Release Notes 7/23/08

OpinioNate

Internet Explorer 6.xxxx SP2.

Those who complain about stuff being at the very bottom of the page (like trackables) - don't scroll down, just hit the "END" key to go to the end of the page. It's over by HOME which takes you to the top of the page.

Trackables are back to the right-hand column.

<snip>

I'm not sure I like anything about the new site, but will list only a few things.

This is not pretty - it's ugly and unreadable.

726cfbdb-c512-4b9d-bb87-819ed3ca0273.jpg

Hints once just de-crypted right in front of you, now they reload the page which displays at the top often with the hint down a few scrolls. With GC.com that reload can take awhile sometimes.

Not overly fond on the font changes on /MY/ or other pages, but I'm just a curmudgeon on this one I guess.

Have to emphasize the ugly Avatar and information pictured and also the de-crypt stuff. One would not call those upgrades unless one works for Microsoft (then it would be typical).

Just a "DITTO" on some of the comments in this post.

Opera 9.51

The Avatar is very ugly, and on a dialup connection, having the page reload to decrypt the hint is annoying.

Thanks for listening to all the complaints comments. :o

Here is a cropped screen shot with the red arrow pointing to the overlap problem. I was able to show this by highlighting the word advertisement.

aa6b1b99-68fb-41ba-b3f1-d47916512600.jpg

This is in Firefox 2.0.0.9 with a screen resolution of 1280 X 960.

This overlap is preventing using any of the buttons on that side of the page.

This is because you have zoomed in (enlarging everything on the page that is not fixed by the style sheet).

Press CTRL-0 (zero at the top of keyboard, not on the numpad) and everything should go back to normal.

Not true in my case. (But thanks for the effort.)

This was OK in previous releases.

I answered about FireFox but if you are using IE6 (not sure for IE7) then you have to go into the 3rd menu (between Edit and Favorites, I forgot the name mine is in french) then under Text Size select Medium (or is it Normal?)

Edited by Rhialto

I'm also having trouble printing the cache description pages; while I can print out the "Short Description - No logs "- page, I usually prefer to print out the regular cache page for puzzle or multicaches. When I try to do that, the left hand side is cut off, and, as others have reported, it will not print any differently in landscape format or when I try to resize it to a percentage less than 100%. Very frustrating - I hope this can be fixed!

Out caching with PDA (Vario II) very hard to add finds online. All 3 views (one column, Fit to page etc) have page really spread and hard to find anything.

Also printing misses left hand side of page (already reported). PDF missed important graveyard detail to be obtained! And no option for clue decrypted.

I dont mean to be rude, but as an ex-programmer, I have to ask if proper testing on different peoples' PCs were done? Was there a beta test with our own members which surely would have picked up on many of these problems?

Yes.. We are the beta testers.

First of all, I want to thank all of the people and programmers at Geocaching.com for all of the hard work they do everyday to help us to enjoy this game more.

I know that in a few days all of the bugs will be worked out and that the site will be very close to perfect just the way that everything worked out a few months ago when the mapping section was upgraded.

I do have a couple of things that I would like to have changed as well.

1) When I scroll the mouse over the link/menu choices on the left of the page (Getting Started etc) all of the choices flash on and of as they are rolled over. If I move the mouse quickly, the selection will flash off and stay off (bug) until I roll quickly over all of the selections again. I personally don't like the flashing menu/link selections. I prefer that the link just changes colour. Just remove the flashing and leave the color change with the grey and it would look great for me.

2) I preferred the "Logged in as" USERNAME and Log Out link in the yellow color much better than the grey that it is now. Kind of nit-picky but the yellow color stuck out much better.

