Sig lines

After three totally goofy emails chastising me for my sig line I am now curious!

How and why did you choose yours? Do you change it frequently?

Mine is actually high praise to the invaluable role attorneys play in a free society, but it seems not many folks actually read Shakespeare (or William Jennings Bryan) and take it at face value.

To understand that quote, I suppose, one must also understand those found at http://www.ggreen.com/Just%20For%20Fun/fam...tesinthelaw.htm

So, let's hear about yours!

Ed

geocaching: Wayyy more chances to contract West Nile, or Lyme Disease than the average person.-Snoogans (sometime in 2003)

NEVER give a geocacher a horse! -Snoogans (5/2006)

Both of my sigs have the ring of truth to them.

The top line in my current sig has been there for a long time. I came up with it for a geocaching t-shirt contest on TXGA.

The second one is recent and speaks for itself. From my vast experience, many most geocachers have a hard time NOT lookin' a gift horse in the mouth. :D

Edited by Snoogans

#1 is my favorite quote by RL and my answer to the whole "which GPS is better/should I buy" debate.

#2 is my answer to the whole "when is a cache found/logged" debate that blew up recently.

#3 is how I approach geocaching, I love where I end up, but it is the journey that does it for me.

sometimes you may also see:

Sad story, gotta smoke? quote from Snake Pliskin, Escape from New York/L.A (Kurt Russel)

My sig line "Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse." is something that I firmly beleive in. Too many people don't realize that their actions, no matter how small affect other people.

The thought first came to me 25 years ago when I was sitting in front of an interview board while applying for a job with the Sheriff's Dept. These people could make my dream come true, or simply dismiss me. To them I was just another applicant. I got the job, but I never forgot that feeling.

I've been in management for years and I've always tried to keep in mind the affect my actions have on people that work for me. The same consideration goes to my family.

I got an email several years ago asking permission to use the quote in a book of quotations. I haven't a clue as to how they happened acrossed it, or the book it was used in, if at all.

El Diablo

Mine is a play off an old George Carlin line, but I can attest that it is the absolute truth. Living with three of the beasts, there is a lot of it in my house. I have yet to find an industrial strength cleaner that can remove it without dissolving the underlying structure.

Other K9 handlers just start shaking their heads and laugh. Deputyhound says we should patent this miraculous substance-- that it could outsell SuperGlue.

Hmm, maybe it could be used in the construction of some cache cammo.... :D

Mine is a play off an old George Carlin line, (snip)

I had one in my sig for a long time too:

Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when we die, our souls go up onto the roof and get stuck there. - George Carlin

As a Frisbeetarian, my greatest fear is of dying at work. – Snoogans

Ok. Explaining my current siglines, although they may be changed in the future. I have exceeded my character limit, even with using tinyurl.com:

The elephant referance....um, not really explainable without being overboard....let's just say it has something to do with two cachers named Torry and Lep. :D

I like hugs. I'm jest warning everybody. :D

I live right in the center of WA. The link takes you to my tour guide waymark in the Waymarking site.

I have a line that links to a picture of my most recent milestone cache picture. The last several have been pictures of me with various friends and family that I have celebrated those milestones with. :D

The last two quotes are self explanatory, basically. I have gone through a lot of changes in this last year and a half. A lot have to do with being sick, losing some people to death, and with gaining a lot of new friends through cheers/the gc.com forums, and geocaching. Basically, life is short....enjoy it to the mostest.

Last is my favorite geocaching-type bible verse. :D

Edited by Ambrosia

After three totally goofy emails chastising me for my sig line I am now curious!

How and why did you choose yours? Do you change it frequently?

Mine is actually high praise to the invaluable role attorneys play in a free society, but it seems not many folks actually read Shakespeare (or William Jennings Bryan) and take it at face value.

To understand that quote, I suppose, one must also understand those found at http://www.ggreen.com/Just%20For%20Fun/fam...tesinthelaw.htm

So, let's hear about yours!

Ed

And here I thought you were just busting on Keystone.... :D

As for mine, I was just trying to come up with some original sigs that had a ring of truth to them and reflected my take on caching and cachers.

And here I thought you were just busting on Keystone....

Actually I thought of it to give a geocacher friend who is a lawyer a hard time.

Later that same day my personal attorney blessed me with the news that a lawsuit I thought was going nowhere was in fact won, and my retirement income assured. Thanks to him I can geocache every day for the rest of my life, how cool is that?!

Both things made me realize I like lawyers, I like them a lot!! :D

The very last "Calvin and Hobbes," by Waterson, Sunday, December 31, 1995.

Waterson was a wild success, but he just got tired of doing the strip. If you don't have it, or can't find it, here is my poor understanding of the cartoon.C & H are out sledding. The background in all images is plain white, with a few snow-covered trees. The snow represents a blank sheet of paper. Among the quotes are:

C: Isn't it [the bare snow field] wonderful?"

H: "Everything familiar has disappeared! The world looks brand-new!"

C: "A new year ... a fresh clean start!"

The last frame(s) are an exquisitely drawn hill, absolutely minimally inked, and C&H are riding their toboggan down the hill, out of the image frame, and out of Waterson's life, but not out of yours or mine.

The last lines are by Calvin: "It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy ... Let's go exploring!"

On 31 Dec 1995 my wife and I had been retired exactly four years. We were in a new community, a new environment, and doing new things. We felt it expressed our situation perfectly.

