Selling activated coins...

avroair

Hypothetical Situation:

So I have a trackable coin that is activated by someone else. Is it ok for me to sell it in the forums or on ebay even if I am not the owner. Is there any circumstance where this is permissable? So when is it ok? Or in your opinion is it never ok?

This is meant to be a general, wide open discussion, you can discuss specific coins or circumstances, but I have not included any to begin with.(such as how i obtained it etc on purpose to keep it open).

It is also not pointed at any particular coin. But there are specific examples out there such as a moun10bike, ajayhawkfan personal or my renegade gnomes that are activated under the original owners account and the ownership are not transferred. Or general ones, such as a traveling coin hoisted from a cache.

What do people think?

I would say that if the coin is activated by someone else, it is still owned by them whether or not it resides in your collection. With that being said, I would say it is not ok to sell it because it is not your property so to speak. If you wanted to sell it I would ask the owner about it and see if they wanted to trade back for it for coins I could sell (or ask someone else for a trade).

I don't believe it is right to sell a coin that you personally didn't activate.

What would stop me from going to caches and just selling the coins that I find in there if this became common practice?

Whether or not you traded something to the person that activated the coin, you still shouldn't sell it if it they haven't adopted it to you. If you need to sell it for some reason, contact the owner and ask them if they could adopt the coin to you, and explain the circumstance. If they transfer ownership, then it is yours to sell, otherwise don't sell it.

edit : repetition

Edited by ~tasia~

WELL It seems pretty clear most of the ebay auctions have been ended . And you know the response you would get here for trying to sell one would not be good. The one acceptable option i think for just about all. is to trade for something that is sell able. As long as Its not a traveler from a cache Then only option is just move it baby.

Edited by geocachingdragon

A very good question that the CreepyCrawlyCachers will be following closely since the CCC is in this boat right now.

As most know, the CCC is a trackable coin on GC. The CCC maintains ownership of all the coins. While you are free to collect one, or share it with the world, or simply move it along, there was always one thing that was against the rules with these coins. They were never to be sold*. Each coins page clearly states this with a sentence stating this.

This trackable coin has been activated under the CCC’s account…a curse upon those that try to profit from this gift. Do not sell this coin.

A couple weeks ago, a cacher claiming to need the money, placed one on eBay. It was an activated coin owner by yours truly. An email went to the person behind the auction, the auction was pulled, but the CCC never heard anything from this cacher. t was asked that the coin be placed in a cache and moved on. The CCC being overly trusting and naive, assumed this had happened and left it at that. A couple days ago the CCC became aware this coin had made it's way several thousand miles to another well known eBayer. It has also come to the CCC's attention, this coin is currently being shopped around for a big trade or will be sold on eBay. Since the coin's page has been changed to being a traditional geocoin with a mission to travel the United States, the CCC contacted the current holder and explained this coin was not to be sold and needed to be released into a cache immediately. The only response from the current holder was a note simply stating they paid "X" amount of money for this coin. Again the CCC has notified this cacher of the ownership of this coin.

The CCC is limited to asking for the coin to be released or locking the coin's page. By locking the coin's page, it will take the value away to most.

The CCC is curious as to what others do and seeking advice from the community. The CCC hopes the community won't accept this behavior and at least won't endorse it by playing into these action by buying or trading for this coin.

* Some coins have been donated for various causes and the CCC retains this right to do so.

Wow CCC I am so sorry you are in this situation! My CCC coin I retrieved from a cache is my prize possession. I have figured a way to take it to events and still make sure it doesn't disappear. I can't imagine anyone selling it, and yes you made it quite clear from the beginning these where not to be sold.

As for your question Mark, I feel it is never ok to sell a coin that has been activated by someone else. If you activated it and are willing to adopt that is completely different.

I believe that if a coin is activated its as good as saying, Hey this is My coin, please move it on. A hard set line should be that a coin that is not actiavted by you should never be sold. It should also not be traded unless traded from the original activated owner or permission to trade is given.

Edited by lordzogat

So the general jist so far is that it isn't ok to sell a coin that is activated by someone else... regardless of how you obtained the coin. Does it make a difference if the person who wants to sell the coin bought it or found it in a cache? Or should they both be considered naive from the sellers stand point.