3) There seems to be a lot of white space on the site's pages. Where it seems to be most concerning to me is on the "My Account Details"page. All of the entries for the last 30 days used to fit on the screen at 1024x768 and only required 1 or 2 lines to display. Now the entries are allowed a much narrower space and take 2,3 or 4 lines to display. With the previous layout the narrower columns on the left and right of the screen and the thinner white border around a page's edges, I was able to easily see more info with less scrolling down the page. It looks like the site has been optimized for the new widescreen monitors or those running 1280x1024. Although I can run 1280x1024 I prefer the larger text size and higher refresh rates allowed at 1024x768. For LCD monitors the refresh rate is not an issue but with a CRT monitor the higher refresh rate and larger text size is easier on the eyes. I am sure that a lot of us are using 17" CRT monitors as opposed to the newer, larger widescreen LCD monitors.

Thanks for your consideration of these requests.

Edited by Techwiz

I haven't got any copy of e-mails sent to others since the change, this seems not to be working. I don't know if others get the mail either.

I also haven't got some of the TB "placed" mails.

Pocket Querys for Norway does not give the newly implemented states of caches located in Norway. The "State"-field is empty, even though I know it should be filled. I you download a GPX-file for a single cache, everything is right.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon :o

Problem with when you print out a copy of any cache page it cuts off the left hand side of the page

The word Difficulty: ***** Terrain:*****

you can only read culty:***** Terrain:*****

So there is alot missing.

Problem with when you print out a copy of any cache page it cuts off the left hand side of the page

:o Do hope this printing issue is fixed soon. It is starting to take the fun were were having away from the game. :lol:

:o Do hope this printing issue is fixed soon. It is starting to take the fun were were having away from the game. :lol:

SHEESH! Isn't this the 'Electronic Age'?

There is no longer a need to print anything!

Take all the money you would have spent on paper and ink cartridges and get an older PDA to put the information on. You can get a decent PDA on EBay or Craigslist for about the same price as ONE SET of printer cartridges.

Take all the money you would have spent on paper and ink cartridges and get an older PDA to put the information on. You can get a decent PDA on EBay or Craigslist for about the same price as ONE SET of printer cartridges.

While I agree, some people are a bit more ... technologically challenged ... than others. Personally, I've been using a PDA since the PalmIII came out like 10 years ago. But some people I know and cache with keep using me for support for various computing issues - GSAK, PDAs, cameras, etc.

Also, think of those who aren't Premium members. I realize it's an inexpensive investment, but they can't do paperless too easily.

Before the site was "improved" it worked fine for me. But there are some real pain in the rear bugs these improvements caused when you use "largest" in the View, Text Size. I have a large high resolution monitor. So I set the text size to largest so I can read it.

When you have text size set to largest, field notes do not work right. You have to click your mouse on the log space several times before the cursor will go there. It works like it used to when you set text size to medium.

The other problem is it is extremely difficult to impossible to select the coordinates of the cache so you can cut and paste them into something else. You cannot start selecting at the N. You can start selecting at the minutes. If I start from the back, when you get to N36, it goes down. If I play around very carefully I can finally select the whole coordinates-but it is extremely difficult. Before the new improvements, it worked fine on largest setting. If I select text size medium, it works perfectly.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I liked it the way it was. I would rather see stuff like PQs for more than 500 caches than all these "improvements" in the site. Please undo whatever was done so it works with the largest text setting.

Yep only Firefox works. IE cuts off everything on the left. The large font size is a waste of paper as well. Now I have more pages to print just to capture the logs. Although it makes no diff, I prefer the old style of printing much better.

I partially agree with you, but for me it makes a big difference. The old version was fine. The new version is close to unusable for me as printing of cache descriptions is regarded. I cannot recognize any improvement for me that came along with the update, only things that became worse.

I am using Firefox (2.0.0.16 on Linux), but I encounter big troubles with printing since the update.

It is not only the large font and the completely useless head line which justs wastes paper that disturb me.

Before the update the second map (the one which shows the target location more closely) printed out fine, now there is just an empty box.

I am caching in a region where there exist many caches with long descriptions (3 and more pages before the update ). After the update the number of required pages has more than doubled. I am very unhappy with this situation.