Our copy is mounted and framed, and hangs prominently on a wall in our family room. On the back of the frame is a column from the Washington Post, 3 Jan 1996, p. A3, by Amy E. Schwartz, "Calvin and Hobbes: Childhood's End" It is worth reading.

Geocaching is just one of the new things in life that we are exploring.

I was wondering how long till someone wrote me a hate email about mine... None yet, but I have only had it two days. I guess I should say that the first part of the quote is just to say that everyone likes something different and what appeals to one cacher might not to another and SO what. I don't like white cars but they still make them. The last line is to let people know that I am a large woman and I am not insecure or angry about it and that geocaching can be done by everyone no matter there size, shape or physical abilities. Another post in the forum mentioned that some cachers are so fat they can't do 5/5 caches. It started to bother me a little and I asked my fit (former active military) husband if he would be happier if I could climb mountains and repel and that sort of stuff. He replied: "why would I be happier, I don't want to climb mountains either."

I was wondering how long till someone wrote me a hate email about mine... None yet, but I have only had it two days. I guess I should say that the first part of the quote is just to say that everyone likes something different and what appeals to one cacher might not to another and SO what. I don't like white cars but they still make them. The last line is to let people know that I am a large woman and I am not insecure or angry about it and that geocaching can be done by everyone no matter there size, shape or physical abilities. Another post in the forum mentioned that some cachers are so fat they can't do 5/5 caches. It started to bother me a little and I asked my fit (former active military) husband if he would be happier if I could climb mountains and repel and that sort of stuff. He replied: "why would I be happier, I don't want to climb mountains either."

I read your sig, and was hoping it would end up like this:

The quality of a cache is determined by the sights you see on the journey to it, by the places you discover in finding it, and by the camaraderie you experience along the way.

The whole ice cream thing was a bit anti-climatic after that great lead in. Although, just this past week after a 5 mile 2 cache hike I was quite glad for the ice cream shop just a mile down the road. :D

Moxie is a soft drink from New England. It was origionally toted as a nerve tonic, and was said to cure ailments ranging from softening of the brain to “loss of manhood. It was very popular in it's heyday... and was a precursor to Coca-cola. It came to mean "spirited and courageous". The drink is still quite popular in New England, even though it is way too bitter for most modern tastes...

moxie.gif

We named our dog Moxie, as she has plenty of spirit... plus we liked the name.

Our sig line plays on both usages of the word. It takes moxie to go caching, and we always cache with Moxie!

The whole ice cream thing was a bit anti-climatic after that great lead in. Although, just this past week after a 5 mile 2 cache hike I was quite glad for the ice cream shop just a mile down the road.

Atleast I didn't say a quality cache was determined by the NUMBER of ice cream shops nearby!

Anyhow.. I am happy that Doc was inspired, now he gets the climax and I still get the ice cream. :D

I think I am going to add an "ethics" section too my profile too.

I like Crystalndave's sigline. I always think of ice cream anyhow when people complain that some kinds of caches aren't of some sufficient quality and this is just another reason why the people who are quick to criticize some style of hide or size of container ought to recognize that Baskin-Robbins sells 31 flavors for a reason. :D

My sigline was something I heard a Willie Nelson look-alike say at a party at Billy Bob's in Ft. Worth. I thought it applies. (Oh, the Kanji characters is my geocaching name)

Edited by tozainamboku
"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious."

I was actually looking for a quote for my sig line and found it online. I thought it applied to caching, because there was a discussion on people not closing cache containers right........ on ammo cans.

For info on Lowrance units, and using them for Geocaching, check out the Lowrance Users Geocaching Guide

A shameless plug for my website.

Visit the Kentucky- Tennessee Area Geocachers (KTAG) site!

A plug for my local caching group and their web site.

I change up, every once in awhile .

I love this one... "Some people...."

Also, I use:

"Those of you who think you know it all, really irritate those of us who do, in fact know it all"

"I want to die like my grandfather, quietly in my sleep. Not screaming like the other people in his car."

And:

"Do you walk to work or carry your lunch and if so, why not ?"

or

"42"

I like Crystalndave's sigline. I always think of ice cream anyhow when people complain that some kinds of caches aren't of some sufficient quality and this is just another reason why the people who are quick to criticize some style of hide or size of container ought to recognize that Baskin-Robbins sells 31 flavors for a reason. :D

Just one quick off topic post: Given my past interactions with tozainamboku, and his bringing up of cache variety, I must say this: Baskin-Robbins still does not sell a garbage dumpster flavor of icecream. :D

I must also point him to my sig line. I think it is very appropriate in this setting.

Mine is from a quote I read in ESPN The Magazine from the mayor of a European town commenting on the proposal that small love shacks booths, about the size of an outhouse, be built around his city to curb the problem of people having sex with soliciting the services of prostitutes in the wilds of the city parks. When I read it it sounded more like geocaching than anything else.

edited: To not be offensive to others. Is that better for you now? I also added a little more to where I got it from and why I use it so I don't sound like the perv that you think I am.

Edited by hikergps

I tried to think of something funny for my sig line... but then I remembered that I'm not funny so instead I used my favorite quote by my favorite philosopher (me). "Walk slow, run fast" is a blatant disagreement to a quote that was popular where I used to live that said "moderation in all things". I figure, if you're not going to do something completely and as extreme as possible, you might as well not do it at all. Then since I am a runner, I had to put it in terms of my own personality.