Not stating an opinion, just asking some more questions. I have been asked if the predicament was started due to someone attempting to sell a Renegade Gnome. The answer is no, but I could be faced with that situation some time down the road...

Now on to my personal opinion... the renegades were gifts and people a free to do as they please with them, trade, set free, keep etc. However, if I did see one on ebay, I can't control that, but my opinion of that person would surely change. :)

Edit: grammar

Edited by avroair

I agree that it isn't right to sell a coin that is activated by someone else.

It is also a very bad deal to those buying these coins. Since you aren't buying it from the official owner of the coin, then activation can (and should) be locked. So you've paid alot for a coin, that is basically no longer trackable. When you show off your collection, and someone tries to discover it, it will be embarrassing to have to explain why that great coin you have is locked.

A very good question that the CreepyCrawlyCachers will be following closely since the CCC is in this boat right now.

As most know, the CCC is a trackable coin on GC. The CCC maintains ownership of all the coins. While you are free to collect one, or share it with the world, or simply move it along, there was always one thing that was against the rules with these coins. They were never to be sold*. Each coins page clearly states this with a sentence stating this.

This trackable coin has been activated under the CCC’s account…a curse upon those that try to profit from this gift. Do not sell this coin.

A couple weeks ago, a cacher claiming to need the money, placed one on eBay. It was an activated coin owner by yours truly. An email went to the person behind the auction, the auction was pulled, but the CCC never heard anything from this cacher. t was asked that the coin be placed in a cache and moved on. The CCC being overly trusting and naive, assumed this had happened and left it at that. A couple days ago the CCC became aware this coin had made it's way several thousand miles to another well known eBayer. It has also come to the CCC's attention, this coin is currently being shopped around for a big trade or will be sold on eBay. Since the coin's page has been changed to being a traditional geocoin with a mission to travel the United States, the CCC contacted the current holder and explained this coin was not to be sold and needed to be released into a cache immediately. The only response from the current holder was a note simply stating they paid "X" amount of money for this coin. Again the CCC has notified this cacher of the ownership of this coin.

The CCC is limited to asking for the coin to be released or locking the coin's page. By locking the coin's page, it will take the value away to most.

The CCC is curious as to what others do and seeking advice from the community. The CCC hopes the community won't accept this behavior and at least won't endorse it by playing into these action by buying or trading for this coin.

* Some coins have been donated for various causes and the CCC retains this right to do so.

This is truly sad! While I am definitely in need of money, I would NEVER sell ANY Mystery coin or other coin that was gifted to me, just won't happen!

You have my word CCC, I wouldn't trade nor buy this coin! THANKS for the heads-up!

So the general jist so far is that it isn't ok to sell a coin that is activated by someone else... regardless of how you obtained the coin. Does it make a difference if the person who wants to sell the coin bought it or found it in a cache? Or should they both be considered naive from the sellers stand point.

I'm guessing that, if the owner activated it, (s)he would likely have also made a mission statement? If the coin says not to be sold, it shouldn't matter if you found it in a cache...and you CERTAINLY shouldn't have bought it (save maybe a charity auction???)! Respect....it all comes down to respect. Respect for others and yourself!

I don't think it's ever right to sell an activated coin owned by someone else. I recently bought a coin - not on ebay - that was activated by someone other than who I bought it from. I contacted the real owner and they had no idea how the coin ended up out of their possession.. I returned the coin to the right owner. I can't think of a reason why it would be okay to sell a coin that's obviously owned by someone else

:)

As others have said, "ask the owner". they may not care or they may want the coin back. either way, you're not out anything b/c it was given out originally. if the don't want it sold, then see what they say about trading it. then sell the coin to traded for. if they don't want you to sell or trade it, then you can send it my way. i'll take care of it for you. :)

an activated trackable is owned by the activator

it says so right there on the trackable item page

the word "owner" followed by the owner name

if an allowable or preferred action is specifically mentioned on the trackable item page, then feel free to do so

(eg - keep, trade, mission, etc)

if a forbidden action is specifically mentioned on the trackable item page, then do not do it