The simple print option does not provide a workaround for me as I want to include a few logs and the detailed map. The pdf-options only produce garbage and the fonts are even larger than in the printouts generated by the direct approach.

Cezanne

Who determines what is or isn't standards-compliant?
World Wide Web Consortium

Too off-topic to get into here.

It may be worth a short explanation since so many people are affected and since this relates to so many of the issues with this release.

The w3 standards (see link in quote) describe standard-conforming web pages and standard-conforming browsers. A browser is defined as standard-conforming if it renders (displays or prints) all standard-conforming pages as laid out in the standards documents.

The kicker is that if the web page does not conform to the standards, then all bets are off. The standards body says nothing about what a browser should do with a non-standard-conforming web page. The browser can leave it blank, shut down your computer, or ring your alarm clock -- these may not be good ideas, but it is not a standards question. The browser is not required to observe standards in part of a page -- it's the whole page which is standard-conforming or not. In fact of course all browsers do their best in the face of such adversity, since so little of the web conforms to the standards that refusing to render broken web pages would make the browser unusable. (It's very illuminating to copy a URL, go to the W3 validator, and observer the number of errors it reports. Non-technical people won't have any idea what the specific errors indicate, but when you see that a web page has 123 errors or 987 errors, you get the idea that something is wrong. Those using Macs have the option of using the iCab browser, which gives a visual indication of whether the current page conforms.)

As pointed out, the current levels of all the popular browsers (even IE) do quite well with standard-conforming web pages. There are still discrepancies, but they are rapidly diminishing and are mostly confined to somewhat obscure situations.

The problem for us here is that gc.com pages are not standard-conforming, and therefore the browsers are using "quirks mode" rather than standards mode. There is no standard for quirks mode, because by definition it's what the browser does when there's no standard to apply.

It's very likely that many of the display and print problems reported would disappear if gc.com would make all pages conform to the standards. Then testing in one browser would usually be sufficient.

(When you see web sites saying they only support certain browsers because they don't have time to test them all, it really means they don't want to be bothered to produce standard-conforming web pages. This is not to say that all the blame falls on them. Most of the tools for building web sites also pay little attention to standards. It's the companies creating those tools who deserved the largest share of the blame. The culture of web designers is also to blame.)

Edward

:lol: Do hope this printing issue is fixed soon. It is starting to take the fun were were having away from the game. :o

We've been in the motorized age for over 100 years and yet we still use horses as a viable means of transportation. As antiquated as it may seem, there is a culture who shuns the automobile and goes by horse and buggy. Not everybody is comfortable with going paperless. The font is too small, the screen is too small, carrying a laptop big enough to make it readable for some is too impractical for many reasons. Going paperless shouldn't be pushed as THE solution for everybody.

Any update on the printing problem?

I too get left side missing with cache and benchmark pages. The print view is too large to fit the page and requesting my printer to reduce the size only gives me blank space on the right side of the page with the left side still cut off.

XP Pro, Service Pack 2

IE 7

Epson C88 printer

(Note to AZCachemeister: I am preparing for a vacation trip beginning Thursday and our PDA just became very unreliable so paperless caching will not work for us right now. I can't risk UPS leaving an eBay PDA on my front porch the day after we leave.)

Today's release represents a significant update to Geocaching.com. Although there have been numerous bug fixes, the primary focus has been to improve the process for creating and renewing Premium Memberships.

Regrettably, while none of the fixed bugs affected me before, lots of the new ones affect me now :o In particular, printing is now a disaster :lol: .

Typically, to save paper, I print just the first 2 pages, and I print them side by side on a single sheet. To do this I select my printer's properties and choose the "2 up" option. I don't use the print button on the cache page because that opens a new window every time, and loses the printer settings - I have to go through the printer properties dialogue for every cache page I want to print, and that's a real drag.

