like I said, totally minor but one for the "when we get round to it" list, perhaps :antenna:

I must admit I have no idea what you are talking about regarding the transparency.

And it is only 10 pages so far. :blink:

Another couple hotfixes:

We moved the trackable inventory over to the right column. This was a quick fix so no asterisk will appear after two weeks, but as I said before this page is slated for a redesign in the near future.

Again, thank you for listening and making the changes so quickly. I have been on other types of sites that make changes and just say "Suck it up".

Something totally aesthetic but I'll point it out anyway. Forgive me for not picking through 49 pages to see if this has been mentioned already :blink:

multiple-tbs.jpg

Like I said, totally minor but one for the "when we get round to it" list, perhaps :blink:

I must admit I have no idea what you are talking about regarding the transparency.

And it is only 10 pages so far. :antenna:

Look at the difference between the multiple travel bugs image and the multiple coins image, the multiple coins image has a transparent edge (so you don't see the white background of the image). The transparency isn't set on the multiple tb image, so you see a white border against caches you've found, own or caches on green rows on the page.

And it's 49 pages if you have it set to 10 posts per page like I do :rolleyes:

Another couple hotfixes:

Thank you OpinioNate!!!!!!

I found that having "My inventory" at the very bottom to be a very unfriendly place for it. And I haven't done a lot of caching in the past 30 days, but just thinking about some of my more cache-filled months and I would have really had to do some scrolling to find it.

But just wanted to say thanks!!!

Something totally aesthetic but I'll point it out anyway. Forgive me for not picking through 49 pages to see if this has been mentioned already :blink:

multiple-tbs.jpg

And it is only 10 pages so far. :antenna:

Look at the difference between the multiple travel bugs image and the multiple coins image, the multiple coins image has a transparent edge (so you don't see the white background of the image). The transparency isn't set on the multiple tb image, so you see a white border against caches you've found, own or caches on green rows on the page.

And it's 49 pages if you have it set to 10 posts per page like I do :rolleyes:

Ok, I see what you are referring to now, but I don't know if that is the transparency or if it is simply the way the image is rendered. I see the same thing on various other icons. I am no techie so I have no idea if what I am saying is right or makes sense.

We have tried printing with Firefox 2.0.0.14 and Safari 3.1 with Mac OS 10.4

We also tried with IE 6 and Firefox 3.0 with Windows XP.

None of the results was really satisfactory.

Somebody at gc.com is doing a lot of work, but we hope the printing functionality will return so that we can print both maps and logs.

Thank you

I will be monitoring this thread over the weekend, but I am not likely to post any updates (there won't really be any). Please continue letting us know of any issues, thanks!

Also, thanks for letting us know about the multi-tb icon. We have a new one ready to go for the next hotfix.

Quick update:

About mobile browsers:

I'll keep you all posted on future developments. Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention that the profile widget (displays your avatar, account creation date etc. in the upper right) will now correctly update your find count each time you log a cache, instead of when you start a new session.

Good to know the mobile browser issue is getting a bit of attention! :rolleyes:

I never really cared about the friends hide/find count, but thanks anyway!

On the benchmark details pages (such as this one), the box to the right that shows the map overlaps the body text that follows (in Safari and Firefox... works fine in IE5). You may need to clear floats after the div of class "widget-greybox" to keep the next page element pushed down, or perhaps investigate how the left-margin is set up on that div.

Just a thought...

This one is really bugging me too!

I will be monitoring this thread over the weekend, but I am not likely to post any updates (there won't really be any). Please continue letting us know of any issues, thanks!

Also, thanks for letting us know about the multi-tb icon. We have a new one ready to go for the next hotfix.

We still have the issue of not being able to click anything on the left side of "any Page" due to the 'advertisement' lapping over everything (just can't see it until you try to highlight). We are using 2 different computers - one with XP and the other with Vista and both using Fire Fox Browsers (not 3).

So, when we go to our list of caches - Our owned items, the second one down is Archie. We cannot go to that cache page at all. Also, the benchmark home page, as I have stated before, under "other search options" "Find a Benchmark". We cannot click any of those tiny buttons at all due to this overlapping and therefore not allowed access to anything of value on this page at all.

Just so you guys did not forget about this problem.

Thank you for any help with these items so we may use the site again.

Shirley~

Totally agree about decrypting in JS being hard.

Umm decrypting this text in javascript is absolutely simple and it is so ridiculous this is even being discussed as a 'problem'. Some of us know the reality of this sort of thing.

Yeah, decrypting some text in JS 'live' and replacing a div - or multiple divs per-log, separately - is utter basics for anyone who does web development for a living.

I can see how a casual html hacker might think it is 'hard', though. In reality it's quite simple. GS doesn't even need to code it themselves, could even use someone else's code:

http://tornio.info/rot13.html (view source - js rot13 decoder, available as Public Domain) - rather than reading from a form, the gs version would read from a particular div (for example <div id="hint"> or <div id="log3"> "log4" etc) and replace the contents with the decrypted version.

Thank you for putting the friends count back :rolleyes:

The new release doesn't load well on my sidekick, but I'm glad to hear that you are working on it...will wait patiently for that - it's not an important issue.

The purple visited link is a bit glaring on the white page background...it would be great if you could tone it down just a scootch.

One thing - maybe i'm being stupid - I updated my forum settings on my account page - with an avatar and my signature is supposed to have a link to my geocaching blog, but the changes aren't showing up.

perhaps it would make more sense to utilize the control panel that comes with the forum software rather than taking the information from the geocaching profile? Just a thought.

edited to add: on "My Account" page, isn't it kind of redundant to have the account stats with the picture AND the profile badge with the stats?

Edited by two ninjas and mom