(eg - no sell, do not take beyond a particular geographical area, etc)

if there is ambiguity or doubt in your mind, e-mail the owner before proceeding

I believe that the owner is the one who's name is next to the word OWNER on the coin page. If that isn't me I have no right to sell it as it isn't mine. If the coin page says something like this "Keep me, trade me, ogle me...just please don't sell me! " Then I am allowed to keep it but really it is only on loan. However, I could trade it for coins that could be sold and be within the owner's wishes. But shame on the person who sells one with something like that one the coin page. (Actually I would like to say something stronger here :) )

What about the Fallen Heroes Coins? Those were all originally sold activated. So the account they are activated under is the owner, correct? More than one other seller has been listing those on ebay regularly and it looks like they are making quite a profit from them. We bought 2 of those from the original owner (they are not adoptable and this was stated clearly on the original sale page) that are traveling in honor of our family members who died in Iraq.

I think it stinks that people are buying sackfuls of these coins and then turning around and listing them on ebay at more than double the original price.

What people will do for a couple bucks is just beyond me. :)

I don't think it's right to sell another person's property no matter what it is unless you have explicit permission from the owner.

Activated coins should not be sold by anyone other than the person who activated it unless permission has been given by the person who activated it - aka the owner of said coin.

I think CCC you should lock that coin and put the reason it is locked on the coin's page.

MissJenn's recent comments regarding the lackey sum it up very nicely:

The 2007 Groundspeak Lackey Geocoin is a gift from Groundspeak to certain lucky geocachers.

As you may have noticed, they are already activated and owned by Signal The Frog. We asked Signal, and he said that he'd prefer to keep ownership of this set of coins. It is up to you, however, if you would like to send this coin travelling from geocache to geocache, or if you'd like to keep it in your personal collection.

and

Trading the coin amongst geocachers seems OK to me; you can grab it so that it shows as being in your hands. Selling the coin is not what Groundspeak intended at all. And anyway, if someone is selling one, will they be mailing that money to the owner of the coin?.

Edited by GPX Navigators

I think it's a big no no, it belongs to the owner, and only that person has the right to sell it. I also think that the people buying it are just as guilty as those selling it, they're buying stolen property and that is just wrong.

Edit to add-Always report it to ebay!

Edited by Hula Bum

OK, where would this fit into the mix of things. About a year and a half ago we purchased 2 identical coins from the same seller on ebay. (1 for us, and 1 for a family member that had wanted one.) When we got them in the mail we grabbed one of them and activated it to add to our collection, but the other one had already been activated by the seller. After several emails, it had been decided that the coin would just be adopted by us from the seller, but to this date that still hasn't happened. Every time we'd get an email back saying there was some kind of error that wouldn't allow the coin ownership to be transferred. I would never think of trying to sell the coin, but I can't see sending it out to travel either as we wouldn't be able to set its goal or change anything on the page for it at all. About the only good news to the story is that at least our family member was finally able to get one of them for themselves.

My issue with selling activated coins is, it could cause people to raid Geocaches for coins/TBs and start selling them on eBay.

It's theft, pure and simple. You don't own the coin outright, don't sell it. It's the same as putting a coin you found in a cache up for sale.

I agree with Christian totally here!

Whoever you are that did this, ($&%&%*#(!!!!! :D:unsure::)

I am sorry to hear you are having such enormous problems with one of your coins. I hven´t heard of it up ´till now. But as it reads it´s been clear that it is not supposed to be sold from the beginning.

I myself would never even think of selling a coin that was gifted to me, or thet I found in a cache. To me those coins are special, because in the moment another person was thinking of me or wanted to do something good. The coins that were gifted to me are my most precious ones.

I think it's a big no no, it belongs to the owner, and only that person has the right to sell it. I also think that the people buying it are just as guilty as those selling it, they're buying stolen property and that is just wrong.

I'm going to give the buyer the benefit of the doubt. I think sometimes they are unaware of the implications of buying these coins. Alot of times, it is the buyer who ends up with the bad end of the deal. They get a coin that is advertised as trackable, only to find the tracking locked.