Previously I just printed the normal pages, and that was perfectly fine because it retained the settings done in that session. The first 2 pages would usually give me all the description and one or two logs. But now, when I print the page, firstly the line spacing is so huge that the description often doesn't fit onto the first 2 pages! And sometimes it's even worse, the page is chopped off to left and right so I can't see all the text anyway. This behaviour is inconsistent. Internet Explorer7, in case it matters.

I have to say that the new screen layout is not so clear as the old one, i.e. the crucial bits of information don't seem to stand out so well, especially when the screen page is printed.

It does seem a shame that this was presented as a "bug fix" release, when the presentation changes appear to have a far greater effect than whatever bugs were fixed. My own feeling is, if you can, go back to where you were before and just fix the bugs, but leave the presentation as it was.

Rgds, Andy

Yep only Firefox works. IE cuts off everything on the left. The large font size is a waste of paper as well. Now I have more pages to print just to capture the logs. Although it makes no diff, I prefer the old style of printing much better.

I partially agree with you, but for me it makes a big difference. The old version was fine. The new version is close to unusable for me as printing of cache descriptions is regarded. I cannot recognize any improvement for me that came along with the update, only things that became worse.

I am using Firefox (2.0.0.16 on Linux), but I encounter big troubles with printing since the update.

It is not only the large font and the completely useless head line which justs wastes paper that disturb me.

Before the update the second map (the one which shows the target location more closely) printed out fine, now there is just an empty box.

I am caching in a region where there exist many caches with long descriptions (3 and more pages before the update ). After the update the number of required pages has more than doubled. I am very unhappy with this situation.

The simple print option does not provide a workaround for me as I want to include a few logs and the detailed map. The pdf-options only produce garbage and the fonts are even larger than in the printouts generated by the direct approach.

Cezanne

Sorry. Let me rephrase that. It does make a huge difference to me. What I should have said was much as I would like to see them return to the old pages & printing method my complaint would make no difference to them in the great scheme of things. I can't see them going back to the former layout.

A cache that was placed just this month took 5 pages to print. That's crazy. And while I advocate paperless we just can't get that method working for us right now. Especially as we cache when we travel and we need the maps. So we still have to print something.

I've been having the lost map issue for a few weeks now. In both IE and FF. There is another topic about this and that issue has not been addressed at all.

I did use the simple print option to capture the map (thanks to the person who suggested that) however out in the field the lack of logs and not being able to find some needed info - some items fell outside the printing margins apparently - makes the simple print page almost useless except for the map.

Edited by GPX Navigators

Not sure if anyone has reported this or not, but when I do a Hide and Seek a cache and use "by zip/postal code" or "by address" it works at first but later in my session I get "A location for '97960' could not be determined" or "A location for 'cityname' could not be determined". Same thing happens in both IE and Mozilla. I have had others double-check that I am typing correctly when doing the searches. This never happened before the latest site update. -verano

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but since the change, my TBs have had their names displayed incorrectly. I use quotation marks around part of the names of some of my TBs like: SLT's "South Africa" Signal Geocoin 03-2007. Since the web site change my TB e-mail has referenced the TBs with quotes like: SLT's "South Africa" Signal Geocoin 03-2007. The names are displayed correctly on the TBs' web page. I'd like the issue fixed. I'm patient. I just wanted to post this issue for the TPTB to be notified.

Edited by South Lyon Trekkers

There is a problem with printing the cache pages. The first few inches of the left hand side does not appear, thus making the print out useless :D

The print outs from the forum pages work OK, as do ones from other web sites, so I guess that this problem only affects the cache pages site. I have made no changes to my settings (IE7), so I suppose the problem must be with Groundspeak.

Is it likley to be fixed soon ?

There was no problems a few weeks ago.

The new release seems to have a changed the printing of the description pages:

The left part is truncated so some text is missing. This is in IE and FF.

