Coin In Orbit!

Nate Grumby

Maybe you need to create a virtual cache out there (if they were still available) to log the coin. I can just imagine TPTB reviewing it

Travel 22K miles straight up into geosynchronous orbit. Look behind you - which planet do you see :-) take a photo

Special equipment needed - space shuttle or rocket

Handicap access - yes once you have the special equipment

Terrain - none

Off-road vehicle - essential

Scenic view - Yes

Takes less than an hour - No

or maybe the first real cache in the interntional space station. Wonder what any aliens finding it would think of our "coinage" :-)

Sue

Hello!

Due to a happy circumstance, our family has a geocoin going up on the space shuttle STS-122. I think it will travel about 5 million miles.

Yay.

Pity I can't virtually log every cache it flies over, but I suppose that would be cheating.

Now THAT's a first.... even Moun10bike has to be impressed with being one uped on that one!! :huh::(;):D Hope you'll post pics to the coin's page and let us know it's TB#.

Terrain - none

:huh::(;)

i wonder what a GPSr would do if you took it into space, especially 'above' the satellites. :D

in any case, we want photos!

B)

and wouldn't it be uber-cool to get a photo of a geocoin with a GPS satellite and earth in the background! B)

:D

It would be kinda neat to log a discovery of the coin if I can see the shuttle or ISS when the coin is on board.

This website gives information on when best to view the shuttle and ISS.... and iridium flares.

http://www.heavens-above.com/

How about if I take a picture of my GPSr at a given location when the shuttle or ISS is viewable at that location? (This would only count for the time-frame that the coin is in orbit.)

OMG - how cool!!! I've often thought that would be an absolutely awesome thing. I actually wondered if anyone had tried to mint a geocoin on the theme, have them all travel on a STS mission and then sell them. That would be cool.

Anyway - congratulations Nate Grumby!!

Maybe you need to create a virtual cache out there (if they were still available) to log the coin. I can just imagine TPTB reviewing it

Travel 22K miles straight up into geosynchronous orbit. Look behind you - which planet do you see :-) take a photo

Special equipment needed - space shuttle or rocket

Handicap access - yes once you have the special equipment

Terrain - none

Off-road vehicle - essential

Scenic view - Yes

Takes less than an hour - No

or maybe the first real cache in the interntional space station. Wonder what any aliens finding it would think of our "coinage" :-)

Sue

Naw...make it an Earthcache with the coords being somewhere near launch site. Have the cachers board a shuttlecraft, go to launch and liftoff and estimate how many seconds it took for "freefall" to begin, then calculate the distance based on the speed that NASA gives you. Take of picture of yourself or your group in free fall, thank you.

Whata 5/5!

Dang - it might fly!

THIS IS JUST THE NEATEST THING!!!! A geocoin in orbit!

Edited by ATMouse

Hello!

Due to a happy circumstance, our family has a geocoin going up on the space shuttle STS-122. I think it will travel about 5 million miles.

Yay.

Pity I can't virtually log every cache it flies over, but I suppose that would be cheating.

You've got to get a cache placed on that shuttle or better yet on the the space station! Wow! :anibad:

Congratulations!!! The first coin in orbit ... :tired:

Wow, that's great, wonderful!

And what about a real cache at the ISS, and if it is only a nano-container... I wonder if that's possible... :anibad: If I had the money I would love to go out there... (even without a cache :tired: )

Steinwälzer

All of space available and someone thinks "hey what a great place for a micro!"

*sigh*

What would be very cool is to have a coin made prior to the December mission that looked like their mission patch. 178167main_sts122-s-001a.jpg Give the crew a set and sell the others. Congrats in any case!

Now that would be a very cool coin! And anyone who wants a picture of the coin with the launch in the background, or to start out in a cache near KSC called "Touch The Moon", just contact me! Wow, that would be fun!

Every 90 minutes, you should log it into a cache in China and then back in a cache in the US. :lol: An even more interesting challenge would be to take the ISS path (which is a known path) and then log it into a cache along the path every 10 minutes over the course of the mission (I know, this would be WAY too much work). The resulting traveler map would be awesome. :)

--Marky

Wow, that's great, wonderful!

And what about a real cache at the ISS, and if it is only a nano-container... I wonder if that's possible... :lol: If I had the money I would love to go out there... (even without a cache :) )

Steinwälzer

All of space available and someone thinks "hey what a great place for a micro!"

*sigh*

Excellent point :lol:

Terrain - none

:):(:)

i wonder what a GPSr would do if you took it into space, especially 'above' the satellites. :)

in any case, we want photos!

:D

and wouldn't it be uber-cool to get a photo of a geocoin with a GPS satellite and earth in the background! :D

:lol:

It would be kinda neat to log a discovery of the coin if I can see the shuttle or ISS when the coin is on board.

This website gives information on when best to view the shuttle and ISS.... and iridium flares.

http://www.heavens-above.com/

How about if I take a picture of my GPSr at a given location when the shuttle or ISS is viewable at that location? (This would only count for the time-frame that the coin is in orbit.)

Thanks for the tip, Jake. I have joined heavens-above.com. Going to try and photograph the ISS when it flies over my location on Thursday morning 9/13/07. Hope for good weather.

Edited by slowdownracer

Hello!

I've been out of the loop, but here are some answers to some of the questions...

1) Thanks, this is indeed 'Cool.'

2) No, they won't drop it from orbit. NASA is touchy about stuff flying around at 17000 mph at that altitude.

3) I will post pictures of the coin, the astronaut, the launch, and anything else I can get.

4) Can't make the ISS into a cache...it will fill up with Happy Meal Toys.

5) I will get the coin back, from Dr. Love (yes, that is his name) when he visits after his mission. He gets to go on PR trips, and he hopes to get up here...

6) This didn't cost anything, just knowing him since junior high school and being his best man at his wedding. Sort of like a lottery...

7) The GPS sattelites are in a much higher orbit...and I have no idea what a GPS would do if you were' above' them. I'll ask...the NASA types might be using them for some weird navigation calcs.

8) I've asked Groundspeak to see if this coin could be logged through some sort of cache or event or something...will let you know what they say.

9) The coin that is flying is a CRAKE astrolabe geocoin. I'll see if there is a photo of one on-line and post it.

10) Most personal items that an astronaut takes up have to fit in a box 5" by 8" by 2" thick, and the total items in the box have to weigh less than about 1.5 pounds. That sort of nixes the idea of smuggling myself on board. Our family is also sending a rookie card of Scottie Gomez (NHL wingman) and a small icon of St. Herman of Alaska.

I'll keep you all posted on how to log the coin, Groundspeaks response, and all photos I manage to get.

Nate Grumby