What about the Fallen Heroes Coins? Those were all originally sold activated. So the account they are activated under is the owner, correct? More than one other seller has been listing those on ebay regularly and it looks like they are making quite a profit from them. We bought 2 of those from the original owner (they are not adoptable and this was stated clearly on the original sale page) that are traveling in honor of our family members who died in Iraq.

I think it stinks that people are buying sackfuls of these coins and then turning around and listing them on ebay at more than double the original price.

What people will do for a couple bucks is just beyond me. :D

I don't think it's right to sell another person's property no matter what it is unless you have explicit permission from the owner.

This is ridiculous....I find it grotesque to profit off something like this...My understanding was these coins were meant to travel to HONOR our fallen soldiers. I bought five and plan to release them on my caching adventures. Why haven't these auctions been pulled if they don't own them? Anyone who dominates the ebay scene no why?

Are there stolen coins also on ebay sold. :unsure:

I can't say I have seen one but I am sure some have sold.

What do people think of trading the coin away for other non-activated coins and then selling them?

Is this okay

Bob

PS I aint selling any of mine just musing

I guess if it wasn't stipulated on the coin page if it has been activated already or mentioned during your trade for the initial coin it would be okay....Too me it is still serving its purpose to be enjoyed by all..I guess you're making a profit off it if you trade then sell but .....

just my two cents.... I would follow the guidelines of the initial trade or stipulations on the coin page....

CCC that stinks about your coin....I hope whoever has it cuts it loose...but since they paid money for it I don't know that is going to happen so it looks like locking the coin may be your only option. I love mine, never giving it up....going to my grave with it ...how's that for CREEPY... :)

TO answer the OP question: IF it isn't yours (your geonick next to OWNER on TB page) how can you sell in good conscience without seeking the owner's permission....

OK, where would this fit into the mix of things. About a year and a half ago we purchased 2 identical coins from the same seller on ebay. (1 for us, and 1 for a family member that had wanted one.) When we got them in the mail we grabbed one of them and activated it to add to our collection, but the other one had already been activated by the seller. After several emails, it had been decided that the coin would just be adopted by us from the seller, but to this date that still hasn't happened. Every time we'd get an email back saying there was some kind of error that wouldn't allow the coin ownership to be transferred. I would never think of trying to sell the coin, but I can't see sending it out to travel either as we wouldn't be able to set its goal or change anything on the page for it at all. About the only good news to the story is that at least our family member was finally able to get one of them for themselves.

The excuse that there is an "error that wouldn't allow the coin ownership to be transferred" is bogus. I'm pretty sure Eartha or FSM could easily help walk them through the process and if there actually WAS a problem then TPTB at Groundspeak could fix it.

If the issue isn't resolved, then I'd report the person to eBay (unless their listing specifically said the coin was activated when you purchased it.)

Good luck!

What do people think of trading the coin away for other non-activated coins and then selling them?

Is this okay

Bob

PS I aint selling any of mine just musing

I think here it depends on the specific coin and what is written on the coin page. If it says something along the line of keep me, trade me, send me traveling just don't sell me, it is then obvious that you could trade to get something you can actually sell. Many times trade only coins whether activated or nontrackable are traded to get something that can be sold. However, if the specific coin says something like don't profit from this coin that could also mean don't trade it for a gaggle of coins because that is profiting

If you're buying on eBay, you don't alway know if the owner is the same person selling the coin. I see avroair has the same account on both sites so you know who he is but I have no idea about the other folks. That is why I stay away from all activated coins on eBay. If I know the person I may bid but otherwise, I have no idea if the coin was taken from a cache and being sold or if it's legit so I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

Your not the owner you can't sell.

If someone wants to trade you for an activated coin that you can sell that is between the 2 of you!

IMO i have no problem trading with some one for an active coin that they own on the condition that i can adopt it!

If in dire need and needed to sell off my collection my active coins would be sold here and adopted out and my non active would be e-placed! the mysteries and personals in my collection would be traded back to the giver for something i could sell unless they gave me permission to sell it!

Just my 2pence from across the pond!

Ljay

When I see it is an activated geocoin and it is for sale I assume it has been stolen. I will NEVER buy an activated geocoin on ebay or here.