Until now I used to print the description pages. Before this, I decrypted the hint (very ugly that now the page is reloaded as noted before) and printed two or three pages. So I have some logs and were happy outside.

PDF formatting is ugly because it writes all the text in one line and does not print the decrypted hint - even if I decrypted it before.

"Print Simple (no logs)" is ugly because the missing logs and it does not print the decrypted hint - even if I decrypted it before.

Please bring back the old printing!

Rgds

Walter (walter1)

The problem is caused because the hint can contain html and html-entities (for characters like & that are html special characters). Beyond this the html may be user provided (if they checked descriptions contain html) or added by the site if the hint was written in plain text (<br> or <p> added for line breaks, and maybe the site also allows bbcode - I'm not certain). Also any part of the hint between brackets [ and ] is not encrypted. I don't think there is a public domain rot13 javascript code that handles all these case. You're right that any good Javascript programmer could write the code - so long as they did the analysis of all the combinations of html, html-entities, and bracketed code they had to handle - it is not as trivial as you think. Or you could create two divs - one encrypted and one decrypted - and just change the visibility style of each to show one or the other as paleolith suggested.

It's not really that hard. I know, because I wrote one a few years ago - a Greasemonkey script. I removed it from my distribution site when GC incorporated it. But it's not nearly as hard as you describe, because you're working directly with DOM elements. Just pull out the text nodes, and you don't have to worry about line breaks, etc. The only real trick is keeping track of the [plain-text], but that's a simple operation of toggling the encryption on and off.

I've still got the script on file somewhere. I'll dust it off and see if I can get it working with the new site.

I used that script and it worked wonderfully. While you are dusting off that one can you please take a look at your script that put links to my logs up at the upper right corner of the cache pages? This new update has removed that functionality. If you can fix that one it would be great.

<snip>

Also, think of those who aren't Premium members. I realize it's an inexpensive investment, but they can't do paperless too easily.

For the price of an ink cartridge or two they could have a premium membership. For the price of two reams they almost have bought a years membership.

Jim

Today's release represents a significant update to Geocaching.com. Although there have been numerous bug fixes, the primary focus has been to improve the process for creating and renewing Premium Memberships.

Regrettably, while none of the fixed bugs affected me before, lots of the new ones affect me now :D In particular, printing is now a disaster :D .

Typically, to save paper, I print just the first 2 pages, and I print them side by side on a single sheet. To do this I select my printer's properties and choose the "2 up" option. I don't use the print button on the cache page because that opens a new window every time, and loses the printer settings - I have to go through the printer properties dialogue for every cache page I want to print, and that's a real drag.

Previously I just printed the normal pages, and that was perfectly fine because it retained the settings done in that session. The first 2 pages would usually give me all the description and one or two logs. But now, when I print the page, firstly the line spacing is so huge that the description often doesn't fit onto the first 2 pages! And sometimes it's even worse, the page is chopped off to left and right so I can't see all the text anyway. This behaviour is inconsistent. Internet Explorer7, in case it matters.

I have to say that the new screen layout is not so clear as the old one, i.e. the crucial bits of information don't seem to stand out so well, especially when the screen page is printed.

It does seem a shame that this was presented as a "bug fix" release, when the presentation changes appear to have a far greater effect than whatever bugs were fixed. My own feeling is, if you can, go back to where you were before and just fix the bugs, but leave the presentation as it was.

Rgds, Andy

Totally agree with going back to before this 'FIX'. Pinting worked then - total disaster now :D

If it ain't broke - don't fix it !!!

Edited by Whistle Blowers

new set up looks good, classier.

so far only one thing ild like to suggest.

in the Edit Listing page, on the "Reset" button could you PLEASE set a javascript verification as in : "Are you sure you wish to reset"

or put the reset button to the right of the page and put the "Edit listing" to the left where the Reset button now resides.