Exception the owner/activator is selling it. Then only with lots of email and research.

Of course if I see an item on Ebay without the box and manuals then I assume it is stolen and will not buy it.

So their

I hope my $.02 helps.

kf4oox - Paul

What people will do for a couple bucks is just beyond me. :D

the problem here is that when you "buy" something, pay money for it, it is yours. period.

the fallen heroes coin seems to be a real strange one. how can you ask people for money for something and then tell them they don't own it. if the creators of the coin wanted to keep ownership of them and have them out there traveling around, they should have not sold them! but given them away. the people making money on this are the creators of the coin.

it seems to be only in the coin world can someone give something away, sell it or trade it and still have ultimate control over what happens to that coin. pure nonsense as far as i am concerned.

back to the original topic, if you have an coin that you do not own, you can't sell it. period.

all my gifted coins and mystery coins are safe from sales. in case anyone was wondering.

rsg

the problem here is that when you "buy" something, pay money for it, it is yours. period.

not true..if it's stolen or wasn't the sellers to sell, you don't own it. Ownership does not transfer just because you paid for it or possess it.

the fallen heroes coin seems to be a real strange one. how can you ask people for money for something and then tell them they don't own it. if the creators of the coin wanted to keep ownership of them and have them out there traveling around, they should have not sold them! but given them away. the people making money on this are the creators of the coin.

it seems to be only in the coin world can someone give something away, sell it or trade it and still have ultimate control over what happens to that coin. pure nonsense as far as i am concerned.

back to the original topic, if you have an coin that you do not own, you can't sell it. period.

all my gifted coins and mystery coins are safe from sales. in case anyone was wondering.

rsg

This is about ethics... If people know up front what stipulations a coin has and they still choose to purchase, then they should stick to that agreement. Like in the other thread going on...you don't have to buy it if the terms are not something you agree with.

This is not true. Having a nephew that is a police detective, let me tell you lots of stolen merchandise is recovered from people who bought it. Knowingly or NOT.

The police do not reimburse you for confiscating stolen property.

This is not true. Having a nephew that is a police detective, let me tell you lots of stolen merchandise is recovered from people who bought it. Knowingly or NOT.

The police do not reimburse you for confiscating stolen property.

ok, you know what i mean. i am talking about buying a coin from a vendor who says it is not yours to do with as you wish. sheesh! :D

rsg

This is about ethics... If people know up front what stipulations a coin has and they still choose to purchase, then they should stick to that agreement. Like in the other thread going on...you don't have to buy it if the terms are not something you agree with.

That's the exact reason I didn't "buy" one of those. I thought it was strange to buy a coin that would be owned by someone else. One could argue that they did it to cover the cost of production, but at the price they were sold there was some profit at the end. Perhaps they donated it to charity? Who knows.

That's the exact reason I didn't "buy" one of those. I thought it was strange to buy a coin that would be owned by someone else. One could argue that they did it to cover the cost of production, but at the price they were sold there was some profit at the end. Perhaps they donated it to charity? Who knows.

ditto

I don't think there was any profit from the original sales of these coins. They sold for $5.99 with $1 of that donated to Fisher House. I don't see how any profit could be squeezed out of that price.

The reason we bought two is that we had them activated (by the people who volunteered to do the activating of over 800 coins) in our family members' names who were killed in Iraq.

I think the people who had this coin made, activated and sold were doing a truly wonderful thing and I am proud to have been even a small part of it.

No, I don't 'own' the coins. And I don't care about that part of it, I can watch them travel anyway.

RESELLING them is the only issue I have with it, as the resellers DO NOT have permission from the owner.

If you don't know for a fact that the seller is the owner of the coin, then you shouldn't be buying it. There are a lot of people, unfortunately, who just have to have the coin, and know full well that what they are buying is stolen.

If you're buying on eBay, you don't alway know if the owner is the same person selling the coin. I see avroair has the same account on both sites so you know who he is but I have no idea about the other folks. That is why I stay away from all activated coins on eBay. If I know the person I may bid but otherwise, I have no idea if the coin was taken from a cache and being sold or if it's legit so I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.