I start out by typing the text on a seperate file to then copy it to the Listing, but I'm always editing, fine tuning checking how it looks on the Listing page itself... and then... Reset ... ARGHHH

cheers

:D I am not able to print out cache pages. There is no printing at the left, and sometimes the map doesn't even show up. Don't tell me to go paperless, some of us can't afford it or don't want to! For whatever reason. We used to be able to print out the pages. Now we cannot. Help!
And while I advocate paperless we just can't get that method working for us right now. Especially as we cache when we travel and we need the maps. So we still have to print something.

Travelling is not very good excuse not going paperless. We have found caches in 21 countries and in 18 US states without any papers since 2004. 99% of the time mobile online logging too. The globe is mapped pretty nicely and a small effort finding the electric maps saves you a lot of trouble on the field. Printing has always been the "too much effort" option for us compared to making PQs and exporting them into mobiles and GPS reveivers.

I got a server error message about 45 second saving timeout or something and after that I noticed this double posting. Can someone delete this?

Edited by Murre&Mirre

I got a server error message about 45 second saving timeout or something and after that I noticed this double posting.

I think that was the caching gods reminding you of the occasional fragility of technology and why some people are paper-ful.

But cachers should not have make major changes in how they cache because of a site "bug fix".

The new release seems to have a changed the printing of the description pages:

The left part is truncated so some text is missing. This is in IE and FF.

Until now I used to print the description pages. Before this, I decrypted the hint (very ugly that now the page is reloaded as noted before) and printed two or three pages. So I have some logs and were happy outside.

PDF formatting is ugly because it writes all the text in one line and does not print the decrypted hint - even if I decrypted it before.

"Print Simple (no logs)" is ugly because the missing logs and it does not print the decrypted hint - even if I decrypted it before.

Please bring back the old printing!

Rgds

Walter (walter1)

I am experiencing the same difficulty described above. :D The left side of the page is truncated regardless of what method I use to try to print the cache page or how I try to format/setup the page.

I am not receiving emails when I log finds or DNFs to items on My Watchlist. I've emailed the owners about them. They didn't receive the emails either.

I do receive emails when others submit logs for items on My Watchlist.

This is happening for:

- geocaches that were on My Watchlist prior to the upgrade

- geocaches that I've added to My Watchlist since the upgrade.

- geocaches that were on My Watchlist prior to the upgrade that I've removed from the list and readded before submitting logs.

:D

I don't know if this is related to the new release, but over the weekend I got an email that someone had Retrieved one of my Travel Bugs. So far, so good. But when I looked at the TB's page, I saw that this cacher had also Dropped the TB, but I never got an email for that log. (And, no, the email was not in the Spam filter folder.) :D

It looks like I'm just one of many (maybe everyone) who is no longer receiving all my "notification" e-mails...it almost seems random what shows up and what doesn't. Hopefully this can be debugged soon...what's the point of living vicariously through TB's, if you don't know where they are or what they're doing :D

I don't know if this is related to the new release, but over the weekend I got an email that someone had Retrieved one of my Travel Bugs. So far, so good. But when I looked at the TB's page, I saw that this cacher had also Dropped the TB, but I never got an email for that log. (And, no, the email was not in the Spam filter folder.) :D

I made a quick search of the comments on decrypting the hints but I did not see anything about encrypted logs.

Previously having encrypted text in the middle of the log worked OK - using [ ] to mark unencrypted text before and after the relevant text. Now it seems that plain text in [ ] AFTER the encrypted passage is also encrypted.

Further investigation seems to indicate that the [ ] around the emoticons are confusing the decrypt code?

That happened to me too...

I think I'm doing something right. In trying to reproduce the 'error' everyone was having with printing cache pages, I selected simple - no logs. Got a nice printout with everything but the adverts on the left side. Then, I tried it with a PDF. Got a nice usable printout.

Now I'm curious - what's the problem? Or am I doing something right (wrong?)? Or has someone already fixed everything?

(edit to add: Maps are showing up for me, too)

Edited by PJPeters